Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

i tried out shards of dalaya and it was a p good emulated eq server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

satanic splash-back posted:

i played a homeless beggar and asked people for spare change

it was so effective i tried my hand at it in real life

I used to love giving beggars a platinum coin but split into copper so it weighed about 500 pounds. It would lower their move speed to absolutely nothing. You'd see level one characters heading towards a bank at a glaciers pace because they didn't want to give up the money.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

nomadologique posted:

"artifact"
"what artifact?"
"which artifact?"
"what artifact do you want?"
"i have the artifact"
"do you need an artifact?"
"where is the artifact?"

Also this.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the best npc keyword was on that dude in... veeshans peak i think. phat lootz would make him flip out and kill raids. i never got my vp key but i like to think of guilds trolling each other with that. The guild drama in a game of zero instances was amazing

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I liked that this game did not keep you waiting to show you how lovely it was. Started as ogre or troll because - one of the few points in this game's favor - it's refreshing to have character options for GREAT BIG UGLY FATASS MOTHERFUCKER - when you get tired of wearing armor that looks like cowshit, GUESS WHAT, your basic plate armor (large bronze) has to be camped, one piece at a time, enjoy!

This is one of the only video games that I actually hate super bad. It went way beyond "huh, this isn't very fun" it was an intense, almost physical revulsion at just about everything going on in it because essentially every goddamn thing was designed to be as unfun and repetitive and lovely as possible. Playing a warrior and not being able to tie your own loving shoes, being literally totally dependent on just about every other class in order to do pretty much any goddamn thing, was the best :iamafag:

Then there was the Abashi dude basically telling people "you guys are a bunch of slack jawed faggots, this stuff will turn you into a sexual trannosaur!" except he was a fat nerd instead of a gorgeous musclebound commando.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Flesh Forge posted:

Playing a warrior and not being able to tie your own loving shoes, being literally totally dependent on just about every other class in order to do pretty much any goddamn thing, was the best :iamafag:

Yeah it actually made you have to make friends so they would invite you into groups and you could share the experience. What a bummer.

I always played MMOs with IRL friends but I can think of hundreds of awesome EQ stories with them cause of the set up but, with WOW, I can barely think of ten.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yo I used to kill kobolds in crushbone for days at a time.

Also, Chrome autocorrects kobolds to cuckolds

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Stealthgerbil posted:

i tried out shards of dalaya and it was a p good emulated eq server

this game was really really fun, because it entirely upended the world map and blah blah, you could level way faster and duo with yourself

i played it for a few weeks and stopped for some reason or other, i can't remember, but i really enjoyed what i played

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Yeah it actually made you have to make friends so they would invite you into groups and you could share the experience. What a bummer.

yeah you actually had to team with people who had literal total control over whether or not you survived, regardless of what you personally did or how well you played, so if your friends sucked you were kinda hosed, since you were absolutely helpless without them

by contrast, they didn't really need you all that bad though and you were easy to replace if you got butthurt over being left to die one too many times

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Yo I used to kill kobolds in crushbone for days at a time.

Also, Chrome autocorrects kobolds to cuckolds

UGH
they're ORCS
PUHlease!

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

I'm the bearded dwarf with the eyepatch.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

lol, my bro's character is a bearded dwarf with an eyepatch, sup

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

nomadologique posted:

UGH
they're ORCS
PUHlease!

You sure? I seem to remember killing some cuckolds in crushbone.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mad when the luclin models came out because it CHANGED YOUR OLD MODEL'S FACE

wtf??

so people who wanted to use the old models ended up with a different face than they had before (or at least i did)

man that pissed me off

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

You dudes excited for EQ Landmark and next :cool:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

You sure? I seem to remember killing some cuckolds in crushbone.

well ya dvinn was loving king crush's wife on the side, the reason that one gnome was down in the pit all locked up was because he wouldn't stop telling everybody about it

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I'd played this text based MUD called Dragonrealms a lot before getting into EQ, so that game holds most of my wonderful early memories, but EQ still holds many.

Like others have said, there not being instances had an enormous effect on making the world seem like a real place, along with the size (at least before they added the Plane of Knowledge that made travel pointless). I think I was only around for the first 2 or 3 expansions and never got very high level or anything with my monk. I remember always wanting a Fishbone Earring so I could sit cross legged at the bottom of the pond near the Monk's guild in Qeynos and just be really zen.

There was a lot of mysterious lore in EQ--stuff like that DE ambassador hanging out in Crushbone, implying some sort of treaty between them that maybe got referenced in some random quest, but the details of which most people wouldn't be aware.

Or the Oracle and his quest which was never completely implemented, as far as I know.

Or the two weird sphinxes in that one zone that seemed like named NPCs but had no quests as far as I knew.

