Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Being a kid in some whatever high school in a who-cares city in Japan, you were pretty much willing to concede to a cubicle'd future in a few years. Just finish out school, move away from the parents, and live a boring life in the same boring city. So, who knows why you decided that weird, super campy bakery that just opened up really appealed to you, but it did. You applied, got the job, and put yourself to a slightly awkward but still pretty boring part-time job dealing with dinner rush and closing up shop for a pretty eccentric Miss Boulanger.

It was pretty easy to just wave off all the weird decorations as something a foreigner would bring along and consider not incredibly gaudy or out of place. But, one night when Boulanger had already left, you and your co-workers decided to poke at that weird puzzle box she had explicitly told you all not to touch. Had to get the curiosity out, after all! When someone pressed the button at the top though, the box didn't unfold like expected. Instead, the room around you did.

From one side, you saw a field with a giant dinosaur charging towards you. On another, an army of footsoldiers runs through a cloud of arrows, brandishing their swords. Yet another, a pair of American men in black suits and sunglasses hold up metal tubes at you. As you spin about. nothing's still in the same place as before. You and your friends don't even look the same anymore. You're all dressed up in knight's armor, or wearing some kind of sentai costume, or looking like some kind of mecha pilot, weird stuff like that. Everything you see seems to be pointed at this weird void you're spinning around in, and right before enough settles in that you can start panicking, it all stops.

"One big rule, and I find you all breaking it. Honestly, if I hadn't forgotten my beret you'd be in much more trouble!"

Turns out your weird foreigner boss is also a time traveller who set up shop here because of the ungodly number of time paradoxes converging on the city. Stuff you glazed over before wasn't just weird promotions for the latest manga or something like that, they were actual glitches in time, and they were coming from all over the world to converge here. And now that her secret's slipped out, she offers you a promotion of sorts.

When you use the Timepiece, as Boulanger calls the cube, you can slip into one of the time paradoxes covering the city and become your Alter Ego, an idealized imagining of yourself. While useful for the special powers it grants you, it also serves to keep the real you from suffering the usual downsides to time travel as it's not really you who's altering the course of history. Of course, being a bunch of bored high school kids, the idea of becoming basically a real superhero is extremely appealing to you. You still have to do your usual duties around the pâtisserie, but once you've closed up for the night the Timepiece is all yours. Just don't let the secret slip! Most people would probably take the idea of real deal time travel pretty poorly.

So, can you survive high school, a part time job, and saving the world? All while not accidentally letting anyone know what you're really up to?

CHARACTER CREATION

If it wasn't obvious, this may as well be Persona. Instead of calling demons you get suited up in some kind of costume of your choice and get powers related to it, but otherwise you may as well be the P4 Investigation Team. That, plus this just being OVA, should give you a pretty good idea of the tone: goofy rear end nonsense.

I'm going with something slightly off the norm for character building in OVA. Everyone will have 7 points of abilities and 5 points of weaknesses. These can only apply to socially oriented abilities and weaknesses and can have absolutely no combat use. In addition, when you're in your altered state while time travelling, you'll have 5 points of abilities and 2 points of weaknesses on top of what you already have. These points, on the other hand, can only be combat oriented and cannot be used in social situations.

If something could apply to both social and combat situations, it's restricted by which pool of points you bought it in. The only exception to this is that all of your weaknesses are fair game for complications in any situation, otherwise you wouldn't have much I could pick on. In effect, you only have your combat pool when you're time travelling in your Alter Ego, but you always have your social pool.

The goal here is twofold: I feel like OVA would do better without the ridiculous overall numbers people generally gravitate towards (plus it makes sense for the setting anyways), and I'd rather people not ignore having interesting social abilities to have a big buff character, or vice versa for very social characters who don't have much to do in combat. Keeping points low also means there's actual room for growth, so I don't feel like I'm making things even messier by handing out experience points. Don't let the low number of points prevent you from specializing; it's there to keep the number of relevant abilities and weaknesses low enough that I can reasonably interact with all of them, not to encourage you to get 7 things at +1.

Also, make sure to split your Social and Combat pools up in your app, it'll make it easier for me to reference. To boil it down: +7/-5 Social, +5/-2 Combat. These are hard caps, literally the number of points you have to build your character with, not a range to build them within.

There's also a couple of Abilities I'm going to ban. Gear, Lucky, Transformation, Companion, and Arcane Magic are out, no exceptions. These are either or both problematic by themselves or work poorly with the Social/Combat split. While not banned, I'll just go ahead and say you should take Time Freeze at your own risk, and it cannot be used as a defense.

Outside of that, you're a high school kid working at a pâtisserie and you have a weird Alter Ego when you travel through time. Detail those, both through the usual backstory and by answering some questions:
  • What's your dumb high school kid problem at the moment? Is it distracting you outside of school?
  • Why do you think your Alter Ego is what it is? Is it based on your interests, family history, etc.?
  • What glitch in time have you noticed around town recently that you didn't think about before? Where and when do you suspect it leads? Do you even want to fix it?
  • This pâtisserie was already pretty weird before all this time travel stuff came to light. What odd collectible does Boulanger have around that you suspect might actually be an ancient relic from the past, or strange technology from the future?
  • You've been through the Timepiece a couple of times now. Things get pretty weird in there, and it seems like 'time paradox' is French for 'literally anything, usually weird'. Sometimes you've gone into totally different worlds, sometimes just into weird twists in recorded history. What's the paradox you remember most, and how'd you fix it?

I hang around #persona on synirc when I'm around my computer, so feel free to bug me there for questions, or post here. PMs are also fine.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Interesting, I'll read up on OVA and put something together.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
As a note before I forget, make sure you're reading the most current version of OVA. Ye olde version is different in a bunch of ways while still looking similar enough on a character sheet that I might think you're reading the new rules, and there was a small errata done to the new version that some people didn't download after grabbing it from the Kickstarter initially which impacts a few things in some important ways.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sounds interesting. I'll take a look in depth after work and see what I can come up with.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Sorry for asking a silly question, but will taking weaknesses still let me take more than 7 points of abilities? I wasn't very sure with the wording. :x

Also if Arcane Magic is banned, does that mean Witchcraft is allowed?

Mitama fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 18, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

TurninTrix posted:

Sorry for asking a silly question, but will taking weaknesses still let me take more than 7 points of abilities? I wasn't very sure with the wording. :x

Logically speaking, I think they're trying to avoid powers that give you other powers. I had wondered if the weaknesses gave us more points. It seems pretty dificult to build something combat effective with only 5 points for fighting powers. But ill be able to investigate that more when I get home in 5 joys or so.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Amelie "Ami" Kalbfleisch

A German halfsie, Ami is the ever-popular class idol and popular girl, though she's significantly more cheery than the usual distant stereotype. Rather overbearing parents with a penchant for multilingualism and academic excellence combined with some amount of wealth and a difficult childhood social life as a "foreigner" led Ami to internalize a sense of being separate from her peers. And, now that she's fairly attractive, popular, and still a very good student, this has led to her having an intense superiority complex and a general disgust with "the masses." Luckily for everyone she deals with, she chooses to put on a pristine mask in public.

Which is good, since...

...it turns out that an Ami without her usual inhibitions is disturbingly violent.

quote:

Social (+7/-5)
Charismatic +2
Beautiful +2
Perceptive +1
Smart +2
Code of Conduct (Nadeshiko) -1
Love Magnet -2
Overconfident -2

Combat (+5/-2)
Agile +1
Attack +2
-- RAUSRAUSRAUS - Accurate +10, Effective +10, Ranged +0; Feather Blow -5, Recoil -10, Weapon -5 (Roll 6, DX 5, END 0)
-- SCHMERZBAUER - Area Effect +10, Armor Piercing +5, Overwhelming +10, Ranged +0, Strike Through +5; Activation -10, Unwieldy -10, Weapon -5 (Roll 4, DX 3, END 0)
-- KOPFSCHUSS - Accurate +5, Armor Piercing +5, Barrier Buster +5, Effective +15, Ranged +0, Stunning +10; Activation -10, Cancel (Headless) -5, Weapon -5 (Roll 5, DX 6, END 20)
-- FEUERGARTEN - Area Effect +20, Blinding +20, Effective +20, Impairing +10, Ranged +0; Ammunition -15, Buildup -15, Low Penetration -5, Weapon -5 (Roll 4, DX 7, END 30)
Combat Expert +1
Evasive +1
Frail -2

Defense 6; Health 20; Endurance 40

What's your dumb high school kid problem at the moment? Is it distracting you outside of school?

