Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm confused; was the tibetan chanting during (i.e. not the in the end of) episode 7 supposed to be diegetic or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Small White Dragon posted:

Only a few episodes in but

Any economist will tell you that 0% unemployment is not a goal anyone should want. Low unemployment, yes. Zero unemployment, no.

Lol if you think politics has anything to do with economics.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
This season felt a bit haphazard but I still really enjoyed it. I don't get if Freddie hates Frank (was there something to that effect in season 2?) or actually enjoy his company, but he is a sweet character. Jackie & Dunbar are great characters too.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

My prediction: Frank is not electable even with his policies improving things, and prior to the general election, Meechum, on the orders of Claire to secure his legacy, assassinates Frank, allowing his protege to take the election, and Claire will be the VP. I just nopticed that is a rip-off of the origninal Manchurian Candidate, but I could see the Underwoods going in that direction.

It is also how the original House of Cards ended, more or less.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Frank really ought to manufacture a big war, the best way to unite the nation :911:

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I don't think that Frank's rhetoric was more disingenuous or far-fetched than what you see every election?

EatinCake posted:

ep.13 Hate Frank

I've begun watching the original British House of Cards... it's so. british. Within the first 5 minutes Frank is hunting birds with a dog.

Don't you mean Francis :colbert: Mr. Urquhart be furious if you'd call him Frank.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
In the British version Francis reinstates the national service and sends his men down to Cyprus to quell a rebellion against the British-friendly governor IIRC. That Francis is also obsessed with outlasting Thatcher but I can't recall if he does. It is a more interesting agenda anyways.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Petrov is fun, but if they're making a spinoff it should be about Iowa Mom. :colbert:

I recognize her put couldn't find her name. Any ideas?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I do have to say, the scene where the camera pans over the people standing in line for America Works while Frank's voice bellows over the loudspeaker like some kind of Banana Republic dictator was really quite striking. But then that whole storyline basically just got tossed aside to concentrate on the nomination race (and we only got to see Iowa, which really means nothing in terms of the race) and quickly faded from memory. And that's after watching all 13 episodes across a couple of days, imagine if there had been 6-7 weeks between that episode and the final.

Yup they had some great shots, the desert scenes in the last episode where nice too.

Jonny Angel posted:

Yeah that was probably the best shot in this season - it was really chilling to have those different registers of imagery, with hopeful job seekers and Frank's loudspeaker propaganda and 4th of July fireworks and a loving FEMA tent like there's been an Ebola outbreak. I was a big fan.

Or a labour camp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
He ought to invade Mexico.

• Locked thread