Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

fatherboxx posted:

Bulleteer on its own looks and works like a generic cape comic, one should get that it deliberately satirises the depiction of big booty superheroines and the creepy fans/artists behind them.

Oh, well, I was just thinking the plot rather than the thematics. After all, Klarion has some pretty major references to Pilgrim's Progress and Archie comics that provide a lot of meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fatherboxx posted:

lol at the guy championing Sandman
that comic did as much harm to American comics as did the bad cape comics of the 90s: it celebrated the cult of the writer and pigeonholed vertigo into "wack poo poo for goths and wiccans" for years until Preacher and Transmetropolitan and 100 Bullets hit big (Shade, Hellblazer and Enigma own tho).

I read Seven Soldiers waay back when I only started reading superhero comics and understood maybe 3/4 of all stories - Mister Miracle and Bulleteer heavily rely on the background knowledge. It is a generally weird, but pretty comic, so you can just jump along for the ride among transgender knights and man-eating fairies from Earth future

Because the 90s weren't firmly ensconced in the cult of the high profile artist or anything

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

fatherboxx posted:

lol at the guy championing Sandman
that comic did as much harm to American comics as did the bad cape comics of the 90s: it celebrated the cult of the writer and pigeonholed vertigo into "wack poo poo for goths and wiccans" for years until Preacher and Transmetropolitan and 100 Bullets hit big (Shade, Hellblazer and Enigma own tho).

...And? That doesn't really make the comic itself bad, does it? It just means that it's influential.

Sandman is the story of Dream, or Morpheus, the Prince of Stories - he has a lot of names. He's not a god, but one of the Endless, the seven personifications of existence. The series begins when he's captured by a mortal occultist, and his quest to regain his powers after he is freed. It starts out as horror, but shifts more and more into fantasy. It's a story about stories, constructed around the tragedy of Morpheus.

The first arc seems to have been made to sell it to audiences afraid of a comic with no superheroes in it, so Batman et al make appearances. But the comic more or less pretends that didn't happen later on. It's still worth reading. My favourites have always been the "little" stories that sideline the main arcs, but are just as important. Some of them have been mentioned.

Sandman # 13, "Men of Good Fortune"

A whim of the Endless makes a mortal man immortal. He meets Dream every 100 years in the same tavern, and figures out the true reason behind his gift.

Sandman #19, "A Midsummer Night's Dream"

A struggling author has made a deal with Dream for the gift of storytelling, in exchange for two plays. Now he has to stage the first of them for Morpheus's friends.

]

The twist being that the "friends" in question are also the subjects of the play.

The issue won a World Fantasy Award for short fiction, normally meant for prose fiction.

Sandman #31, "Three Septembers and a January"

Dream is challenged to protect man about to commit suicide from his siblings. He does it the way he knows best - by giving Joshua Norton a dream.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 12, 2015

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sandman #31, "Three Septembers and a January"

Dream is challenged to protect man about to commit suicide from his siblings. He does it the way he knows best - by giving Joshua Norton a dream.

I love Three Septembers and a January. It's a fun little story about a historical figure, and the last page is one of my absolute favorites in comics.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

FiftySeven posted:

its already been said but seriously guys, Saga.

Its a very very good story set around a war torn planet and its moon and is about star crossed lovers from two warring factions and the family they make. Weird weird family. It also features Lying Cat.

Hes pretty much the worst character, and he will back me up on that fact.

You heard him.
Bought the first four books from Amazon. Got them yesterday. Awesome. The only problem is that we're at a cliff-hanger at the end of volume 4 and I don't see any schedule for volume 5. Looks like about 9 months between volumes, so maybe this coming September or October?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Dan7el posted:

Bought the first four books from Amazon. Got them yesterday. Awesome. The only problem is that we're at a cliff-hanger at the end of volume 4 and I don't see any schedule for volume 5. Looks like about 9 months between volumes, so maybe this coming September or October?

Pretty much the way Saga (also Sex Criminals and East of West) is there is a release 6 issues, then a 3 month break (this is typically where the collected edition is released) and then the whole cycle starts over. If you want to start reading month to month we are 2 issues into the most recent cycle.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Y: The Last Man is really good (it's the work that got me back to some extent into western comics after my Marvel superhero childhood gave way to manga) and that is a solid writeup for it. It's worth noting that it and Saga share the same writer. Author? Is the person who writes a comic book an author?
I'm pretty sure the word is "mangaka". (Just kidding). It's author (pretty sure anyway). I think the skill set for being a comic book author and book author aren't all that different. My daughter and I saw Neil Gaiman in during a book signing in Saratoga Springs, NY a while back (he said it would be his last book signing since there were like 1,500 people there). He said he had to there were some significant differences in what he learned to do for The Sandman versus what he does now for books, but I think the basics are the same.

