Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Mavric posted:

Do you see no difference between a person with the legal authority to start confrontations and then kill the person if they fight back and a regular citizen who is defending themselves from an unprovoked attacker?

Cop initiates verbal contact with citizen not suspected of any crime
Citizen is not interested in chit chat (a natural reaction)
Cop initiates physical contact with citizen
Citizen recoils from physical contact (a natural reaction)
Cop initiates violent take down (non-instantaneous compliance is resisting)
Citizen is shocked by the violent behavior tries to push cop off them (a natural reaction)
Cop pull firearm to gain control of situation
Citizen tries to push away barrel of gun from being pointed at him (a natural reaction)
Cop pulls trigger and kills citizen

It's a clean shoot, "they reached for my gun" defense mode activate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

SedanChair posted:

That's because the systematic murder of black men was not considered to be newsworthy or a problem until recently. In addition, camera phones have made it possible to document police murder.

And the killing of poor white men is still not news worthy. Killedbypolice.net has a disturbing number of shootings vs unarmed individuals. They seem to be willing to shoot everyone, even Asians!

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

tentative8e8op posted:

Mistakes in favor of defendants happen too, but, from what little I've read, I feel that how this case went was an absolute travesty beyond most simple mistakes. It doesn't help the prosecutor's image that she had previously faced controversy due to her refusal to press charges in another officer's shooting.

Jury Nullification.
Just fix the glitch.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think they make it perfectly clear that they are recording all police killings and not simply suspicious or criminal ones. It's a useful measure even if it does include perfectly justified killings by police because it helps paint an accurate picture of police/citizen interaction in America.

I find it a little strange that I can get statistics for the number of people who died from malignant neoplasm of the ovary, and no one tracks the number of people who are gently assisted into the earth by their local friendly law enforcement officer.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

EDIT:
Oh, hey, here's a fun game: Decide which of the dead people in the following scenarios were killed by the police and need to be counted in our nation-wide survey.

Scenario 1: Drug Dealer Doug is driving his lifted truck at 140mph on the highway as he flees a cop car pursuing him code 3. Without any physical intervention by the police, Doug loses control, crosses the median, and strikes an oncoming car. Doug is ejected from the truck and dies at the scene. The driver of the other car isn't wearing a seat belt, and also dies.

Scenario 2: An off duty police officer kills a home invader with a privately owned handgun that department policy allows him to carry on duty as a backup weapon.

Scenario 3: A lone wolf jihadi takes several people hostage in a coffee shop. As the SWAT team surrounds the building, the jihadi executes his first hostage, prompting SWAT to rush their entry. After the team enters, the jihadi kills another hostage. One hostage is struck by a bullet from the entry team, damaging her spine. She will be confined to a wheel chair for the rest of her life. Another hostage is struck in the head by a less-lethal beanbag round and falls into a coma. A week later, his family pulls the plug on life support against the advice of their doctor, citing their religious beliefs. The jihadi is taken alive, but 48 hours later he escapes custody during a transfer. The manhunt is called off the same day, when it is discovered that he was struck and killed by a semi truck as he tried to cross a freeway shortly after escaping. Six months later, one of the surviving hostages commits suicide. In her note, she blames the constant night terrors caused by memories of the gunfight, and seeing her friend shot in the head with a beanbag in front of her.

Show your work.

Primary cause of death comes from direct involvement of Law Enforcement in the execution of their duty.

Drug Dealer Doug: Not on list (if he flew out of the car and the cop car hits him...on list)
No seat belt guy: Not on list

Off duty Joe: If it's his house not on list. If he rushes over to his neighbors house to shoot the guy...on list.

Jihadi Jeff: not on list......he goes on the killed by Allah/Karma/Odin list.
First hostage Frank: not on list, he was killed by Jeff.
Second hostage Sandy: not on list, mark another one up for Jeff.
Wheel chair Wendy : not on list .......didn't die.
Bean bag Betty: on list, killed by cop.
Suicide Susan: not on list...... unless she commits suicide by cop, charging some officers with a fake plastic gun.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Protesting is a PR move. You do it to try to get public opinion to see and sympathize with your issue.

Protesting that turns into a riot is counterproductive. You would be better off not protesting at all.