So, I generally don't date. I've gotten confessions because, duh, but I've gotten pretty good at the gentle, smiley no-thanks, and the guys are fairly gracious about it.
That said, I do have a crush, Jun. He's... one of those kinda high-average guys that blend a little into the background, the good friend of the actual highly visible popular guy, good at basketball, good grades, etc etc. Problem is, Jun's gay. It's kind of an open secret, that blew up in middle school and died down and now everyone sort of accepts it and... yeah.
So an "us" isn't happening, and I'm not conceited and hosed up enough to think I can "fix" him, but it still sucks.

Why do you think your Alter Ego is what it is? Is it based on your interests, family history, etc.?

Family and personal history, obviously, and major repressed desires. I'd love to act this way normally, but doing so would be a failing, and I don't fail.
Plus, guns are neat.

What glitch in time have you noticed around town recently that you didn't think about before? Where and when do you suspect it leads? Do you even want to fix it?

It's pretty subtle, but there's this old submarine hatch looking thing stuck under one of the town's bridges that's an airlock to space. Future space, not near earth. You can look out the window in the airlock, without going through the second door, it's like a shipyard or station or something.
I'm not entirely sure how we're going to deal with that, it's loving space and I still need to breathe.

This pâtisserie was already pretty weird before all this time travel stuff came to light. What odd collectible does Boulanger have around that you suspect might actually be an ancient relic from the past, or strange technology from the future?

An old looking bronze spearhead, stained with dry blood.
Pretty loving metal.

zachol fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 19, 2015

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Would you be okay with an alter ego where the character turns into a large monster of some sort? Of does that not really fit the feel of the game?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Shu Yokaido - Aspiring Visual Kei Rocker

Shu started playing piano when he was 2. He played guitar from the age of 5. Its his life blood. Music is everything to him. Unfortunately, he has not gained the renown he just knew, JUST KNEW in his heart he would have by this time. Most idols are 16! Why not me? Despite going thousands of dollars into debt, and catering to some of the best musicians he knew, his band Sade Marquis failed to attract a label. Now saddled with the typical debt of someone who threw a corporation down the stairs would have, he is doing anything, and i mean ANYTHING to make ends meet and not drive his family down the financial drain. Its for this reason he started working at the patisserie.

He tries hard, and is pretty good at what he does at the bakery. I mean baking a cake is kinda like playing music right?

DIOS - Rock God

Of course when he got caught in the time conflux he wasnt exactly shocked to see what he turned into. The Rock God DIOS. Master of the arcane art of stage performance and music, DIOS has the ability to win the hearts and minds of anyone who listens to his masterful licks on Wunder, his eternity guitar. An untouchable performer ( he seems merely to be an illusion himself ) he transcends all time and space by playing the melodies of the universe.

quote:

Social
+
Cute! 2
Performer 2
Charismatic 1
Beautiful 2
-
Arrogant 1
Naive 1
Love Magnet 1
Dependency 2 ( My guitar )

Combat
+
Flight 1
Illusionist 2
Incorporeal Form 2
-
Focus 2 ( Powerless without your Guitar )

Attacks

Hendrixing - Playing guitar like a god, enough to entrance or dismay onlookers.
Net Cost = 0
+Ranged(0),Disarming(10),Continued Effect(10),Accurate(5)
-No Damage(20),Weapon(5)

Pyrotechnics - The world is a stage, and the stage (appears to be) on fire.
Net Cost = 0
+Area Effect(10),Overwhelming(15),Multiple Targets(10),Ranged(0),No Gesture(5)
-Buildup(2x5),Ammunition(3x5),Unwieldy(2x5),Feather Blow(5)
( The Idea behind this is a giant gently caress all one time use blast of stage pyrotechnics that devastate the area but are mostly superficial )

Guitar SMASH - I learned it from The Who
Net Cost = 10
+Armor Piercing(5),Barrier Buster(5),Effective(5)
-Weapon(5)

Health 40 Endurance 40

Dumb High-schooler problem? I ran up my dad’s credit card and even convinced my spacey mom to co-sign a loan to jump start my failed band. Now the band is split up and im stuck after school working at a bakery instead of practicing. Also i may have worked at a host club, and attracted a fairly large and overly persistent group of fans. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Why is my alter ego DIOS? Simple. Im that good at music. I have to be. Its not MY fault the band failed.

What glitches have i noticed? I could swear the host club down the street was an immense castle. For a moment anyways. Its probably from inhaling too much flour. Gluten poisoning. I swear. I mean why else would i notice a host club?

Boulanger forbid me from touching this weird device in the back of the bakery. Some warning that id be counting the minutes to midnight if i pressed the red button. Looks really high tech. I want to press that button.

We've been through the timepiece a couple of crazy times. The one i remember most was the one closest to home. You always see history stories like "what if THIS Happened", but we actually ended up in one. We found ourselves in some crazy version of Earth where the American inventor Thomas Edison had taken a patent from some other American inventor and made wireless transmission of electricity real ( or something like that. It was explained to me but i really didnt understand it ). Because of this, America had this amazing technology years ahead of anyone else. They used it in the World War to take over the world!

They then established a New World Order under American Rule. Most countries had given up, but Japan wasn't gonna cave to the American Menace. Well we found ourselves stuck in the middle of all this chaos as Americans were invading our country. We ended up fighting alongside the Japanese Rebellion, since the Emperor had surrendered in the face of certain doom.

The underground resistance was looking to steal blueprints from an American base for a super-weapon of their own: A Teleporter! We got the blueprints to the Japanese manufacturers, but we were intercepted by a platoon of american soldiers.

In the end we fought long enough for the scientists to activate the teleporter and we jumped through... only to land face first in the Patisserie in a dogpile.

We never found out what happened afterwards, but we all agreed, none of us likes getting shocked when we touch a door knob now. Stings.... -_-

Talkc fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 28, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ah, an interesting game that I have never even heard of the system for.

Run by Sentrygun, of all people.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Chloé Fleur Richelieu

"Mon dieu, does nobody in this bakery have any proper manners?! This is effroyable!"

Chloé is the daughter of a French businessman who transferred to Japan on assignment, taking his family with him. As someone raised in Paris, Chloé is a very classy young woman, insisting on proper etiquette in all situations. She's very serious and all business, and spends most of her time studying in the hopes of getting into a good college. This has put her at the top of her class, but with very little actual friends. Her foreign appearance, along with her cold nature, make her popular yet unapproachable by her peers and classmates, garnering her the nickname "The Ice Mademoiselle of Iwasaki High," a name which she dislikes, yet does not let bother her. At the suggestion of her mother, she got a job at a patisserie, feeling that working with pastries would give her a taste of home, pun not intended.

Magnifique Papillon

"Mesdames et Messieurs, thank you all for coming out tonight! I, La Magnifique Papillon, shall take you all on a trip to a fantastic world! The world...of magie~!"

When Chloé goes through time, however, she becomes the bombastic magician Magnifique Papillion, a peppy, fun-loving performer who uses her illusions to get out of any situation. She's almost the complete opposite of Chloé, and Chloé would never admit that she enjoys being Papillion, but she totally does!

Social

Beautiful +2
Charismatic +1
Performer +1
Smart +2
Wealthy +1
Code of Conduct (Etiquette) -2
Fussy -2
Quirk (Often uses French words) -1

Combat
Illusionist +2
Quick +1
Perceptive +2
Impulsive -1
Overconfident -1

Health: 40

Endurance: 40

Dumb High School Problem: I suppose if I had to say I had a problem, it would be....oui, my...lacking social life. My studies take up most of my time, as they should, and I do no really have much room in my schedule for social obligations. Sometimes, though, I wonder what it would be like to have more friends. Ma mčre suggested this job to me as a way to meet more people, and I found room in my schedule for an employment opportunity to put on my resume, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone, how they say.

My Alter Ego: .....Yes, Madame Papillion. I believe I can explain this. When I was just an enfant, I went to see a world-famous magician who was performing in Paris. I was amazed by the way he performed such feats onstage and racked my brain to try to figure out how it happened. I suppose Madame Papillion is an embodiment of the memories of the carefree days of my youth, though it is hardly becoming of a woman such as me.

A Glitch In Time?: One time, I saw a man in a suit of armor at the train station. I initially wrote it off as, how you say, cosplay, but recent events have me wondering about that...

