Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Never seen a house make the DreamWorks face before.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

I worked for a summer inspecting school building fire alarms. We were constantly updating the plans with discrepancies in how the school had been built...still finding them years after the last remodel. They're called "as-builts." My favorites were the chem-lab-equipped high school with fewer smoke detectors than the average elementary school (happened to be my high school), and the firewall that ran like half the length of a (different) high school building but only extended up to the suspended ceiling. The "fix" for that one was to put three smoke detectors above the ceiling in that hallway.

What school district? :allears:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

thats really good hth

the rainwater from the majority of the roof empties into the pool

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chinatown posted:

thats really good hth

the rainwater from the majority of the roof empties into the pool

But it looks like a 3-eyed Mutant Ninja Turtle

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

therattle posted:

But it looks like a 3-eyed Mutant Ninja Turtle

Teenage Actual Mutant Ninja Turtle.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

99 pages but a ____ ain't one

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

peanut posted:

99 pages but a good post ain't one

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
That's one of those buildings where the coolness/lameness quotient hangs on whether it works and is practical.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
these stairways with no railings itt are loving lol

toddlers drown themselves in buckets and hang themeselves with window blind cords. railing-free stairs have to be like a toddler holocaust

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Feminition posted:

Great presentation for the HQ of a religion. The Vatican should take notes.

All of the windows are covered.

(so you can't see people waving for help)

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

A misanthrope posted:

these stairways with no railings itt are loving lol

toddlers drown themselves in buckets and hang themeselves with window blind cords. railing-free stairs have to be like a toddler holocaust

Forget toddlers, it must be super relaxing as you fall asleep at night to realise that if you wake up and groggily go get a glass of water, you could fall to your death.

Someone repost the Japanese house with sheer drops all over the place and no railings.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Is there a reason the scientology buildings are blue?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Is there a reason the scientology buildings are blue?
Yes but I can't tell you until you've attended at least twenty $99 training sessions and ascended to a sufficiently high spiritual plane. The fact they are all blue is itself protected Scientology knowledge. Please accept this DCMA take-down notice.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
All I can see is this:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Default Settings posted:

All I can see is this:

That building was clearly something before the Scientologists bought it, but I can't figure out the right search terms to find out. Anyone have an idea?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

That building was clearly something before the Scientologists bought it, but I can't figure out the right search terms to find out. Anyone have an idea?

it was a hospital, apparently

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedars-Sinai_Medical_Center

it's in the "history" section

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I like big juts and I can not lie
You other realtors can't deny
That when a house goes up with a ton of wasted space
And a faux-dormer thing in your face
You get 25-percent down!

Not so much a failure as nouveau-bland design and colour taking over. (Guess what colour the entire interior is)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Warm Grey? Beige? Greige?
I had to choose house siding recently and those are the only options :(

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Taupe. Definitely taupe.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Blistex posted:

You get 25-percent down!

Not so much a failure as nouveau-bland design and colour taking over. (Guess what colour the entire interior is)

I've seen far worse. At least they tried to do something different. They failed, but they tried.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

peanut posted:

Warm Grey? Beige? Greige?
I had to choose house siding recently and those are the only options :(

Noggin Monkey posted:

Taupe. Definitely taupe.

Ding ding ding!

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sometimes buildings serving a particular function look like fortresses because they were, in fact, built like fortresses for a reason. I don't know if that was the case here but it doesn't seem too unlikely.

Fortress's in a certain way.

http://aliciapatterson.org/stories/corporate-civil-defense

quote:

...One company that has long taken seriously the idea of "hardening" its facilities against nuclear attack is AT&T. "In the mid-1960s" said Art Ammon, network operations manager of AT&T's Long Lines department, "we were installing a lot of interstate cable facilities, and we constructed a number of underground buildings. We were consciously trying to build plant [facilities] that would survive."

In addition to underground operating and relocation centers, AT&T buried much of its long distance cable four feet deep. Key transcontinental cables were routed around major cities that would be prime Soviet targets, and selected microwave towers were specially strengthened.

"In recent years," Ammon said, "as has been the case everywhere, we have relaxed to a certain extent. Now the whole issue is being reexamined. We have gone out and surveyed every one of our relocation centers, and we're working on a set of recommendations for all the Bell companies. The system is not in disarray; we're talking about some fine-tuning. We may even be making some improvements in Netcong."

