Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rare Collectable posted:

:barf: more like Frank L. WRONG.

i went here. all the door frames are designed for someone shorter than like 5'7" because FLW was a wee man and hated "tall" people im not kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

love your home posted:

lol @ when it finally sinks

they renovate it every now and then when his ill-advised design begins to crumble.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Case Study House #22 in Los Angeles, aka the Stahl House is wildly impractical but is impressive as all heck much like Falling Water:

Strangely, the bathroom was really, really tacky. Straight from the 70s and gross and cheap-looking. It's pretty lol compared to the rest of the place.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

nomadologique posted:

why is it wildly impractical?

in addition to what's already been mentioned it's extremely cold when it gets cold and gets extremely hot when it gets hot. The building is an L-shape so the other part of the L that faces south is all glass-faced as well but it has curtains (a modification on the original design to due someone with some sense about comfort and privacy at the time). The neighbors house to the east sits down about 25 feet in elevation and this was deemed sufficiently invasive that, as a compromise, the original owners bought the neighboring house as well. all the case study houses have aspects that are not very practical and a lot of other elements that are pretty forward-thinking. they used off-the-shelf materials to make otherworldly designs by some of the best designers and architects of the 20th century.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

yes those large windowless buildings are telephone switching centers, now probably converted to data centers. machine no need window. :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

seriouspost: if you love brutalism, have you actually lived amongst it? i grew up around that poo poo and it is the antithesis of joy and corrosive to the human soul. it's the kind of thing that you would line up your leaders against and have them shot in the back of the head. human bloodstain silhouettes would make a lot of sense on the sides of brutalist buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

gently caress a brutalism and suck my dilllz 8====D~~~~~~

• Locked thread