Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
being the best photo editing software is more of a sign of the poor state of image editors oiver the board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

geez who are the font wizards that came up with this one
according to wikipedia it's François-Ambroise Didot (1730–1804)

typographic conventions predate pixels

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
LAME

just like digital cameras we had the chance to do things fresh and throw all that knowledge and wisdom out the window
but we didn.t

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

pagancow posted:

use gimp since it will be more needs suiting

GIMP is officially endorsed by pagancow

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

echinopsis posted:

LAME

just like digital cameras we had the chance to do things fresh and throw all that knowledge and wisdom out the window
but we didn.t

define your method and ideas for typographic measurements

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you ever learn any actual design the units used in print like point and pica, etc. are actually good and represent useful increments

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

qirex posted:

if you ever learn any actual design the units used in print like point and pica, etc. are actually good and represent useful increments

doesnt matter for photoshop as nobody has ever used computer to do anything useful

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

define your method and ideas for typographic measurements

i work witj images that are in pixels. if you use pixels then you are using the same measurement that you are working on. my things will never become print. they will forever be digital and pixel based

my issue isnt with the methods though, its simply that i cant work out how to slide text size in photoshop and that line spacing isnt a relative percent (that can also be slid)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

GIMP is officially endorsed by pagancow

im glad that pagancow finally came around to VLC. VLC, pagancow approved. You heard it here, folks.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Last Chance posted:

oh so you're telling me it's a piece of poo poo. got it.

Lightroom users asked for a way to edit their pictures when they weren't at their main workstation like an LTE connected iPad. They gave them that functionality.

It is not a piece of poo poo, its how paying lightroom users use the feature. just because someone mistakenly used it for backup now makes the feature a piece of poo poo?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hey guys did you hear of this PHOTOSHOP program? its a COMPLETE PIECE OF poo poo those STUPID DEVELOPERS didn't know how to program a thing

oh why am I angry about software?

their text tool doesn't make pickup truck stencils GOD WHY CANT IT JUST READ MY MIND?!?!

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

echinopsis posted:

i work witj images that are in pixels. if you use pixels then you are using the same measurement that you are working on. my things will never become print. they will forever be digital and pixel based

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

qirex posted:

i don't know anything about actual design and 1/72" increments are really weird.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

well, we could be measuring with 1/2660 th/s of a meter,

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i'm enough used to font sizes in pts and how the pixel fonts i have work that idk if actually using px measurements is working out here

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
hmm ok, so how many beard seconds are in a point?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

madeupfred posted:

What Does This Mean

lol

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
millimetres is a good unit :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yes i use those settings. yet fonts are still points per inch or cm whatever

i dont care about that poo poo. i want to slide up to arbitrarily high values. there is no excuse not to

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

PSD has pixel limitations of 30,000x30,000

good thing there's PSB :getin:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pagancow posted:

Lightroom users asked for a way to edit their pictures when they weren't at their main workstation like an LTE connected iPad. They gave them that functionality.

It is not a piece of poo poo, its how paying lightroom users use the feature. just because someone mistakenly used it for backup now makes the feature a piece of poo poo?

lightroom would be much more useful if it had collaborative features and a sync that makes sense and doesn't erase photos. theres this thing called the cloud that adobe is still trying to work out apparently

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

echinopsis posted:

given what the programs are and that they are made by same people and etc it absolutely expected that this would be the case, this is the minimum expected from this workflow

is having live-updated photoshop/after effects projects something that other NLE's like Media Composer can do? i guess maybe Photoshop files they could do but AE?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Last Chance posted:

lightroom would be much more useful if it had collaborative features and a sync that makes sense and doesn't erase photos. theres this thing called the cloud that adobe is still trying to work out apparently

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&loc=en

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

univbee posted:

is having live-updated photoshop/after effects projects something that other NLE's like Media Composer can do?

nope.aep

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 397 days!

pagancow posted:

hey guys did you hear of this PHOTOSHOP program? its a COMPLETE PIECE OF poo poo those STUPID DEVELOPERS didn't know how to program a thing

their text tool doesn't make pickup truck stencils GOD WHY CANT IT JUST READ MY MIND?!?!

AUGH i went and paid good money for this wrench and it still can't fix my car!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

lol PS isnt a peice of poo poo, its just it's glaring lack of reaching its potential smacks you in your face almost every single time you use it

and poo poo like, when you're using the crop tool and you have it so it darkens the unselected area, it updates like in the space of seconds. on a modern pc this is fuckin inexcusable.

"huh PS is the best"

tired, man. we know its the BEST. its also NOT AS GREAT AS WE KNOW IT COULD BE becasue we have all used software that in their area are substantially better pieces of software.

its like, imagine there was no iphone. ipads existed. and the only phones were andriod. saying then that andriod is the besat phone os is a pointless point to make. we know what its like to have superior software. PS is not that

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah im not filling out a. form in order to tell adobe how the internet works

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lets do a recap on the Last Chance Adobe story

1. adobe is piss trash garbage for idiots
  2. i feel this way because adobe lightroom cloud sync doesn't work like dropbox even though they have stated how it actually works in multiple videos and articles
  3. wont write adobe feedback on how lightroom cloud sync should work
  4. posts in yospos

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
last chance is mentally I'll and afflicted with fail disease

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

is that true if everybody with the inability to complain to the right people to get what you want done?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I've had Adobe fix about 5 premiere bugs and add two features for me by just using the form.

Adobe engineers at NAB were like oh that was you when I talked to them in person and let me join beta.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pagancow posted:

I've had Adobe fix about 5 premiere bugs and add two features for me by just using the form.

Adobe engineers at NAB were like oh that was you when I talked to them in person and let me join beta.

shit_that_didnt_happen.txt

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol this is how i get my features implemented to do my job and go home at 5

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yes lets bitch in the yospos thread about how adobo sucks why am i crunching at work all the time waaaaaaaa?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
only tech "workers" would think going home at 5 is some sort of amazing triumph that would shock and awe their peers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

is that true if everybody with the inability to complain to the right people to get what you want done?

becajuse im not talking about bugs or extra features, im talking about UI bullshit that has existed from day 1 and they ARENT going to change that poo poo, because their core business relies on the old person attitude that change is bad

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
https://vimeo.com/110079576

this owns

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Elder Postsman posted:

geez who are the font wizards that came up with this one
probably shaggar

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

pagancow posted:

here's hoping

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
the reason i did that for acrobat and not flash is because flash is full of so many bugs they have to use a separate site for it :xd:

• Locked thread