Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

The hero is Goku - No! The hero is YOU!
:siren:Pre-Order Bonus:siren:

SSJ4 Vegeta, and Crystal & Gold Saiyan Armor for your created character

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse is a Dragon Ball game developed by Dimps for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Microsoft Windows (via Steam). The release date for all consoles is February 5, 2015 in Japan, February 13th in Great Britain, February 27th in Europe, and February 24th in North America. The Steam release date is February 27th, 2015. It uses some elements and characters from the now defunct Dragon Ball Online.

Using a time machine is ultimately a violation against the laws of the universe, so the Supreme Kai of Time sentenced Trunks into leading the Time Patrol - a group of warriors assembled to stop the Time Breaker (a group of demons in servitude of the demigod Demigra) and new threats named Mira and Towa from loving up time (which translates into visiting the iconic battles of the anime and giving ridiculous demon power-ups to the villains that results in them winning). Trunks summons Shenron and wishes for an ally to help him. Shenron grants his wish, and summons your Mary Sue character. This game is the ultimate playable self-insert fanfic. Only you can save the world of Dragon Ball.

The main feature of this game is Create-a-Character (CAC from now on) that allows you to be a Majin, Namek, Earthling, Saiyan, or one of Freeza's unnamed race and play both story and online co-op and versus modes. Fights can be up to 3v3, your character will level and have to distribute statistical points and can learn new moves from a mentor/apprentice system with 12 of the baddest dudes from DBZ. There are 46 playable characters with their various transformations. 24 different arenas with some destructible elements. 3 DLC packs planned already.
-----

Let's discuss the CAC. Here's the races:

Earthlings
Racial Characteristics: Ki Attack Operation
Humans/Earthlings have balanced stats for both offense and defense. Ki energy refills automatically over time and attack power rises when maxed.

Saiyans
Racial Characteristics: Combat Instinct
A warrior tribe that has low health, but high attack power. Overall attack power rises when health drops under 25%. If a Saiyan falls during battle and are revived by a teammate, all stats are raised. Males have stronger regular attacks, but buffs last longer and special skills are slightly weaker. Females have higher recovery rates for ki and stamina gauges, but have less health. As of this writing, this is the only race confirmed to have the ability to transform.

Majin
Racial Characteristics: Endurance
The Majin race has high defense, but slow stamina recovery. When stamina is maxed, less damage is received. Males have more health, but lower movement speed. Females have higher movement speed, but lower health.

Namekian
Racial Characteristics: Recovery
Have low attack power, but high health and stamina refills quickly. Items are more 1.5 times more effective than other races and when health drops under 70%, it is regenerated automatically.

Frieza Clan
Racial Characteristics: Interference
Have high speed, but low attack power. When health drops under 50%, speed increases. They can emit a special beam that paralyzes the opponent’s body and effect their actions.

After the race is selected, players can adjust the height of their character, further effecting characteristics. When increasing the height, their attack power is increased, but their movement speed is reduced. Conversely, when a character’s height is decreased, the movement speed is increased and their attack power is decreased.

There are 10 voices for each gender, Male #8 is Ghost Nappa from TFS' "Dragonball Z Abridged" series
All selectable CAC Super Attacks at this time
All Selectable CAC Ultimate Attacks at this time
Each race has unique outfits in addition to the hundreds of pieces available to everyone All costumes can be broken down into gloves, chest, pants, and boots pieces to mix & match.
In addition, you can equip Z Souls, which are passive items with effects like "when killed, revive with 25% Health", "Auto-guard attacks as long as you have full Health", "Do 25% more damage when you have full Ki", "Increase the damage of moves learned from Piccolo", etc.
You can equip items like Senzu Beans for healing in story mode and sidequest fights, but they are disabled in the 1v1 Ranked Matches online.

:siren: Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/HerculesHeroes :siren:

FAQ
Q.) Won't everyone be named Xxx_PotatoxXx_321?
A.) Names are not reserved. You can name your dude whatever you want. It will be visible, as will your gamertag/Steam ID/PSN, which will be used primarily to interact with others.

Q.) What does this play like?
A.) I'd say something in between Budokai and Tenkaichi. Dimps made the Budokai games, and this is their first attempt at a "truly" 3D DBZ game.

Q.) What is the combo system like?
A.) It's similar to Dynasty Warriors. There's a light attack, and a heavy attack, and you alternate between them in much the same way. However, the effects of each of those attacks will be different from character to character. Square, Square, Triangle might be a stun for Trunks but a knockback for Goku.

