Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I have to say I have been really unimpressed with this season, but Jonn King's :effort: moderation of the primary debate had me rolling. Most realistic thing to happen on this show???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having just rewatched both seasons 1 and 2 before this one, I really prefer this season to 2 by a fair margin. 2 was very uneven and had some things that were just plain half-baked. 3 feels a lot more like they mapped out a plan and worked toward it with every episode. It sacrifices the ups but also the downs, so it balances out.

Also holy poo poo there needs to be something starring Mads and Lars Mikkelssen and Christoph Waltz all at once.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

I really don't get Doug's syringe thing at all /

Doug's a creepy fuckin dude who does creepy fuckin poo poo, you can tell this by looking at him

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed this year's card house, overall. The second to last scene had me leaning into the TV and practically on the floor in font of the TV like a child. It's hard to match 'knock, knock' for a closer, but if 'I'm leaving you' had hit closer to the Frank/Claire confrontation the finale would have been better. The intense Frank moment and the emotional cliffhanger seemed to be much tighter last year.

qbert posted:

Holy poo poo the product placement.

Monument Valley literally ends unemployment in America.

The Monument Valley placement felt pretty natural, aided by knowing that the Playstation placement in the last season wasn't paid. I can sorta work through someone in his 50s having a mildly 'unorthodox' video game addiction, and the idea of an insane, power-hungry VPOTUS playing CoD with 12 year olds was hilarious. The idea of anyone willingly using a Windows Phone is pretty hard to rationalize, though.

And, really, I don't know what it is about their product placement, but I can basically tell which of my friends hasn't gotten through the first few House of Cards episodes based on statuses about Microsoft products in House of Cards.

Additionally:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Pussy riot was gooooooooood

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 28, 2015

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Only a few episodes in but

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Franks jobs plan is bad on so many levels.

Any economist will tell you that 0% unemployment is not a goal anyone should want. Low unemployment, yes. Zero unemployment, no.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Small White Dragon posted:

Only a few episodes in but

Any economist will tell you that 0% unemployment is not a goal anyone should want. Low unemployment, yes. Zero unemployment, no.

Lol if you think politics has anything to do with economics.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh hey, Doug hosed his physical therapist. Boy, I sure didn't see that one coming from a mile away.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I haven't watched anything yet but goddamn, I didn't think topping the killing of the dog in ridiculousness was humanly possible and yet here we are with Underwood literally pissing on his fathers grave. :vince:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh hey, Doug hosed his physical therapist. Boy, I sure didn't see that one coming from a mile away.

To be fair, having consensual, not paid for sex is something new for Doug.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually never heard of Monument Valley before and now I want to play it :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GaussianCopula posted:

To be fair, having consensual, not paid for sex is something new for Doug.
I legitimately laughed when he asked her if she did it out of pity and she replied "No. I did it because I'm getting on a plane today and I'll probably never see you again, so why not?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Most of this show is just a standard, ridiculous potboiler, but goddammit everything involving Gavin stresses me the gently caress out. Jimmi Simpson is pretty great, and something about the way his character is constantly mega-hosed makes me anxious as hell.

Edit: Freddy waiting in the unemployment line :gonk:

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 28, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The coolest President is a President who suggests to a kid that he could become President someday if he gets good grades in school and does his homework in a White House office or goes to a different office and plays the President's personal PlayStation :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"I have only one thing to say: Go gently caress yourself. Christ, that felt good."

This season really picks up in the last few episodes, hardcore. Doug falling off the wagon was great.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I really don't get Doug's syringe thing at all /

He was 'medicating'. He was in pain and tried to white knuckle things rather than take the prescription, and when he ran out of pills he decided booze would take his pain away. But like a guy falling off the waggon trying to convince himself that he is not falling off the wagon he is taking steps to make it feel medicinal.

Why he needs a hooker to do it... That I'm at a loss for, but it was a pretty good look at addiction.

Also Jesus that poor end for Rachel. I'd assumed the water was just poisoned, and when he went back I was worried we were going to get rock 2.0. Instead it's just the van jump cutting to her shallow grave. loving amazing shot.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Well, egg on my face; from some of the foreshadowing in the early eps I was certain the show would go for the big finish this season.

The plot felt aimless without a specific and ambitious goal for Frank. At first it seemed as though it was going to be about leaving a radical policy legacy, but that arc was allowed to fizzle, and winning Iowa makes for the least exciting aspiration so far.

I'm glad they beefed up Elizabeth Marvel's role, since she's got a really great presence. What the hell happened with Benito Martinez' character, though? They wrote him such an abrupt offscreen exit that it comes off as though he left the show mid-production.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Eh, since the storyline became focused around the Democratic primary, I can understand him fading to the background.

I'd vote for Dunbar.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Lycus posted:

Eh, since the storyline became focused around the Democratic primary, I can understand him fading to the background.

I'd vote for Dunbar.

