Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I never owned this game, but also never realized there was a custom AC arena feature. That's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Seiren posted:

:getin:

As long as you 100% both discs, that's what matters after all.
Well, now I'm definitely more than obligated to do so. Was bound to happen at some point.

Captain Foo posted:

I never owned this game, but also never realized there was a custom AC arena feature. That's amazing.
Yeah. I had already known it was there, but only ever started looking at what was in there when I was preparing the LP. The AI stuff is super neat.

Coincidentally, my other favorite game in the series, Silent Line, also has a custom AI feature (though no custom Arena), but the way it's done is much more organic and time consuming, yet more impressive as it learns from each battle. Then there was Verdict Day, which while I have some gripes with the gameplay, I sunk so many hours messing around with the UNACs and setting up my AI partners.

We really need more in game tools to let players make their own computer controlled mechs with specific behaviors. Carnage Heart was loving ahead of the curve man, and From only really delved into it three times over the course of 14 main games. Well, I suppose 4 if you count Formula Front, though that was a spinoff and the premise was much closer to Carnage Heart's.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

EX Part 1: Humanoid Legs

It's still gonna be a little bit before returning to the main game, so I figured after the last update's introduction of the second disc, I'd start plowing through some of the bonus Arena ladders. And the first one on the menu is the Humanoid Legs category. Since we already have been going with this leg type in the main game, I'll be using my main build once again. Well, with one slight variation when we reach a specific opponent which you'll see shortly.

Now then, onto the EX Arena, Humanoid Legs category.

Starting out in 10th place in the rankings, it's time to start climbing up.

Reward: 10000 C

Not to difficulty of a first match. Zweit does boost around a lot, so using single shot weapons like the KARASAWA require a bit more precision and firing at the right moment in order to hit. Nothing too fancy. Though if you notice, is design is pretty familiar as it was one of the example ACs featured in the Opening CG for Project Phantasma. The only difference is that his right hand weapon here is a pulse rifle instead of a handgun. Still a very nice design, if I say so myself.

The moment we reach rank #9, our description changes and remains that way for a few more matches.

Reward: 12000 C

"Walking Pillbox" comment aside, this AC moves very slowly, even when boosting. The rockets and machine guns are barely a threat if you can continue to hit him outside his range. His lack of maneuverability and predictable movements while airborne helps with this, too.

Reward: 15000 C

This is the first we've seen of another AC besides Nine-Ball returning from the first game, and for being ranked 7th in this category, he clearly is a better fit for the top 3. A real loving bastard.

For real though, Invisible Q's deadliest weapon is the KARASAWA and the accuracy that he has with it. Being able keep moving and react accordingly to where he's firing from can get you through without losing too much AP, but this is easier said than done. A better tactic, though not exactly full proof and is a bit inconsistent, is to just rush him. During this fight I found he was using the rifle more often when I was at a longer distance, though when he was either cornered or in a close enough distance he just kept moving around to try and maintain distance. He still occasionally fires while at close range, so this isn't a guaranteed method to cheese him. And as you could see, this is the fight I had to swap back to the weapon arm laser cannons because the faster this son of a bitch gets killed, the better.

Reward: 19000 C

Adverse has both maneuverability and a weapon to keep you from doing the same, as hand guns are able to stagger us very easily. That said, he leaves himself wide open when he uses his grenade launcher as he has to stay in place to use it. Hitting him when he's stationary ends the fight much faster than trying to give chase.

Also, I felt rather proud of myself for dodging his one grenade that he fired right on the spot.

Reward: 23000 C

This fight I think I had the most fun with out of everything in this category. Rianon's load out is fairly similar to ours and is mobile enough. Just a very good middle ground in terms of difficulty between the top and bottom ranks. Plus the stage contributed a lot to it, being much more fun to maneuver around than the snowy military base stage from Project Phantasma. In fact the just the setting kind of reminds me of that movie My Darling Clementine.

Wanna take a guess who got to play Wyatt Earp?

Rank #5, and once again our bio gets another update. Things our looking positive for us in this category.

Reward: 32000 C

This guy more than anything likes to reserve using his boosters until he's under attack, in which he starts hopping around. Otherwise, he's just running and is pretty easy to hit. Kind of a let down after that fight with Rianon, but eh, given his bio I'll chalk it up to old age slowing him down.

Reward: 45000 C

Another AC returning from the first game, although his AC has changed names from Puryunu Touri to Fallen Fortune. This was an incredibly close battle as the choice in stage put Vlad at an advantage due to his habit of staying airborne. A stage like the parking garage would've been better to limit his vertical movement, but eh I was already committed. Frankly, I'm surprised I even won that match as I had wasted all my rifle ammo right when he was down to a few hundred points of AP left. That one shot from my back cannon saved my rear end in the end.

Reward: 57000 C

Just like Invisible Q and Vlad, Moon is also from the first game. He loves to not only boost around a ton, but also boost towards you and get behind you so you waste time trying to circle around to find him. Fighting from a distance is much more preferred so you can better keep him in sight. Otherwise, his weapons aren't as threatening as someone like Invisible Q, so his constant boosting and rushing you becomes more of an annoyance if anything.

All that's left now is to take down Ernst.

Reward: 140000 C

Ernst is definitely worth his place on the ranking, because he is the only one AC in this specific Arena that is a Human PLUS. And is overweight on top of that. His tendency to hover a lot made the choice to fight in the garage a priority, though his deadliest weapon by far is the backmounted grenade launcher. With the benefits of PLUS, this fucker can fire that thing from anywhere and keep moving. Staying relatively close and in sight is important, all while dodging his grenade shots when they happened. Or do what I stumbled upon where my KARASAWA shot and the splash damage of his grenade at close range finished him off. If you can't dodge his poo poo, just have it blow up in his face!

Also, like Zweit, Ernst is an AC design originating from the opening CG for the very first Armored Core. They were indeed basic parts as the description says, and in that footage even he had to kneel to use his grenade launcher. Quite a jump in skill between games.

All 9 foes are defeated, and we're now top rank in the Humanoid Legs category.

For that, we receive our prize, the LN-23, a new Humanoid Leg part. This is the sort of prize you can expect from each of the other leg categories, but let's take a look at some of the stats.

When you look at the general shape of the part, it appears to look like a heavyweight. The description though calls it a "lightweight model, but without sacrificing defense or load capacity." The weight stat is listed at 2300, which is over a hundred points less than the LN-D-8000R which we have equipped. With pretty good defense stats and more load capacity than what we have, this seems like a good part. For me however, what keeps me from switching to this for the main build is that it still has the same sort of speed that the heavyweight legs have. Our current max speed we get from the 8000R is 269 while the S3 is 106. Alas, the speed at which I am able to move around at even without boosters is preferable to my style. But, depending on if something tough comes along that we might need the extra load and reduced weight, it's worth holding onto.

Now, before wrapping this update, since this category and the three others cover what is one of the most important parts that can determine how you control your AC, I'm gonna end each of these series of matches with an effort post provided by AC1 parts and systems expert Seiren.

Seiren posted:

Legs are the single most important choice you can make in Armored Core. Your choice of leg-part will affect every aspect of your ACs performance, from defenses & mobility, energy efficiency & recovery, even how you handle laserblades is affected by legs. Even within the same "class" of legs, there are subtle differences in the movement performance, especially when relating to airborne mobility, turning speed, and the momentum of the AC. Their load capacity can also determine what kind of firepower you can field. It is a given that heavier legs = higher load = higher defenses = low speed, but each type is tailored to a particular style on play.

Standard Bipedal Legs are the average, standard legs compared to the more specialized types. "Average", however, doesn't mean "bad". They're the most numerous type, with plenty of offerings for each weight-class, so you can further categorize them and pinpoint strengths and weaknesses. They get good mobility all around, and while they don't particular excel at either ground-based or airborne-fighting, a combination of both is highly effective. Without Plus, they must take an immobile stance to use any type of back-mounted cannons. This greatly improves accuracy and firing angles over gunning on the run as a Plus, but being immobile is a death sentence except for extreme circumstances (A good example would be the final mission of the previous game, preparing a powerful cannon to kill Hustler One very quickly in a relatively safe area) They can claim one clear-cut advantage over other types, and that is having the fastest laser-blade strikes in the game. As long as they're played to their strengths (or the player's raw skill & loadout vs. the other, as the case tends to be with middleweights), they're excellent for players of all skill levels. I'll divide them into classes based on their weight to highlight the details.

