Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

... Damnit. Taking one of the pregens.

Jester the Clown

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. And Jester has been in love with wrestling most of their life. But knows that however good he is at aerial work, at 5'5" and just under 200lbs there's no way he'll ever make an honest pro wrestler. Which means he's jumped at the chance of playing a ridiculous gimmick just to get into the ring. And is scheduled for his first ever pro match next week - in which he's probably going to cheat crazily and largely ineffectually while being thrown round the ring by whoever he's been booked against - and bouncing round like a rubber ball. Unless it's one of the jobbers or local talent when he might just have to work out how to win the match cleanly. And after capering about, working the mic, and after getting involved in a few matches he's his first actual attempt at a match next week.

Hailing from: Pineville, West Virginia
Finisher: Outside interference
Backup Finisher: Cheating like crazy unless against a non-serious wrestler, when a Boston Crab
Entrance: Silly & Comical

Look +2
Power -2
Real +2
Work -1

FINISHING MOVE:
When you’re booked to win a match, roll 2d6: On a 10+, you hit your Finisher clean. Choose whether you or your opponent gains +1 Audience. On a 7-9, they obviously stall for you to hit it. Choose: they’re making you look bad, gain +1 Heat with them; ham it up along with them, you both gain +1 Momentum. On a botch, you still get the win, but pick one: it’s so nonsensical that you lose -1 Audience; or your opponent refuses to sell it, lose -1 Heat with each other (if you have any to lose).

COMIC RELIEF: When you insert yourself into a tense situation, on or off-camera, roll +real. On a 10+ it’s perfectly timed, pick 2; on a 7-9, pick 1: take +2 Momentum, add or remove a stipulation to a match, gain a concession you’ve wanted, gain +1 Heat with someone. On a botch, it was the absolute worst thing you could have done in that moment.

FUNNY IS MONEY: Take +1 look (max +3). You can still Work the Audience even if you’ve botched it earlier.

STUDENT OF THE GAME: Whenever you lose a match to someone with a higher +work than you, you can choose to lose all your Heat with them. If you do, take +1 work.

When you get injured, check an Injury box. While injured, if youoll on anything but +look when you’re in the ring, choose whether you tick another injury box, or the ref calls an audible andends the match in a no contest.
Audience: +4

Heat: Faces +1
MJ Belle thinks he's a waste of a roster slot +3
Georgie/Flexmaster is always asking him for something new for his act +4
Lacandon, Skeletal Death Master used to be his tag team partner +2
Shinnosuke Nagai thinks my in ring talent is being wasted as Jester +3

(That makes +2 with all the faces, +0 with any of the Heels).

For the record, The Jester is always masked - and if he can get taken seriously (ha!) he'll be a masked luchador. And I'm half considering the spin of in a ridiculous pro-wrestling storyline making The Jester female under the costume.

Edit: Wrestling knowledge - I used to watch in the 90s, and try to figure out what the hell is going on in the Chikara Pro storylines, but am aware my knowledge is shallow.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

John Dyne posted:

Heels?
Jester

Then again I think the heels always outnumbered the faces 2:1 back when I watched Hogan. :v:

Jester can go either way. Really obnoxiously annoying heels is a thing.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

We're having a cameo by Daniel Bryan?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Jester's Heat:
Who’s asking me for tips to add something fresh to their act?
Who was my tag team partner before I found my true niche?
Who thinks my in-ring talent is being wasted in this role?
Who thinks I’m a waste of a roster slot?

TheNabster posted:

» Who is always trying to get management on my side?
The Jester. It's not helping.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

» Who knows I have their best interests at heart?
I don't know whether he's right or not (both could be hilarious), but The Jester at least always behaves that way

quote:

Gogol's HEAT posted:
• Who helps me come up with new directions for my character?
• Who’s made me look weak?

I'm calling dibs on one of those two. Not sure which.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Lord Hypnostache posted:

MJ Belle thinks that the roster slot should be given to someone with a future in the business. She has never found the Jester particularly entertaining or talented.

And The Jester (bless!) thinks that it's all Kayfabe and she's deliberately generating heat for them.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Jester made Gogol look weak.One of the local talent who was wrestling decided to turn the whole thing into a shoot and hurt Gogol to win the match. The Jester worked out what was going on before anyone else did and interfered, trying to make it look as if he was an agent of chaos interfering in both sides. But actually hurting the idiot who had decided to make things real - and not doing quite a good enough job of convincing people that it was actually Gogol that had done the damage. The Jester, of course, denies this point blank - and so officially does everyone else. The official story is that The Jester was being The Jester and the monster heel was slowed down by The Jester, but most people who were there and watching know what really happened. And that Gogol was rescued from a real life beatdown in the ring by The Jester. (I find it hilarious that with Real +2, The Jester is actually the person best able to hurt others deliberately).