What's That At The Bakery?: Hanging on the walls, Madame Boulanger has a poster for the old Paris cabaret Le Chat Noir. I know the design is popular, but this poster looks too good to be a reproduction. However, the last location of Le Chat Noir closed in the 1920s, and this poster doesn't look that old.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 19, 2015

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

TurninTrix posted:

They're caps. I'm aiming for limiting the number of crazy powers people can get right out of the gate, that way I don't have four people with a combined total of 45 weaknesses and 50 strengths, all of which I need to somehow make feel important. Basically, you have 7, 5, 5, and 2 points to allot within those specified values, no more, and I'd be surprised if anyone took less for their abilities. Added together this still hits the Base Zero rule of having no more than five points more in Abilities than Weaknesses, it's just a more specific way of going about it.

Also, you're a bunch of nerds in high school, you're still learning how to use your crazy super powers. Experience will let you get the stuff you can't get now, so don't feel like it's a complete lockout if you can't get stuff now. Just go for what's really important for your character.

Witchcraft is fine. It's purpose is a ton more focused than Arcane Magic, while Arcane Magic is a giant headache that lets you do literally anything out of nowhere and would pretty handily disrupt the small number of points I'm allowing people to use.

Mr Tastee posted:

Would you be okay with an alter ego where the character turns into a large monster of some sort? Of does that not really fit the feel of the game?

I would be okay with an Alter Ego where you wear a dinosaur costume while stomping around like an actual dinosaur. Bonus points if it's very clearly just you wearing T-Rex pajamas and not just a tiny dinosaur.

zachol posted:

Amelie "Ami" Kalbfleisch

Your points in every category are busting the caps. You've got those numbers in points to assign, period, which I guess I didn't explain as well as I could have (it was like 4am). Also, the Social/Combat split means your weaknesses in one category shouldn't be sitting in the other, purchased or otherwise. Your poor personality traits might be exaggerated while in your Alter Ego, but if Ami's rude then, it's because she has some rude in her normally. If Ami's dependent on her contacts, this only affects her in social situations and is bought with her -5 weakness points in her Social pool.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Posting interest. I'll post something sometime today.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Posting interest.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
This is also an interest post.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

(hi hello interest post)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, I just spent $15 I didn't have, for a system that I don't know, for a game I found out about an hour before I started working on this profile.

Nothing could possibly go wrong! :pseudo:

Hanaori Yui - Bookish tokusatsu nerd

(Source)

Hanaori Yui has always been a good student, a proper girl who does what she's told and minds her studies. The only child of a marketing executive and a professional stunt actor, Yui has spent her entire life burdened with the expectations of her mother, and the eccentricities of her father. There is little time for any of them to spend together, between their work, and Yui's school, but they always made a point of spending Christmas together. Yui's presents were lavish and expensive, in the typical parenting style of trying to make up for lost time with more money, but the ones that always caught her attention (and eventually made up the entirety of her gifts, once her parents caught on) were the tokusatsu toys. Belts with flashing lights, transforming animals that combined into a giant robot, swords that made sound effects when you swung them. Her father worked on the shows that sold these toys, and her mother advertised them. Was it any surprise, then, that Yui came to see them as a link between herself and her family?

This strange interest, a teenage girl with a passion for shows made for young boys, did nothing to increase Yui's popularity. And so, she withdrew even further into her studies, and her fantasies. Seeing which way the wind was blowing, Yui's parents, in one last desperate attempt to get the girl to start socializing, 'encouraged' her to get a part-time job at a local pâtisserie. it was nearby, they didn't mind Yui's lack of experience, and of course by sheer coincidence, several other kids her age would be working there. It was to get her used to relying on herself, they said, and maintained, even as months passed with no change. They were just about ready to give up, when she came home late one night, smiling just a little brighter. It was for no reason, she said, she was just feeling better and there was extra work to do at the pâtisserie. Yui was (as always) a terrible liar, but her parents just smiled and nodded. Maybe it'd worked after all.

Whatever this "extra work" was, Yui always had something else to say about her new friends.

Momohina - The Peach Blossom Superheroine

(Source)

For her own part, Yui took to the idea of time travel like a fish to water. She'd been waiting for years, just knowing that something like this would happen. It always did when you were in high school, right? The creation of her subconscious Alter Ego barely even took a day, as the ideas and daydreams that had filled her mind all bubbled to the surface.

And yes, of course it was necessary to pose and call out names before attacking! Didn't anyone watch TV any more?

pre:
Social (+7/-5)
Abilities
Knowledge (Mythology) +2*
Knowledge (Tokusatsu) +2*
Passion (Superheroics) +2
Smart +2
Wealthy +1
*Knowledge at half-cost.

Weaknesses
Absent-Minded -1
Dull -1
Kind-Hearted -1
Shy -2

Combat (+5/-2)
Abilities
Attack +2
- Wolf's Fang - Strike like the wild hound! (Net Cost: 5)
-- [+] Armor-Piercing (+5), Barrier Buster (+5)
-- [-] Elaborate Gestures (-5)
- Monkey Boxing - Get a little cheeky, and go a little ape. (Net Cost: 0)
-- [+] Defensive (+5)
-- [-] Inaccurate (-5)
- Pheasant of Heaven - Be blinded by Heaven's Glory! (Net Cost: 10)
-- [+] Accurate (+5), Area Effect (+10), Blinding (+20), Ranged (+0), Will Attack (+0)
-- [-] Buildup x2 (-10), Cancel (Blind or Colorblind) (-5), Elaborate Gestures (-5), Ineffective (-5)
- Peach Blossom Storm Kick - Hissatsu! (Net Cost: 15)
-- [+] Accurate x2 (+10), Area Effect (+10), Overwhelming (+15)
-- [-] Activation (-10), Elaborate Gestures (-5), Unwieldy (-5)
Evasive +2
Vigorous +1

Weaknesses
Frail -1
Trigger (Attack, requires confidence) -1

Defense 2(?)
Health 30
Endurance 50
What's your dumb high school kid problem at the moment? Is it distracting you outside of school?
I'm... actually a bit of a daydreamer. At least, that's what everyone tells me. They say I spend too much time getting lost in thought and that when I do talk to people, I ramble without really listening or paying attention. Nobody really likes me at school, either. I, um... I actually almost got kicked out of cram school a couple weeks ago. I guess I must have gotten too caught up in a daydream I was having, because I swung my arm without thinking, and hit Mr. Shiroshi in the face... A couple of the other kids laughed, though, so... that's not all bad, right?

Why do you think your Alter Ego is what it is? Is it based on your interests, family history, etc.?
Oh! Momohina is just the kind of character I always wanted to be, like she came right out of one of the shows I watch! I-I mean, um, used to watch. (Mom says it's weird for a girl my age to like superheroes.) She's strong, she's brave, and she's so much more confident than I am! It's like whenever I become Momohina, I'm not afraid of what people will think of me any more, and I can do anything I want to do! She isn't quite the original character I made up, though, I think the references to Momotaro are a little too blatant. I mean, not only with the peach, but also with the strength, and the dog, monkey and pheasant, and-

What glitch in time have you noticed around town recently that you didn't think about before? Where and when do you suspect it leads? Do you even want to fix it?
It isn't much, but there's this little manga shop a couple blocks down that's always like six months out of date, even though the guy there insists he always keeps up. He's kinda old, so I guess it wouldn't be much, except sometimes I find issues there for one series I've never even heard about before. It's called "Hope for Yesterday", and I can't find anything about it online. I've only read a couple chapters, but I think it's about this time-traveling witch who keeps trying to fix things that go wrong in the past and just keeps making it worse? It's kind of depressing, but the witch is really pretty, and I keep hoping that maybe if I keep reading, things will start turning around for her...