Netcong, New Jersey, is the site of AT&T's National Emergency Control Center. Located 15 miles north of the Long Lines operations center in Bedminster and 40 miles from corporate headquarters in New York City, Netcong is marked on the surface only by a modest yellow brick building the size of a large garage. Visitors are buzzed in through two doors, walk down four flights and then pass through two heavy vault doors that open automatically one at a time (and could leave an unwelcome visitor stranded in the dead space between them).

Netcong works every day as a switching and control center for long distance calls, which pass rapidly and silently through banks of 11-foot-tall multiplex switching units. The units are hung from the ceiling by heavy steel springs and tethered to the floor with thick rubber bands. If the building were struck by a massive blast wave, the rubber bands would snap and the switching equipment would swing, cushioned by the springs, from the ceiling.

All of the equipment at Netcong is shock-mounted, including the toilets, and the building is stocked with enough food, fuel and other supplies to run for a month cut off from the outside world.

Before being cut off, however, plans are for it to be staffed by personnel from the Bedminster operations center down the road and by top corporate executives. The Bedminster staff would take over a large and now unpopulated room that is equipped with desks, phones, computer terminals and everything else needed to monitor and route calls through the nation's long distance telephone network, or what is left of it. An adjoining large open office lined with plain steel desks is reserved for corporate executives. "It's rather spartan," admits Netcong Operations Manager Gene Koppenhaver, "but hopefully we'll never have to use it."

But there are some minor perquisites of rank even at Netcong. A small office next to the emergency control center contains two desks only. One bears a nameplate reading, "Chairman of the Board-Mr. Brown." The second-and slightly smaller -desk's nameplate reads, "President AT&T-Mr. Ellinghaus."

The nameplates are kept up to date.

remusclaw posted:

This actually kind of works for me because I'm pretty sure that this set up is based on the set of Babylon in the D.W. Griffith silent epic "Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (1916)" As a nod to Hollywood history, I cant think of many better options for monumental. It's tacky but its Golden age of Hollywood tacky.

It was built on the location of the Babylon film set.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 22, 2015

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Blistex posted:

You get 25-percent down!

Is this in Idaho? Looks eerily similar to my sister's house.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is this in Idaho? Looks eerily similar to my sister's house.

Unfortunately, this is a phenomenon that's found all across the US and Canada.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
My favorite "this was supposed to be a hospital in the desert" building, where they recycled the design for a boreal college...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Default Settings posted:

All I can see is this:

the real arkham asylum is/was near me and is now condos.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Jorghnassen posted:

My favorite "this was supposed to be a hospital in the desert" building, where they recycled the design for a boreal college...

i'm sure the college custodial crew loves springtime :(

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
A strikingly large parking lot.

I hate that parking lot.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
a strikingly empty parking lot

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

blowfish posted:

a strikingly empty parking lot

To be fair we don't know when that satellite pass was. But yes. And that contrast with Rome is kind of striking - is that some online tool or a Photoshop job?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

It's Oklahoma, what the hell else are they going to put there?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Accretionist posted:

A strikingly large parking lot.

I hate that parking lot.

why build a parking lot that could fit everybody in your state.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Groovelord Neato posted:

why build a parking lot that could fit everybody in your state.

Because capitalism.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Even Okies don't want to live like ants all packed in and crawling all over each other. Get yer poo poo together italy

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the laws and regulations in america for parking and parking lots are often hilarious and sad

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Cacafuego posted:

It's Oklahoma, what the hell else are they going to put there?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Computer viking posted:

To be fair we don't know when that satellite pass was. But yes. And that contrast with Rome is kind of striking - is that some online tool or a Photoshop job?

I was curious about this, and the image says the imagery date (not sure if that is the date it was uploaded or the date it was taken by the satellite?) is 10/5/2013. So that's a Saturday, usually a pretty busy day for malls.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I was curious about this, and the image says the imagery date (not sure if that is the date it was uploaded or the date it was taken by the satellite?) is 10/5/2013. So that's a Saturday, usually a pretty busy day for malls.

It had been in decline since the 90s, all its anchor stores left, and was foreclosed on in 08 or 09ish.
Oklahoma City is the largest city in the US by area, 600+ mi2 but only about a half million people, so they've got the space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah, it's pretty much considered a dead mall but has managed to hold on pretty long. More recent articles indicate the owners planned to revitalize it somehow but who knows how that worked out.

Judging by the shadows it's probably midday at the time that picture was taken, so yes, the mall is still doing poorly.

• Locked thread