Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is for posting buildings that are ugly but functional, beautiful but moronic, poorly built, poorly placed, or will kill you for some reason.

We were just talking about this thing in a LAN thread. It's 200 stories high and a condo. Towards the top you've got about a 30 degree slope. Besides the obvious danger of imminent death to passersby, there's the fact that the wealthiest condo buyers in the building, on the highest floors, get windowless apartments for half of the year. This was actually built in tyool 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Do they smash out the windows on a holiday and have a 6 month waiting list to get new ones? This doesn't add up, OP

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

lmao

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
can we not talk about groverhaus for once

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this sovereign citizen stuff might be closer to the truth than we are willing to admit.

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

This thread is for posting buildings that are ugly but functional, beautiful but moronic, poorly built, poorly placed, or will kill you for some reason.

We were just talking about this thing in a LAN thread. It's 200 stories high and a condo. Towards the top you've got about a 30 degree slope. Besides the obvious danger of imminent death to passersby, there's the fact that the wealthiest condo buyers in the building, on the highest floors, get windowless apartments for half of the year. This was actually built in tyool 2014.

Why doesn't that building work properly? IE, why do the windows fall off? IDGI.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
My house is made of poop and sticks

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

amityville anus posted:

Do they smash out the windows on a holiday and have a 6 month waiting list to get new ones? This doesn't add up, OP

hrm? no the issue is that it's a building where the top 50 stories are at a thirty degree angle, in a country that has quite a bit of snow and ice accumulation.

agreed leave out groverhaus

c'mon folks post your ugly brutalist university libraries or whatever. the more oppressive the better!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

imaGINE literal tons of ice falling at the speed of gravity to anybody below lol

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
l-tower is cool and nice and a definite upgrade from whatever basement you crawled out of OP

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

I just explained it. Funnily enough, however, we do have a separate recently constructed skyscraper that *does* have an issue with the windows popping off and hurrying down to ruin someone's nice white blouse.

"“In total, there have been five failures at this building,” Angelucci told the Star, nothing that two may have been caused by impacts, while the cause of others is unknown.
Thursday’s failure was the third time in 10 months that police were called to close a street beside the new hotel-condo building, including when a 53-year-old man was struck and injured by falling glass last September.
No one was hurt Thursday when a panel broke and fell from a private patio on the 51st floor of the condo tower, throwing thick glass shards all over University Ave. and onto the sidewalk."

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

can we not talk about groverhaus for once

no

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
Yeah the L Tower isn't 200 loving stories high, dude.

Sure is ugly, but like, when you look at it in context of the rest of the glass abortions that they've poo poo all over Toronto in the past 5 years it doesn't really stand out that much.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Here's some light reading on times where it did not hold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versailles_wedding_hall_disaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampoong_Department_Store_collapse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I found that Toronto had some of the coolest architecture anywhere. Pushing the envelope can be hazzardous I guess though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

olylifter posted:

Yeah the L Tower isn't 200 loving stories high, dude.

Sure is ugly, but like, when you look at it in context of the rest of the glass abortions that they've poo poo all over Toronto in the past 5 years it doesn't really stand out that much.

Sorry 200 metres.

I actually think it's pretty, it's just dangerous and poorly thought out.

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax

Now here is a real gently caress up, it's called The Tower of David; basically half way through construction poo poo hit the fan economically in Venezuela and all of the financiers pulled out. Now it's an haven for drug dealers and prostitutes and kind of a like a modern Kowloon Walled City

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Which all culminates with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Savar_building_collapse

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

:barf: more like Frank L. WRONG.

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax

Rare Collectable posted:

lol @ when it finally sinks

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Rare Collectable posted:

we must never meet, the gamma ray burst would kill everyone

we are opposite you see

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dave Concepcion posted:

we must never meet, the gamma ray burst would kill everyone

we are opposite you see

That thing is held together by steel cables and volunteers who have to shovel snow off every time it snows. If everyone who works there took the same week off for vacation they'd come back to find a pile of rubble

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rare Collectable posted:

i went here. all the door frames are designed for someone shorter than like 5'7" because FLW was a wee man and hated "tall" people im not kidding.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

love your home posted:

lol @ when it finally sinks

they renovate it every now and then when his ill-advised design begins to crumble.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

That thing is held together by steel cables and volunteers who have to shovel snow off every time it snows. If everyone who works there took the same week off for vacation they'd come back to find a pile of rubble

it's beautiful though

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
lol

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Sorry about all the deaths and wars and poo poo, but those things were ugly and I'm glad they're gone.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

quote:

Dr. Joseph Waeckerle, former chief of Kansas City's emergency medical system, directed the rescue effort [2] establishing a makeshift morgue in a ground floor exhibition area,[10] using the hotel's taxicab driveway as a triage area and helping to organize the wounded by greatest need for medical care.[11] Those people who could walk were instructed to leave the hotel to simplify the rescue effort; those mortally injured were told they were going to die and given morphine.[7][dead link][12] Often, rescuers had to dismember bodies in order to reach survivors among the wreckage.[7] One victim's right leg was trapped under an I-beam and had to be amputated by a surgeon, a task which was completed with a chain saw.[13]

holy gently caress

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

fyodor posted:

i went here. all the door frames are designed for someone shorter than like 5'7" because FLW was a wee man and hated "tall" people im not kidding.

manlets are world champions at being passive-aggressive, it is known

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Inevitable posted:

Sorry about all the deaths and wars and poo poo, but those things were ugly and I'm glad they're gone.

the more time passes since 2001 the more out of place and weird the two huge rectangles smack in the middle of the skyline seem to me.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
muslims have an incredibly good sense of feng shui, apparently

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
For my next design I shall use the interplay of concave and convex surfaces

Oh no, the concave side seems to act as a lense and has melted a car.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

love your home posted:

Now here is a real gently caress up, it's called The Tower of David; basically half way through construction poo poo hit the fan economically in Venezuela and all of the financiers pulled out. Now it's an haven for drug dealers and prostitutes and kind of a like a modern Kowloon Walled City

please get a raid/dredd movie set here tank you

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Green greasy greasels

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

please get a raid/dredd movie set here tank you

it was a location in homeland, but they filmed in puerto rico instead of commieland

sudaphedrine
Aug 9, 2014

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

I just explained it. Funnily enough, however, we do have a separate recently constructed skyscraper that *does* have an issue with the windows popping off and hurrying down to ruin someone's nice white blouse.

"“In total, there have been five failures at this building,” Angelucci told the Star, nothing that two may have been caused by impacts, while the cause of others is unknown.
Thursday’s failure was the third time in 10 months that police were called to close a street beside the new hotel-condo building, including when a 53-year-old man was struck and injured by falling glass last September.
No one was hurt Thursday when a panel broke and fell from a private patio on the 51st floor of the condo tower, throwing thick glass shards all over University Ave. and onto the sidewalk."

whoa, this is minneapolis?

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
lol at people getting mad over the frank lloyd wright house. if goons designed houses they'd be windowless pyramids. can't get any more efficient than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
You could probably repost half of China.jpg in here.

• Locked thread