This pâtisserie was already pretty weird before all this time travel stuff came to light. What odd collectible does Boulanger have around that you suspect might actually be an ancient relic from the past, or strange technology from the future?
The oven! I know that sounds really mundane, but I don't think we've ever had to preheat it, or get it fixed or anything? The temperature is always just right for what you set it to, it warms up fast, and sometimes, I could have sworn I forgot to take something out, but the oven's already off and the stuff is out cooling? But it looks pretty beat up, so it can't be some state of the art thing. I thought about it, and I began to think that maybe it's not the oven that's special, it's that there's some kind of spirit in there, or a pâtisserie ghost who helps out. Miss Boulander always seems like such a glamorous lady, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if on one of her adventures, she rescued some great chef from the ancient past who promised to help her. Except then he died tragically, but his spirit stayed around because he was secretly in love with her but could never say it, and I actually wrote all about what I think might have happened in a notebook I have at home. Well, actually it's four notebooks now, I filled up the first three, but I've started getting to this really interesting arc about an original character I call the Dark Chef and wait, where are you going?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 23, 2015

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Very interdasted.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Anne-Marie ‘Robin’ Robinson – Lonely English transfer student

The class converses between itself loudly. The normal morning rituals of students everywhere. Catching up on the gossip from last night. Setting up the new gossip and rumours for the day. Friends and cliques intermingled selecting their desks and enjoying the last few minutes of freedom before the school day officially began.

A typical school room in a far from typical town. The Sensei entered the room, and the conversation quietened. Mostly because today the teacher was followed by someone else. A pale European redhead who stood nervously by the teacher, trying not to meet anyone's eye in a manner that was shy and yet adorable. The whispers quickly turned to the new girl. Rumours had abound of a transfer student. Was this her?

The redhead, at these whispers, blushed and eyed the classroom door. Clearly considering if it was worth bolting now. The Sensei cleared his throat, and the murmuring died down.

"Good morning class. As you may have noticed we have a new student. Would you care to introduce yourself?"

The girl coughed, hesitated, and then started speaking.

"Um, hi. My name is, my name is Anne-Marie Robinson. But my friends call me 'Robin'. I've recently moved here from England with my mother and father and have transferred to this school. I'm still trying to learn Japanese so I am very sorry if I struggle to understand everyone at times. But I will do my best to keep up with you all."

Robin bowed to the class. "I hope we get along really well."

The only child of two business people with little time for their daughter. The family recently moved out to Japan from England, dragging their daughter away for her friends and school and dumping her in what is effectively an empty house. Robin barely sees her parents, and when she does they’re often dragged away by work, leaving her lonely. She’s learned to look after herself, play guitar and sing to try and stave off the silence when she’s home. But she still longs to fit in and have friends. She reads a lot, and her nickname comes from an interest in Robin Hood when she was younger.

One of Robin’s biggest stumbling blocks is that she’s still learning Japanese, and while she’s picking it up quickly, she still struggles to not think and speak in English without thinking. She comes across as shy and a little lost when involved in group conversations as she’s trying to keep up with everyone else. It’s not helped that as the mysterious and exotic transfer student she’s gained herself a lot of attention from the boys that she is really not used too. She’s managed to think up all manner of excuses so far, but sooner or later she’ll have to take the plunge.

Robin finds herself especially jealous when the subject of parents come up, and can often find herself angry or depressed when people talk about their own. The worst is when someone badmouths or insults hers, leading her to fly into a rage. Often in English. Robin hopes that by getting a job at the bakery will help her meet and make some friends. Anything to stave off returning to the house.

She also has an interest with photography and takes photos on her camera-phone at any opportunity. She's not an especally good photographer. But she tries hard, and can occasionally get some pretty good shots.

StoryTime

When transformed Robin is capable of teleportation, jumping across the world to be with her friends whenever she wants. She also draws items and objects from a seemingly unlimited number of books pulled from thin air. She favours attacking with a bow and arrow much like her hero, but isn’t averse to getting up close and personal. She’d more impulsive but also more frail, a reflection of how she always was back in England.

Storytime fights for the happiness of all, bringing fun and joy to the sad and lonely.

quote:

Social - 7/7
-Cute 2
-Performer 1
-Smart 2
-Intuitive 1
-Wealthy 1

Social Weaknesses - 5/5
-Airhead 1
-Sensitive 1 (mother and father)
-Compulsion 1 (Speaking in English without thinking)
-Jittery 1
-Love magnate 1

Combat - 5/5
-Teleport 3
-Attack 1
-Dimensional Pocket 1

Combat Weaknesses - 2/2
-Frail 1
-Impulsive 1

Attacks

Exhausting arrows of purple prose:
Fatiguing (+0), Overwhelming (+15), Ranged (+0), Stunning (+10), Accurate x2 (+10), Low Penetration x2 (-10), Buildup (-5), Activation (-10)

Robin draws from a book of flowery language and unleashes a swarm of terrible writing and author ego. A difficult to avoid hail of purple word arrows that leave those struck dumbfounded and struggling to deal with what they just read.

Legendary shot of mythical accuracy (in the context of the story):
Accurate x4 (+20), Effective (+5), Armor Piercing (+5), Ranged (+0), Concentration (-20)

Taking time to line up a shot, Robin draws the skills of a legendary shooter and let it loose on a foe. Robin Hood splitting the arrow, or the deadly shooting of Simo Häyhä. Whatever it is, its an attack that rarely misses.

Narratively dramatic sword and shield attack:
Defensive x2 (+10), Strike through (+5), Vampire (+5), Activation (-10), Weapon (-5)

Pulling forth a sword and mighty shield, Robin takes a defensive stance. The sword has narrative contrivance on its side, and is capable of cutting through environmental obstacles and healing Robin. Suggesting the sword may be Excalibur, or some similar blade.

Ridiculously in-your-face completely unsubtle not really subtext attack:
Effective x4 (+20), Area Effect (+10), Reach (+5), Unwealdy x3 (-15), Activation (-10)

Though Robin prefers attacks at range, this is by far her most powerful attack. Summoning a weapon of ridiculous size and bringing it down as hard as she can. The only problem is that this doesn't work well with Robin's frail body, and often leave her panting and gasping for breath.

Shocking out-of-left-field plot reveal!:
Ranged (+0), Stunning (+10), Paralysing (+10), Trap (+5), Effective (+5), Ammunition x2 (-10), Buildup x2(-10)

Like any good plot, sudden twists are essential. Grabbing an especially juicy one, Robin unleashes it on a target. Leaving them reeling. Doesn't matter what the reveal is, or even if its something that actually matters to the target. However, too many plot twists spoil the broth, and Robin can only get away with three a day with them still having any real effect.

Words like arrows (because they are):
Accurate (+5), Ranged (+0), Low, penetration (-5)

Robin's basic attack. She fires arrows made of words at her enemy. Relying on range and accuracy to put the bad guys down.

Trying to make friends and fit in, new school, new people, new language. I just wish Mum or Dad were around to help me through it... but they're not. I've met loads of people, and it has been fun, but, its just. I had a bunch of boys get interested in me, I don't think that pleased some of the girls. One of them has taken a real dislike to me. Tomoe, she's... kinda focused on making my life hell.

Tomoe Shikumara

I don't want her to hate me, but I don't know what I've done to offend her. She's got all of her friends joining in as well. Makes trying to fit in difficult.

My interests and desires, it's got to be. I mean, the 'perfect me' would just be me with my friends and family around me... with the power to teleport thrown in for kicks. I mean, I'm pulling out books and bringing whatever I need to life from them. There's nothing stopping me crossing distances instantly. If I could jump back home, back to Manchester, I'd do it in an instant! Sadly its not really possible. But it does mean I can keep my friends safe and get out of the way of danger myself.

P...Part of the reason I don't like going home... my house is split between three times. Past, present, and future. Thank god my rooms in the present. I don't know what I'd do if... nevermind. I did try and take a picture of it. But I can never get it to come out right. Sometimes I see ghosts, impressions of people going about and doing their thing. I don't think they can see me. They've never responded when I call out to them. They just walk from one time to the next. Occasionally I see something not... human... sniffing about. I worry that someday something like that will come through from one of the rifts and get trapped where I am with no way back. I think that would be a little on the nose, for me.

They've got a bible, supposedly signed by "Jesus". Impossible, I know. But when I tried to point it out to Ms Boulanger. She winked and shushed me! Then patted my head and backed out of the room. The she mumbled something about me being "So gosh-darn cute." I hate it when people don't take me seriously. I swear I've seen the thing get up and dance. It grew little legs and started doing a jig like this. I think it might be possessed. I'm pretty sure its possessed. Yeah, no, its definitely possessed. Matter of a fact you can see it right now. Just sitting there. Tell me this thing isn't evil, that padlock is on there for a reason.

You've been through the Timepiece a couple of times now. Things get pretty weird in there, and it seems like 'time paradox' is French for 'literally anything, usually weird'. Sometimes you've gone into totally different worlds, sometimes just into weird twists in recorded history. What's the paradox you remember most, and how'd you fix it?

