Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

As a child I was convinced this was the best non-cartoon on TV. I also watched The New Yankee Workshop and This Old House but they're not as interesting. This show was top-tier entertainment for the reckless child.

Really into learning how furniture was made.

Look at these chairs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qCqMiUOZ2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
thank you for sharing your memories, op

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
it's ok to like gay men

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

thank you for sharing your memories, op

yw

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

gnarlyhotep posted:

it's ok to like gay men

He's not gay he just makes benches that are really swell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiKsRsplB3g

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I've never heard of this show but he looks like a friendly dude and carpentry is super.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Looks like Benderdicks's Cumherbtach's father.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
they're gay as hell, but that's not what matters

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

gnarlyhotep posted:

they're gay as hell, but that's not what matters

No! This is not a gay thing, this is a thing of oak and pine

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
lol wood

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
lol wood

e: f;b

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I just watched the whole video in the OP and it was actually really entertaining.

I need to sleep.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

i like pbs programming

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This show was the boring version of The Router Workshop with Peanut and Knothead

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
I want to learn how to work wood because I am a hipster and that seems like the next logical step after the beard thing

not joking

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Woodwrong's Shop

Every episode he would pick up a shoe or a video tape and ask if this is wood and people would yell NO and that was it

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

shyduck posted:

The Woodwrong's Shop

Every episode he would pick up a shoe or a video tape and ask if this is wood and people would yell NO and that was it

we need a video of this

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Love the Woodwright's Shop and the New Yankee Workshop. Fun fact the host of the Woodwright's shop used to be the master carpenter at a colonial village. In one of the early episodes he takes you to work with him, and you get to see how crappy it was to live in the olden times!

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

what is this, i dont know im not old

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Starring Gaëtan Dugas

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Love the Woodwright's Shop and the New Yankee Workshop. Fun fact the host of the Woodwright's shop used to be the master carpenter at a colonial village. In one of the early episodes he takes you to work with him, and you get to see how crappy it was to live in the olden times!

answer: real crappy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
and that is true, at least early on some episodes weren't for building stuff per se, they were in-depth explanations of the tools for traditional woodworking. there is a two-parter about hand planes, for example.

the description is:

quote:

Roy gives us the history of a wide selection of classic hand planes, and explains the wide variety of specialized uses.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I liked that show too, Roy knew his poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Myron Baloney posted:

I liked that show too, Roy knew his poo poo.

technically it's still on. like, they're still making new episodes. it's been on air continuously since 1979.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Does anybody with knowledge of The Router Workshop know why that bald guy had a huge knot at the top of his head? Was it a router accident?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I had a childhood obsession with wood too. Its made me the man I am today.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
lol if Sewing with Nancy wasn't your favorite show as a kid

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Pick posted:

technically it's still on. like, they're still making new episodes. it's been on air continuously since 1979.
I will have to look for it then. I have a lot of respect for Roy, he often tried things that you could tell he had just researched for the episode and he still usually pulled it off.

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax
i want to go on a mustache ride now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

amityville anus posted:

Does anybody with knowledge of The Router Workshop know why that bald guy had a huge knot at the top of his head? Was it a router accident?

Oh man, I love playing around with routers. When I'm rich I'm going to have a woodshop.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
I really liked it OP. Very good show.
That's sad that in my country we didn't got any of this kind.
Also I liked this show guy. This makes me think I'm a gay so this is a terrible show. I hate you OP!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
OP that didn't address the issue in my question. Why did the bald guy have that cartoon sized bump on the top of his head? Was he "hammered" before every show?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

I: Since you're now on television and employed by Colonial Williamsburg, things obviously came around. How did that happen?

It was spring, and my bees had started to swarm. I was losing my hives, and I knew I had to go out and get them. I ended up climbing high in this box elder tree to catch a swarm-something I'd never done before. It was a real low point; I thought I might just have to give up. I sat there in the tree and said to myself, "The bees are gone . . . I'm going to have to stop doing what I want to do . . . I've got to give up dreaming about what I want to do and find some kind of profession that society values."

To make a long story short, I caught the swarm, got down from the tree, and managed to climb down the ladder with all these honeybees, thinking all the while, "I could fall and get stung to death." But I managed to get them back in the hive.

I: All right!

Yeah, I felt so good about that accomplishment that I had a beer. Now I usually don't drink . . . but it was a hot day, and I'd conquered the bees, and we had some people over, so I drank a beer.

Then the phone rang, and it was the TV station. The pilot had gone over like gangbusters with the national PBS network. They were ready to start filming it. I said great.

I don't remember whether I had another beer or not, but I was so excited I probably did. Then ten minutes later, Colonial Williamsburg called, saying they wanted me to start work as soon as I could. Within half an hour, I'd gone from the bottom to the top. So that's my message to your readers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP3sS1u4fSo

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

lol if Sewing with Nancy wasn't your favorite show as a kid

Holy poo poo that brings back memories! She had some kind of facial palsy or something that was strangely captivating for me as a child...

Also Woodwright's Shop was way better than the other woodworking shows because he never used power tools and his hands were all gnarled and cut up from workin that wood.

Anyone remember Hometime? That poo poo was 10 year old me's jam too.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
This looks like one of those children's shows that tricks you into learning about Jesus.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

this looks pretty cool, woodworking is neat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
poo poo, I have a grownup obsession with the Woodwright's Shop.

woodworking is very, very awesome and ive been casually doing it just for utility purposes for years. most recently i built a two shelf radio desk out of some stair stringers and banister rails i found on markdown at lowe's.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Yo I was just looking for something like this to watch while I smoked a bowl.

ty op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Woah this old guy is ~wacky as gently caress

• Locked thread