The Jester is also a fan of Dorian Mandrake. No reason necessary.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm down a question ("Who mentored me when I first joined the roster?") but it's not that big of a deal, I don't think.

If no one else wants it, I'll take it. More heat is more fun and we were already tag team partners already. Tell me if this is too much.

A couple of years back there was a kid. Could work the microphone like nobody's business, and make a compelling feud with a hatstand. But the kid was tiny, and frankly not terribly good at wrestling. And the kid was also small enough (by wrestler standards) that making them a jobber just got the crowd annoyed, and not in a good way. So they gave The (Masked) Wizard a heel turn into The Necromancer, who used to summon the Skeletal Death God (sometimes as manager, sometimes as tag team partner). While teaching Lancadon to work the ring. When it was time, and when he had the presence to back up his skills, the Skeletal Death God broke free of his bindings, beat him comfortably in the ring to the cheers of the audience, and turned Face. No one's seen the Necromancer since (seriously, the lights went black, for just long enough for The Necromancer to dive under the apron and hide under the ring for the rest of the show - a kayfabe kill by the much abused Death God). A few months later The Jester turned up. Same height and mostly the same skin tone, slightly more muscular build, always masked, and hair under the cap-and-bells. And much better moves (including the capoeira the Necromancer couldn't use because it didn't fit that gimmick but is odd enough for The Jester).

And if that's good, has Lancandon told anyone, including The Jester, that he's worked out that The Jester is actually his old tag team partner?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Promo by The Jester

We start off with The Jester, sitting in the lotus position on a table, a rose in hand. Pulling off the petals one by one and throwing them casually onto a table already covered in them. "She loves me. She loves me not. She loves me. She loves me ... not." He hangs his head and tosses the stem into a basket before smiling and reaching for another rose. "She loves me. She loves me not." The camera pans along the corridor, and there's a trail of roses leading all the way to MJ's dressing room and there's a triumphant "She loves me!"

Then the door to the dressing room opens. There's the sound of heels clicking and of someone (probably MJ) picking up the first rose and saying something. And the sound of heels clicking along tiled floor. Cut back to The Jester who opens his mouth, and tries to say something. Nothing comes out. A few more attempts, and he swallows. Cut to the shadow approaching on the wall - and pan back, and we can see The Jester bolting down the corridor just before MJ arrives before hiding and hyperventilating into a paper bag. Despite the rose petals, the champagne, candlelight, and cake, he bottled it. There's also a not terribly well hidden stereo for mood music, although it's not playing.

Cut a Promo: 2d6+2=7
And that's +1 Heat with MJ. The audience is unimpressed with the Jester's rabbiting, but still wants to see what happens next.

Also if one of you other heels wants to come in and steal The Jester's setup, that's more than fine. Just remember it's The Jester's music prepared on the stereo.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Jester (again)

At the start of the show we see The Jester in one of the waiting areas, sprawled all over a couch, watching the recaps as he idly tosses a stress balls from hand to hand. Nagai's promo draws to its conclusion, and he messes up a catch, causing the ball to bounce off his wrist and then off the back of the couch to roll across the floor (he'd actually been trying to hit himself in the head with the missed catch, but this will do). "What? There is nothing in life outside the ring?" He shakes his head, straightening to a sitting position as his bells jangle. "Now I understand why you had neither the wit to claim credit for my roses with the beautiful MJ." His gaze goes distant briefly. "Nor the decency to admit that wasn't your hard work you were taking credit for. Sure, you're an amazing wrestler." His voice hardens as he stands. "But Nagai. You've so much to learn about things. Things like laughter and friendship. And joy." The Jester smiles. "You poor boy. You need more in your life. More than just the square ring. And what you need is The Jester. I'm coming for you. And I am not going to stop until you laugh."

Cut a Promo: 2d6+2=7 +1 Heat

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Hey! Sorry I've been quiet. I haven't had stable internet and won't for a few more days (I'm posting this from someone else's phone). If it's possible, do stuff without me until I return! I'll try to have one of these LAST WEEK recap posts up tonight.

It happens, and only one person to go (who is posting elsewhere). I vote we move on?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Jester

The Jester cartwheels into the spotlight as his music starts, and starts high fiving the audience. Except that something is weird. Most of the audience are shaking their hands after being high fived. Because in his right hand is an old school electric shock hand buzzer. "After the first three you're lining up for it? Suckers!" He smirks. But they still are. It's not painful, and is part of the experience. By his standards, this is low key as he wants the audience to see a fairly clean wrestling match. Jobbers deserve a chance. Other matches have ended up with the audience being glitter bombed rather than him getting fireworks.