Hard to pick one which stands out the most, we've had so many incredible adventures! There was the time the School turned into a pre-historic jungle filled with robot dinosaurs involved in a civil war with laser guns. Have you ever tried to outrun a cyber enhanced laser guided T-Rex? Because that is a once in a lifetime experience.

Mainly because once you've done it once you never want to do it again.

I think I might have a picture on my phone of it... uh, ah! Here!

Oh, and here's one of a battle we happened across. Don't know what was up with the people. We never found out what they were doing there. Other time travellers perhaps?

Yeah, that was a lot of fun. We found the device that was generating the time rift, and shut it down... well... smashed it to pieces... But we had one last dash to get out! At the end of the day it all worked itself out. Really cool. Ooh, there was also the time we went to future Paris to find Ms Boulanger keys!

Seriously, trčs bon! And magnifique! And um, baguette? (okay I might be at the limits of my French, shut up.) The only other time I keep remembering was when we went to the funus world to find Mr Nakamura's cat, Mew-Mew. Uh, here it is.

I still can't look at mushrooms. Urg. I have never disliked an animal more. It just kept running and running. You think it would be easy to catch something if you can teileport. But noooo, not that cat. We caught it eventually. But that place stood out in my mind for just how creepy and dead everything was. There was no noise. Just fungus everywhere.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 22, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
*huff huff* I'm here! Did somebody mention anime?

♫ Theme of PATISSERIE ♫

Hajime Nanase

Sooo. This is awesome.

When Grandfather helped me get the job at the Patisserie, I was kind of surprised. I mean, I'm not the best cook... but... they hired me anyway. As far as the Timepiece goes, I swear, I didn't mean to push the button! I just slipped! But it's a happy accident, right? I mean, for years, I studied, but there's nothing to do with wushu in the modern world. I'm great at it, and my family's proud, but it's mostly a way to show off. But now, when I go through the Timepiece, it's like everything's been leading up to this. I can really make a difference. But when Grandfather said I had a dragon in me, I didn't think this is what he meant! I've been able to leave so much behind after we moved from Kyoto, I mean, now I can finally make so- many- friends! And date, and save the world? But holding it all together and making competition? Well, I can do it. I have to do it all.

Or maybe just go crazy I guess.

pre:
Hajime Nanase, The Polite Dojo Heir

Ability		Level	Notes

Beautiful	2	-
Cute!		1	-
Iron-Willed	1	-
Knowledge	2	Cooking
Passion		2	Wushu*

Weakness	Level	Notes

Fear		1	Ghosts
Ineptitude	2	Housework
Overconfident	1	-
Quirk		1	Mayfly Crushes
Sensitivity	1	Quirk

Health: 40	Energy: 40

* Applies to "peacetime" uses of martial arts,
like competitions, inflicting gag damage, or
using wushu to solve everyday tasks, but never
dramatic combat.
  • Knowledge: People say I'm a good cook, but I don't know about that. I just know a lot of recipes grandma brought over. I'm glad I can make people happy, but I'm sure others I can do a lot better!
  • Passion: Grandfather still runs the family dojo, and he probably expects me to take it over since dad didn't. I don't really mind, though, I'm better at wushu than with pottery... they still fight over it sometimes, but I wish they wouldn't. Maybe if I give my all and show I can take over, we can finally have peace in our family.
  • Fear: We have a lot of ghost stories in my family, my dad loves them. I don't really know I'm really the type to enjoy them, though... mom won't stop teasing me over it. She thinks they're silly, but what if a real ghost hears her say that?!
  • Ineptitude: Huh, I guess my family doesn't ask me to do housework since I broke a few things. That doesn't mean anything, though! I can clean that- *crash* - up? I guess that's why mom doesn't let me help out around the antique store, but this'll be our secret, okay? Shhhh!
  • Quirk: Who do I like? Um... that's a secret... but I haven't really made up my mind... I'm a little young to worry about worry about that kind of thing too much. It's not like that! I'm just trying to make friends!
  • Sensitivity: I am not blushing.
pre:
Seiryū, the Azure Dragon

Ability		Level	Notes

Agile		1	-
Armored		1	-
Quick		1	-
Strong		1	-
Time Freeze	1	-

Weakness	Level	Notes

Code of Conduct	1	Four Rules of the Southern Dragons
Endurance Use	1	Time Freeze

Strike Skills	DX	Cost	Perks			Flaws

Hua King's Fist	2	5	Reach 2			Unwieldy
Eagle Claw	3	5	Accurate, Effective	Feather Blow	
Touch Bridge	3	10	Effective, Paralysis	Low Penetration
Five Horses	3	10	Area Attack, Effective	Inaccurate
Azure Storm	4	10	Accurate 2, Effective 2	Finisher
Dragon's Star	6	-	Effective 4, Overwhelm	Break, Open To Attack
  • Time Freeze: It takes a lot out of me, but it leaves frost around whenever I use it. I wonder if it has something to do with water? Hmmmm.

Well, I mean, my family expects me to have a job experience and get good grades and qualify for the championships and sometimes it feels like I'm drowning. I can do it... I can do it... I can do it... sometimes I'm just tired and want more time with friends. But I can't let my family down, either. I'm an only child and they really look to me. I can't fail... but can I really succeed? I feel like I'm trying to prove who I am before I've even figured it out yet. And I keep getting distracted, my friend thinks I have crushes, but I'm just a little worn out! I don't blush!

Grandfather was a child left behind overseas during the last war, and he came back with Grandma, and though dad tells me that doesn't matter, things were a little tough when I was young. My dad and grandfather grew up in China, and though only Grandma comes from there, they still have the accent and still got treated like foreigners. When I was young I was bullied me over it, but Grandfather just said they were jealous of the dragon in me. It's silly, huh? But... you know. It really did help, and got me to do well at competition, and prove myself. I haven't gotten teased for it much since we moved, which has been a huge relief.

I'm not saying it means anything, but Mr. Karasuma seems really out of touch. I mean, he speaks like a period drama, doesn't seem to understand phones, much less computers, and says stuff to students like "In another era they would have cut off thine head for that insolence!" I mean. He really seems to know his history. Almost like he was there? Also I think he has a strong presence, you know, like a warrior or magistrate. What? You learn that kind of thing from going to competition!

There's this black and white picture I saw on her desk of her and a kid, she's dressed normally, but the kid is in traditional Chinese clothes. Which is a little weird but black and white photography and those clothes is just a thing. But like, the kid looks familiar, like he's family or something. He's Japanese, like Grandfather was.

I'm silly for thinking that's Granddad, aren't I?

You've been through the Timepiece a couple of times now. Things get pretty weird in there, and it seems like 'time paradox' is French for 'literally anything, usually weird'. Sometimes you've gone into totally different worlds, sometimes just into weird twists in recorded history. What's the paradox you remember most, and how'd you fix it?

There was the giant robot fight, which... it was weird, everybody dressed and talked like it was the seventies, but I'm pretty sure there weren't giant robots or monsters back then. Everybody in the paradox was scared for their lives, but it didn't seem unexpected to them. And the robots were totally retro, with shooting fists and all that, but when one of them went down, I ended up taking the controls, which was amazing, and took down the monster with some kinda chest beam. I just wish I hadn't been so selfish, it would have been nice to get robots for everybody, but there just wasn't time. Sorry, everybody, next time we'll all fight together!

♫ HERE WE GO! ♫

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 26, 2015

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Interested. Character coming... today? Tomorrow? One of those.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Midori Matsuhina, "The Bird Girl"

Midori is known among her classmates for her odd connection and fascination with birds. She has been trying since she got enrolled to allow the faculty to let her bring one of her many pets with her. She knows almost everything in the field, from the most obscure species to the most trivial of trivia. She dreams of becoming a world-famous ornithologist. She tries to be chipper and take things in stride. Many rumors spread about her, but few know anything personal about her. In reality, she lives a middle class life that is pretty ordinary outside of the extensive collection of birds. She took up the job at the bakery because she needed some extra money to help take care of her pets, and also because she likes baking but doesn't often get the chance to do baking at home. The one pet that can almost always be seen with her is her dove named Daisuke.

Hato, the bird whisperer.

When it's time to save the world, Midori dons a bird helmet and becomes Hato, the Bird Whisperer. As Hato, she has the ability to control birds with her mind. She generally uses these birds as a form of attack or scouts. Additionally, Daisuke becomes enormous, powerful, and capable of carrying her.