24 hour news showing the same group throwing rocks and burning cars over and over again, does not create public sympathy for the cause. John Q Public see's young black adults behaving violently, and it reinforces a stereotype. Instead of wondering what would cause people to act like that, he sees the justification for police heavy handedness.

The whole thing is sad.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

How dare those thousands and thousands of peaceful protestors not do a better job than the police of stopping a few hundred violent people.

It's almost like maintaining civil order is the job of the government or something.

You speak of the government as if it's an entity separate from the people, a popular viewpoint.

The government is viewed as a controlling element or overlord, and not an extension of community.

Disenfranchisement, which leads to no fucks given.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

I have seen people seize plenty of times since I work on a neuro floor, but the biggest danger is usually them hitting their head or falling out of bed unto the floor or once they are on the floor, them hurting their extremities. Severing your spine completely is pretty drat uncommon in general in all but the most severe of traumatic accidents.

I mean, holy poo poo, old people fall and injure their spine all the time, but they have more fragile bones and even then its usually only a compression fracture, not the severing of their spine.

So do most police vans have large bolts sticking out in the back of them?

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

Nah, I'm firmly of the belief that there are really good unions and really bad unions, that the existence of unions in general is a Good Thing.

Unions are there to protect and defend their members. Good member good union, lovely member lovely union. They make it hard to get rid of the "Bad Eggs", and keep good employees from loosing their jobs just because they have a douchebag supervisor.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

It's true though not a single youtube video, tweet, or tumblr was posted on Sep 11 2001. Makes you think.

Heh youtube 05, twitter 06, tumblr 07. You would need a time machine. But I'm sure you know that.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
2 people cut down by Texas cops as they drove by an art event.
So far Killed by police is ignoring this, I guess they didn't have there hands up.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Sheriff can fire his deputies, but a Chief can't just fire cops who are city employees.

Why not? Is there some organization that stops you from getting rid of bad employees?

If your a school administrator, you can get rid a lovely teachers.
if you couldn't, you would have to transfer them to run down schools in poor neighborhoods, just trying to make them quit.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Any word on how many people killed in the Waco riot were killed by police? Last I heard the count was still unclear.

I'm hearing 4 shot by police. This particular event is not of interest in this thread, because old chubby white motorcycle enthusiasts being killed is not edgy enough.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

-Troika- posted:

IMO, SWAT teams should be on a county level in most areas rather than an individual department level.

Interesting idea. How about a step farther and have all cops at the county level.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

True, and there are States with no counties and sheriff's.

So I'll state what I stated as a good rule of thumb. Due to the nature of governments and their authority, it's kinda hard to just go on limiting local law enforcement to be by the Sheriff's office.

Mix in Maryland and Virginia with their drat County Police.

Well maybe the problem is "to many cops".

Cop to Joe citizen ratios by city

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I think it's pretty amazing that those people think 1.) that the assault was for throwing beer bottles and 2.) the suspects died and 3.) this altercation was about stealing beer, when they could have read the whole 500 word article posted right in this thread and found out that all that stuff is wrong. Triple lol because a couple people ITT apparantly were literal eye-witnesses to this :laffo:. And yet here we are, celebrating protests for some poo poo that surveilance footage, testimony and evidence is going to prove completely wrong in a few months, yet again. It's like clockwork, like some sort phases of the idiot version of the moon.

I don't see what thrown beer has to do with the shooting. They happened at different time in different places.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Lemming posted:

It's not like a cop will think "that guy is black, therefore I will shoot him!" It's a combination of things like the cop more likely to think they're a criminal, more afraid for their safety because they assume the guy is more violent, etc. Someone posted a video earlier of two guys open carrying a rifle, one white and one black. The white guy got a talking to by a lone cop, the black guy had a cop draw his gun and point it at him while he called in for a shitload of backup.

It's like climate change, where you can't say "this weather event today was caused by climate change" 100% for sure, but a changing pattern of weather over time lets you know it's happening.

And then sometimes a hurricane calls a black guy a racial slur then breaks into his house and shoots him to death.

Cops shoot more males then females. You are 10 times more likely to go to jail if you are a dude then if you are a chick.
You are more likely to be handcuffed, if your a guy. In a domestic dispute, it's the male that gets hauled off.
Bottom line is, cops are more likely to treat you like a criminal if you are male.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

blunt for century posted:

Can someone give me a brief summary of what happened in Ohio? I hard a few things about it already, but I just want to know what exactly happened that night.