Lightweight legs tend to be the most mobile, have low load-capacity and poor defenses, and are pretty drainy on your generator. Some enhanced models sacrifice in certain areas for higher defenses or AP, sometimes trading already-poor defenses for more load capacity, or trading more energy for better overall performance. They're highly mobile, both on land and ground, and when combined with a strong booster, can achieve excellent rising abilities, all while remaining easy-to-use. I preferred lightweight bipedal legs for a long time, utilizing quick hit 'n run strategies with the RFM-118 (i think that's the right part name, if not I am talking about the enhanced Rifle that becomes available in this entry), small rockets for staggering to setup for a blade strike, and some radar.

You don't want to take hits from many weapons. Without optional parts, even the starting Rifle can stagger one long enough to score multiple hits. You -definitely- want to avoid being struck by anything big, like Rockets, Bazookas, any kind of missile, and even chain guns, because it will stagger your AC and set you up to take dangerous amounts of damage. Employ hit 'n run or out-turn your enemies, or stay at long range and plink away with sniper weapons or mid-long range missiles...assuming you can fit them on without going overweight. They're almost always one of two extremes -- they're either glass-cannons that are loaded for doing a lot of damage very quickly, or they're long-range types trying to use their mobility to play keep-away and wear you down. There is a middleground, and it varies based on loadout. Good for players who like to get around quickly, and prefer evading fire as opposed to tanking it. Blading with them gives you plenty of speed (and thus, more opportunities to get in for a quick strike), but also sets you up to be staggered right out of the attempt, so care must be used. Learn how to evade fire and avoid landing hard, and they can take you far. The amount of practice required to learn effective evasion varies from player to player, but this generally isn't something beginners should work with until they gain some experience behind something a little more durable.

Middleweight legs are some of the most well-rounded, balanced legs in the game. They achieve good performance in all areas, with the LN-1001 series being the epitome of "balance". There are specialized types offering higher shell or energy defense, lighter weight (typically at the cost of load capacity or AP). These can actually be further divided into 'light middleweight' and 'heavy middleweight' without actually stepping fully into either extreme, trading a little mobility for defenses & load or some defenses for more mobility. I pilot lighter middleweight ACs these days, going so far as using the default, starter legs (mostly out of preference rather than statistics) unless I absolutely need something heavier for some reason. They're surprisingly effective if you can work around the low load capacity, and keeps them light for good mobility. Not a whole lot to say -- no strengths, no weaknesses. They can be built to fight effectively at any range, or specialize for a particular range. They can take some hits, and the smallest thing that can stagger one is a Hand Gun (the small, pistol-like version, that is -- the "gold shotgun" handgun (WG-HG512) is designed for staggering ACs and can even stagger a bipedal heavyweight) A solid choice for beginner or expert alike. Beginners will like maintaining a good speed & having solid defenses, while experts will enjoy using their personal style and skills to overcome all sorts of challenges.

Heavyweight legs are slow & plodding, but make up for it with the second-highest defense levels available to players, excellent load capacity, and retaining some shred of lateral mobility. You'll usually want to compensate for that by using high-power boosters like the B-VR-33 or possibly even the exceptionally-draining B-P351. The choice largely depends on your generator, and how drainy the rest of your AC is. You can field some of the big guns easily, like Bazookas, cannons, the Karasawa, and more. Anything less then several small missiles, middle missiles, rockets, bazooka or bigger will not stagger you. The "gold shotgun" handgun (WG-HG512) -can- though, so watch out for that particular gun. You might think being a giant, lumbering tank with huge guns is easy, and it is -- for missions. Your defenses mitigate a lot of damage, and you can avoid the slow, powerful hits while dishing it out yourself. The same cannot be said when opponents are zipping around at 400km/h+, floating around behind you, and making your life hell. Some loadouts however straight-up cannot kill you because they will run out of ammo first. If this ever happens to you be sure to gloat how your indestructible death-dealing monstrosity stood up to their weak, baby weapons and blow them to hell at your leisure...or as soon as you can actually hit them. They are surprisingly hard to use, and if you don't use general-purpose weaponry like Rifles, Pulse Guns, Machine Guns, or the like you must be very mindful of your shots and your ammo consumption. Big guns tend to have less ammo. Make every shot count. I can't recommend them for beginner players unless you're sticking to missions. I'm not particularly a fan of them, but I know people who make good use of them and throw their weight around pretty easily. It's a love-or-hate thing, but it is typically very difficult to play to their strengths without significant practice.
For anyone who wants to know all the advantages and disadvantages when it comes to using a leg type, read it closely. He definitely does a more thorough job of explaining it than I can.

Lastly, here's a look at about how much progress we have left on disc 2. With only 9 EX Arena matches one, we've only covered about 8% of the content. I told you there was more Arena stuff crammed on this disc than in the main game.

Regular missions and Arena matches resume next update, with Ex Parts happening after each one with a new Arena ladder to be covered.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArclightBorealis posted:

Not to difficulty of a first match. Zweit does boost around a lot, so using single shot weapons like the KARASAWA require a bit more precision and firing at the right moment in order to hit. Nothing too fancy. Though if you notice, is design is pretty familiar as it was one of the example ACs featured in the Opening CG for Project Phantasma. The only difference is that his right hand weapon here is a pulse rifle instead of a handgun. Still a very nice design, if I say so myself.

This is also the one they use to represent Project Phantasma in Last Raven's VR Arena. For the longest time I always thought this was weird because that's not the AC that shows up on Phantasma's cover, but then I realized recently that this is the one that shows up on the Japanese cover of the game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ArclightBorealis posted:

Well, now I'm definitely more than obligated to do so. Was bound to happen at some point.
Yeah. I had already known it was there, but only ever started looking at what was in there when I was preparing the LP. The AI stuff is super neat.

Coincidentally, my other favorite game in the series, Silent Line, also has a custom AI feature (though no custom Arena), but the way it's done is much more organic and time consuming, yet more impressive as it learns from each battle. Then there was Verdict Day, which while I have some gripes with the gameplay, I sunk so many hours messing around with the UNACs and setting up my AI partners.

We really need more in game tools to let players make their own computer controlled mechs with specific behaviors. Carnage Heart was loving ahead of the curve man, and From only really delved into it three times over the course of 14 main games. Well, I suppose 4 if you count Formula Front, though that was a spinoff and the premise was much closer to Carnage Heart's.

I remember playing a demo of Carnage Heart on some demo disc ages and ages ago, but I never got my hands on the actual game. It seemed like a great concept, but I can sort of see why it never became very popular. Are you aware of any quality LPs of it?

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

nine-gear crow posted:

This is also the one they use to represent Project Phantasma in Last Raven's VR Arena. For the longest time I always thought this was weird because that's not the AC that shows up on Phantasma's cover, but then I realized recently that this is the one that shows up on the Japanese cover of the game.
Yep. Same for Ernst. Every AC that represents the Japanese covers for the games up through Nine Breaker gets a spot in the VR Arena. Kind of a nice tribute considering that game being the last "traditional" AC game.

I need to start getting into Last Raven sometime soon when I have the chance. I just completed my PS2 Armored Core collection with NB and LR a couple months ago, though I still need to 100% Another Age and Silent Line first. The latter takes a hell of a long time to thoroughly complete, holy poo poo.

Captain Foo posted:

I remember playing a demo of Carnage Heart on some demo disc ages and ages ago, but I never got my hands on the actual game. It seemed like a great concept, but I can sort of see why it never became very popular. Are you aware of any quality LPs of it?
Doing a quick search, the only LP I've seen is one on Youtube, but it's all in French so there's not much I can get out of that. Not really anything for the sequel EXA either. It's a shame because I would like to see a full playthrough of it in detail. Just the screenshots and short clips I've seen made it look really cool.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

ArclightBorealis posted:

All 9 foes are defeated, and we're now top rank in the Humanoid Legs category.