"A lot of rumors get spread about me because of my interests. Some are...nastier than others. Like the one about me being a serial killer. But I can scare away people who bother me about them."

"I love birds, duh!"

"I think I saw a gang of delinquents recently, but for some reason they were American and only spoke English. I think they were arguing about toughness and Elvis? I think it's kind of neat, but I'm not sure if they want to stay here."

"While I was getting something out of the back one time I found this weird thing that looked like a tablet, and when I tried it out a hologram showed up. It looked sort of like a city from an anime, and there was this logo for a corporation I had never heard of. I didn't quite get it, so I turned it off."

quote:

Social Abilities:
Hobby (baking)
Intimidation
Passion (Ornithology)
Perceptive
Smart
Willpower

Social Weaknesses
Bad Reputation (1)
Impulsive (2)
Obsession (2) (Birds)

Combat Abilities
Animal Companion (2)
Flunkies (3)

Combat Weaknesses
Focus (2) (Helmet)

E: Whoops, forgot the questions!

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 19, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Quote is not edit

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

sentrygun posted:

Your points in every category are busting the caps. You've got those numbers in points to assign, period, which I guess I didn't explain as well as I could have (it was like 4am). Also, the Social/Combat split means your weaknesses in one category shouldn't be sitting in the other, purchased or otherwise. Your poor personality traits might be exaggerated while in your Alter Ego, but if Ami's rude then, it's because she has some rude in her normally. If Ami's dependent on her contacts, this only affects her in social situations and is bought with her -5 weakness points in her Social pool.

Whoops, caps. I thought they were starting points or something. I'll trim it out a little then.
The split is more because I wanted a dramatic personality switch. The -2 for code of conduct and fussy only applies in the real world, getting completely dropped in the mode switch in favor of rude. Similarly, the contacts (contact lenses) are only needed in the real world, but for the mode switch get replaced by the headset, which is a similar physical object dependency for the same point value. I've only applied the -2 for conduct/fussy (-1/-1) and for rude (-2) once, and they're all meant to be similarly behavioral flaws.
The idea is that internally Ami is staggeringly rude, but keeps an iron grip on it in polite society (the code and fussy). While time traveling in the mode switch, that gets stripped away in favor of the natural rudeness. I'm not sure how else to represent this, except by not taking the flaws at all, since you said that the flaws apply constantly in both forms. Unless they don't, in which case I could list the code and fussy under the social line and rude under the combat line, get rid of the dependencies altogether?

edit: I edited it along those lines, with rude as the sole weakness under combat, and code of conduct in social, with the idea that they don't both apply at the same time. If that's no good, I'll snip the rude out and just have it as flavor or whatever.

zachol fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 19, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I really need to learn this system. I have an idea in hand, so let's see how this goes.

...eh, come to think of it, the only idea that comes to mind probably doesn't fit the mood of the game. (Chronically ill student who moved to Japan for climate/health reasons, has been told he probably won't live to see the other side of twenty, escapes into schlocky science fantasy stuff like Deathstalker, becomes one of those as a combat form--think Yuu Narukami meets Akinari Kamiki.) So I'm going to bow out. Good luck to the rest of you!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 22, 2015

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Emi Maruyama

by alexisneo

"I've been feeling kinda depressed lately. All my old friends are getting phones and talking to American girls and being happy while I'm stuck in a dead-end donut shop. Don't even get to dress like a French maid like in Akiba. Life's a total drag-- Hey, leggo the notebook! It's my deepest darkest secrets; I can't let them get out for fear of the darkness consuming your feeble mind. I'm serious! It happened to this one guy, Kamu, and when he closed the book and looked at me there were bite marks on his face... No, they weren't mine! Dumbass, always jumping to conclusions..."

The offspring of a salaryman and a professional homemaker, Emi spent most of her high school career in the Chiyoda ward of Tokyo, singing in the girls choir and fundraising for book club. Back before her move, she tried to be the popular girl, the lead idol, the star in every girl's eye.

Then she moved to her aunt's place [here], dyed her hair pink and threw out all her old outfits to make room for the goth stuff. Though she laments leaving the city life, she swears this is the person she's always been inside. The new Emi received mixed reviews, but almost everyone can agree her spontaneous outbursts of mopey poetry in homeroom really need to stop. She writes most of the lyrics for the light music club band, along with singing back-up vocals and playing keyboard.

Her comp book, usually tucked under her arm or hidden in her bag, is covered in black duct tape with one word written in pink marker:

Melancholia

by Suika-X (the dog too)

"Make way for the new queen of mean!"

The idealized manifestation of her grief and sorrow, Melancholia is the main character of the fictional journal Emi doesn't want anyone to see. Along with her two inky hellhounds, Misery and Malcontent, this mistress of goth-punk always has a witty quip and never lets anyone get her down. To Melancholia, happiness is a cold glance at a fallen foe. She just doesn't like to do the felling herself.

quote:

Social Abilities/Weaknesses
Connected +1 (Light Music Club)
Knowledge +2 (Otaku Culture)
Passion +3 (Sadness)
Performer +2
Outcast -2
Secret -1 (Melancholia, the Book)
Rude -2

Combat Abilities/Weaknesses
Intimidating +2
Iron-Willed +1
Minions +2 (Twin Hellhounds)
* Attack +1
* Combat Expert +1
* Perceptive +2
* Short-Tempered -2
Languid -1
Weak -1

"I think everyone's out to get me. The students mostly, but the teachers too, kinda. They all have little circles I can't be a part of no matter how cool I look and act and am, which is totally cool. Most of the clubs didn't even want me, except for the light music club. Must be because they think I'm a pro castanet player or whatever it is light music clubs believe. Other than that, it's like I don't exist, and not in a good way."

"Melancholia is a character from m-- I mean, a demon trapped inside its pages possessing my body and corrupting my soul. I'm the only one who can control her, even if it means I'm dying inside, and nobody even cares! My hair is PINK. If that isn't the work of a demon I don't know what is! Black's the only color for my soul anyway. So... broad."

"The salon on the north side of town sounds like it has a bunch of monkeys in it, and the windows are always steamed over. Is there such thing as black market monkeys? And if there is, can I get one? Just, y'know, to have. Maybe I can transfer my evil spirits onto it... only then I'd have an evil monkey. I hate evil monkeys more than I hate evil people."

"Boulanger's office has a little figure in the window. It looks like one of those little "grey men" alien type things, only it's blue. She says it's a souvenir, but I know all the latest figures from my time in Akihabara, and that is definitely out of this world. It stares at me, calls out to me when I'm cleaning up at night... It can't read minds, can it? Or books?"

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 21, 2015

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I'm interested, if you're okay with someone new to OVA (I've read the book, but never played in a game).

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Crunch to come, consider this a WIP

Shinobu Nakamura

"Hello, Ms. Boulanger. I'm really glad that you were able to give me an interview. I've been looking for a job-I mean, I've always wanted to work in a place like this for a while. It's very, uh, pretty."

"My hobbies...well, I really like sports. Mostly baseball. I've got a dam-darn good pitching arm, and I'm really good with a bat. Uh, I also like reading, uh, books. And listening to music. I like, uh, have you ever heard of this genre called 'punk'? Or 'indie'? They're really big in the west, y'know."

"Favorite...everything? Favorite sport's baseball. Cricket's cool too. Favorite color's purple. Uh, I can't choose my favorite movie. Favorite book is some action manga called Soul Check. Can't pick my favorite album...favorite food's fried things. Y'know, if it's fried, I'll probably eat it. Heh..."

"Uh, really don't have any prior work experience...actually, I do help some middle school teams with coaching and stuff. They like me. I'm kinda good with kids."

"Hm. Well, my dreams...I really, really want to see the United States. My father was from there, before he lef-uh, sorry. Forget what I said. Really do want to go there, though. You ever been? I talk to some people about it, they've only been to Hawaii. I want to go all over. I'm thinkin' about taking a road trip after I graduate and scrape together some money."

