Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Paiechekqueue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Does income level matter with dependents? Like does bill gates get a tax break for his kids? Cause if he does that's really dumb, the people with kids should have to pay more in taxes if anything, bigger burden on infrastructure. If only poor people get tax breaks for kids though that's fine.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

scorpiobean posted:

perhaps i should ask in money subforum but what is best online tax program to use? i was gonna go turbotax but i read something about how they've had a whole bunch of fraud happening this year

i just used the free version of H&R block on their website since I only had my regular income + 401k + $5 donated to wikipedia lol. Worked fine. 10 bux to file state return. all efile. Federal return already accepted.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chinatown posted:

i just used the free version of H&R block on their website since I only had my regular income + 401k + $5 donated to wikipedia lol. Worked fine. 10 bux to file state return. all efile. Federal return already accepted.

same

except for wikipedia donation, gently caress jimmy wiki

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I've been using H&R free one since I was 19 or so and it's easy to use and I've pretty much always had my return accepted nearly immediately.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I had a stock ownership thing payout this year so I'm gonna owe like a billion dollars and it's gonna ssssuuuuckkk

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
my e file is always accepted instantly because I usually owe them a bunch of money I didn't pay in quarterlies

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

for the past three years ive used h&r block online to file taxes and use the free option where they take out a small fee from the return itself

jokes on them because the return is always intercepted by the federal gubmint cause of defaulted student loans... one of these days maybe u will get my money h&r block

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
$117 because I took the correct amount of exemptions for my income instead of just writing whatever on my W-4

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
also direct deposit is the poo poo because i forget about my return and then check my balance a week or two later and I have a bunch more money and my day is made

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Chinatown posted:

ArbitraryC posted:

I've been using H&R free one since I was 19 or so and it's easy to use and I've pretty much always had my return accepted nearly immediately.

Cool I'll just do that one. I'm a poor single grad student so it should be pretty straightforward

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

scorpiobean posted:

Cool I'll just do that one. I'm a poor single grad student so it should be pretty straightforward
Can confirm as someone who spent several years as a poor single grad student that it takes less than an hour to crank out and you're so poor there's no incentive to audit you.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I live on the moon and don't pay Earth taxes, eat poo poo taxhavers

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I get over $5000 from federal and state, so I will just use it to make my Roth IRA contributions. I need to adjust my federal exemptions so that I don't get such a big return, but I am fairly new in my career and got married midway through last tax year, then got a better job. My wife is a full time student and went from out of state to in state tuition, so our deductions and credits changed. It was a little hard figuring out how many exemptions I needed to get the withholdings right.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
probably gonna owe like 6K overall but i haven't checked yet

Big Beef City posted:

I had a stock ownership thing payout this year so I'm gonna owe like a billion dollars and it's gonna ssssuuuuckkk

yep

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
I'm getting just under $3000 back and it's all going to paying off student loans.

Captain Knots
Jun 29, 2012

Poorly written by Billy, age 8.
I thought you goons would have more of an entrepreneurial bent... where all the depressed people filing 1099s at?? I will owe ~4k this year. Did prepare and save for it along the way, but still sucks. My partner, who is also self-employed, will owe around 20k. $20,000. 20 kilograms of sorrow. America hates small business, and does not want you to do it yourself.

If I sound bitter, it's because I'm drunk.

Twat Nosferatu
Aug 14, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

Capital gains blows the biggest of chunks.

For content: Maybe 650 and lucky to get that, single no kids.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Neil McCauley posted:

Capital gains blows the biggest of chunks.

oh no i have to pay 15% of my stock profits to the government, how will i clothe myself or eat with my stock profits

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Captain Knots posted:

I thought you goons would have more of an entrepreneurial bent... where all the depressed people filing 1099s at?? I will owe ~4k this year. Did prepare and save for it along the way, but still sucks. My partner, who is also self-employed, will owe around 20k. $20,000. 20 kilograms of sorrow. America hates small business, and does not want you to do it yourself.

If I sound bitter, it's because I'm drunk.
Pay your taxes correctly and you won't owe so much idiot lol. Don't blame the govt.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My wife and I combined are getting around $1k back, which we'll probably put towards something for the house. Maybe stick it in the "New Windows" fund.

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004
I'm gonna use my tax refund to buy a star. I'LL OWN IT. Feel free to visit.

e: Which makes me wonder... what if some alien adopted/bought our star? It might have a name and we probably owe them rent. gently caress.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
I paid $5,000 last year so paying less than that would be nice. Paid taxes on my freelance stuff and my two real jobs didn't take enough out of me. :smithicide:

Single + no kids = gently caress you lol

Rand McNally fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 21, 2015

Captain Knots
Jun 29, 2012

Poorly written by Billy, age 8.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Pay your taxes correctly and you won't owe so much idiot lol. Don't blame the govt.

You are adorable and have no idea what you're talking about. lol.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cannon_Fodder posted:

2.8k. Dear sweet baby jesus, do I want a 3d printer.

This is worse than the people blowing it all on pot and lottery tickets.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
$2,505. Single and no kids but a decent-paying job. No idea what I'm gonna do with it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MeatwadIsGod posted:

$2,505. Single and no kids but a decent-paying job. No idea what I'm gonna do with it.

Adjust your witholding so you have more money the rest of the year?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

FuturePastNow posted:

Adjust your witholding so you have more money the rest of the year?

Honestly, I don't see the need right now. I have about $11k in savings and another $15k in retirement funds.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Just got my CA return direct deposited (6 days!)

Where is my loving FEDERAL RETURN OBAMA.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
lol my return was $300 . how many kids are you nerds having to get into the thousands?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Honestly, I don't see the need right now. I have about $11k in savings and another $15k in retirement funds.

lol

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

1gnoirents posted:

lol my return was $300 . how many kids are you nerds having to get into the thousands?

Zero.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I got about $2200 back earlier this month. My car crapped out on me, again, and instead of paying to fix it, again, I finally bit the bullet and bought a new car. That's where all of my money went.

Also, I have zero kids. I should change my exemptions on my w4, but it's not like it'd be gaining any interest in the bank, and I'd be more likely to blow it on stupid poo poo if it was just added on to each paycheck.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
We are getting back about $9100, even filling out the worksheet exactly as directed and ended up with std. Deduction this year. And so continues the yo-yo back and forth every year.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i got a thousand bucks back on my return

this is a pretty small portion of the amount of money i make so i feel like i did alright though i would have preferred to owe money

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i get nothing back because my taxes are dialed in where i get maximum dosh without being owed or having to pay.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Some illegal filed and got his tax reuturn back before I filed so I had to wait 8 months to sort that poo poo out. Good luck getting it this year dude :twisted:
Part of living in a border state I suppose.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
also just filed my return today, will get some money back, put in roth IRA/against student loans/into bank.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
got $2k back about a week ago. paid off my car, gonna buy a new bed for the first time in my life soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BIG BOY EXPO 2K posted:

got $2k back about a week ago. paid off my car, gonna buy a new bed for the first time in my life soon

Buying a new bed is one of the best things in life.

Rich people probably buy new beds every week, it's that good.

• Locked thread