For that, we receive our prize, the LN-23, a new Humanoid Leg part. This is the sort of prize you can expect from each of the other leg categories, but let's take a look at some of the stats.

When you look at the general shape of the part, it appears to look like a heavyweight. The description though calls it a "lightweight model, but without sacrificing defense or load capacity." The weight stat is listed at 2300, which is over a hundred points less than the LN-D-8000R which we have equipped. With pretty good defense stats and more load capacity than what we have, this seems like a good part. For me however, what keeps me from switching to this for the main build is that it still has the same sort of speed that the heavyweight legs have. Our current max speed we get from the 8000R is 269 while the S3 is 106. Alas, the speed at which I am able to move around at even without boosters is preferable to my style. But, depending on if something tough comes along that we might need the extra load and reduced weight, it's worth holding onto.
The LN-S3 is a middleweight, that has attributes of a heavyweight. They're quite strong because of this, but you pay for the statistical advantage in mobility pretty harshly, especially if you make full use of the high load capacity and slap some heavy poo poo on them. I can highlight this by comparing to a set of legs that's been in since the vanilla game, the LN-SSVR, which the game touts as "lightest of the heavily-armored heavyweight legs".

LN-S3
Price: 75000
Weight: 2300
Energy Drain: 2050
Armor Point: 3426
Def_Shell: 752
Def_Energy: 680
Max Weight: 5630
Speed: 106
Stability: 1480

LN-SSVR

Price: 32400
Weight: 2750
Energy Drain: 2013
Armor Point: 3606
Def_Shell: 789
Def_Energy: 532
Max Weight: 5400
Speed: 148
Stability: 2150

Just look at those numbers. While the S3 outclasses the SSVR (an actual heavyweight set) overall, it comes at a high-cost of mobility. Allthough they're pretty light, the S3 is drat slow, and has a low stagger rating compared to a real heavyweight. In terms of actual performance (that is, gameplay using each set), the SSVR will perform substantially better mobility-wise with a similar load slapped on than the S3, and is far harder to stun. That said, a real heavyweight set will outclass the S3 in pretty much every way except for weight, booster-enhanced movement speed, and flight (which is certainly affected by the total weight of the AC)

And just for fun, lets also compare to what Arc is using right now, the LN-D-8000R :eng101:

Price: 49000
Weight: 2426
Energy Drain: 2350
Armor Point: 3532
Def_Shell: 510
Def_Energy: 656
Max Weight: 4770*
Speed: 269
Stability: 1200
* These legs received a buff to this statistic between PP and MoA, from 4720 to 4770. This seems like a small increase, but you can configure an AC in such a way to fully optimize, and use the fullest extent of your weight capacity in order to raise important numbers, or slap a weapon on that you feel you need. Many leg parts can be configured with just the right combination of parts and weapons in such a way that you're just a few tens, or even as small as single-digit differences between load capacity and the weight you're putting on, but the parts you're just barely unable to use substantially improve the AC's performance. So that was basically just a lot of words saying that this change is actually pretty significant!

I actually didn't expect this myself when I looked up the actual stats for these legs, but the S3 outclasses these in literally every way except for mobility. Lighter, less drainy, and even higher overall defenses. A 100AP-deficit is not equivalent to a difference of over 200 solid shell defense, and the S3 even out-does this part's specialty -- that being the enhanced energy defenses, and achieves less-drain at the same time. I'd say the 8000R definitely wins in appearance, though, since they actually look like middleweight legs with enhanced energy shielding. The S3 are fat

So, if you needed a heavier middleweight for some reason, the S3 are definitely a great part if you're capable of working around the poor mobility. One of the better rewards, honestly.

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 11, 2015

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Part 5: A Stern Warning
Starting this update off with an Arena fight, but we only get one in right now for reasons that will be further explained afterwards. And because it's just one, I felt like it wasn't quite as necessary to make an image of the AC's icon and use that as the link to the video. So here it is.

Stunt Rider's a reverse joint AC, and as you'd expect hops and boosts around a lot, not to mention uses a handgun to stagger us with each hit. I obviously did not bring any missiles with me to test whether he's that good at reading trajectories and reacting accordingly, but I think he still put up more of a fight than the other Sub-Arena ACs we faced thus far.

We do get another bonus weapon out of that fight though, and it's the WG-HG770. It still follows the same basic rules as its other handgun brethren, though it is very accurate for having a wide range on its shots. Another one piece for the garage.

Anyway, we can't go to the next Arena fight, because we receive an important message in our inbox...

Sender: PROGTECH

An emergency situation has arisen.
We have a request that needs your
immediate attention. Please read
the request description for more
information.

...which then tells us to look at our missions for more details.

An emergency situation has come up. We'll be sending a mission request directly.

The PROGTECH Marine Laboratory is under attack by an unknown MT. The attacker's objective is still unclear.

We've already sent in another Raven, but he was unable to complete the mission. The best he could do was stall the enemy's invasion of the facility.

An important company official is housed within the facility. It is vital that he be rescued and brought to safety.

As is our right as your sponsor, we are temporarily revoking your license to participate in the Arena. This mission is now your top priority.

So yes, this will happen at key moments in the game where you will be prevented from continuing to participate in the Arena until you complete the story mission that it presents to you. This keeps the game's pace moving and prevents you from potentially sticking to a completely different mode that isn't pushing you forward in terms of progress, something that I appreciate. What determine when you are required to do these mandatory missions is a combination of arena battles and missions completed at a given time. Kind of like how mission progression worked in Armored Core 1, you kinda work it out by feel most of the time unless you really pay attention to how many missions and/or arena battles have to happen before the game moves forward.

Anyway, I digress. We need to do this job before we can get our Arena license back.

Also, because this mission is being given directly to us by our sponsor, Lana won't be giving us mission info as things develop.

Arriving at the platform, there are five Stinkbug MTs around the area, so there isn't much resistance to deal with. The other AC in the mission area is holed up indoors at the moment and as such isn't in danger of being destroyed.

Once all five MTs are destroyed, Fritz shows himself.

Yep, mission ain't done yet.

A new enemy type appears! The Merman.

This is definitely a unique MT compared to previous ones in the series. During the cutscene, it transforms from a high speed water craft to a regular MT, and it has quite a few weapons that deal considerable damage. It has a dual missile launcher but that can be circumvented pretty easily by staying in very close range, but then you have to deal with the machine guns and slug guns that it also has in its arsenal.

It doesn't last so long as you're quick and efficient with your hits, but it's the only MT of its kind to show up here in this game. So it's still special somewhat. Plus it looks a bit like a miniature version of the Devastator.

Also, another extra detail with this mission is the AC pilot Fritz. After the Merman shows up, he said he was getting out of the area ASAP, but it is possible for the MT to kill him before you finish him off. Saving him shows him boarding the transport along with you out of the mission zone. Otherwise, you'd be the only one leaving. And yes, because all these ACs are registered in the Arena, him dying would also remove him from the Sub-Arena and bring in another Raven.

After that urgent mission, we've received two important messages from different senders.

Sender: Elan Cubis

Hello, my name is Elan Cubis, I'm
the head of development at PROGTECH.
Thank you for your assistance the
other day.

I believe the attack was directed
at our research group. This is a
relatively common occurrence in our
business, but there was one aspect
about it that bothered me.

Specifically, the MT that appeared
from out of the water. It would be
hard, given current technology, to
build an amphibious MT. I know of
no group that has had success.

It's possible a technology lost
during "The Great Destruction" has
been rediscovered. I fear an unknown
organization, possessing advanced
technologies, may be involved.

In an earlier email we received from Lana Nielsen, we were told about PROGTECH's success being due to a particularly brilliant scientist. While there was no name given, Cubis' position as head of development would probably inform he's THAT person responsible for the company's current standing in the corporate world.

Oh yeah, speaking of Lana, we did go on a mission without her knowing before hand. Well...

Sender: Lana Nielsen

As I explained earlier, I am your
RAVENS' NEST contact and the one
who will supply you with your
orders. You will follow the orders
you're given and do as I say!