High speed (100+) chase for 23 miles. During chase cops report gunfire coming from the car with no guns. Passenger is seen reloading non existent gun. Cops finally corner car in a parking lot. Dead guy rams cop car to try to break out. 13 cops mag dump into car. 1 Cop (former marine) is a better mag dumper and gets off 49 rounds (I assume 3 mags) in 20 secs, the last 15 into the windshield while standing on the hood of dead guys car. (this tactic is good in Anbar Province, but not so much in Cleveland)
This cop gets charged with manslaughter, but since the 2 people killed are riddled with fatal wounds from the other 12 cops, he is found not guilty.
There is a protest out front of the courthouse with more cameramen then reporters (shocker).

e: cop is white guy, dead people are black.

Dahn fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 23, 2015

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Taeke posted:

Okay, wait. So the claim is that he was in fear of his life, therefor he had to jump on the hood of the car to shoot the two, despite 12 or 13 other officers already peppering it with bullets. Did he jump on the car as his colleagues were shooting, potentially putting himself in the line of fire, or did he jump on the car after the others had stopped, pretty much to finish them off execution style?

I think that is why he was singled out and charged with manslaughter.

He and his partner started firing through their own windshield, so it's likely he wasn't hearing\thinking anything, and just stopped when he ran out of bullets.

Lesson is, if you want to play GTA5 the live version, don't do it in Cleveland

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

-Troika- posted:

Your beliefs are fanciful and dumb. Achieving this would require the total disarmament of the civilian population of the US and of all countries surrounding it and that is never ever EVER going to happen.

You just make them illegal (granted you would need to make some adjustments to the constitution).
Honest people will turn them in, and those that don't will become criminals.
You will have achieved your goal of "only criminals having firearms".

People will start holding hands more and loving each other. We will all work for the betterment of mankind with no regard for ourselves.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Oh Christ, not this poo poo again. Please, tell me where these departments are that let you kill a man in the line of duty and then just... not file any sort of report.

Killed by police dot net has the total at 450 for the year.
Now granted if you actually read the attached stories you will find that they do not fit the narrative of this thread. Most of them are White and most of them are doing something that causes their death.
Apparently, cops putting a cap in kneeling handcuffed victims execution style is a rare occurrence.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

By the way, is there any evidence that the exact blackness of skin predicts police response?

The exact blackness of skin has an effect on interaction with all levels of society. I's called colorism Wiki Link
I'm sure if it was possible to do a police study (it would be way to politically charged to do a good study) you would find that people with very dark skin are treated differently.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait...attacking people for running away, firing warning shots and pistol whipping are only NOW against the rules? Is this some kind of sick joke?

So get rid of municipal cops and make all citizens "that want to be" auxiliary deputy sheriffs. Once everyone is a cop, it will be cops policing cops. Jails will empty and, the reported crime rate will drop.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

The topic literally has "criminal justice" in the name.

We don't talk about facts in D&D, we only talk about
our feelings.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Neither was this, it was a $166 fine he got out of. Essentially he pulled the same stunt everyone else does where you show up to traffic court and argue the paperwork is hosed on your speeding ticket.

This thread has really jumped the shark if we're calling traffic accidents murder.

Unarmed guy killed a cop with a police car couple of days ago in Hutto TX.
Maybe if the cop had jumped on the hood and mag dumped, he would still be alive.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Okay, and I'm not arguing against that, nor excusing said police officers from making colossal errors in this situation, the biggest of which was their inability to neutralise their colleague after they'd removed the child from the situation and before he'd returned to shoot his wife again. Compounded by their actions afterwards where they took his word for the fact she was dead and went about talking him down from blowing his own brains out, when if it was not a police officer, he'd have had 20 bullets in him the second he came out from behind the car.

I only took issue with the people who cannot tell the difference between how its possible for someone to murder someone they know and someone hesitating to shoot someone they know.

Cops treat each other differently then they treat citizens. This is not a new concept, nor is it surprising.