Or the weird, almost always empty zones, like the Gorge of King Xorb or Lake Rathe or Arena, Runny Eye with its goblin bank that you could use if you fought your way there, the mysterious vampire lord Mayong Mistmoore who I'd heard rumors about being played by the main EQ guy in Beta, but as far as I know, never showed up in the actual game, the one firepot in every city that if you clicked on it said they were locked and you didn't have the right key--and how this ended up being an actual thing, linked to this bizarre chamber underwater in the middle of the ocean, where sometimes a dragon spawned, but if not, you could click on different firepots and be transported to their matching pot in the different cities of the world.

The size and scope of the game was fantastic, as others have mentioned--going from Freeport to Qeynos was a dangerous journey. When I played, teleports and resurrections weren't very common, so when you got one, it was a really awesome experience. And waiting for a boat was such a mundane activity, but it meant you could chat with the other travelers waiting and then talk to them as the boat sailed past islands with monsters that glared at you. I know I was always terrified of somehow aggroing one of those things and ending up with my corpse at the bottom of the ocean. In fact, the thought of falling off that boat somewhere in the Ocean of Tears still makes me a little scared.

And all the random named NPCs just hanging out all over the world in weird places--probably quest givers or receivers, but the faction system made things really strange too, like, if you killed this one person, the Council of Scale disapproved. Or how you could improve your faction through weird exploits--like hiding or being invisible and turning in quest objects to someone that would normally KOS you until you raised it enough.

I remember the Katta place and some odd named fish that swam around it took me forever to kill, because I wanted my monk to have a fishing pole he could use as a weapon since I thought it looked cool. And having the drat fish despawn when it started running away so many times.

And speaking of fish, the bizarre quest where if you kill a fish in the middle of this random lake, you become KOS to an entire city because the fish was actually a transformed princess or something?

I know it's all mostly youth and memories of having the free time to plunge into it, but they are really good memories. I think it'd be fun to pick it up sometime and cheat or whatever to be high level enough to just explore all the zones that were too dangerous for me in old school EQ--I remember having to skirt through Lesser Faydark as a lowbie and seeing my friend's corpse right along the path, and it being a sobering reminder of how dangerous some of those places were.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah you actually had to team with people who had literal total control over whether or not you survived, regardless of what you personally did or how well you played, so if your friends sucked you were kinda hosed, since you were absolutely helpless without them

by contrast, they didn't really need you all that bad though and you were easy to replace if you got butthurt over being left to die one too many times

Well, that depends. A good tank that keeps aggro off the casters/dps will be asked to join more parties. Also, since people have to group all the time people will be like " Oh yeah Flesh Forge is a good tank grab him" "I am starting a group and Flesh Forge is on, i'll see if he wants in".

idk dude i never had issues with any of my characters getting groups. Also thats why you had an alt, to play another character while waiting for your buds to get on.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I like how if you were riding a boat and your mom made a phone call you lagged off the boat and lost everything you owned forever.

Good times.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Ignite Memories posted:

I like how if you were riding a boat and your mom made a phone call you lagged off the boat and lost everything you owned forever.

Good times.

or you could get a level 5 bard to help you locate it or something.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Ignite Memories posted:

Good times.

I liked that you could just jump off the boat and swim in the ocean forever.

Also, monks were the best class hands down they had safe fall and feign death. Enchanters were cool too.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

becoming a known quantity in dungeon zones like sebilis was rad, and forming groups was even more rad, i always felt like such a total badass putting together a crack squad of motherfuckers and calling a camp and watching that machine chug along for hours at a time, swapping in new components when others had to go do some irl bullshit

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

I liked that you could just jump off the boat and swim in the ocean forever.

originally you would get exhausted and get slower and slower until you sank and drowned

:(

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

or you could get a level 5 bard to help you locate it or something.

Why yes, as a level 5 bard I would LOVE to swim around in the shark-infested ocean with you for an indeterminate amount of time. Oh wait, no I wouldn't.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

nomadologique posted:

becoming a known quantity in dungeon zones like sebilis was rad, and forming groups was even more rad, i always felt like such a total badass putting together a crack squad of motherfuckers and calling a camp and watching that machine chug along for hours at a time, swapping in new components when others had to go do some irl bullshit

or when some big wig friend of yours logged on and asked you if you wanted to do a bigger bad rear end camp and you had to be like "oh hey i gotta go"

suck it nerds.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Ignite Memories posted:

Why yes, as a level 5 bard I would LOVE to swim around in the shark-infested ocean with you for an indeterminate amount of time. Oh wait, no I wouldn't.

for 2 plat and the bard puts their gear in the bank? i love how this game is so hard for people that cant problem solve worth poo poo.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

for 2 plat and the bard puts their gear in the bank? i love how this game is so hard for people that cant problem solve worth poo poo.

Once I was RPing a sandwich vendor and some guy paid me like 100 plat from a tasty burg.