Q.) What is the CAC's fighting style?
A.) Each race and gender has their own fighting style and throws unique unto themselves.

Q.) What mentors are available?
A.) Goku, Piccolo, Krillin, Vegeta, Gohan/Videl, Ginyu, Frieza, 18, Cell, Hercule, Gotenks, Beerus

Q.) Is there any information on exactly what the differences between the last-gen (PS3/360) and current-gen (PS4/XB1/PC) are outside of graphical enhancements?
A.) No mechanical differences or extra characters or any of that.

Q.) How many Gokus can I make?
A.) There are 8 slots for CACs, and when you create a new one, you carry over any items you have already bought or unlocked.

Q.) How do I get more items?
A.) You can get items from Parallel Quests (side missions, also playable online with Co-Op), by fulfilling certain conditions during the fights. For ex - if you beat Goten & Trunks in less than 3:00, then they fuse into Gotenks. Beat them to unlock X. You can also buy things from a store in the hub city, and even "create" items using a very rudimentary crafting system.

Q.) Is this a babby mashing game?
A.) It has some depth to it. There are cross-ups, parries, wall bounces, and some other things you can sink your teeth into if you like fighting games.

Q.) What transformations/power-ups are available for CACs?
A.) Saiyans have access to SSJ 1 and 2. There are also alternative SSJ 1/2 that focus on boosting Ki more than Physical. Kaioken is available to every race.

Q.) Can I make multiple costumes for my Krillin/Freeza fusion guy?
A.) You can have 8+ costumes saved with different set-ups for Supers & Ultimates.

Q.) Can I change the way my dude looks after creating him / Is there a stat reset?
A.) You can! There are multiple wishes you can go for once you collect the Durgon Ballz. There's money, unlocking secret characters, unlocking frilly outfits, new moves, and you can reset your stats back to 0, etc.

Q.) Won't CAC just be superpowered by max level?
A.) No! You have 6 stats to allocate, and only 237 points at max level. Stat maximum is 100. No super-powered unfair dudes.

Q.) Well what the hell are the stats?
A.) Max Health, Max Ki, Stamina, Basic Attacks, Strike Supers, Ki Blast Supers

Q.) How many Kamehablawhatsits can I have at once?
A.) You get 4 Super attacks, and 2 Ultimate attacks. You also get to set 1 Evasive Skill.

Q.) How does Super Saiyan work?
A.) Super Saiyan 1 & 2 are available to CAC. SSJ 1 & 2 counts as an Ultimate. When SSJ, your Supers and Ultimates don't use Ki, but your Ki is heavily drained for the duration. Your stats are increased, with a lean towards physical attributes. There is an alternate SSJ 1 and 2 called simply "Super Vegeta / 2", which is the same, but with a lean towards Ki users. When your Ki empties, you revert form. Gotenks and Goku can also turn SSJ3.

Q.) Do other races have transformations?
A.) Other races (and Saiyan) can use Kaioken x1, x3, and x20. Kaioken counts as a Super. Each increase attributes, and "Speed", which is a sort of hidden attribute that can be boosted with some equipment and Z Souls. All of them drain Stamina while active. x20 gives you infinite Stamina for the duration, but heavily drains it as well.

Q.) How does the Mentor system work?
A.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7atfhxXKr-U

Q.) Is there a point to dress up besides looking fabulous?
A.) A lot of equipment have stat bonuses. Some have huge bonus, but also inherent malus.

Q.) How do I unlock more CAC slots?
A.) Beat story mode.

Q.) I can't get online! Help!
A.) Beat the Saiyan Saga, then restart the game. Select "Multi".

Q.) I'm getting wrecked, am I supposed to do parallel quests in between?
A.) Yes.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
MR. POPO'S TRYHARD DOJO

During normal movement, you will deflect basic Ki blasts

L2 + Left Stick will result in a Step. You can go forward, back, or to either side.

L2 + Holding a direction with the Left Stick will result in an Aura Dash. It uses Stamina.

At the end of an Aura Dash or Step, if you press Jump, you will perform a Vanish. It can be used defensively or offensively.

Your basic Ki Blast. If you hold the button, you will fire multiple. Some characters have the ability to use them while Jumping.

Blocking only works from the front, and you can be crossed-up, as seen here. Pressing an attack button or performing a Super or Ultimate will sloooowly turn your character to face them. Pressing block does not re-align. You can re-align very quickly by tapping a direction pad. Holding guard is not some invincible wall.