So, now I want to buy all of Y: The Last Man, but I'm not sure what to get. There's like 10 volumes or so on Amazon and then a few pages in there's another Volume 1 and Volume 2 with more pages.The more-pages volumes are a lot newer. Actually, volume 2 came out yesterday. Anyone know the difference?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Literally The Worst posted:

The idea that because it has superheroes it can't be good and thus talked about here is loving moronic, hth. Seven Soldiers is loving fantastic and features hobo pirates riding magic subway trains and their captains are analogs for Alan Moore and Grant Morrison.

I like superheroes and I like Morrison, I just thought the thread was meant more for non cape stuff.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dan7el posted:

I'm pretty sure the word is "mangaka". (Just kidding). It's author (pretty sure anyway). I think the skill set for being a comic book author and book author aren't all that different. My daughter and I saw Neil Gaiman in during a book signing in Saratoga Springs, NY a while back (he said it would be his last book signing since there were like 1,500 people there). He said he had to there were some significant differences in what he learned to do for The Sandman versus what he does now for books, but I think the basics are the same.

In case of most mainstream comics, the labor of creating comics is divided between the writer and the artist, so the authorship in Y: The Last Man is divided between Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra (and whatever fill-in artists were there). Neither of them own the rights to it, because DC Comics, suckazzz! Recently, with the rise of really expressive, skilled and outspoken colorists, it has become customary to credit colorists among the team.

Comics are a visual medium, so most of the work lies on the shoulders of the artist.

The best comics are done by a single person (cartoonist) anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I like superheroes and I like Morrison, I just thought the thread was meant more for non cape stuff.

Why would that even be? There's plenty of dope comics with superheroes in them. Everyone should read the Kirby/Lee Fantastic Four, for example!

fatherboxx posted:

Comics are a visual medium, so most of the work lies on the shoulders of the artist.

I'm glad you were able to tell people which side of the artist vs writer debate to come down on, now nobody ever has to have that discussion again

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Five pages in and no-one mentions SCUD: The Disposable Assassin? For shame on all of you :colbert:.

SCUD is exactly what the title implies - he's a disposable vending-machine-deployed Assassin. Put 3 Franks in the machine, give your Heart Breaker Series 1373 model SCUD robot a target, and off it goes to kill them dead. What makes the protagonist different is he had the misfortune to notice the words "THIS UNIT WILL SELF-DESTRUCT UPON TERMINATION OF TARGET" on his back, and did not like this one bit. So instead of killing his target, a self-mutating nigh-unstoppable mutant named "Jeff", Scud shot off all her limbs and stuck her in a hospital to keep her stabilized. To keep her that way, however,, Scud has to pay for her medical bills by taking any assassination jobs he can get. Otherwise if she dies, so will Scud.

The full 24-issue run is available as a single omnibus, and is a very fun read.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dan7el posted:

I was going to just buy the volumes when I got caught up at the end of 3, but ended up caving and heading to the actual local comic book storetm and buying the floppy individual issues just to satiate my need for more Saga. This happened at the same time as I got hooked on Rat Queens and Ms. Marvel; bringing the total number of comics I'm buying as they are published to three (3). (as opposed to waiting for collections, which is what I normally do)

Anyway, who all is actually reading new things they might not otherwise have thought about? I see lots and lots of recommendations covering a great many subjects and styles, but not as much discussion of people reading things that are new to them.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

When I lived in Charlotte, NC, I had a local shop where I maintained a subscription. On a semi-regular basis I'd walk into the shop, go to my shelf, and grab whatever the owner had put in there for me an pay for them. I just found out that there's a comic book shop about 6 minutes away from my house, so I'm going to run over there sometime soon and see if I can get a subscription going with them. I would hope so. I haven't bought a comic book in over 11 years now, though (the stand-alone floppy kind. Obviously, I've purchased volume sets because I just got four from Amazon).

I also recently got the first five volumes of Brody's Ghost by Mark Crilley. The Brody's Ghost series is okay. I wouldn't call it a "stand out" recommendation for this thread, though.

Okay, so I just ordered Scud: The Whole Shebang from Amazon. Apparently, it's out of print, so I'll be getting a used copy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jonathan Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers run is loving phenomenal and you herbs should read it, it's about universes colliding and what you'll do to save yourself and the people you care about

The answer is "kill an entire planet

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

No, you shouldn't, it is terrible.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah you should read his FF/F4 first.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fatherboxx posted:

No, you shouldn't, it is terrible.

Cool, good post, that is also wrong, much like all your other posts in this thread.

It's definitely a series that benefits from being read all at once, and even moreso from having a good reading order laid out, which I was lucky enough to get from forums poster d00gz, but going "no it's bad" is like the least correct thing you could possibly say about it. Slow to start? Sure. A little too big to the point it becomes overwhelming? Absolutely. Bad? Not even close.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cool, good post, that is also wrong, much like all your other posts in this thread.