His ring entrance is his normal one and almost as full of infectious energy. Bound to the apron, then leap up to hold a handstand on the top rope (giving an opportunity for a sneaky heel to push him off- in addition to a non-trivial chance of taking a pratfall) and the splits before rolling into the ring. And then offering his hand to Georgie. The referee frowns and points to his hand and with a pout he takes off the buzzer, handing it over before once again offering Georgie his hand.

Work the Audience: 2d6+2=8
Momentum: +1++1 = +2

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Jester

The handshake is clean. No tricks (it just wouldn't be funny), and The Jester bounds back before starting to almost dance in his confusing low, capoeira-influenced style. Bouncing off his hands and ducking under kicks. It frequently works well, slipping clear of Monster Heels, giants, and technicians that should squash him. But it's not so hot for dealing with someone else bounding with energy. It just makes the whole thing look like a mess. Two people bouncing past each other.

Wrestling with Face for slipperiness: 2d6+2=6 Spend a momentum for 7, and keep control of the match.

This isn't working. He needs to be closer. He has all the energy in the world to play off. Closer and sillier. He is, after all, The Jester. And defensive frustration makes the crowd pop when he looks as if he's on the wrong side of a squash match. But this is Georgie he's fighting. Flexmaster. A jobber, so out of sheer perversity he wants to put him over even if he's going to end up winning the match. And he knows about the fine art of Jobbing. So The Jester calls for a punch, and slides between Georgie's legs, pushes, then leap frogs the Jobber. His back to Georgie, he smirks, and gets grabbed round the waist and hoisted up on Georgie's shoulders. Near enough to chat as he tries to wriggle free, and Georgie tries to slam him. Ending in a tilt-a-whirl DDT for the first throw of the match - right the length of the ring, and the crowd starts to pop.

2d6+2=12 +1 Heat

And The Jester proceeds to caper a little, again chatting. He's been watching Georgie. They practice together and Georgie has, after all, been coming to him for advice. This is just like practice. Spin kick brushing past spin kick, each missing by a hair - but after the second exchange it's time for another leapfrog into a sunset flip. The attempted pin is easily countered with a reverse and a further reverse - after the fifth reverse Georgie throws The Jester off, leading to The Jester backflipping hard into the ropes as Georgie gets back to his feet. Keeping up The Jester's reputation of bouncing like a rubber ball.

2d6+3=13 +2 Momentum

The Jester now has the bit between his teeth, and is breaking out everything from practice that neither of them normally use because they aren't meant to be that good, or because they aren't completely certain of it. A Hurricanrana ends with him bouncing off the ropes and having his ankle caught by Georgie who pulls his legs out from under him. Both of them raising the energy and keeping moving. It's the warm-up match, so it's going to be a short one. Which means The Jester is going to pack as much wrestling as he can into the five minutes they have. But even he can't keep up the high intensity they've been pulling. So it's time to try unleashing their suplex variant. First time this has been seen. The Jester launches himself at Georgie who catches his foot and bends back, giving The Jester a hearty push. Normally a cheap move used for height and to pretend to be a Monster Heel. But the angle is carefully chosen to go right over the turnbuckle. There's trickery involved in this move, and a lot of care needed. The Jester in theory should go just over the turnbuckle - but instead he lands on it and launches himself off with a two footed push at high speed, screaming as he flies. The cameras are going to be careful editing this one of course. There aren't many advantages of being as light as he is, but the ability to go flying is one of them. And people wonder why the mats on the entrance walkway reach so far up; he'd possibly have cleared the safety barrier had that been at another angle. Instead he lands with an aikido roll on crashmats, rolling a further couple of times (it's actually safer) before collapsing. Georgie's going to have to carry him back in the ring as the crowd pops.

2d6+3=13 +1 Heat

Momentum 3, Heat 4.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Jester

To dodge, The Jester arches backwards, switching to walking on his hands as he launches a double footed kick at Georgie, throwing him into the ropes for a standard bounce off the ropes. The Jester rolls at Georgie, his two footed trip causing Georgie to crash hard and allowing The Jester to roll out of the ring and grab a can of shaving foam from under the apron and hold it up. He's about to go in with the shaving foam, and can hear one of the announcers calling for it (and the other telling him it's silly). But the crowd's cheering dies down and he even receives a few boos for his trouble. Apparently they don't want to see the shaving foam.

Wrestling with Look 2d6+2=8 - spend a momentum to keep going.

Fortunately one of the things about being a comic relief character is that you get used to your gimmick falling flat. And learn to roll with that sort of punch - the best you can do if the gimmick isn't going over is reverse it. So he holds the can high up in the air, and says two words, pitched to carry to the front row (and the few plants there) - and that Georgie and the Ref will both hear. "Just wrestle!"

