Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My friend used Macroquest to teleport into the wall of the temple in Plane of Fire and killed General Zha overnight before a raid could get to him ahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Highpass Hold was key for going from FP to Qeynos. It was either that or brave the gorge to get to Rivervale. MUCH more dangerous!

I camped Jboots off Derlzna in Najena for like 18 hours once like I mentioned in the other story. I was sitting there for EVER and there were 8 people in front of me. They'd go up and loot...and...and....they didn't get it. We probably killed her over a 100 times, with a 20 minute or so respawn time, it was BRUTAL.

Finally it was my turn, I was gonna get my Jboots. Even though I was a ranger, I wanted those fuckers. So here we go, its my turn! BOOM.

Power goes out. Turns out something overloaded hte transformer on our block and the entire block went without power. It took an hour to come back on, and I was so pissed and tired I ended up passing out on the bed behind me. Power came back on and I came to, probably 2 hours later.

Sure enough the boots had dropped in my absence, but they were nice enough to let me back into line because they knew how long I'd been there before.

Thats my jboots story and one of my most memorable times in the game. Small town Iowa ruled for wasting time on EQ in high summer.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
ouch...

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Highpass Hold was key for going from FP to Qeynos. It was either that or brave the gorge to get to Rivervale. MUCH more dangerous!

I camped Jboots off Derlzna in Najena for like 18 hours once like I mentioned in the other story. I was sitting there for EVER and there were 8 people in front of me. They'd go up and loot...and...and....they didn't get it. We probably killed her over a 100 times, with a 20 minute or so respawn time, it was BRUTAL.

Finally it was my turn, I was gonna get my Jboots. Even though I was a ranger, I wanted those fuckers. So here we go, its my turn! BOOM.

Power goes out. Turns out something overloaded hte transformer on our block and the entire block went without power. It took an hour to come back on, and I was so pissed and tired I ended up passing out on the bed behind me. Power came back on and I came to, probably 2 hours later.

Sure enough the boots had dropped in my absence, but they were nice enough to let me back into line because they knew how long I'd been there before.

Thats my jboots story and one of my most memorable times in the game. Small town Iowa ruled for wasting time on EQ in high summer.
:yikes:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Your feet begin to move faster

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
EverQuest was like some kind of magic world that always seemed like it had more going on (it didn't).

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

burritolingus posted:

EverQuest was like some kind of magic world that always seemed like it had more going on (it didn't).

Well I think it was just that for most of us, it was the first time such a massive game was offered to us. I mean I played MUDs but really besides memorizing ( e. e. e. e. w. n. s. w. w. e. ) there was an absence of an actual world.

And the fact you were dropped in this city and they were like " GOOD LUCK! " made it so much better. Because off the bat you felt very alone in this massive world, was great.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

yes, there's also that it was before internet proliferation, so information was still strangely hard to come by. now you can wiki absolutely everything, but then what you could get off kazaam was helpful to a certain extent but not radically so. you still had to go poke around and talk to people if you really wanted to know what something was, how to do it, etc.

the safehouse, everquest rogue forum and community, blossomed largely in the face of the burning rapier quest. it took the collaboration of many people on every server to figure out how to do this quest, where every component was, blah blah, because this information was not available anywhere. the NPCs certainly didn't tell you where to look like they do in newer games.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Jastiger posted:

When they eventually moved the drop to the AC in OoT or whatever, I jumped off the boat one day,wrecked some dumb elf dude who was camping the AC (PvP) and while he was running back AC popped, I soloed him and /whispered the dude to let him know for good measure. He said he had been there all day. I had my boots later that day.

I loving loved EQ. The trash talking was the best.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 20, 2015

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

tbqh most of my favorite memories of any hobbies I've had in my life is diligently searching for information obscure enough as to not really exist on the Internet. Being fed information is great from a user experience perspective, generally, but definitely leaves a lot of experiences milquetoast and forgettable. lovely illogical struggles that ultimately land you feeling rewarded when you complete them are far more memorable in the long run than being able to go on WoWhead and know exactly what you need at any given time

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 20, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Didn't Jboots only make you run like 5% faster

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Flesh Forge posted:

No, much faster than that. They weren't quite SoW, but they were much faster than normal.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

when fabled jboots made an appearance (clickable SoW, way faster than normal jboots and could click on others too), my friend and I (actually Ingwit from FYAD ahaha) camped it with a macro bound to target the nearest enemy and autoattack. There was a 6 hour queue some dork set up to get them and we just went /afk with autoattack on next to her spawn, rolled for the boots ourselves, and bounced. I think the entire server hated us for the entirety of our time playing and yes it was so worth it

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Flesh Forge posted:

was like 25-30 percent I think.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Ahhh EQ at start. Whoever does 51% of the mobs health in damage, gets all the rewards.

