Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
AIDS, Measles, The Plague. All these are caused by technically living creatures. Their whole existence revolves around infecting and killing us. WHy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Because this world is a death world, and modern society makes us forget that fact.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
supply & demand, op. the invisible hand of the marketplace commands not only economy, but evolution as well

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I mean at least cancer or diabetes is our own body failing us but that's not enough. There just needs to be things out there ready to attack and kill us at a moments notice.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Volume posted:

AIDS, Measles, The Plague. All these are caused by technically living creatures. Their whole existence revolves around infecting and killing us. WHy?

Because man chose to sin and we live in a fallen world.

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
We won that battle 1000's of years ago, there were these huge shell covered things and we would kill them and live in their shells.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Ironically one of those creatures will inevitably kill everyone except the goons who live in their own filth. They'll have built up an immunity to any kind of disease.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If you think about it there are whole creatures out there who only kill pigs and poo poo but we don't care because they don't infect us.

Makes you think.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
we paper over the truth of our feeble existence with medicine and science while pretending we are greater than the crucible that forged us.

here's hoping a moon sized meteorite doesn't kill humanity tomorrow!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pit bulls

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Volume posted:

Viruses aren't living creatures, tho clearly they possess more intelligence than you

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Man is the most dangerous game, OP

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Teleologically speaking nothing actually has a purpose it's all just interacting energy cascades.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Humans are not necessary to the lifecycle of bubonic plague (Yersinia pestis).

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Life is a test op.

open container
Sep 16, 2008
fuckin deep bro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyc12-neTjM

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
Well I guess now you know how everything else on the planet feels.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

joe rogan's wisdom touches me. fuckin deep.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Volume posted:

none of those exist to kill us. the fact that they kill us is pretty maladaptive, as they have many cousins which exist and multiply harmlessly inside us in perpetuity, using us perfectly as a host

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
They do it out of mercy, OP.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Blazing Zero posted:

here's hoping a moon sized meteorite doesn't kill humanity tomorrow!

I think we would have heard about it by now

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
there is a creature, op. it's called man :twisted: .

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

it would be much cooler if there were like real, ambulatory creatures that did this. but only in like the third world and stuff

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

subhuman filth posted:

none of those exist to kill us. the fact that they kill us is pretty maladaptive, as they have many cousins which exist and multiply harmlessly inside us in perpetuity, using us perfectly as a host

Until you mess them up with a douche

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the whole point of life is actually to kill other life

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Zzulu posted:

the whole point of life is actually to kill other life

nature is satan's church

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

subhuman filth posted:

nature is satan's church

This is oddly true and beautiful

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Sharzak posted:

This is oddly true and beautiful

Its from a Lars von Trier film with a talking fox.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

My mind is blown.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

I am clicking real and nothing happens. HALP!!

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Neptr posted:

Viruses aren't living creatures,

that's just what they tell dumbass students who then believe it for the rest of their lives

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

ArtIsResistance posted:

that's just what they tell dumbass students who then believe it for the rest of their lives

viruses arent living creatures by any reasonable definition of 'living'

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Connie Bird knows the score.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

what about Cyrus the Virus? he didn't want anyone to be healthy and happy

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

subhuman filth posted:

viruses arent living creatures by any reasonable definition of 'living'

it's an ambiguous definition but then you wouldn't understand what that word means

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

ArtIsResistance posted:

it's an ambiguous definition but then you wouldn't understand what that word means

Uh huh. And where precisely did you do your Ph.D. in virology? Viruses are obligate intracellular pathogens.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 19, 2015

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
If you could be any living creature, why be the most "successful" creature, and not the organism they preys upon it? (If you consider viruses as living of course, but you know what I mean.)

But you know what? If you were some virus that ate human flesh, why would you try to kill humans? You'd farm those fuckers! You'd do everything in your power to increase their numbers, to give you more and more human flesh to consume, if they were too dumb to do something you'd infect their very brains and MAKE them do it. And you'd make them have sex, make them learn how to support more human prey, make them live longer so you could infect them longer.

tl;dr: our brains are actually being controlled by sentient viruses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Viruses aren't living, but they're creatures.

• Locked thread