Even if approached by a sponsor,
you are not to accept any missions
without my approval. Don't let it
happen again! That is all.

Yeah. We were lucky to get off with a warning, but the tone is pretty serious in that message. But at least we got our arena license back. At least she can't take that away, that's up to the sponsor.

Well, let's just get one more mission done for the update, especially since this mission is one that I've been waiting for to show up.

A few surviving members of a successfully splintered terrorist organization are
making a last stand. They're attacking nearby facilities with a giant Tank.

Your mission is the elimination of the terrorist controlled Tank. It is in the
Battleship class and was most likely built before The Great Destruction.

Destroy all Tank defenses and render it inoperable. This will be much different
from fighting ACs or MTs...be careful.

You know what Project Phantasma was missing that the first Armored Core had? A fight with something immensely bigger than you (Phantasma itself wasn't big enough). We get to go up against a giant tank. You could probably think of this as an extremely proto version of an Arms Fort battle in For Answer.

This mission takes its time at the start panning around the tank just to show to difference in scale between it and you.

Once you get into range of the tank, it starts firing its weapons, and they are all very hard hitting. On the sides of the tank are two large missile launchers each, which fire very slow but damaging missiles. Situated at the front and back are grenade launchers that obviously cannot track you upon firing but getting caught by one is devastating. Lastly on the pack is a vertical missile launcher, and the first area of the tank that we're going to tackle.

I ended up expending all my energy meter reaching the top maneuvering around enemy fire, although incurring some splash damage from the large missiles took out the vertical missile launcher. Once at this spot, you get some breathing room.

Next target is the grenade launcher on the back, and then targeting the large missile launchers along the side, all of which are easy to shoot at while standing where the vertical missile launcher was. As cool as this mission's concept is, it's easy to trivialize most of it when you realize that standing right on top of it keeps you safe from the tank's weapons. Especially since we only need to destroy all the tank's weapons to render it unable to continue attacking.

I still challenge myself for a bit by firing at the missile launchers while flying around since it's still very cool to fly around up close and see the scale of this thing.

Lastly, I take some shots at the grenade launcher at the front and finish it with a laser blade strike for good measure.

This mission is still one of my favorites out of the original generation, even once you know what parts need to be destroyed and how simple it is as a result. Still a cool concept, and again it fills a quota that any good Armored Core game should have which is a mandatory mission where you fight something absurdly larger than a 10 meter tall mecha that you're piloting.

More missions incoming for the next main update. The Arena will get more play in due time, once PROGTECH think's we've made enough progress in either area to advance to the big leagues.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

EX Part 2: Reverse Joint Legs

Time for another round of AC battles in the EX Arena. Although the next ladder right after the Humanoid Legs is Four Legs, I'm going to tackle Reverse Joints instead as those are the legs that follow after the regular humanoid type in the garage and shop.

Best way I can summarize this series of fights: First few fights are tough as hell due to being rusty and coming off of playing a different kind of game intensely, thus needing time to readjust. Still got my poo poo together just fine, with the middle becoming weirdly piss easy and the end being a worthy final fight in the category. Now let's go.

The legs we're using have the highest weight capacity of all the reverse joint legs, though it's still lower than what we used for humanoid legs. As such, the arms have also been switched out to alleviate the extra weight up top. Everything else is basically the same as the main build, just with extra air mobility.

Pellen is a multi missile user, and fires them all off whenever he gets the chance early on. Getting hit by these in succession hurts like a truck and can get you killed fast (how my first attempts recording this ended). But once you've dodged them all, or enough that it's sufficient, all he's got left is his handgun. Except trying to shoot a target that doesn't let off the boosters makes for very difficult aiming. I probably would've ran out of ammo in that fight sooner or later had he not kept boosting into the wall, giving me a chance to douse him in plasma.

Even after how rusty I was coming off that fight, I still stuck to the weapon loadout that I would use for the rest of these matches. Only uphill from here.

Large missiles are Strangle's most powerful asset and simultaneously his downfall. The slow speed and turning of these missiles mid flight allows you to manipulate their trajectory easily, getting them to collide and explode nearby for splash damage (even if I get caught in part of the blast itself. It's even better if you trick his AI into firing one off right infront of an obstacle, and it'll shave off a good few thousand AP from him. Constant movement and awareness of his missile's location will lead to victory.

Swimmer is basically Pellen without the multi missiles, while still retaining the constant speed and movement. Except for when he inexplicably stands still allowing him to be shot at multiple times. He has a slug gun on his back, which would require him to stay in place anyway in order to use, but the guy continues to fire the handgun instead. Either way, he's not as lethal, but depending on your ability to hit a moving target he can be just as annoying.

I kind of feel bad for this one because despite some powerful weapons in his arsenal, Pest could barely lift himself back up onto the raised platforms, not to mention his accuracy not being much to write home about. His AC build is actually overweight, though penalties for going into battle like that don't manifest until Nexus where mobility becomes similar to that of being over encumbered in Skyrim. Total weight would still affect it to a degree, but considering the parts he use aren't the heaviest out there, I still find it pitiful he couldn't lift himself up any higher.

Bloom, on the other hand, has no issue flying around all over the place, which is why I ended up fighting him in the garage to counteract that. The guy also is a multi missile user, so despite having a more flashy style than Pest according to his description, he is way more dangerous to fight in an open environment by comparison. Just sticking close and making him waste his missiles is the important thing to focus on early in the fight, afterwards you're pretty much gold.

Halfway up the ladder, and while our descriptions continue to change when reaching certain ranks, it's actually the same as in the Humanoid Legs category. The only difference is them switching out Humanoid with Reverse Joint. You can expect the same once we get to quads and tank tread categories.

Trust pilots an overweight AC and does even less moving around than Pest did. I really can't add more to how this fight went considering the bastard couldn't decided between moving the hell away or using his chain gun while kneeling.

RT lives up to his machine's name sake once by jumping REALLY high to get out of the way of my rifle shots. Before and after that though, he doesn't bother retaliating or boosting around. This game's AI and the order in which you fight opponents can be so uneven at times.

After the last two duds in the ladder, Kroeger actually puts up a decent fight, making use of all his weapons and mobility available to him. Probably just coincidental due to the map I fought him on, but it played out pretty similarly to Moon in the Humanoid Legs category. Kroeger keeps moving to stay out of your line of sight and try attacking from the sides or behind. Not too challenging of a fight this late on, but it's better than essentially standing around taking the hits.

And now, only one remains.

First thing I have to say, I was seriously contemplating fighting this guy in the garage stage but since I already used it twice this update I would try and fight him in a less restrictive environment. Why this exactly matters is that his primary weapons are laser cannon weapon arms, and without anything between him and you to absorb the shots, you'll get wrecked. Because he fires them with reckless abandon.

It's still very possible to deal with him in a large open area, but you need to be constantly on the move and have good control of your AC to avoid those shots. He does alternate between using those and back mounted missiles, but those are nothing to worry about. The slightly raised platform in this stage served as a good way to block some of Dynamite's cannon shots, while still dodging them with very low jumps. The most interesting part about this guy however, is that unlike Ernst in the Humanoid Legs category who was a Human PLUS, or the opponents in this category that were overweight, is that Dynamite is neither of those things. That build he uses for Blockbuster is totally doable and lethal without any extra enhancements. And I should know. I used a similar set up for the latter half of Project Phantasma's Arena, and the result shows.

Also, Dynamite is a returning character from AC1's leader board (though you never encountered him once in the main game). His description in that game still gets across that he's very reckless and wastes more ammo than he makes money mid mission. Thank god for this guy deductions don't exist in the Arena

Another EX Arena ladder completed

And with it comes a new AC part. Naturally, this being the Reverse Joint category, the part in question is a pair of Reverse Joint Legs.

The LB-H230 is basically the closest thing to a heavyweight reverse joint legs part. The first thing that's noticeable is the increased weight capacity at 5124 points, however with this comes increased overall weight. It's slightly slower than other legs in the category, though the thing to worry about with this leg part is that it has the lowest amount of Energy Defense among any of the legs parts. So unless you're going into a mission or AC battle where you only need to worry about shell damage, you might be losing a bit more AP than normal. The leg itself is still pretty unique in that it's heavier and carries more than other reverse joint legs, but it still maintains the benefits that these types of legs hold over the regular humanoid legs.