Kill Stealing reigned

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
A lot of the information you'd find also wasn't even remotely accurate. Like I remember people thinking putting food on the ground would speed up respawns/raise the chance of certain rare mobs spawning. Then you'd hear stories of a rogue who pickpocketed a boat and stole some heavy item meant to encumber the boat, and the boat sped off with superspeed because it was no longer encumbered, and you'd have no clue if that was true or not because it's Everquest.

I think they eventually revealed the truth as to how the ancient cyclops spawned long after everyone stopped playing.

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 20, 2015

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

burritolingus posted:

A lot of the information you'd find also wasn't even remotely accurate. Like I remember people thinking putting food on the ground would speed up respawns/raise the chance of certain rare mobs spawning. Then you'd hear stories of a rogue who pickpocketed a boat and stole some heavy item meant to encumber the boat, and the boat sped off with superspeed because it was no longer encumbered, and you'd have no clue if that was true or not because it's Everquest.

Yeah, there'd be pages and pages of a thread about mysteries that were full of speculation on stuff like that. All the lore bits I mentioned earlier that never got explained just added fuel to the fire. Information about video games is presented so differently today, I wonder if you could ever get back to that mystery.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, there'd be pages and pages of a thread about mysteries that were full of speculation on stuff like that. All the lore bits I mentioned earlier that never got explained just added fuel to the fire. Information about video games is presented so differently today, I wonder if you could ever get back to that mystery.

It was equal parts "genuine mystery" and "we didn't finish this," like how the game came with these maps that weren't entirely accurate because they never finished half the zones. And, of course, there was no in-game map for the longest time, so these half-accurate maps and hand-drawn maps (that you drew yourself) were really all you had to go on. But it felt like more of an adventure because of all this.

And then there was poo poo like Plane of Mischief.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Thinking back on it, EQ was more of a pain in the rear end, then any sort of hobby or fun activity.

Endless hours doing repetitive tasks, for little to no reward. Incredibly harsh punishments, for the most benign screw ups. Team work required for the most basic things...

EQ was the cube farm of games.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

Ahhh EQ at start. Whoever does 51% of the mobs health in damage, gets all the rewards.

Kill Stealing reigned

lol.

this was one of the dumbest things in the game, and oh the emergent gameplay as a result.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

burritolingus posted:

And then there was poo poo like Plane of Mischief.

this was the biggest goddamn disaster, hahaha

and such a shame too, because bristlebane was my god, and i so wanted to go party in his plane

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

Thinking back on it, EQ was more of a pain in the rear end, then any sort of hobby or fun activity.

Endless hours doing repetitive tasks, for little to no reward. Incredibly harsh punishments, for the most benign screw ups. Team work required for the most basic things...

My entire family is military and you basically described exactly why they talk so fondly of their experiences. :spergin:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

and it paved the way for hundreds of MMO games JUST LIKE IT

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

nomadologique posted:

this was the biggest goddamn disaster, hahaha

and such a shame too, because bristlebane was my god, and i so wanted to go party in his plane

I was never high enough to get to the planes or any of the end-game stuff...I think the Plane of Fear or Plane of Hatred or whatever were the ones that were around when I was playing mostly. But it's a pretty weird concept anyway, when you think about it, that you level up and then raid the planes of the gods and murder them. It's a really strange end game conceptually.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

they "justified" that by only having you kill their avatars. you never kill the actual gods, just physical manifestations of them.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ssraeshza Temple was one of my favorite zones of all time. The sterility of some race of North African space lizards thinking they're gods on the vacuumed void of a moon really brought some deep cultural anthropological perspective to 14 year old me. :spergin:

edit: basically this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVXy1OhaERY

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 20, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Ssraeshza Temple was one of my favorite zones of all time. The sterility of some race of North African space lizards thinking they're gods on the vacuumed void of a moon really brought some deep cultural anthropological perspective to 14 year old me. :spergin:

Oh gently caress that whole place.

This forced the camping of a level nothing MOB in Qeynos, for a click earring that lets you breathe underwater.

Entire raids would wipe from dispels. I swear the developers were bigger sadists then the Marquis De Sade

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

also just to get in there didn't you have to do like 60+ hour camps for the dumb key items? every single loving person in your raid had to get those keys, amounting to some thousands of man-hours just to get inside.

and then there was that big baddie in a different luclin zone that could only be damaged by a certain type of crafted weapon, so your entire raid had to be equipped with these weapons, which took the big guilds months and months to acquire between leveling the crafting, collecting the components, and successfully making each weapon. then the guy had like a billion billion hitpoints when it finally came to it. everything about that encounter was just one massive grind i guess.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I think it took me like ten or so hours but I had a helluva lot of free time in middleschool

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

to this day I describe arduous and intolerably boring tasks as "like watching two clerics duel"

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Man, I never saw any of that end game stuff. Even the dungeons you could walk into without any special items were legendary and ominous to me when I played. I think I went to SplitPaw once with this family of barbarians who all played together and had an okay time. The gnolls there were like upgraded Blackburrow gnolls, but we didn't venture too deep into the dungeon.