"Well, I'm happy that you think this interview went well. Lookin' forward to being behind the counter with you!"

quote:

+7/-5 Social
Charisma (2) +2
Perceptive (2) +2
Passion (Sports) (2) +2
Knowledge (Shonen books) (2) +1

Jittery -2
Sensitivity (Parents) -2
Obsession (The West) -1

Bludgeon Hero K

As Bludgeon Hero K, Shinobu wields the mighty MuraSlama, a deceptively powerful baseball bat with the power of a thousand home runs! However, K has to charge up strikes for a while before unleashing the bat's full power. She can also throw the bat at an enemy for massive damage (if she can hit the target), attack the ground to cause a giant area affecting shockwave, and can defend herself without MuraSlama by using different kicks and slides. In addition, the bat is made out of an advanced, probably magical metal, and all but the most powerful attacks glance off of it.

quote:

+5/-2 Combat
Attack +2
pre:
-Mighty Bash - Powerful Attack With The MuraSlama!
Endurance: 5, Roll: 2, DX: 3
--Strike Through +5
--Impairing +10
--Effective +5
--Weapon -5
--Concentration -20

-Grand Slam - Strike The Earth!
Endurance: 10, Roll: 2, DX: 3
--Area Affect (x2) +20
--Defensive +5
--Strike Through +5
--Effective +5
--Buildup (x2) -10
--Weapon -5

Wild Pitch - Throw The Bat! It's A Great Idea!
Endurance: 10, Roll: 2, DX: 2
--Impairing +10
--Ranged +0
--Stunning +10
--Strike Through +5
--Weapon -5
--Inaccurate -5
--Unwieldy -5

Cobb Kick - No MuraSlama Needed! Kick Away, K!
Endurance: 0, Roll: 2, DX: 2
--No Gesture +5
--Reach +5
--Low Penetration -5
--Feather Blow -5

Defense +2
Agile +1

Focus (MuraSlama) -2

Health: 40
Endurance: 40

"Well, lemme just say it: my dad ain't around. He was from the U.S. and he left for who-the-gently caress-knows when I was five. Kinda did a number on my mom, but she's fine now. I think. And I'm really glad that most kids ignore this awkward circumstance. Usually. They know what happens if they don't."

"Well, I was thinkin' about it-the most obvious part is that since I like baseball, it's only logical that I got a magical baseball bat to beat poo poo with. Also, I kinda have a weakness for shonen manga. Human Prey, Rules of Nature, Scorpio Rising, ones with blood and the hero beatin' the hell out of bad guys. So I guess my outfit was designed to look like one of them. And, lemme tell ya, it sure is fun being a shonen protag."

"So a while back, after practice, I was walkin' home when I heard this weird engine noise. Well, y'see, the road was empty, so I looked up, and saw two biplanes flyin' up there. At first, I thought it was our neighbor-he's really into that RC model stuff. Then, I thought, 'well, they don't have model biplanes, do they?' Just as I was thinkin' bout how a model biplane would work, they started firing at eachother...I hauled rear end away from that street, adjusted my route so I don't have to go down it again...fun stuff."

"So, in the shop, there's a corner filled with 'boy' stuff, like some cool action figures, tin robots, that kinda stuff. Anyway, in that corner, there's a big rubber ball hangin' from the ceiling, made out of a brown rubber. I asked Boulanger what it was, she said it was a ball used in sports. Doesn't look like any ball I know! So I looked it up, apparently the Mayans used that kind of ball for there 'play and then get sacrificed' ball game. Gruesome, ain't it?"

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 27, 2015

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Something I totally should have remembered last night: Companion is also banned. If your thing involves having a buddy and you still want it to have its own skill, use Minions (this looks like what RWT was planning to do anyways). If your buddy's more important than you are, ala some kind of Pokemon Trainer, make your Combat pool apply partially or entirely to your buddy and just flavor your own actions as also involving your buddy (this is probably a cleaner way to do it anyways). If you've got some other idea of how to emulate Companion, it's probably fine. Companion itself is a mess as an ability but you're still okay to do the things it would allow, just find another way to do it.

Mr Tastee posted:

Midori Matsuhina, "The Bird Girl"

Judging by the names of your abilities, it looks like you're using an old version of OVA from before Clay redid it for the Kickstarter. I have no idea what the exact differences are between the versions, so make sure you're looking at the new version of the game.

zachol posted:

edit: I edited it along those lines, with rude as the sole weakness under combat, and code of conduct in social, with the idea that they don't both apply at the same time. If that's no good, I'll snip the rude out and just have it as flavor or whatever.

The big thing is that Rude applies to Social scenarios by its nature; it has no effect in combat. If Ami's never going to be rude in the real world, I'd say just keep it as flavor for your Alter Ego, that works fine. The Combat weaknesses are supposed to be something I can actually punch you with in the middle of a fight, and the most I could do with Rude is trigger a Weakness Complication to make you punch your friend in the face or something.

Something that would force you to make poor decisions in a fight, like Impulsive, would work as something that could tip towards either Social or Combat depending on where you buy it. If something like that still doesn't get what you want, it's totally fine if you have a personality in your Alter Ego that doesn't have negatives associated with it. I imagine Ami being a rude jerk in her Alter Ego won't penalize her much as she shoots down George Washington's crocodile army anyways.

DeTosh posted:

I'm interested, if you're okay with someone new to OVA (I've read the book, but never played in a game).

This is like the third OVA recruit here and two of them have been mine, I imagine a lot of people haven't gotten a chance to even try the system. My own experience is kind of just watching in horror as I ran my first combat in Ivalice's Knights Zodiac, so it's not like I'm terribly experienced with it either. Don't worry at all, the only thing I'd really say is to not worry too much about pumping up Attack or Combat Expert unless that's really your Alter Ego's thing. You normally get a couple dice anyways and everyone being pretty bad at combat gives me some freedom to make enemies without having the dice just go out of control and end up exploding someone in one hit.

Also if people want to bug me when I'm around, I usually hang out in #persona on synirc.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Shigeko "SG" Nakamura

My parents wanted me to go to school, find a nice boy, and to never have to work in my life. They only relented when I pointed out that baking is a wonderful, wifely skill.

My name is Shigeko Nakamura, and my life sucks.

My dad hit it big with some company he invested in when it was in a slump. I think he said it involved fruit? Anyway, it paid off, we're rich, and my dad now spends all his nervous work energy riding my rear end like I'm a pony. Phrasing.

Apparently now that I'm the only heir to their "magnificent wealth" I'm supposed to be all passive. Let them choose me a husband from the boys I bring home. Be the receiver of their money, and presumably do nothing my whole life.

They're very insistent about that bit.

Well, gently caress that.

I'm gonna use it to make people happy.

Social

Wealthy 2
Smart 2
Willpower 2
Connected 1

Stubborn -1
Overconfident -1
Restricted Freedom -1 (Controlling Parents)
Pacifist -2

Combat
The Amazing Essgee!

O-HAI-YOU! IT'S ME, THE AMAZING ESSGEE! I'm here to make your day a HAPPIER PLACE with my MAGIC HAT! Do you need a hand? Bandages? Just a warm smile and a hug? The Amazing ESSGEE is here to help! Anywhere someone's heart cries out for cheer, ESSGEE IS HERE!

Dimensional Pocket 2
Heal 1
Incorporeal Form 1
Teleport 1

Easily Distracted -1
Air-headed -1

See comments above about my parents. The worst part is that nobody believes me how much it sucks, because I get all the stuff I want. I don't want stuff though! I want a life.

Gee, a version of me that doesn't have anybody tying her down? I'm shocked.

The other bit.. When I was 6, I was at a friend's birthday party, and there was a magician there. He was so cool, to 6 year old me. He gave me 100 yen he pulled out of my nose and told me I could do anything if I believed.

I still believe that.

There's a brook in the park that if you look at it funny, you can hear singing and see lights around the bend. I'm not good with languages but it sounds... well, it's not English. Maybe Spanish? Could be modern Spanish, could be 400 years ago. I have no idea. Sometimes, when I sneak away from home, I sit there and just listen to it. It's nice. Sometimes, I think about fixing it. Then I listen to the songs, and I don't.

That freaking windchime... or should I say, wind-lime? Because every time I'm standing near it and it calls out I taste this, lime taste on my tongue, like you get sometimes near really strong electricity? Last time I tasted it, I was 12, and I nearly got struck by lightning. I think it might be powering the place somehow...

K Prime fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 22, 2015

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

sentrygun posted:

The big thing is that Rude applies to Social scenarios by its nature; it has no effect in combat.

Ahhh okay, gotcha. I'll edit the sheet later tonight with this in mind (probably go back to frail -2).

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Think I've got a vague idea about how this PC's going to work. I'll be putting this app together bit by bit over the next few days.