It's definitely a series that benefits from being read all at once, and even moreso from having a good reading order laid out, which I was lucky enough to get from forums poster d00gz, but going "no it's bad" is like the least correct thing you could possibly say about it. Slow to start? Sure. A little too big to the point it becomes overwhelming? Absolutely. Bad? Not even close.

Hmm, well, this a Dickeye post for sure, but once he's gone home, I'll suggest something far better than whatever bullshit I can't be bothered to remember the name of that he's rec'ing.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Hothead-Paisan-Homicidal-Terrorist/dp/1573440841

Expensive, but worth it. Pure id, straight from the heart. What alt-comix is all about.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ah yes I see what you did there, brought up a tepid "burn" from a year ago in an effort to make yourself look like you matter, good show.

This thread's loving garbage.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

straight up garbage actually

here, read 100 issues of sad people discussing whether genocide is bad and going into portals

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ah yes I see what you did there, brought up a tepid "burn" from a year ago in an effort to make yourself look like you matter, good show.

Uh...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Then get the gently caress out of it 'cause you ain't helping.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
forget it, have fun

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So how about that Kirkman? Is Battle Pope as good as it sounds like it might be?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Nope, but Brit is.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Zero_Tactility posted:

I love Three Septembers and a January. It's a fun little story about a historical figure, and the last page is one of my absolute favorites in comics.
It is mine too

Though there are some great horror stuff in earlier issues of the Sandman

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I like ya Dickeye but please don't have a meltdown over nothing, it ain't cool. :(

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I like ya Dickeye but please don't have a meltdown over nothing, it ain't cool. :(

Why would you like Dickeye.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sandman is one of the single greatest things I've ever read and is a huge part of why I fell in love with comics (East or West) in the first place.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sharkopath posted:

Why would you like Dickeye.

He's an okay fella when he's not freaking out over things and his enthusiasm is great. :)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

He's an okay fella when he's not freaking out over things and his enthusiasm is great. :)

He's freaking out about things in every thread though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

everythingWasBees posted:

He's freaking out about things in every thread though.

Mostly I'm just amazed at the wrong poo poo that gets posted in this thread and everyone just accepts it as fact, also effectronica sucks farts

So how about that Kirkman? Is Battle Pope as good as it sounds like it might be?

Kirkman's loving awful, don't give him any money.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Dickeye is totally right about Hickman's Avengers fwiw, it's loving sprawling and kind of slow but if you can put up with Berserk or HxH the pace shouldn't bother you at all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My experience with Kirkman is that he's decent enough but seems to consistently have problems with writing distinctive character voices. Haven't read that one but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case with it as well.

Maybe he has gotten better about it since it has been years since I've read anything by him. That would be cool.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Mostly I'm just amazed at the wrong poo poo that gets posted in this thread and everyone just accepts it as fact, also effectronica sucks farts

Kirkman's loving awful, don't give him any money.

What's so bad about him? Walking Dead was a pretty good read for a book about zombies.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

What's so bad about him? Walking Dead was a pretty good read for a book about zombies.

He's got two major flaws: Like someone else mentioned, he can't write distinctive character voices. Rick sounds like Carl sounds like Mark sounds like Allen the Alien sounds like that dinosaur dude from Invincible #100. It's all very wooden and stilted and people telling you how they're feeling and what they did just flat-out instead of it being, you know, good writing. The other issue is he banks really really realyl hard on ~shocking violence~ to the point that it stops being shocking and is just dumb. Invincible is the easiest example of this: The early issues were violent for a superhero book, broken bones, black eyes, blood, but people got used to that, so it's ramped up over time to Atom Eve getting punched through her chest and Mark headbutting a guy until the dude's face is concave. All of this, again, in place of actual good writing.

Thief of Thieves is actually the best book with his name on it, because he doesn't actually write it. He plots it (which he's actually good at, he's good at big picture stuff and not so good at the details of moving from point a to point b) and lets other people write it.

edit let me say one nice thing about Kirkman: The man really Gets father-son relationships, which is why they're at the core of most of his work, and in the brief moments where those relationships are at the forefront of the story, he magically becomes a better writer.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 16, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's really bad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It's really bad

Whoa

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zero_Tactility posted:

My first real exposure to Moomin was in the BSS newspaper comic thread, and it's really wonderful. Moominpappa is my spirit animal.

-------

Bone by Jeff Smith

Pretty much what you'd get if Walt Kelly's Pogo and an epic fantasy series crashed into each other and got all tangled together. Bone follows the abstractly cartoonish Bone cousins (Fone, Phoney, and Smiley) as they are chased out of their hometown and stumble into a valley where some serious poo poo is about to go down (including dragons, cults, and possibly the end of the world).

Generally light in tone,

it still manages to really sell its serious moments.

Complete coincidence with regards to this thread but I just finished this myself. I'd be lying if I said everything worked but overall top to bottom it was a very good read. Great page turner that despite its length was easy to start and finish in a matter of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Decided to try Saga as my first foray into western comics since my Scott Pilgrim obsession from a few years ago.

• Locked thread