Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

yeah I use buttermilk and/or sour cream in mine and that kicks them up pretty good.

There's an episode of Jacques Pepin where he makes mashed potatoes and he talks about a chef he knows in france that makes some kind of ridiculously rich mashed potatoes at his restaurant that are like 50/50 potato to butter ratio lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

Well yeah, again though, that's like the people who don't like broccoli and it's because they grew up eating brocolli boiled until was nearly tan and limp.

You can get poorly made foods and not like them. That's different than just saying "All apples. Out. Forever."
How can people gently caress up cooking basic vegetables I never understand this. Chop up some brocolli, carrots, and mushrooms, mix em with a bit of olive oil and salt/pepper, bake in a casserole dish with a lid and eat them when they're at your preferred doneness. It's like impossible to screw up but every time I've made it as a side dish for someone they're always like "how did you make brocolli taste so good?" What exactly are people doing with brocolli to make it bad?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ArbitraryC posted:

Sadly there's not enough social shame over this because most americans are fat and only capable of eating things that come from a bag that either give them at least half the salt they should be eating that day or consist entirely of sugar shaped to resemble actual food. Been to plenty of lunch meetings with people well into their 40s who literally pick green things out of their meal and there's pretty much always at least one.

im fat as hell and i pretty much eat anything except for offal (except for hearts/livers), raw tomatoes, and black olives (still eat kalamatas) , hth

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yeah i know plenty of people who arent picky eaters at all but are fat because while they eat a diverse amount of food, they eat a whole lot of it. my dad eats nothing but indian and thai and loves seafood and cooks all sorts of poo poo but hes enormous

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

How can people gently caress up cooking basic vegetables I never understand this. Chop up some brocolli, carrots, and mushrooms, mix em with a bit of olive oil and salt/pepper, bake in a casserole dish with a lid and eat them when they're at your preferred doneness. It's like impossible to screw up but every time I've made it as a side dish for someone they're always like "how did you make brocolli taste so good?" What exactly are people doing with brocolli to make it bad?

imagine yourself being a suburban homemaker slowly sobering up from your drug of choice. its almost dinnertime and you bought these vegetables that you haven't eaten in years because you decided your howling child needs some nutrition other than chicken nuggets. oh yeah, you also have zero culinary background.

edit:

TEAYCHES posted:

yeah i know plenty of people who arent picky eaters at all but are fat because while they eat a diverse amount of food, they eat a whole lot of it. my dad eats nothing but indian and thai and loves seafood and cooks all sorts of poo poo but hes enormous

food owns, lol if you want to live in a state other than constant gluttony

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

well like I said, literally boiling them submerged in water was a common way for people to cook them for a long time.

btw you can step your casserole game up - cut up the broccoli and toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt (and garlic or whatever) and toss it to coat, don't use a ton of oil, then spread it on a foil lined cookie sheet and roast it at like 400. Shake it around a little when you think it's 'half way done' and it kinda crisps the edges, it's real good son.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Lots of goons unwittingly coming out as baby dick childs and 'tists itt.

Also grits and mashed potatoes are nothing alike goddamn whoever said that is dumb as hell

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

btw you can step your casserole game up - cut up the broccoli and toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt (and garlic or whatever) and toss it to coat, don't use a ton of oil, then spread it on a foil lined cookie sheet and roast it at like 400. Shake it around a little when you think it's 'half way done' and it kinda crisps the edges, it's real good son.
Oh I mean I can obviously cook them in better ways than that, it was just an example of how little effort needs to go into it. If you buy precut stuff it's literally just season lightly, stick in oven, and wait; which is not something you should need culinary training for.