Your Evasive Skill is something like a combo breaker. You are invincible during it, but it has a heavy stamina cost. You can set different ones that range from just teleporting away, backdashing while firing ki shots, or more offensive-oriented ones like explosions with you at the epicenter.

If you tap guard right as an attack hits you, you will Perfect Guard it. It is a parry that restores Ki and leaves the opponent open.

If you tap guard when being hit or blocking, or while your opponent is being hit or blocking, you will vanish. Useful for avoiding strings or applying additional pressure. It's important to note the timing differences between this and Perfect Guard.

If you smell a Vanish or cross-up, you can press Away + Attack to perform a "back attack", attacking in the opposite direction. You can hold heavy attack to break guard or potentially bait a vanish and then punish with a back attack followed by something bigger.

Blocking drains stamina. If all your stamina is drained, you are guard broken. Your stamina will refill, but until it is full again, you cannot block.

Certain strings be Jump or Step cancelled. This basically means if you do either of those actions during a precise time in the attack string, you can continue the combo.

You can Ki Cancel strings as well. This tends to make your strings safer. You can back off if things are looking sour, or use it as a bait.

You can continue combos after wallslams.

Super & Ultimate attacks have different properties, even the seemingly similar beam attacks. For example, Super Kamehameha reduces an opponent's Ki. Special Beam Cannon is unblockable (but easily dodged, and not the greatest damage). There are physical and ranged special attacks, and buffs like Kaioken, Ginyu Poses, and others. You can even learn the "technique" that Piccolo did to throw himself in between Gohan and Nappa (to potentially save a teammate from death), or punch yourself in the chest to damage yourself before using Ginyu's Body Swap technique.

E: More to come, keep your eyes on this post.

Infinite Combos Goons Have Found-

The Muffinlord:
If you're a ladybuu, your infinite is LLLLLHHH, but you'll have to be at ceiling level to do it reliably. I maxed out at 137 hits on one mission beating Piccolo into tar today. My wrist hurt after that.

Mechafunkzilla writes:
Female Earthlings have an easy infinite, it turns out -- their PKK/PPKK/PPPKK/PPPPKK chains all combo into themselves. You can also set it up with pretty much any other combo + dash cancel. To make matters worse it's a juggle, which means the target can't even Vanish out of it -- they have to blow three stamina bars on an Evasive Skill. And if you've got anti-flinch up and their Evasive is something like Spirit Explosion that doesn't physically move them, there's literally nothing they can do to not die once the combo starts.

Half of Dracula writes:
Freezadudes have one that you barely have to dash follow. I think it's weak x3, strong x2?

Kild writes:
Freiza's can 'infinite' in the air with light light light heavy heavy into light light light heavy heavy.

Theta Zero posted:

This is using male Earthlings and an Xbox controller, so replaced "X" and "Y" with "light" and "strong," or "punch" and "kick," respectively, if you're using a keyboard or some other controller.

You can chain all of these into each other by guard canceling if you feel flashy, although some require tighter timing. Each one of these end with a launch and then a "teleport" to where the enemy will go. Just guard cancel at the end of the teleport and you can use any one of them immediately afterwards.

X-X-X-X-X-Y-Y-Y-(guard) [guard cancel before the last hit to chain]
Y-X-Y-X-Y(guard) [guard cancel before last hit to chain]
Y-X-X-X-(guard) [you launch the enemy and teleport twice, guard cancel on the second teleport; you can charge the Y in this infinite]
X[while boosting]-X-X-X-(guard) [functions identially to above but can be boosted into]

If you're fast enough, you can also grapple an enemy and chain them into an infinite by following up with the last infinite listed, just boost attack them while they're sliding on the ground.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 13, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm making a vegeta but he has red hair, like me

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
What are the impressions of this game?

The create a character looks like it could lead to some hilarious creations

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I was completely uninterested in this game, but now actually reading about the premise and the fact you create a character and dress them up, I am 100% sold.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I really love that your character's backstory is "Trunks wished for the most badass super powerful warrior ever who could beat up every single dragon ball villain even if they were EXTRA strong from EVIL MAGIC". It is the best backstory possible.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Game is gonna own

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

anybody know if we can expect a novelization?

old man on a horse
Dec 27, 2014

I don't waste my magic on just anything
I was into this game before it was cool

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
There's gonna be like a hundred thousand Ghost Nappas and Weedlord Gokus by day one and I will grade all of them harshly. :colbert: I can't wait for the Goon World Tournament where we can all pit our abominations against each other.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Firstborn posted:

Mr. Popo's Tryhard Dojo

Please link images to 360 controller AKA the controller used for the best version of Xenoverse.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is anyone at all going to use a voice other than Male Voice 8?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Please link images to 360 controller AKA the controller used for the best version of Xenoverse.
AKA the PC version.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
At long last, we can all bring our fanfics from decades ago to life.