And once again, here's a more in depth look at what all these advantages and disadvantages of reverse joint legs mean in the grand scheme of things, courtesy of Seiren.

Seiren posted:

Reverse Joint type legs at first glance seem like standard bipedal legs. In several ways, that isn't wrong, but there are some notable differences. They're cheap to buy and repair, drain less energy, have middling-to-poor defenses and load capacity, and low-ish AP. Their mobility on the ground leaves something to be desired, and they suffer in turning speed. And then you hit the jump button, and you go careening into the stratosphere at a single button press. That isn't just for show -- Reverse Jointed legs are exceptionally maneuverable while airborne. Even the heaviest of them (roughly equivalent to a heavy-middleweight biped in weight) are more agile in the air than several types of lightweight bipeds. They are very much an airborne fighter, and they excel at it. A good build with a skilled pilot is unmatched in the sky. Like any other biped, they will need to take a firing stance to use cannons. But you shouldn't use cannons on them anyway, even as Plus. Laser blades aren't so great either -- they're 3rd place overall. They are decently-useful for mid-air blading, however. They track a little better, and their slash is suited for striking enemies just slightly lower than them. The difficulty of such a thing prohibits extensive or exclusive use, and you cannot fire blade-beams while airborne regardless of blade model or Plus status.

Rather than power, you're looking for efficiency with your boosters. The B-T2 or the B-HP25 are solid choices, with the higher-powered B-T2 being better because the HP25, though incredibly efficient, is very slow. (B-T001 is serviceable, of course, being the overall best booster in the game). Being above your opponents has distinct advantages that aren't immediately clear to novices. As any player will tell you, the AI pilots love to jet around somewhere above you and be annoyingly hard to track regardless of their designs. This is the strength of RJ The objective is to stay in the air at some range as directly above them as possible, preferably darting over their head when you think they've drawn a bead. If you're not above your enemies, you're recharging energy to get back up there, or you're floating dangerously close to the upper-ceiling of the combat area (Don't accidentally go out of bounds via skybox!). Floating just over your opponents head moving back and forth over them while staring down at them means you can maintain a lock-on without needing nearly as much turning effort to keep up, especially with Wide & Shallow FCS-types. Meanwhile, they will need to turn a lot just to keep up -- let alone get a good shot on you. Depending on your loadout, you can fly low and peck away with short-to-midrange weapons and be annoyingly hard to hit, you could outrange them with height and utilize long-range weapons with disturbing precision, you could go somewhere in between, and even use any sort of missile effectively. An overlooked weapon, the Mine Dispenser, likely a back-weapon either completely forgotten or tried once and filed under "suck" is best used on RJs, but only at low altitudes. The damage potential is absolutely incredible, capable of shredding the heaviest ACs in seconds...but the tradeoff is that they are annoyingly-hard and very finicky to use effectively.

If the enemy flies up to meet you, you've successfully brought them to fight you on your terms -- where you have a significant mobility advantage and are easily capable of utilizing all axes for evasion unless they too are reverse-jointed. Avoid cannons, even if you're Plus. Their firing angles are limited, they're unable to shoot downward past so many degrees (around 45~55 or so downward) while arm weapons are not limited to such restrictions and can actually fire straight-down. Use fast, solid-round weaponry such as Rifles, Sniper Rifles, or utilize missiles. Certain weapon-arms can be exceedingly effective at further cost to your defenses. Try to avoid energy-based weapons, as your energy should be preserved to stay airborne, or to stay evasive on the ground as you recharge. The Karasawa cannot be overlooked, and if you must use an energy weapon, it should be this or none.

It all sounds gravy, but then you realize something. You have poor defenses, and you're easily staggered. You've got mobility as your primary defense. Being staggered means you're falling. Falling can mean destruction. Missiles are your worst enemy, as even small missiles can bring you out of the sky. It is generally more difficult to avoid missiles coming from range when you're starting off airborne, and while you have great agility, missiles are difficult to evade while staying in the "sweet spot" directly above your enemy. This could open you up to other attacks, and heavy weapons will knock you around like nobody's business, throwing you off and putting you in a dangerous position. You can minimize the chances of this, but few missiles have a small sight for lock-on. Some can target you while you're floating slightly behind targets, and you must be mindful. You have to try to apply missile evasion techniques vertically, which is substantially more difficult than lateral missile evasion. The same principles apply, but are more difficult to implement.

I've heard stories of novices doing awesome things with these, but those are the exception rather than the rule. I'd recommend them for advanced players who are familiar with all kinds of movement and missile evasion techniques, but this feels unfair, as once you get a feel for them, they're not particularly difficult to use well.

Even for myself, remaining airborne and staying effective in this generation of Armored Core is still challenging, regardless of whether you have the reverse joint legs. It all takes practice, but even if you still treat them mostly the same as humanoid legs, you can still get the results you need. Just be sure you're constantly moving and don't get staggered.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Dug my old save for this out of mothballs and... apparently I never beat it, which is weird because I could have sworn I remembered seeing the ending at some point. I have conquered all four of the leg-type arenas in the EX-Arena, though, and I'm at rank 3 in the Main Arena. Gonna have to get used to playing this again. Doesn't help that I keep trying to use the analog sticks on my PS3 controller. drat YOU MUSCLE MEMORY. :argh:

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ArclightBorealis posted:

EX Part 2: Reverse Joint Legs

Pellen is a multi missile user, and fires them all off whenever he gets the chance early on. Getting hit by these in succession hurts like a truck and can get you killed fast (how my first attempts recording this ended). But once you've dodged them all, or enough that it's sufficient, all he's got left is his handgun. Except trying to shoot a target that doesn't let off the boosters makes for very difficult aiming. I probably would've ran out of ammo in that fight sooner or later had he not kept boosting into the wall, giving me a chance to douse him in plasma.

Bloom, on the other hand, has no issue flying around all over the place, which is why I ended up fighting him in the garage to counteract that. The guy also is a multi missile user, so despite having a more flashy style than Pest according to his description, he is way more dangerous to fight in an open environment by comparison. Just sticking close and making him waste his missiles is the important thing to focus on early in the fight, afterwards you're pretty much gold.
A minor correction; the part these two ACs are equipped with isn't a multi-missile, it is in fact the very same Dual Missile picked up way back in Retake Air Cleaner from the first game. It simultaneously launches 5 medium-sized missiles in a single lock-on, and they fire forwards in the shape of an obtuse 'V' (seen very clearly in the fight with Pellen). Due to it launching simultaneous missiles, anti-missile systems are unreliable, though they can usually eat one of them. Very dangerous weapon to see, and it can easily tear any type of AC to shreds because medium missiles are quite strong, but the unit also has low ammo.

quote:

Another EX Arena ladder completed

And with it comes a new AC part. Naturally, this being the Reverse Joint category, the part in question is a pair of Reverse Joint Legs.

The LB-H230 is basically the closest thing to a heavyweight reverse joint legs part. The first thing that's noticeable is the increased weight capacity at 5124 points, however with this comes increased overall weight. It's slightly slower than other legs in the category, though the thing to worry about with this leg part is that it has the lowest amount of Energy Defense among any of the legs parts. So unless you're going into a mission or AC battle where you only need to worry about shell damage, you might be losing a bit more AP than normal. The leg itself is still pretty unique in that it's heavier and carries more than other reverse joint legs, but it still maintains the benefits that these types of legs hold over the regular humanoid legs.
These are an amazing part! They're far too heavy for a lightweight AC, but for middleweight RJ ACs, these work to solve every problem you'd have. They're effectively a straight upgrade to the LB-4401. The two legs will handle similarly, and though H230 is a substantially heavier and drainier, it makes up for that with improvements in all key areas. The biggest boon is the addition of over 600 load capacity, allowing you fit many more parts without too much loss in performance.