Mendoza didn't just fade out, though, he was explicitly and awkwardly written out. There's a scene where they visit his former office, and Frank has this hasty little monologue explaining that he resigned in scandal / died on the way back to his home planet.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 28, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Pfft, missed that. I'm guessing they're not gonna do much of a storyline about the general then.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
This season felt a bit haphazard but I still really enjoyed it. I don't get if Freddie hates Frank (was there something to that effect in season 2?) or actually enjoy his company, but he is a sweet character. Jackie & Dunbar are great characters too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't think Freddie ever hated Frank. In season 2, he just didn't want any help after the restaurant deal collapsed. And here I think he was just saying that Frank's bloviating gets annoying after a while, which is understandable.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 28, 2015

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

So I don't have a Windows phone, can anyone who does tell me if they all have the 'Achievement unlocked' Xbox sound as a default text alert sound?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Boatswain posted:

This season felt a bit haphazard but I still really enjoyed it. I don't get if Freddie hates Frank (was there something to that effect in season 2?) or actually enjoy his company, but he is a sweet character. Jackie & Dunbar are great characters too.

Frank just seems to overestimate his friendship with Freddy. They smile and joke and have good conversation, but Frank arrogantly presumes that can bridge the gap between their worlds and Freddy knows that's bullshit. Frank might be Freddy's favourite ultra-wealthy white politician, but he's still an ultra-wealthy white politician.

Freddy's conversation with his grandson carries an interesting extra weight in the context of an AU with no President Obama.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
This season feels a lot weaker than the last two seasons. I think half the reason why I loved this show was watching Frank being ahead of the competion and out smarting everyone ruthlessly. Watching his ruthlessness bite him in the rear end is a bit boring to watch when most of his 'opposition' such as the congressional leadership haven't had significant on-screen time.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
First episode sucked. I didn't wait months to watch somebody who really should have been dead do rehab. What a horrible start.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahahahaha, Meechum.

"Too bad about the book."
"You don't really mean that."
"No, I don't."

:allears:

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
The jump cut for Rachel in the grave surprised the hell out of me, I was really hoping that she'd be fine :ohdear:. Big juxtaposition between how long it took to get to point the first time versus the second time

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
So it's down to Frank, Doug and Seth against the world now. Really hoping to see Frank butt heads with Petrov again in S4. Playing high stakes between two nuclear powers was the best.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, I just finished. Goddamn, that last episode was intense all the way through. Doug was in full blown psycho killer mode for a while there. And I was sure Claire was going to end up doing what she did, I was just waiting for it to happen. When it finally happened, man, that was glorious. Hell of a way to end a season.

I'll agree that it was probably the weakest of the 3 seasons, but that's not to say that it wasn't good because it totally was. I was engaged all the way through.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The coolest President is a President who suggests to a kid that he could become President someday if he gets good grades in school and does his homework in a White House office or goes to a different office and plays the President's personal PlayStation :v:

When the kid asked "What games you got!?" I was expecting Kevin Spacey to get really excited and list off his favorites.
Anyway, I got a couple episodes left.

"5 year olds that would rather be playing Minecraft"

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 28, 2015

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I wonder if it goes the Nixon route where he loses then comes back years later weirdly charismatic with a secret plan to save America while remaining totally sinister and constantly on the verge of unhinged

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Boy, Doug sure hates laptops.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

Boy, Doug sure hates laptops.

:lol: I just saw that too.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I have to say I'm little surprised Frank won Iowa. I thought they were setting him up to lose and have New Hampshire be a must win since South Carolina would be seen as irrelevant on account of being F.U.'s home state.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Leave Cassie alone Doug. :ohdear:

edit: quick prediction: Doug is literally digging his own grave

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 28, 2015

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Just finished the second episode of season 3 and, uh, this guy is completely loving unelectable. Seriously, Frank feels like he would get impeached after his first speech solely for unlikability. At least he didn't announce he was going to try to run as a Republican, which is well within the realms of this shows stupidity.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Franks jobs plan is bad on so many levels.

Yeah, from a Democrat, no less, it just seems ridiculous. He is a pretty awful Politician in that his policies are bad and he is constantly making enemies and burning bridges. I kinda hope the show ends with Frank turning America into a third-world country by season 5. That would be pretty sweet.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 28, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Supercar Gautier posted:

Frank just seems to overestimate his friendship with Freddy. They smile and joke and have good conversation, but Frank arrogantly presumes that can bridge the gap between their worlds and Freddy knows that's bullshit. Frank might be Freddy's favourite ultra-wealthy white politician, but he's still an ultra-wealthy white politician.

Freddy's conversation with his grandson carries an interesting extra weight in the context of an AU with no President Obama.

House of Cards Season 30: Freddy's grandson, our first black president.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Man I hope someone kills Doug in season 4.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Man I hope someone kills Doug in season 4.

Either this or that he becomes president. What a fucker.

• Locked thread