Like Kami intended. :goku:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I'll just post the steam group now, I guess.

Testekill posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/HerculesHeroes

Here's the steam group for anyone that's interested. Just ask anyone in the group to send you an invite.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

AKA the PC version.

I already said that but thanks

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Captain Oblivious posted:

At long last, we can all bring our fanfics from decades ago to life.

Like Kami intended. :goku:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctgvXIdLz04

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

this is a fighting game right? i haven't been following it

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's a fighting game with some MMO elements.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Jesus there's parries and crossups? I actually didn't know that and I've been following this game forever

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like calling a game in the dragonball franchise a "fighting game" is severely undervaluing the rich lore inherent in the series. This isn't your daddy's street fighter is what I'm saying!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Blockhouse posted:

Jesus there's parries and crossups? I actually didn't know that and I've been following this game forever

Yeah, the fighting mechanics are actually pretty solid.

\/\/\/ You may. It's a different game than BoZ. You don't need to co-op anything. You can just play 1v1 fightmans online in Ranked/Player match, or enjoy the story. There's a lot of content.
In fact, you can "hire" CAC guys that the developers made as sort of mercenaries and have them do the content with you if you prefer (or don't have online). The hub world and still is still available offline in a very Phantasy Star Online sort of way.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 19, 2015

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I liked Battle of Z but some of the later fights got to be too hard because of the insistence of online co-op.

Will I like this?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Real hurthling! posted:

this is a fighting game right? i haven't been following it

Fighting game with RPG elements and a Phantasy Star Online style multiplayer hub, I think is the best summary I can come up with?

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't be mentored by Roshi, how will my self-insert fan-fiction ever come to life now? :saddowns:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ok cool. gonna buy it and make goku with tiny krillen legs.

have a good day

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I like this emote.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Harlock posted:

I liked Battle of Z but some of the later fights got to be too hard because of the insistence of online co-op.

Will I like this?

from what I've seen everything is soloable and there's items to use mid-battle if you want to scrub it out (I dunno if Battle of Z had that)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Harlock posted:

Will I like this?

You can play it alone, with friends or AI of everyone you can punch in the face.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Themage posted:

Can't be mentored by Roshi, how will my self-insert fan-fiction ever come to life now? :saddowns:

You can still equip his turtle shell, beard, and sunglasses.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So, any idea which Dragonball game series this plays like? Is it like the Budokai ones on PS2 or more like the traditional style fighters on SNES / PS1? Or something else entirely...?!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Can you make a billion characters just to sit around for vs mode?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

raditts posted:

So, any idea which Dragonball game series this plays like? Is it like the Budokai ones on PS2 or more like the traditional style fighters on SNES / PS1? Or something else entirely...?!

it's a little bit of everything, really.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

raditts posted:

Well, it's made by Dimps, who made the Budokai games. Spike made the Tenkaichi games.

However, it's also Dimps' first "truly 3d" DBZ game. I'd say it's in between Budokai and Tenkaichi. The attack strings will remind you more of Dynasty Warriors than Street Fighter. Square, Square, Square, Triangle is a combo for everyone... but for Trunks that may be a stun, for Goku it'd be a knockback; that sort of thing.

mango sentinel posted:

Can you make a billion characters just to sit around for vs mode?

There are 8 CAC slots. When you make a new CAC, you share any money or items you have already unlocked. No need to re-do everything because you want to be a Freeza-Man instead.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Is there any information on exactly what the differences between the last-gen (PS3/360) and current-gen (PS4/XB1/PC) are outside of graphical enhancements?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Correnth posted:

Is there any information on exactly what the differences between the last-gen (PS3/360) and current-gen (PS4/XB1/PC) are outside of graphical enhancements?

No mechanical differences.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Yeah I am pretty hyped for this silly rear end game. Finally you can have Special beam cannon and Kamehameha on the same dude called Gokulo or perhaps Pikkolu.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Correnth posted:

It's probably just going to be prettier graphics on the higher end machines and mods on the PC.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's really no reason not to get the PC version, what with mods and steam integration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

Yeah I am pretty hyped for this silly rear end game. Finally you can have Special beam cannon and Kamehameha on the same dude called Gokulo or perhaps Pikkolu.

But here's the question: Is it more important that he can go super saiyan or that he can regrow limbs like a boss?

• Locked thread