I about shat myself.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

seriously if you fell off the boat in the middle of the ocean you were guaranteed losing your corpse.

guaranteed the developers were all old school D&D players who cut their teeth on those really sadistic first edition dungeons that were just meatgrinders. i suspect they wanted to put the younger generation through the same pain they endured. and genuinely, it creates immersion if you really feel like your character dying is a massive setback... the fictional world has consequences "closer" to the real world, and the investment of emotional energy is that much more.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dude these are LONG loving BOAT RIDES. It was easier said than done.

But sure, if you think "my mom made a phone call" should be worth two platinum and half of two people's afternoon then yeah, it's a great game. Don't forget, there's a time limit on this poo poo so you better hope it didn't happen before bedtime.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 20, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's "can't" and there's "wow this is really ugly and dull why the gently caress am I rubbing this cheese grater against my balls *quits game forever*"

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

nomadologique posted:

lol, my bro's character is a bearded dwarf with an eyepatch, sup

hello brother.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Ignite Memories posted:

Dude these are LONG loving BOAT RIDES. It was easier said than done.

But sure, if you think "my mom made a phone call" should be worth two platinum and half of two people's afternoon then yeah, it's a great game. Don't forget, there's a time limit on this poo poo so you better hope it didn't happen before bedtime.

undisturbed corpses lasted for a week so you are okay :thumbsup:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I also love how the immediate response to any criticism is "lol ur just not HARCORE ENOUGH human being :smug:"

not at release, no

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Flesh Forge posted:

There's "can't" and there's "wow this is really ugly and dull why the gently caress am I rubbing this cheese grater against my balls *quits game forever*"

i dunno i really enjoy delayed gratification, working for gear and stuff was fun to me.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

or when some big wig friend of yours logged on and asked you if you wanted to do a bigger bad rear end camp and you had to be like "oh hey i gotta go"

suck it nerds.

i played on the rathe, which had a VERY polite system of zone-sharing amongst the high-end guilds, orchestrated primarily by this one dude and a website/forum called the Rathe Travel Agency. anyways, when epics came out, nagafen's lair had to be kept clear for the epic spawn there... but because all these high-end guilds were too high-level to fight nagafen, the chief diplomat dude arranged for nagafen to be cleared every week. he would broadcast invitations to characters level 45-52 (or 51? whatever) all over the server and everybody would gather up for the chance to kill a dragon!!

well i started going to these, and after a few weeks, this guy realized (a) i wasn't retarded (b) i paid attention (c) i was always there, so he pretty much put me in charge.

so i started leading these nagafen raids, and after a bit longer, he awarded me with a haste cloak!! this was a big deal, because until then, the deal was that he took all the cloaks, basically as his asking price for arranging the raids... he didn't keep them, they got distributed to people in the high-end guilds, blah blah. this might sound lovely, but ultimately, it's not. there's no way any of these people would have had a chance at nagafen without him.

anyway, he said "look, you get this haste cloak on semi-permanent loan. i will get you your epic, and then you give me the cloak back." (i was a rogue, so my epic gave haste.)

he kept his word. i had that cloak for like six months before i was at the point where i was ready to do my final turn-in and fight. but my guild was nowhere near strong enough to do it. well guess what? like 40 loving people from one of the most powerful guilds on the server showed up to do the fight with me. none of these people had any idea who i was, but this dude was paying back the help i gave him on all those nagafen raids by calling in favors.

that was an amazing moment.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

i dunno i really enjoy delayed gratification, working for gear and stuff was fun to me.

Don't get me wrong, I play loving DWARF FORTRESS and things being difficult or slow or even plain-looking is not a dealbreaker for me, just holy loving poo poo this game was bad and dull and painfully unpleasant in every way I can imagine

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well now you're just loving lying.

edit: beaten.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 20, 2015

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

actually i might be misremembering? about the cloaks? they might have just been randomed at every raid, but that time, he just awarded it to me without any roll. i can't remember. whatever.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i also had a cool really powerful friend from way early in my career. when i was like level 14 or something i was leveling up in befallen, and there was this uber powerful dark elf shadowknight in there. probably farming bone chips. anyways, we got to talking and we stayed acquaintances for my whole time playing. every now and then he'd help me out with some poo poo, powerleveling me or whatever, giving me items.

he had a GM event item, server-unique.

what a dreamboat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Yeah that is pretty awesome and thats what I enjoyed about EQ is that people were often genuinely stoked to help one another out when it made sense. I bet you were super stoked when all the dudes that you see around N Freeport and poo poo with their particled weapons showed up to help you. ( The rogue epic quest was a pretty easy fight but it still pretty rad)

Ignite Memories posted:

Well now you're just loving lying.

edit: beaten.

Well maybe I dont remember it correctly but, I was in the game near the beginning and I never remember a corpse not saying more than 3-4 days when I clicked on it.

• Locked thread