Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Oh man, this game. I love this game. I'm surprised to see someone jump right into Black Flag, though. I figured we'd have to see an LP of 3, which would probably require someone to go though Brotherhood and Revelations, because of how tightly knit the storyline is. A lot of what's going on in the 'modern' timeline doesn't make much sense without the AC3 context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
A friend of mine pointed out when he played though the game, that Edward and Adewale have this conversation about properly stowing their powder on their ship, and then throughout the game, you're using your swivel gun to shoot the enemy's exposed powder magazines, but you never have the enemies doing that to you, because of that. I thought it was a neat touch.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

ally_1986 posted:

requesting bonus video of sea songs at some point! That one sounded quite catchy from what I heard.

A few of them are pretty good. Most of them just fill the space, though.

Is there any reason you're showing all the random running around grabbing collectables? Because it hasn't really gotten any more interesting than it was in Havana, and it's not really going to be any more interesting in the eleven billion other locations in the game.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Fire barrels aren't too useless, you just need to use them right. You can sweep in really close to an enemy, rake them with your cannons, then then turn away and throw a pack of fire barrels right into their hull for a huge amount of fast damage if you get a good angle. Mostly though, they're useful to control the AI's behavior. Since the AI will always steer away from them, they can be used to force a ship to turn in a particular direction, which can be really handy when you're punching above your weight class and want to keep from drifting into an enemy's broadsides.

Also fun if you have some time to waste: A Schooner requires 5 kills to take over. If you have a lot of extra pirates, try not boarding a ship or using your swivel gun at all, and just waiting and seeing how long it takes your pirates to do it themselves, and how many of them you lose before they do. Spoiler: Your pirates are useless.

When you are on the swivel gun, a handy trick I use a lot is to turn on Eagle Vision. This will make the enemies glow bright red, and is really useful when the target deck is obscured by smoke, since the eagle vision will cut right though that and light up your targets really nicely for you.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I would like to say about fleet management: There's a very good reason to keep ships in every class in your fleet. First, smaller ships will do missions more quickly. This doesn't matter so much when the mission time is 5 minutes, but when you get those missions that are 24-36 hours, it can become really big. Usually missions with larger cargo requirements pay better, but that isn't always the case. Sometimes you'll get really profitable missions that only require 10 or 15 tons of cargo but still have huge time costs, and using smaller ships can shave many hours off the mission timer. Typically I'll keep 2 Scooners, 3 Brigs, ad then 5 Frigates and 5 Galleons.

The other reason to do it is because smaller ships fire faster. You might have noticed that when you were using Frigates to fight Gunboats, they took one or two hits each time before they destroyed them. A Schooner can also sink a Gunboat in one volley, but can almost always fire first if you have it in the 'increased speed' section of your fleet. As you pointed out, gems are basically worthless once you get going because of how many you'll get capturing and selling off ships, but still. A Schooner can sink a gunboat in one volley, and a Brig can sink a Schooner in one volley. A Frigate can not sink a Brig in one volley, but a Galleon will sink both Brigs and Frigates in one.

This does depend on the level of the ship, though. Higher level ships have better stats, and I decked my fleet out in the highest level ships of each class, so I don't know if this holds true for the lower level ones.

• Locked thread