Furthermore, I need to correct myself. Reverse-Jointed legs are more stable than average, and are typically more stable than all but heavyweights. I spoke otherwise in that big post, and...well, hey, I hosed up :v:

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

W.T. Fits posted:

Dug my old save for this out of mothballs and... apparently I never beat it, which is weird because I could have sworn I remembered seeing the ending at some point. I have conquered all four of the leg-type arenas in the EX-Arena, though, and I'm at rank 3 in the Main Arena. Gonna have to get used to playing this again. Doesn't help that I keep trying to use the analog sticks on my PS3 controller. drat YOU MUSCLE MEMORY. :argh:
You know what was bad for me? Playing a whole ton of Nexus a couple months ago with the dual analog control scheme, and then going back to these games for the LP. And this was around the time I was finishing Project Phantasma with its Arena, to make matters worse. Lot of dumped recordings that ended in failure due to that period of readjustment.

Seiren posted:

Furthermore, I need to correct myself. Reverse-Jointed legs are more stable than average, and are typically more stable than all but heavyweights. I spoke otherwise in that big post, and...well, hey, I hosed up :v:
Oh well. Happens to the best of us.

I should probably think about going back through all the updates and scrubbing them of any misinformation. I mean, there will always be the thread itself which has the corrections and additional notes, but when it falls into the endless abyss that is the archives, might as well make sure it goes out as best as it can look.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Still not as bad as playing Formula Front and the PSP ports of the 3-series. :colbert:

Aaaaugh. God, the PSP has such a garbage control setup to begin with, and then trying to squeeze an Armored Core game on to it, just Jesus.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Still not as bad as playing Formula Front and the PSP ports of the 3-series. :colbert:

Aaaaugh. God, the PSP has such a garbage control setup to begin with, and then trying to squeeze an Armored Core game on to it, just Jesus.
That's actually why I haven't put Armored Core on my Vita yet. I don't think I could handle a touchpad for those buttons and it would likely make me want to throw the thing across the room.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Part 6: We in the Big Leagues Now
This update's gonna be fairly arena focused, though we'll still be kicking this off with another mission from the campaign.

The requester is Izumo Materials. We've recieved information indicating that a colossal cannon, built during The Great
Destruction
, is in the process of being restored.

Verify this information, and if the reports we've recieved turn out to be true, destroy the cannon before restoration can be
completed.

Izumo Materials, whose emphasis is space development, has plans to launch a satellite.
The cannon is apparently set to target this satellite.

If restoration of the cannon is indeed underway, explosive charges must be set and the cannon
destroyed completely.

Another mission that requires us to destroy something huge, only now we're on a time limit.

This cannon is a large, cylindrical tower that has four levels, and on each level we need to place one bomb on it. All this needs to be done in 5 minutes, which like a lot of missions in this series with time limits, it's more than enough for a skilled player.

The spots are already easy to identify because of the darker grey color, but the game still labels them as "Target" just to be safe.

Also while you're doing all this, 8 Butterfly MTs are constantly barraging you with missiles from all angles. They don't really change their altitude by a large degree, so fighting them from the higher platforms is much preferable to doing it from the bottom of the tower. But this mission doesn't require us to deal with them if we want. Just get the bombs planted.

As you'd expect, the mission is never quite over once you've completed the main objective.

Another Barracuda drops an AC into the mission zone. Time for a battle.

Locagos' AC Toll-Keeper hops around a lot as result of being a reverse joint AC, but thankfully he doesn't go any higher than the second level of the cannon. That said though, his only weapon are the plasma cannon weapon arms, and he's got two ammo magazines equipped to extend his ammo count by 40%. He did keep a wide distance between us however, which makes aiming at him a bit easier as you have more room to follow his movements.

With the enemy AC destroyed, now we can call it a wrap on this assignment.

This mission overall is pretty frantic in a way that I enjoyed, and it's got a bit of a similar vibe to the Destroy Giant Tank mission, in terms of dismantling a powerful weapon of gigantic proportions. Also there is an ending cinematic to this mission where the cannon fires if you fail the mission. Maybe in the post game once all the missions are unlocked I'll show it off.

Now, time to take a new batch of opponents in the Sub-Arena. There are two other missions I could have taken at this point, but I wanted to minimize the amount of Sub Arena fights I'd have to do at once as soon as I completed the campaign, as the list expands in the post game to show ALL possible Ravens.

Evil Kiss' most powerful weapon is the large missile launcher on his back, and when I was doing a recording of this fight, I took too much damage from those missiles that I didn't have much health left to withstand his handgun shots. This is why I stayed far away and pelted him with my back cannon because he only really fired those missiles once I was in a close enough range to him. Misdirecting large missiles can be fun, but there's still a risk of losing a poo poo ton of AP from it. In an open area like this, I didn't want to risk it a second time.

Remember this guy from Assist Marine Lab? Guy has pitiful movement as you would expect from a tank treads AC, and even crazier was that he did not hit me even once. I primarily uses a rocket launcher and bazooka, and against both of those I moved fast enough that they all missed.

Poison Tail makes use of his movement and speed to avoid a lot of shots and get behind me. I almost got a laser blade hit on him before stun locking me out of it, but other than that he doesn't really didn't really do much damage.

I honestly should not have won this fight the way that I did. Bibs makes more use of his AC's mobility than even LD did, which made my back cannon useless for most of the match. Except for the very end when both of us were attempting to out damage each other, and I came out on top with less than 300 AP to spare. Again, there is no way I should've won with the way I was performing this match.

Another quad leg AC that moves all over the place, but still not quite as annoying as the last fight. Plenty of moments where I got some good hits on me, and I did a good job evading his missiles for the most part.

Now, out of these five Arena matches, winning the fight with Bibs earns us another AC part, a right arm weapon.

This is classified as a machine gun due to its form and rate of fire, but the most obvious difference looking at the stats is that it's an energy weapon. It has fairly low energy drain with each shot as well, plus 500 ammo. The attack power though is pretty low, and because it's an energy weapon it pulls its power directly from the AC's generator, so you still have to watch your boosters if you want to use this weapon constantly. It's still very neat, and while I don't use it on missions, it's a thing I've messed around with for fun in the past. Might get some use in future Arena battles.

But first, we've reached the next threshold in our progress, as we've been kicked out of the Arena menu and received a new message.

Here is a request from your sponsor.
Please read the mission description
carefully.

It appears that your skill and
rating as a Raven have increased.
It's just a matter of time before
you'll be allowed to enter
the Arena.

Well, at least this next mission is Lana approved, so there won't be any consequences after the fact.

A Secret Material, developed by PROGTECH, was stolen. We are still investigating, but it appears as though the culprit
may be The Wolf, a ranked AC sighted nearby.

The last known location of the thief was in the vicinity of Fort Garden. You mission is to search the Abandoned Mine and
recover the stolen material.

As this request originates with your Arena sponsor, and is a priority mission, your Arena challenging rights have been
temporarily suspended.

This material we're retrieving really has no importance to the story or anything, though because this is a request coming from our sponsors, the reward has to be something good.

This level is incredibly vertical. Lots tall shafts connected by small corridors in the walls.

A drop down the first one brings us close to a room with an elevator that brings us even further underground.

I like this little detail of the large trucks parked on each level of the shaft as you descend. It helps to remind you that this is an environment designed for humans and large robots to be operating in simultaneously.

Alas, that is the only elevator we will be riding this mission. The rest is a lot of falling.

There are multiple exits out of a vertical shaft, although some of these will lead to dead ends.

Along the way, Spatula MTs and Float Suits will try to impede our progress, the latter being especially annoying (both to keep track of and get a picture of for this update. These things aren't MTs as much as they are flying powered armor, which is why they're so small. There was a similar variant to these powered armor suits that showed up in a mission in Armored Core 1, though they weren't able to fly indefinitely.

Eventually, we'll reach an exit out of the steel corridors into a large cavern where our target awaits.

The pilot of the Wolf, Prime, does not gently caress around at all despite being a slow tank AC. All of his weapons hit hard, inflicting splash damage as well if taking a direct hit wasn't bad enough. The only sure fire way to survive is to move around a lot, unless you build your AC with a gently caress ton of shell defenses to deal with it. And even then it's still devastating.