The plants in the audience take up the chant first as he holds the can and climbs up onto the apron. "Just wrestle! Just wrestle!" It's almost intimidating as it spreads through the audience, and with a theatrical shrug as if to say 'what can you do?' he hurls the spray can right into the audience to loud cheers. The throw itself was a fairly gentle lob, but he's selling it as a very hard baseball throw, following forward and only grabbing the ropes behind him to avoid a pratfall off the apron at the last second and using the momentum to let him roll under the ropes. The can itself was hurled towards one of the plants, who deliberately butterfingers the can, knocking it to the feet of a ten year old boy (something his family is going to regret).

Work the Audience 2d6+2=7 +1 Momentum

There's no denying that The Jester is rattled. His gimmick isn't going over at all, but from the actual wrestling between the two of them is. Which is surely the wrong way round? So he dives forwards on his hands, legs locking round Georgie's waist, and tries to roll him up for a sucker's two count. And he quite deliberately lets himself be thrown back into the turnbuckle to pass the lead across. This audience isn't behaving normally, and he needs to get his head back in the game.

Wrestle with Heat: 2d6+4=8 - he'll take the momentum and pass the lead across.

Momentum 5

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 4, 2015

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Jester

The Jester's Lion Tamer looks pretty shaky. As if Georgie's on the verge of escaping at any second but can't quite manage it. The Jester is blown, panting, and struggling, but he has this match in the bag. Just. It had looked for a long time as if Georgie was going to win, but he taps out eventually, with The Jester wanting to collapse. And to bounce. Cheers and boos from the audience both as The Jester slumps, clearly exhausted as his hand is raised in triumph by the referee.

Finisher: 2d6=6 - spend 4 points of momentum to upgrade that to a 10. He'll gain +1 Audience to hit +4

(Ending a match with +4 Heat for a further +1 Audience, and The Jester hits +4 - and gains the Student of the Game move.)

A blown Jester lets his hand be raised, clearly winded and panting, and as soon as it's dropped he walks over to his fallen opponent, raising Georgie's hand and gesturing upwards, to raise the level of cheering. The audience is on its feet, and spontaneous chants of "Just Wrestle" break out. In a low voice The Jester says to Georgie "Any more audience reactions like that and they'll have to promote you."

Work the Audience: 2d6+4=14 +2 Momemntum

The match itself was a bit of a shoot. It was meant to be light, fluffy, and silly, as a warmup. Instead between the two of them they have thrown down a gauntlet to the rest of the roster. Challenging those higher up the card to do better than that. But when the audience is booing your gimmick and instead cheering you on to "just wrestle", what can you do?

Dare To Be Stupid strikes up once more as the wrestlers leave the ring and head up the walkway to cheers.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 5, 2015

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

What's happening backstage? And is anyone politicking with anyone else?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Jester

Instead of hitting the showers, The Jester heads straight to Maggie Chow's office and pokes his head round the door - unseen by any camera although still largely in character. Catch her while the next match is on - and the crowd isn't popping quite as much yet. That rivalry's going to have to be built up a little. "I know I threw away my gimmick." He shrugged expressively, both arms rising high into the air. "When the audience is like that what can you do? And pranking a Jobber just isn't funny." He tilted his head to one side, listening to an audience reaction that's about as negative as the audience had been to his can of shaving foam. "And marry, m'lady, 'tis the job of a fool to speak the truth. Thou hast confused thine audience and they knowest not for whom they should cheer."

He frowned. "High class and Mandrake both, like me, are 'tweeners. Neither true face nor true heel." He raised one hand. "Marry, m'lady, High Class is The Man, and Mandrake the Rebel. Therefore they know they shoulds't cheer the Rebel and boo the man." And the other hand "But foreasmuch as Mandrake is thy knuckled mugger, and High Class thy babe in th'woods they know they shoud not cheer the mugger, but his victim." And then his left foot off the ground, leaning forward and holding his leg back in what looked like a ballet position. "Yet High Class won. Should he the hero prove to be, he won the first fight. For hero to win the first true fight shows't the hero has no true enemy. Yet..." He windmilled his arms and pratfalled forwards.

"The audience knows not which way to turn. And falleth forward e'en as I." He stood up - on his hands, upside down. "Or is yet to be revealed not all is as it seems? 'tis a sting by Officer Annie? Working with Mandrake so that a traitor should be revealed for what he truly is?" Head to the side, legs in splits. "My congratulations, m'lady. 'tis an excellent angle in truth." And he was fairly sure wasn't the real one, but it gave Maggie a way to retroactively rescue the situation and make the first short match and that abortive one into an excellent setup for a feud. Most hilarious of all was the potential tag team of Mandrake and Officer Annie.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Has anyone seen our Skeletal Death God post on the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Jester picks up a mic and taps it. "Is this thing on?"

• Locked thread