Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
the greatest stories live and die by word of mouth. we're basically the aboriginals of the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I wish there was a decent SA Wiki. The SAclopedia isn't very informative.

From what I've read of it, barely any of the entries are from the last few years.

youre wife
Dec 25, 2014

by Ralp
So it's when a hell banned user bumps a thread? What's a hell ban?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Stoic Commie posted:

the greatest stories live and die by word of mouth. we're basically the aboriginals of the internet

We need a designated "Keeper of the tales".

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Hadaka Apron posted:

From what I've read of it, barely any of the entries are from the last few years.

My impression is the fact that it's on site discourages people from sharing.

edit:
look how pathetic Aatrek's entry is:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2472

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 19, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

The only thing I really remember from Helldump was Kuuenbu's legendary radio meltdown.

youre wife posted:

So it's when a hell banned user bumps a thread? What's a hell ban?

Helldump was a subforum. Hellbans are when your posts can only be seen by mods and admins, no one else.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
V2 b1tch

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

youre wife posted:

Is a hell dump like an Lf?

"things that won't be brought back" for 600

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

quick guys tell me the best shotgun to use to protect my punkins

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Helldump, one of the funniest forums ever on the internet, was eliminated but we still have an anime forum and a professional murderer safespace hugbox forum. .

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

City of Tampa posted:

Helldump, one of the funniest forums ever on the internet, was eliminated but we still have an anime forum and a professional murderer safespace hugbox forum. .

Two if you count both TFR and GiP. :eng101:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

david carmichael posted:

that was fyad, and typeppar

that guy had posted in fyad for years, and they made fun of him casually for editing wikipedia (and other stuff), and then docevil long did that "make dumb wikipedia changes and tell only me" contest, and then typeppar killed himself several months later, and fyad made the story "killed himself over wikipedia edit contest" because that is funnier and easier to deal with than "guy with long suffering depression". abe was actually friends with typeppar if not irl then at least in regular contact with him internetwise, and he at first tried to have people confront what happened openly and honestly, and then rolled over to "what an idiot killed himself over wikipedia"

AFF trolling a kid to death over wikipedia is a better story though

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the purpose of helldump was to create a societal forums structure where emphathy, effort, humor and even the mere act of posting itself were grounds for ostracization. it worked this way to cater to the internet equivalent of a neighborhood watch consisting entirely of insane angry virgins with nothing better to do than police others online 24/7. over time it was proven to be popular enough to be split into its own website and it exists to this day, somewhere in the depths of the web. spooky

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
in other words, a level beyond ssjw

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pet Island brutally + insanely murdered a chicken with a radiator

Doobie might kill himself when his hot dog shack collapses and if goons hadn't funded it he probably would've just been sad for a while then moved on

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I really don't know that much about Helldump, but guess who was a really big fan?

https://archive.today/Qb96g

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Kimmalah posted:

Two if you count both TFR and GiP. :eng101:

Yeah but TFR is just like 10-12 guys fellating each other in endless 500-page megathreads. I like shooting and own two guns, but I'm not reading that poo poo.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Pet Island brutally + insanely murdered a chicken with a radiator

details?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

I think it's safe to say that since no one remembers this, there was now suicide caused by Helldump. or everyone who knew of it died under mysterious circomstances

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

former Pet Island mod decided that since it was winter, her pet bird might get cold overnight, so she put a giant space radiator directly underneath its cage and cooked it instead. It did not get cold overnight

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
they love for animal, so pure, so innocent

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Why does the Helldump suicide and TFR murders keep coming up but no one ever talks about the TCC serial rapes?

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

Why does the Helldump suicide and TFR murders keep coming up but no one ever talks about the TCC serial rapes?

were these joose induced rapes?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

former Pet Island mod decided that since it was winter, her pet bird might get cold overnight, so she put a giant space radiator directly underneath its cage and cooked it instead. It did not get cold overnight

the bird kept imitating her farts so it was probably a mercy killing

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
fuckin boniface writing an article on gawker and poo poo about how, really, he was the victim all along

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Hobohemian posted:

We need a designated "Keeper of the tales".

thta's me

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I'm Crap posted:

fuckin boniface writing an article on gawker and poo poo about how, really, he was the victim all along

he wrote an article denying that his wife hit him in the head with mug while he was AIMing with potato couch and yet: his wife hit him in the head with a mug while he was AIMing with potatocouch

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
helldump was closed when it was discovered that popular car forum poster guy was a nazi. and the admins decided that the guy was too good at talking about cars to be made fun of for being a nazi, so they closed helldump instead. it was good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

david carmichael posted:

helldump was closed when it was discovered that popular car forum poster guy was a nazi. and the admins decided that the guy was too good at talking about cars to be made fun of for being a nazi, so they closed helldump instead. it was good.
Nazis made good cars. Maybe they thought he would improve the quality of posting, significantly.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Some one make me an SAclopedia entry. It's not like that poo poo dump section of the site is read by anyone anyway.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

you have to battle Y-Hat for the title

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

loving lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Windows 98 posted:

Some one make me an SAclopedia entry. It's not like that poo poo dump section of the site is read by anyone anyway.

no

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Stoic Commie posted:

this is interesting considering we're an entirely text based community, stored in an archive

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Jokes on you now I am making one for you

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

imho you should have hit yourself with that shovel and never stopped

mgrif
Jun 27, 2005

Bunnee is delightful and haunts my dreams.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3596417

This gassed thread has a rundown of goon deaths. I don't have enough time to go through it to find out if helldump was involved in any of them

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mgrif posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3596417

This gassed thread has a rundown of goon deaths. I don't have enough time to go through it to find out if helldump was involved in any of them

lmao

Accretionist posted:

Mainstream media even reported on Caro.

Article: NPR celebrates crazy forum troll’s decision to practice unlicensed medicine in Libya
Sub-Header: A young man with a history of paranoid writings and no combat or medical experience gets an uncritical interview

quote:

NPR’s “Morning Edition” profiles Kevin Dawes, a brave young American who went to Libya as a medical aid worker last summer, but who ended up taking up arms against pro-Gadhafi forces. It’s an inspiring tale of one man’s courage, and also one man’s possible mental illness. Because as numerous NPR commenters have pointed out, Dawes isn’t a “medical aid worker,” he’s an unbalanced Internet forum troll who taught himself rudimentary medicine on YouTube.

Michael Woodward comments, below the story:

quote:

Kevin Dawes was not a “medical aide worker” he is a self styled medic who taught himself the “skills” through youtube. He has no firearms training and is suffering severely from delusional and paranoid behavior. He is a danger to himself and others. In other stories about him, it is said even that battle hardened rebels are afraid of him and think he is crazy. This story is not researched and needs to be fact checked. I am sure that if you do search for some of his old screen names (try Caro)you will find some of his postings. Also, check out his blog and youtube channel- you will find he is not what this article portrays him to be.

Dawes has been repeatedly permanently banned from the rowdy Internet forum Something Awful for being not just a troll, but a troll widely assumed to be suffering from a possible severe personality disorder due to his insistence that he was the victim of a far-reaching conspiracy involving the San Diego police acting in league with forum moderators. (Upon one banning, moderators advised him, “seek professional psychiatric help and get back on meds!”)

The whole thing's hilarious depending on how you feel with it resulting in his death.

rip you crazy idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery

youre wife posted:

Is a hell dump like an Lf?

no. helldump was great and not gay at all. so nothing like lf

• Locked thread