Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I've always like this tradition. The challenge of it is fun, seeing how much will power I really have. Also seeing the stupid poo poo people think is important enough to note giving up is really fun. This year I'm giving up meat. I figure it will be medium hard.

One year I tried to give up speeding. I lasted less than a day. Driving down the interstate at the speed limit had to be the scariest experience of my life. People were zooming by inches from me in every direction and I thought for sure that I was going to die when I made a left exit. It was like standing still in a mosh pit full of sweaty 300 pound dudes.

Giving up chocolate just felt lazy but at least I succeeded. Giving up video was actually kind of fun. It's unbelievable how much time we waste on that poo poo.

What are you all giving up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i'm giving up giving thigns up for lent! HEYO :)

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Giving up your poo poo threads

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
As an alcoholic, I don't understand this practice of giving up a self-determined vice in order to reach a place of spiritual purity, but I can respect it.

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001
I thought about giving up plowing your mom but came to my senses (and all over you mom's face).

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Dryer sheets

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
showering

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot

dstyle posted:

showering

you loving piece of poo poo

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
was thinking of going sober, but then I remembered that jesus died so people could have the right to get hosed up w/o feeling guilty

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

solaranus posted:

was thinking of going sober, but then I remembered that jesus died so people could have the right to get hosed up w/o feeling guilty

I concur. Jesus told us to drink wine and that's order I plan to obey frequently.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
i wont be posting with as much effort for lent

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
cum

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Leviathan Song posted:

I've always like this tradition. The challenge of it is fun, seeing how much will power I really have. Also seeing the stupid poo poo people think is important enough to note giving up is really fun. This year I'm giving up meat. I figure it will be medium hard.

One year I tried to give up speeding. I lasted less than a day. Driving down the interstate at the speed limit had to be the scariest experience of my life. People were zooming by inches from me in every direction and I thought for sure that I was going to die when I made a left exit. It was like standing still in a mosh pit full of sweaty 300 pound dudes.

Giving up chocolate just felt lazy but at least I succeeded. Giving up video was actually kind of fun. It's unbelievable how much time we waste on that poo poo.

What are you all giving up?

If you believe in Jesus and think you're going to heaven anyway then why would you even bother?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

super nintendo

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

My wife...but she already gave up on herself a long time ago!

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

If you believe in Jesus and are going to heaven anyway then why would you even bother?

For Lutherans and a lot of other Christians, most things aren't about getting into heaven. To some extent it's about trying to become a better person through self denial. To some extent it's also about tradition for traditions sake.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Catholicism

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
How frequent is lent what the hell? I remember it just ended couple month ago

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
God is very specific on when he wants you to eat a fish.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sex

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
im eating nothing but pussy

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
suckin' dick, ahahaha, jus' kiddin, I'm not religious.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm giving up junk food, so no chocolate, energy drinks, candy, pastries, pizza and anything else I think qualifies.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm giving up on God for lent.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

pepito sanchez posted:

im eating nothing but pussy

Your neighbors will not like that, except the dog lovers.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
poo poo, Lent started today? I thought it started after Easter?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
daily trying and failing to beat ghost and goblins on the nes

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Life :D

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

poo poo, Lent started today? I thought it started after Easter?

There's even a rhyme for it:

Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, Lent
The fifty days of Easter and the Pentecost event

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

same

also good posts

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Religion.

I suffered enough growing up Catholic thanks

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

DAT SWEET DICK

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

NO IM NOT EVER

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Leviathan Song posted:

There's even a rhyme for it:

Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, Lent
The fifty days of Easter and the Pentecost event

That's a terrible rhyme.

Now I have to figure out what I'm gonna give up based on what things I haven't done yet today

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I don't do things to impress people how spiritual I am.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

That's a terrible rhyme.

Now I have to figure out what I'm gonna give up based on what things I haven't done yet today

good posting

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm giving up junk food, so no chocolate, energy drinks, candy, pastries, pizza and anything else I think qualifies.

it always makes me lol when native peoples are strong adherents to the faith that was used as a tool of oppression against them

lol

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

can someone plz explain lent?

do you give up something you like because god gave up something he liked (jesus)?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

religion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

can someone plz explain lent?

do you give up something you like because god gave up something he liked (jesus)?

It's a period of repentance and penance in preparation for Easter. The exact form of the penance varies across cultures and time periods including things like fasting, alms giving, and prayer. The point of giving up a specific thing for lent is to make it a personal sacrifice, consistent with the more personal focus of modern Christianity. This is certainly related to the sacrifice of Jesus but it's not meant to be a direct mimicry, more a following of the same philosophy.

• Locked thread