There's a lot of foods I could imagine screwing up because there's technique involved in cooking them, but not like simple vegetables as a side dish. That's like being unable to change a tire level of life incompetence.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 20, 2015

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

thathonkey posted:

Also grits and mashed potatoes are nothing alike goddamn whoever said that is dumb as hell

Grits are somewhat similar to mashed potatoes in that they are creamy, white, and neutrally flavored when done plain. gently caress YOU DAD

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i can see mashed potatoes being like grits if you get that "instant" potato sand and don't add enough water, but everything still manages to cook through

edit: the best way to cook all vegetables is, like every other food, to grill them. hth

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Big Beef City posted:

There's an episode of Jacques Pepin where he makes mashed potatoes and he talks about a chef he knows in france that makes some kind of ridiculously rich mashed potatoes at his restaurant that are like 50/50 potato to butter ratio lol

That's how my aunt makes mashed potatoes, it's all white potatoes and tons of butter whipped into an almost pudding consistency. I hate it but everyone in my family talks about how great they are every Christmas. Grits are supposed to be ridiculously buttery but they can still have some texture, when you do that with potatoes it just overwhelms the potato texture and is basically warm, thickened butter that feels and tastes kinda gross.

I always boiled broccoli because that's how my parents did it, I never even tried steamed or roasted broccoli at home before like three years ago. I still like boiled broccoli though and if I want to be really nasty I'll even melt some Velveeta on it. Velveeta is my dirty, shameful secret.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

Grits are somewhat similar to mashed potatoes in that they are creamy, white, and neutrally flavored when done plain. gently caress YOU DAD

And that is where the few similarities end. Dunno wtf kind of lovely instant mashed potatoes youve been eating but they taste nothing like grits hth

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

TEAYCHES posted:

this is the only acceptable reason to be fat.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I used to think eating brains was gross then I found it the Mexican restaurant down the street has secretly been feeding me cow brain for years, so I have come around and brains are actually really tasty when cooked properly.

Inversely I also discovered that calamari in a lot of restaurants is actually just fried pig butthole, and I just don't know I feel about that.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
frie d pig butthole is tasty af, that's how you should feel abou tit

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

the best calamari are the ones with the little tentacles

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I used to think eating brains was gross then I found it the Mexican restaurant down the street has secretly been feeding me cow brain for years, so I have come around and brains are actually really tasty when cooked properly.

Inversely I also discovered that calamari in a lot of restaurants is actually just fried pig butthole, and I just don't know I feel about that.

that pig anus thing has got to be an urban myth

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

nomadologique posted:

frie d pig butthole is tasty af, that's how you should feel abou tit

Yeah, but I feel a little cheated, that poo poo isn't even from the same biome.

And I shouldn't have to pay octopus prices for a bunch of pig rear end they were just going to throw away or turn into hotdogs or school lunches or whatever.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Haverchuck posted:

that pig anus thing has got to be an urban myth

well I'll be damned I just looked it up and you're right. I know they sell inverted pig rectum and I heard it was so it curls up like calamari when they fry.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

MrChupon posted:

At least this is legitimate. To be like this woman you would have to basically claim allergy to kiwis but then constantly get Kiwi shakes at Jamba Juice or whatever. Like it's drat clear she is just a baby about raw tomato texture when she wolfs down Ketchup and Pizza like its going out of style.

as someone who worked in food service for most of my working life, i am 100% in agreement with you. we used to have this couple who came in at least once a week and they would immediately hand the server this piece of construction paper listing somewhere around 35 ingredients that would cause them discomfort or outright kill them. What is the loving point when your throat swells up if you so much as look at a clove of garlic? also, note that "seasonings" was spelled "seasnongs" which really led an aura of credibility to the whole thing

Nomadologique posted:

fod CIKS!"

you know me all too well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

nomadologique posted:

if you wonder what it's like to eat something to extinction, adn the future will never know its taste, remember that as somse poster above me said, the romans ate an herb to extinction... an herb that was apparently delicious enough that thy ewanted to put it on loving EVERYTHING... you will never know its taste, which was probably really good, and would be in the new yorker or something, and in the vegetable aisle at whole foods, so all the rich cunts could slaver over it

i wish i was extinguishing stuff when I eat it... that would be pro

• Locked thread