His color scheme also helps him blend in somewhat with the environment, which would've made this fight more nightmarish if the game was designed with manual aiming for everything.

The Wolf has been put down, and we only lost around a thousand AP from that encounter. Not to bad, I'd say.

With the container retrieved, we complete the mission and we are now returned our Arena privileges once again.

Well, that and an even better reward from our sponsor.

Congratulations. Your registration
is complete, and you're hereby
certified as a contender in the
Arena.

Usually, a potential candidate must
wait until a contender leaves the
Arena, but an opening was available
just in time for your registration.

Concentrate your efforts on the
Arena for the time being, but keep
in mind that we may still require
your assistance in further missions.

As a gift, please accept this
50000C and an AC Part
developed by our company.

Good luck to you in your
conquest of the Arena.

So we got money, a new weapon, AND we finally challenge the actual ranked Arena ACs in battle. Awesome.

That second paragraph about an opening just happening to become available in the main Arena was no doubt due to me murdering Prime who was ranked 14th in the Arena. Whether it was something planned on the company's part or arranged by the Nest, either way it's awfully convenient for us. But I'm not complaining.

This is another weapon type that typically uses solid ammunition and this version is an energy variant. However, unlike the energy machine we got earlier, this one was TREMENDOUS fire power and incredibly long range. Both are actually greater than any single right arm weapon in the game. What does come as a downside however is the ammo count. Ten shots makes it very inadequate for actual mission use, and even in the Arena you have to be a master marksman to make every shot count. Oh well, gotta have something to balance it out. Still very impressive regardless.

So we got access to the Main Arena, however we can still challenge anyone in the Sub-Arena if we so choose. But because of our promotion, our Arena profile only shows up in the main ladder now and not the Sub-Arena. Still, huge progress has been made, and as PROGTECH said we should focus our efforts on climbing the ranks. And that's what we'll do in the next main update.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I finished reading your LP of the first game and now I'll start reading this one. Thanks for LPing these games.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Wow, I didn't realize it had been so long since there had been an update to this LP. I'm really enjoying it and hope it continues!

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Man, it has been less than 2 months since I last updated this thing. Long story short, lot of real world poo poo mixed with issues in preparing the next update (not technical issues with recording, just frustration during a part in the game) had me shelve it for a while until I could finish this summer semester. I'm still sitting on raw footage from when I last played the game, but I just need to edit it and put together the next part. Once my finals are done later this week, the LP will resume and hopefully I can get back on track to a schedule of one update per week.

I will become the Master of Arena. No matter how long it takes.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Part 7: We hosed Up...

So last update we got our license to compete in the actual Arena. It only holds the top 15 ranked Ravens (including us), so it shouldn't take long to get to Hustler One, especially compared to the 50 rank Arena ladder in Project Phantasma.

For this next set of fights, I figured I'd mix up my weapon load out just a bit. For start, I've swapped out the KARASAWA for the WG-MG500/E energy machine gun. Yes, I'm still using an energy weapon as my primary, but this one at least is one of the new weapons exclusive to this game, and it is still one of a kind. And then I swapped out my shoulder cannon for the WM-X201 multi missile launcher. Because multi missiles kick rear end.

With those preparations now made, let's get going.

Main Arena Ranks #14 - 10

Reward: 50000 C

First opponent you face in the main Arena uses the KARASAWA of all things, and moves around a hell of a lot. As always, it's easy to lose a ton of health against an AC with this weapon, which I ended up losing a good few thousand AP because I wanted to nail him with some missiles. The rifle did a good enough job cleaning it up, though.

Reward: 59000 C

A reverse joint AC, so as such it's got vertical mobility that you want to limit. It's back missile launcher has the most potential for damage, but he only really fired it once as opposed to trying to waste it all like some ACs are fond of doing with their most powerful arsenal. Also kind of pathetic for him that I got as many laser blade hits on him as I did.

Reward: 63000 C
Special Part: WX-C/4

While this guy starts with sub 7000 AP, he makes up for it with lots movement and evasive skills. It also gave me plenty of good opportunities to use my missiles, which could take about 500-600 AP or so off of him. Though the battle got especially close when I expended my energy and was stuck recharging. I was indeed very lucky to have my energy restored and finish him off with my health in the red. A pretty good fight, I'd say.

Reward: 68000 C

This guy on any other map was a pain in the rear end to deal with, as Spin Kid uses a reverse joint AC and loves to hop around. Unless of course you fight him in the parking garage, in which case you can get tons of easy hits on him as soon as he lands from a jump. Not to mention laser blades deal especially big damage against his AC.

Reward: 74000 C

This fight, especially on this map, involves a lot of moving and re positioning because Fayde loves to charge at you. Either to boost right past you, or go in for a melee attack, though the latter is rather rare. It's still deadly though, as his blade of choice is the Moonlight so it is especially devastating. And while he uses his boosters to get around quickly, there are times where I believe he does use up his entire energy meter and has to make do without it. But since his weapons aren't tied to it his attack ability isn't lessened, unlike me.

Defeating Sherbert nets us another unlockable weapon, the WX-C/4. It's a double back energy weapon that fires four lasers at once. In terms of stats though, this actually has the highest single attack power of a double back weapon, in addition to fastest reload time. It does have considerable energy drain to balance it out, but it's a nice weapon to have if you can manage your meter effectively and like using double back weapons.

Anyway, after reaching Rank 10 in the Arena, we get kicked out and are given a new mail in our inbox.

We have an urgent request regarding
a mission for you. Please read the
request description for more info.

Another message directly from Progtech. Sounds pretty serious.

An emergency situation has arisen. Our Laboratory at the center of the city is under attack by unknown forces.

The invaders have divided into several small groups and are attacking via different routes. We assume their target is Elan Cubis' Lab.

There may be some connection between these units and the ones that attacked out Marine Lab, but we aren't sure.

All 4 Gates leading to the Laboratory are located in Block 7. These key locations must be defended.

So another urgent mission request from our sponsor, being sent directly by them, and we can't ignore it because our Arena registration is revoked once again.

I get the feeling that something bad will happen if we go through with this mission, but gently caress it, game's not gonna keep moving forward till I do something and this is the only option.

Right from the get go, we gotta rush to Gate 3 as enemies are beginning to attack it.

The main enemies you face in this mission are Wasps, reverse joint MTs and there are always two attacking a single gate at a time. They go down pretty quickly with our regular loadout, four shots from either our back cannon or the KARASAWA. Once Gate 3 is cleared, it's on to the next one

While I started taking them out with my rifle, I switched to the back cannon for most of the enemies at Gates One and Two. The reason is because there's a surprise waiting for us at Gate Four.

NINE-BALL!!

Yes, this is our very first actual fight with Nine-Ball in this game, and while not fighting at his fullest capability, he has no problem firing missiles to stunlock you with impunity. Still, we're not in a large vertical shaft, so it's not that hard for me to keep a lock on him and pelt him with KARASAWA shots.

After taking enough shots, Nine-Ball bails and the mission is completed. Cost for AC repairs barely has any effect on the payout for this job (or the total amount of credits in our account).

After that event, we got two new messages now.

You've saved me once again. Please
allow me to offer my humble thanks
to you for your bravery.

I've done some research on that
mysterious MT, but so far I have
only come up empty-handed.

I thought I was at a dead end, but
the AC that appeared this time was
Nine-Ball, correct? I've decided to
conduct more research along these
lines.

My understanding is that some bad
blood exists between you and Nine-
Ball...I will keep you informed if
I should learn anything new.

Oh yeah, that amphibious MT. Though this is basically the last time that's going to be mentioned in any sort of capacity, we at least have someone at our sponsor willing to look for more details about Nine-Ball. Though the next message is, well, a bit worrisome.

You were warned not to accept
any direct requests without
my approval.

I am no longer acting as your
contact. In fact, I'm cutting
off all support to you. Good
luck. You'll die soon enough.