And that underwater dungeon sounded terrifying to me as well, the one near the haunted mansion.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

nomadologique posted:

also just to get in there didn't you have to do like 60+ hour camps for the dumb key items? every single loving person in your raid had to get those keys, amounting to some thousands of man-hours just to get inside.

How

VendaGoat posted:

This forced the camping of a level nothing MOB in Qeynos, for a click earring that lets you breathe underwater.

Entire raids would wipe from dispels. I swear the developers were bigger sadists then the Marquis De Sade

the gently caress

VendaGoat posted:

did any of you fuckups tolerate this poo poo for any length of time?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

nobody ever ever went to that underwater dungeon for a few reasons, until later when epics came out, you had to go there for the enchanter epic or something.

first, you had to have underwater breathing on the entire time.

second, AOEs had NO VERTICAL LIMITATION. they were limited in x and y BUT NOT IN Z. this wasn't a problem in most places, but uh...

welp, use an AOE and the entire zone trains you. lol.

it was bad enough having to maneuver around in that dumbass place while pulling. it was basically a death trap, so no one ever went there.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

How

the gently caress

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I had a helluva lot of free time in middleschool

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

How

the gently caress

i actually didn't experience any of that stuff directly, just heard about it. i was never high enough level to have to bother with that stuff.

unsurprisingly, i quit WoW after my guild alliance server-firsted molten core. played from release, until beating the first end-game, and basically decided i'd beat WoW and quit when nefarian's lair was a complete and utter shitshow on release, buggy and laggy as unbelievable gently caress.

had no interest in end-game grinding.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

nomadologique posted:

nobody ever ever went to that underwater dungeon for a few reasons, until later when epics came out, you had to go there for the enchanter epic or something.

first, you had to have underwater breathing on the entire time.

second, AOEs had NO VERTICAL LIMITATION. they were limited in x and y BUT NOT IN Z. this wasn't a problem in most places, but uh...

welp, use an AOE and the entire zone trains you. lol.

it was bad enough having to maneuver around in that dumbass place while pulling. it was basically a death trap, so no one ever went there.

Yeah, it made the place so mysterious and crazy. Like, you know some crazy monster lived in that dungeon, and somehow tied into the lore. Stuff like that was really interesting to me...wasn't there a group of NPC adventurers in that zone too who you could train aqua goblins to if you were getting your rear end beat? Why were they even there?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

All those classic mobs capped out at 32,000 HP as well, which was funny on the emu servers. Because when you actually have a large group of DPS with stable internet connections, all those bosses die in 30 seconds or even faster. Same gear as back then pretty much, no tricks really, just better internet.The 56k modem was the real boss back then.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

yeah, even the nagafen fights back in the day only took a minute maybe? with just a group of 45-51 twerps zerging it.

i gotta say, though i haven't played anything past molten core, it does seem WoW has done a very good job of making fights more than tank and bash. even the earliest content in WoW was starting down that road... Onyxia was fun to figure out, some of the more complicated fights in MC, and even some of the poo poo in like Blackrock Spire (although that had been done thoroughly by the time i got there, so everyone already knew what to do blah blah, but you still had to learn the encounter yourself).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah EVERY boss was tank and spank in EQ. It was the worst parts of all modern MMOS, but then it was the BEST of the ONLY MMO. So it ruled.

I think the story really did well when they came out with Velious. Factions mattered, the first real "grind" started for major faction rewards, and the story really made a lot of sense. Granted, the other problems were still there with random spawns, over powered NPC's, increased class imbalance, and so on. Even so, Velious was really good because you actually had some semblance of progression and "end game" whereas up until that point, there really wasn't anything else other than farming the deities in their respective planes.

About the maps, yeah, they were pretty jacked. I can redraw from memory most of the maps in the initial game, thats how much you really had to care about them to be able to navigate without getting lost. Hell, I still have my first edition cloth map that came with the original release.

Kill stealing was the poo poo though. I was a stupid ranger for most of the original content and pretty much useless regarding the damage there, so I teamed up with a monk and we KS'd high pass keep for EVER. ANd since I was PVP I couldn't really go anywhere else because I didn't know how to get there, so i'd grind this place forever and ever and ever stealing all the kills. Oh *wipes tear from eye*.

I feel like EQ could have been made a really truly great game if they had a dedicated staff that did nothing but GM events and unique programming and stuff like that. The game was so vast that doing stuff like that had a really big impact and really made the game worth playing. Nowadays its pre programmed "dailies" and stuff like that. Back then, all it would have taken was a team doing an event on a server and you'd have a lot more emergent gameplay. Also following through on a lot of the lore and spreading out the high end monsters.

Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDkvy9sKuY

• Locked thread