I find it funny that in this instance, we are finding fault with the cops for "not" being trigger happy.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

That is another thing people are being dishonest about. People in this thread aren't complaining about cops shooting people. They are complaining about cops shooting people who are not armed or pose no serious/immediate threat. Trying to paint the situation as either or is very revealing, but just in case people are genuinely that dense, here is a basic explanation of what most people want from cops:

Bad guy doing bad things and is armed? Be trained to stop him and not let him do the bad things.
"Suspicious person" may or may not be armed but not posing an immediate threat either way? Be trained to not shoot at the first sign of movement and instead assess the situation to determine what the hell is going on.
Don't escalate minor interactions into violent ones, regardless of what kind of day you are having.
Don't give other cops special treatment.

Obviously there is a whole different can of worms when it comes to things like people being arrested over nothing, including numerous cases where charges are then dropped, or sometimes not even filed. But that is a much bigger topic.

There does seem to be a rush to lethal force.

Scenario:

Your walking along minding your own business. Cop approaches you and asks to search your pockets.
You refuse and ask "what did I do?" Cop tells you to turn around and put your hands behind your back.
You again ask "What did I do?" (now your resisting)
1 second later, Cop grabs your arms, you instinctively pull away (assault of a peace officer)
Cop trips and pulls you down with him (more assault)
Your on top with the cop holding onto you. he is alone and perceives that he is in danger.
Cop pulls his gun, and points the barrel at you. You instinctively push the gun away from you. (you just went for his gun)
Bang Bang, good shoot, no bill.

Maybe we have too many cops, is there some study that shows that more cops equals less crime.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Man, usually the smarter authority worshipers are deft enough to pivot to "these were isolated bad actors who don't reflect anything at all of the culture and attitudes of their organization, and they are getting charged so the system works" whenever an obvious case of unjustified manslaughter and premeditated violence against a shackled prisoner comes out.

All cops are good except for the ones involved in the 147 incidents listed in this thread.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

I'm just so insanely care mad a cop didn't die!

Good shoot.

Why does a cop need to die?

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

on the left posted:

To get more support from cops, government should make it explicitly clear that police wearing bodycams are allowed to upload funny clips from the day's patrol on youtube/worldstar.

Maybe we need a phone app that automatically starts recording whenever a cop is near.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Devor posted:

Why is introducing unverified video evidence a bad idea? Should we let non-cops, too, veto the introduction of video evidence? No, that video that shows my brother standing next to me pointing a gun at the convenience store clerk, and then shooting him in the head does not accurately reflect what happened Case dismissed!

It's great that the cops were fired, but if the judge was correctly applying the law, the law needs to be changed to always allow introduction of dash cams and body cams from police as evidence. Even if there's another cop who is willing to trash his career to keep his buddy out of prison by lying about the video.

The general "John Q" public has always given law cops the "benefit of the doubt". This is because they never have an interaction with them, sans a traffic incident.
We seem to be seeing an erosion of this trust. The large number of videos of "cops gone wild" are starting to have an effect.
What evidence to include, and what to throw out, is all part of legal system "reindeer games", and has very little to do with the truth of what happened. Lady justice is blindfolded and doesn't want to see the truth, only the parts you can push though the legal process. Both sides of any case play this game, so it comes down to who has the legal team with the most /best resources. This tilts the law in favor of the wealthy over the state and the state over the poor.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

snorch posted:

Police chief who pledged reforms fired amid crime spike

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...9b78_story.html

Welcome to Baltimore aka "The New Detroit"

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

But they don't? In NYC you cannot open carry a firearm, but the NYPD can. It is criminal for a civilian to walk around with a gun strapped to their waist, but it is not criminal for the police to do it. The police are also allowed weapons that civilians aren't. We already give police special privileges with regards to the law, so it makes perfect sense that police also have special scrutiny given to them when they break the law. That is what people are asking for in this thread. If you want police to be treated "equally" under the law, then you should be arguing for all special privileges to be stripped from them as well.

In the legal process cops are always given the benefit of doubt. Almost all traffic violations are some cops word against yours.
Law enforcement officers are agents of "the state", along with DA's and judges (in some states). A private citizen is not on the same team, and therefore not afforded the privilege cops are.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Raerlynn posted:

Okay, so building on this - would you be okay if becoming a police officer required a type of licensing similar to a lawyer or a doctor, and that revoking that license means the individual can never be employed in law enforcement in any capacity? Would you also agree that in the event an officer in good standing is determined guilty of a crime that leverages his status as an officer of the law, his penalty should have a minimum jail sentence and/or a multiplier attached to enhance his sentence? And finally would you also hold that civilians hold the right to tape police during their time on the clock?

