Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ALFbrot posted:

Time to place squarely in the 15th percentile again with my patented mix of Pirates homer answers and jokes that aren't as good as everyone else's :cool:

Well, when I said this I actually meant 85th percentile, I did it backwards like a bozo

I ended up 66/81, so I was in the 81st percentile. I WILDLY EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS. COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR.

seiferguy posted:

That reminds me - I've been brainstorming ideas for another general sports sheep - any interest out there for it?
I actually think one of the reasons this works so well is that so many of us are deeply passionate about baseball, and we all know the deep-cut jokes.

A general-sports sheep game could be fun, but many of us would phone in answers about other sports, and posters not so much into baseball (and even some that are but don't read all the threads) would be like "why did this guy put Seth McClung for every answer, also I like ketchup"

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

That reminds me - I've been brainstorming ideas for another general sports sheep - any interest out there for it?

That would be fun! I don't think I got to participate in the last one (I was super busy last year).

Baseball sheep is kind of sort of running out of good questions - or at least they're becoming more and more of a stretch. So I'll probably hold off on doing any more rounds until maybe the end of the season, if inspiration strikes, or have a special themed one sometime in the late summer (e.g. "Classic Sheep" or "Golden Age Sheep" or something - there would probably be fewer entries but it might be a fun change of pace).

I was thinking about running some other stuff during the course of the season if there is interest. Illinois Smith has a "who are your favorite NBA players" poll thing going on that I would like to copy once the season gets going (I have not informed him of this). I could do a graduated/daily reveal and people could talk about the players that get named if they feel so inclined. If anyone else has other ideas for games/fun forums things, please let me know - I'd be happy to run them if you don't want to invest the time.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

The fact that two different posters named semen as the second best condiment is why I love these forums.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

tinstaach posted:

The fact that two different posters named semen as the second best condiment is why I love these forums.

Do you mean you love the current state of the forums, as opposed to ten years ago, when everyone would've put "semen"

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seth McClung has taken over pitch framing as my favorite gimmick answer. Thanks for this, Xenophon.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Mine was "being born" so I'm a-ok with my categorization. The ketchup category folks, you are a lot funnier than I am

:3:. A of the categories had great answers.

Good game. That was fun. Thanks again for your effort Xenophon

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ALFbrot posted:

I actually think one of the reasons this works so well is that so many of us are deeply passionate about baseball, and we all know the deep-cut jokes.

A general-sports sheep game could be fun, but many of us would phone in answers about other sports, and posters not so much into baseball (and even some that are but don't read all the threads) would be like "why did this guy put Seth McClung for every answer, also I like ketchup"

I did a general sports sheep back in 2013 and it turned out to be pretty well, I thought: http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568220 the second one suffered a bit because I ran out of inspiration but I think I have a few good ideas for questions now.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

This was a lot of fun, thank you for running it Xenophon!

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Hoofprints, not footprints. Also, sorry, but the centaur thing will never not be funny.

Also thanks.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I did exactly as well as I expected to do for filling this out drunk after the 2am eastern time deadline.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Xenophon posted:

That would be fun! I don't think I got to participate in the last one (I was super busy last year).

Baseball sheep is kind of sort of running out of good questions - or at least they're becoming more and more of a stretch. So I'll probably hold off on doing any more rounds until maybe the end of the season, if inspiration strikes, or have a special themed one sometime in the late summer (e.g. "Classic Sheep" or "Golden Age Sheep" or something - there would probably be fewer entries but it might be a fun change of pace).

I was thinking about running some other stuff during the course of the season if there is interest. Illinois Smith has a "who are your favorite NBA players" poll thing going on that I would like to copy once the season gets going (I have not informed him of this). I could do a graduated/daily reveal and people could talk about the players that get named if they feel so inclined. If anyone else has other ideas for games/fun forums things, please let me know - I'd be happy to run them if you don't want to invest the time.

I tried a sports media sheep game that kinda bombed, if I ran it again I'd narrowcast the questions more and probably just make it ESPN-centric. If someone could do better more power to them.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

I would just like to clarify that I put fans. I have no particular qualm with the existence of the St. Louis Cardinals, as they are a historic franchise that has just had the misfortune of existing on or around the greater St. Louis area.

C. Everett Koop posted:

I tried a sports media sheep game that kinda bombed, if I ran it again I'd narrowcast the questions more and probably just make it ESPN-centric. If someone could do better more power to them.

I don't think enough people even watch ESPN here any more to make that any better. I like the concept, but I think it's already niche enough.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

C. Everett Koop posted:

Didn't yours also fall on the time the forums went completely down?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I did a general sports sheep back in 2013 and it turned out to be pretty well, I thought: http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568220 the second one suffered a bit because I ran out of inspiration but I think I have a few good ideas for questions now.

This one was really good, and props to you for doing it because goddamn some questions had like 40+ aces.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

finished in third, gently caress everyone else that picked the korean guy

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
My answer for the name of Cuba's team was the Gooding Jr's . Not Good Jr's . The Cuba Gooding Jr's.? C'mon how could you guys not think of that?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

TipsyMc posted:

My answer for the name of Cuba's team was the Gooding Jr's . Not Good Jr's . The Cuba Gooding Jr's.? C'mon how could you guys not think of that?

I'm currently furious that so many people have forgotten their Back To The Future 2s re: what team will win the WS in 2015.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Cubs are never winning a World Series except in that MLB The Show ad.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I actually woulda done alright. poo poo. There's always next year. :qq:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ride or Die Chili Crew

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Ride or Die Chili Crew

:respek:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Oh man I missed the whole loving thing :(

Still, lots of fun to read after the fact.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
I'm happy to have finished in the top ten. I'm even happier that I remembered to put my forums name in my e-mail submission.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think I got enough questions to do a general sports sheep. I'll do it mid-March after this quarter ends. Look forward to it.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I went ahead and made a new Cuban Reds logo.

Praise Ammat the Ankh, Praise Fidel.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Rand alPaul posted:

I went ahead and made a new Cuban Reds logo.

Praise Ammat the Ankh, Praise Fidel.

That's really good.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hand Knit posted:

That's really good.

I'm looking for a Pirates logo I can photoshop into a Detainee, especially now that they're ISIS's favorite team.

EDIT: Teams need to bring this poo poo back.

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 2, 2015

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Rand alPaul posted:

I'm looking for a Pirates logo I can photoshop into a Detainee, especially now that they're ISIS's favorite team.

EDIT: Teams need to bring this poo poo back.

Still not as good as:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TkkEKPVloA

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
Just snuck in with a protected pick! :3:
Was fun, I think I laughed at every Seth McClung.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cartoon Pirate needs to come back. He's too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Rand alPaul posted:

Cartoon Pirate needs to come back. He's too good.

There were a lot more that I can't find. I distinctly remember one for as the game started of him charging up the shores with a bat in hand like a sabre.

• Locked thread