"No. Not just no. Hell no. I am not so drat irresponsible that I won't accept my share of the blame, but...No. You've got a device that can do all of this and you just leave it lying around, unguarded, for anyone just to pick up and mess with? Without even something close to an explanation as to why we shouldn't touch it? A freak accident could have set the drat thing off, let alone a bunch of nosy kids! Fact is, I'm not entirely convinced you're really angry. If I didn't know better, I'd say you wanted us to get our hands on the drat thing. I mean, what, are you not making enough to afford a safe? A desk with locked drawers? A purse? Don't you give me that "you had one job" crap. You're as much to blame for this as I am!

By the way...where are we?"

Because Camlann is, well, me. Another me. He's also a Level 45 Knight (of Thorns) in Fallen Realms Online. The kind of guy who could handle the craziness that's right around the corner. Someone you'd want looking out for you. Yeah, I'm not afraid to admit it. On bad days, I wished I was him. Wished I could take my fears and weaknesses and hide them away beneath a Knight's mask. And now I can. I hope it's enough to deal with...whatever the boss lady says we're facing.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 19, 2015

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

sentrygun posted:

Judging by the names of your abilities, it looks like you're using an old version of OVA from before Clay redid it for the Kickstarter. I have no idea what the exact differences are between the versions, so make sure you're looking at the new version of the game.

That might be the case. Where can I get the new version, just so I don't make the same mistake twice?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mr Tastee posted:

That might be the case. Where can I get the new version, just so I don't make the same mistake twice?
I got it from Drive Thru RPG for $15.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Oh gosh oh golly oh gee :allears:

Will be posting something in the next ~24 hours for sure.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Do we have a due date yet?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
So many awesome characters, now I need to work out how to make my app better. Really want to get in on this one.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Do we have a due date yet?

I'll let it go for a week at least, especially since I have a busy work week coming up.

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Kohei Kobayashi

A reminder to all club presidents: send your budget requests to the student council by the end of the week, or you won't get squat. Thank you.

Kohei is that guy everyone knows of but few people really know. He's just sort of there, giving announcements from the student council and reminding people to stay out of trouble. Liked, but not loved. Utterly taken for granted.

And that's just the way he likes it. Too much attention makes you a target; too little and you're a nobody. Kohei thinks he's found the perfect balance, and intends to stay in his niche as long as he can. Sure, there's been a few snags: a nomination for student council president, which is just too high profile; and that unfortunate, unrequited and unresolved girl situation. Luckily, Kohei has a solution for both: get a part-time job. It gives him an excuse to turn down invitations ("Sorry, I've got to work today"), and it's incompatible with the extra workload the presidency would bring! Win-win!

CyberNinja Mk. IV

Oh my god I'm a ninja. I can do backflips! And look at all these gadgets! Holy poo poo, does that say teleport? It does!

The CyberNinja Mk. IV outfit is a marvel of future espionage technology. It's got a personal cloaking field, a short-range teleporter, and about a million potentially debilitating gadgets built in. You might think that lends it a certain gravitas, but it's just so cool. Even a professional assassin would be giddy with excitement if they got to wear this thing. Case in point, Kohei's Alter Ego.

pre:
Health: 	40
Endurance:	40
Defense:	3
Attack:		Roll 3, DX 1

Abilities:					+12
Social						+7		
Perceptive					+2
Intuitive					+2
Smart						+2
Position of Power (student council)		+1

Combat						+5
Agile						+1
Invisibility					+1
Teleport					+1
Witchcraft Ninja Gadgets			+2

Weaknessess					-7
Social						-5
Hatred (delinquents)				-1
Love Interest 					-2
Naive						-2

Combat						-2
Coward						-1
Vulnerability (electricity)			-1

Attacks
Sneak Attack!
Roll 4; DX 4; 10 E
Effective x3 [+15]; Accurate [+5];
Requirement (enemy unaware) [-10]

Poisoned Needle Toss
Roll 3; DX 1; 0 E
Continued Effect [+10]; Ranged [+0];
Low Penetration x2 [-10]

Ninja Gadgets			Effect 				Cost/Difficulty
Soundproof Nanites		Mute 			-2	20/-
They stop speech, but not breathing. Ethical!

Retinal Scrambler		Impaired Sense (sight)	-3	30/8
Basically just a laser pointer. With auto-targeting.

Muscle Stiffener		Slow			-1	10/-
Simulates the day after a good workout. Using tasers.

Oh boy. Here, let me make you a chart.

That about sums it up. Kimiko and I have been friends since we were five. I love her to bits, but now she likes me, and she's not exactly subtle about it. I know Karen from the student council; I'd ask her out, but given how she acts when Kimiko's around, I doubt that'd end well. Honestly, I just try not to think about the whole mess. 'Try' being the operative word, here.

I always did like sci-fi stuff. And the whole concept of 'fighting fair' never made much sense to me. Ninjas are cool, that goes without saying. I'm pretty sure this is who I'd be if I were from the future and also a super-spy.

I was at the museum a couple of weeks ago, and one of the rooms had these really cool, super-realistic animatronic velociraptors. Except there's no dinosaur exhibit. And that room doesn't actually exist. I'm pretty sure we need to fix this one before something finds its way out.

I'm pretty sure most modern lamps need electricity to work. So why isn't Boulanger's desk light plugged into the outlet? There's no battery compartment or anything, either. And I've never seen that brand of bulb before. Yeah, this thing is definitely from the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Hayashi Ayano

Haruna said I look better without my glasses. I don't really agree, but this picture turned out alright.

He-Hello there. You have reached Hayashi Ayano, head photographer of the student paper. If you’re calling over something we printed, please direct your complaints to the head editor. You can find him at-oh, you aren’t calling about the paper? O-Okay. Just Ayano’s fine, by the way. This isn’t about the paper, so you don’t need to be formal.

The bakery? Well, I’m not that into baking but I guess it’s not a bad job… Oh, you meant the time stuff. It’s all just a bit much, you know? I just got this job because I wanted a new camera. I didn’t want to dive into time vortexes or anything.

Wolf-Eyed Ayano, Scourge of the North

I'm not sure why my eyes look weird under the mask, but I'm not going to question it.

Then again, it’s not like I’m the one going into those time things, y’know? A mysterious masked ninja is going into them, and I’m clearly not her. I mean, I wouldn’t sneak around like that, or punch people like that, or wear something like that, or…

“Hey Ayame! The track meet starts in ten minutes! Get your camera and let’s go!”

IjustrealizedIshouldn’ttalkaboutthisonthephonebye

quote:

Social Abilities/Weaknesses
-Perceptive +3
-Knowledge: Local Happenings +2
-Position of Power (Head Photographer, School Newspaper) +1
-Intuitive +2
-Love Interest -2
-Shy -2
-Servitude (School Newspaper) -1

Combat Abilities/Weaknesses
-Agile +1
-Evasive +2
-Art of Invisibility +2
-Frail -1
-Overconfident -1

Health: 30/30
Stamina: 40/40

We were this close to holding hands when this picture was taken. []///[]

So I have this friend. Tsukuda Haruna. She was the first friend I made when my family moved here and she sits behind me in class and we walk to school together and… and… And I have a crush on her, alright? She doesn’t know and I haven’t told anyone anyway, but I do. I know I should tell her, but people are already wondering why I’d bother associating with someone like her and what if she doesn’t like me back and… Can we just go to the next question now?

I guess I like having a mask. I mean, I get really nervous when people are looking at me so I get stuttery and shaky and… uh… Well, when I put the mask on it feels like they’re looking at the mask and not at me. I know that doesn’t sound like much, but it really helps.

(Also, Ayano will neither confirm or deny the existence of a notebook that she doodled a bunch of ninjas in when she was a lonely fourteen-year-old that she doesn’t have the heart to throw away. She would probably die of embarrassment if someone found it, which is not say that there is anything to find or that someone should try to find it. No, please, don’t.)

There’s this garage across the street from my apartment building. Street racers have been tuning up their cars in there for years, but lately they’ve been coming out… different. The engines sound wrong, they turn too sharply, the paint doesn’t reflect light right, sometimes the body’s not even the same as when it went in. I’m not saying it’s definitely a time anomaly turning them into future cars, but I don’t think they’ve learnt how to completely overhaul a car in half an hour.

There’s not really that much hanging on the wall behind the counter. Just some pictures of cake and… a mace. It’s not even a pretty one, it’s too bent out of shape for that. I always assumed that Ms Boulanger had it as a conversation piece, but maybe there’s a sentimental reason for her to keep it around?

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 23, 2015

• Locked thread