Part of the issue is when defenders point to "he got fired" as though it meant something. As Lemming points out, oftentimes the good old boys network will get him hired elsewhere. Hell in St. Louis, their union rep, Jeff Roorda, was a former officer fired from Arnold, tried to sue the city of Arnold, and was caught on the stand by the judge for lying. That's the kind of poo poo that's a problem - if administrative punishment is the only venue because the legal system is unable to objectively handle these issues, there needs to be a mechanism preventing these kinds of people from regaining those positions of authority. There needs to be some kind of accountability, and so far we don't have anything that sticks.

That's really good I think that will work.

Ohh wait, don't cops have unions that protect "human feces mounds" from being removed from their jobs. ( and they protect good cops too)

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

poo poo, Darren Wilson himself had a long record of abuses that simply got deleted over time or never recorded by the police to give him a "star officer" reputation with a clean record. He was part of a police unit that was so corrupt that it actually got caught for misappropriation of funds and disbanded.

We can't even reliably record abuse that occurs among officers, let alone punish it adequately. The network of brotherhood among cops is the primary thing making it virtually impossible to get abuses recorded, since "snitches" have a long history of being harassed, shamed, and sometimes allowed to get shot in the face until they leave the force.

Do you have psychic abilities, or are you just imagining these deleted abuses. Cause cops=bad and therefore there must be something secret and hidden.
OMG am I defending cops.

I just see ink Doc....just ink

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Lemming posted:

You're a loving idiot. Literally ten seconds of googling

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...4390_story.html

I'm sure that in such a department, Darren Wilson was just a shining ray of hope. I believe this because I am a clueless idiot.

Hmmm I read the article seems legit and not desperately trying paint someone in a bad light.

also F U for making me defend a cop

I need a shower

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

This article provides multiple sources detailing how the Ferguson PD cleaned out officers' records. And it's known that Wilson had prior arrested a man for filming him and even outright told him that he doesn't have the right to record the incident (which he does).

quote:

The fact that Officer Wilson had no disciplinary record is different from the fact that he has no record of using excessive force. It could mean that he was not disciplined for use of force. Or that he never used excessive force. But the information that is coming out on him, in drips and drabs, makes me wonder.

Some of his fellow cops do bad things, so we 'imagine' that he must have done some of those things too.

This could be true.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Did you not look at the second link where he arrested a guy for filming him and literally denied that he had the right to record? Like we have video proof that he abused his position.

I had seen it before. His behavior is typical of cops in a low income neighborhood. Cops lie to people all day, they are not required to tell the truth, and they don't. I have lived in some poorer areas of town in the past (cause I was poor) and the cops were all Aholes.

This Darren guy could be a complete Dbag. I don't know him, and I never will cause I don't hang out with cops. (they all catch that "everyone is a potential criminal" disease)

There are a lot of people out there who searching for dirt on this guy. If he was such a total POS you think someone would have found something. Everyone need to justify their hatred of the man, and if he's just a typical cop that doesn't seem good enough.

Sorry but all your e-rage has been directed at normal cop in a lovely urban police department. That doesn't make you a bad person, just an angry one.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

nm posted:

In California, LEOs are explictly banned from juries.

They automatically dismiss the cops in Texas too.
At least in every jury pool I have sat in here.

This seems odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay, it's literally been proven that Darren Wilson worked for a police department that hasn't been properly recording and archiving incidents of abuse and violence with its officers and you just threw up your hands and went "Welp, if we can't find it the proof must not exist!"

I hope nobody ever lets you hit the backspace key.

Actually, that is sort of what I said.

The difference between us is, you assume he is a bad cop cause he worked for a bad department. (they destroyed the evidence) This is not entirely crazy, but you are making some big assumptions.

I think that there is a whole bunch of people out there that have been trying to find dirt on this guy for almost a year, and so far nothing. "Welp, if we can't find it the proof must not exist!" So I entertain the idea that maybe he is just a run of the mill cop.

If they do discover that he was a cannibal rapist in another life, then I will be wrong (not the first time)

I don't get the backspace reference. Is that an internet curse? Am I supposed to throw salt over my shoulder, or kill a chicken to ward off the evil mojo.

• Locked thread