You know, if what I did was really that serious and against the rules, you would think that more severe measures would be employed like, I don't know, revoking my status as a Raven and not giving me anymore access to all services provided by the Nest. Just no missions but I still get Arena access? Sounds like a bunch of bull-

Oh...

...she wasn't kidding.

Well, hope you're all up for a ton of Arena battles the next few updates, because what the gently caress else are we gonna do?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Daaamn. That's gotta be one of the rare times I've seen a quest giver so openly cut you off... I take it it's completely unavoidable, and part of the plot?

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

JamieTheD posted:

Daaamn. That's gotta be one of the rare times I've seen a quest giver so openly cut you off... I take it it's completely unavoidable, and part of the plot?
Yep, it's unavoidable. Game on and off will revoke your ability to compete in the Arena so that it can get you to focus on a story mission, and the reverse happens as well but that only really happens if you decide to just focus on the available missions and happen to clear them all at the time they're given. Considering this game's attempts to make sure you don't spend all your time exclusively on one mode, this moment where the game explicitly stops giving you new missions I found especially impressive at the time. Even if I already have every AC part I could need and more money than I know what to do with.

But since the plot will go on at some point, missions will still be given down the line, just only story critical ones that involve Progtech asking us to bail them out of some mess.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I think that is the biggest :aaaaa: oh holy gently caress what moment in an Armored Core game in terms of gameplay/story integration. Your operator just pretty much curses you out and leaves you stranded half way through the game.

The next closest thing I can think of after that is the thing that happens at the start of the endgame in Nexus, but even that didn't affect you as much as this does.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

EX Part 3: Four Legs

Now, if you were wondering why exactly it took over two months for me to put out the last update and this one...well, this is the reason. The Four Legs Arena category for whatever reason chose to be a royal pain in my loving rear end thanks to a few rough battles. How rough exactly? To the point that even when I had a strategy that was efficient as possible, it was still not a sure fire win.

Eh, whatever, it's done now and you all get to see the takes in which I didn't get completely destroyed. Here's the Four Legs Arena category

So here is our build for this category. With the quad legs and weapon arms I'm using, I've switched to a heavier core with tons of AP to compensate, as weapon arms have little health. Though there are going to be some more modifications as this update goes on.

A bit of a simple start to this category. Micro Satellite is equipped with the grenade launcher weapon arms, but he's not the best when it comes to aiming them, and most of the time he just circles around the arena with an occasional hop. Getting his AC during the jump is a better guarantee for damage than just trying to chase after him and firing your weapons.

One AC down, eight more to go. Still gonna be really rough in the middle, though.

Somewhat trickier to deal with than the last guy. Does a lot more jumping around and circles you a lot more closely. His machine gun and missiles aren't a huge issue so long as you keep moving parallel and ahead of the direction Orbit goes in.

Kind of a step back mobility wise compared to Orbit. This match really just came down to circling around the guy and firing well timed energy shots. Depiction's AC does have his own laser weapon arms but he really didn't make much use of them outside of the start.

Unfortunately, the easiness stops right loving there.

Here we have rear end in a top hat #1 in the Four Legs category. Solitude uses the same laser rifle that we used all the way back in Project Phantasma, and he is a goddamn good shot with it, all while staying on the move. The real challenge for me was the management of my energy meter, as I need to deal as much damage as possible from my weapon arms but it drains very quickly. Even with trying to mix up my movement so that I could minimize getting hit, a lot of it still came down to luck. Some shots I managed to do exceptional damage as both laser beams managed to hit Solitude on point near the end. If I kept whiffing anymore shots, this take probably would've ended in failure as well.

And here we have rear end in a top hat #2, and arguably a much bigger problem than the last guy. Proverbio's AC is equipped with large missiles, which if you do not know are extremely slow, very powerful, and very good at tracking you if you don't know how to properly manipulate their trajectory. The latter, unfortunately, is something I've been lacking in and had been a large source of frustration for me when recording this. Because I had better faith in my weapon strength and (sorta decent) aiming ability, I swapped out the laser cannons for grenade launcher weapon arms because I needed that extra attack power plus splash damage. Interestingly, once he expends all his large missiles, Proverbio becomes largely harmless and then it becomes an issue of giving chase and making sure you can continue to hit him consistently.

So that's two out of the three biggest assholes in this category dealt with. We get a little bit of a reprieve for the following few ranks, thankfully.

Following the nightmares that were Solitude and Proverbio, Lynx Minx is a breath of fresh air if only because of how simple her behavior is. She moves a lot slower than the last couple opponents and isn't the best at dealing with the player circling around her. Her bio does say she prefers wide areas with little obstacles, but considering we're fighting her in an environment as constraining as this parking garage, we definitely have the advantage.

Also a fun fact, Lynx Minx is a Raven that was featured on the leaderboard in the very first Armored Core game. Her bio back then was slightly different but still communicated the same thing here, and her AC name back then was called Pretty Kitty. Now, however, it's just Kitten. I honestly liked the original name more.

Karl's a rocket user, so the usual tactics of strafing back and forth to make those shots miss applies here. Not too hard to hit him either as his movements aren't quite as fast or erratic.

This guy would've been listed as another rear end in a top hat in the Four Legs category (especially with him having a large missile launcher), but I got rather lucky with this fight as I had to do very little retakes, and the one where I finally won I got lucky with him going up the ramp into that little alcove. With the only direction he had to go being towards me, I got a lot of free shots to take him down. In other situations, he'd be using his missiles about as frequently if not a little bit less than Proverbio.

This is it. Rank #2. Just one more fight and this category will be over and done with.

This is rear end in a top hat #3, being at the top of the ladder you'd expect him to be pretty tough. Tall Spot isn't a large missile user, but he is incredibly mobile, jumps a hell of a lot, never moves in the same predictable line, and is a really good shot with his machine gun that can rip an AC to pieces if they don't break lock. It took a lot of failed attempts, but the solution (and even then it wasn't foolproof) I ultimately came to was to fight him at his own game. Went back to regular arms and equipped the same machine gun as Tall Spot while still keeping the back laser cannon. I ended up switching between the two with the intent of using most of my energy from the cannon, and then use the machine gun's rapid fire to deal continuous damage as I recharged. Unfortunately, I had little luck hitting him consistently with the gun, but the cannon landed enough hits each time that I more often than not was still ahead of him in terms of AP. Still, this is very much a battle of attrition that can go very badly if you're not on top of everything. Where you're aiming, where you're moving, where Tall Spot is at any given point. It's a very difficult fight, but since it's the #1 rank AC in this category, it's a better fit than having 6 and 5 be loving roadblocks.

And that's it. We're now the champion of the Four Legs Arena category.

And for all that suffering, we've unlocked a new leg part in this category.

The LF-TR-0 is a very sleek looking leg part, and is actually the fastest leg part in the game. Yes, not just for quad legs, but for all leg categories this one dominates everything in speed. The downside to this however is that it has the lowest stability among all leg parts, so with this you can move really fast but get knocked around real easily by anything. It also has rather low AP, so this further emphasizes this part's use in highly mobile builds that try to dodge around any and all ordinance as possible.

Also, because we cleared out yet another leg specific category in the EX Arena, here's another Seiren effort post covering in more detail about the quad legs category.

quote:

Quadruped, Four-Leg type, "Spider Legs"
There are four easily notable features about this type.
One, they all have a low load capacity.
Two, they're all very quick on the ground.
Three, they're extremely taxing on Energy, often draining double what other parts would.
Four, they're very heavy even though they have high speed.

While it may seem odd that four robotic legs carry less than two, it sort-of makes sense when you understand that the Core parts are not directly supported by the legs, they are all off center and there is empty space directly underneath, unlike the bipedals. This leads into an interesting note about their size and profile -- where bipeds tend to be tall and narrow, quads are shorter and wide, making for a larger, but shorter target. At close ranges, this becomes important as some weapons that would otherwise hit can actually fire directly over their heads.

These types are the ultimate choice for ground-based warfare. Similar to Reverse-Joints being exceptionally agile in the air, these are about the opposite of that. Their standard jumping ability is surprisingly average, being similar to lighter bipeds. All of them are naturally very fast on the ground, meeting and exceeding boosted movement from some many biped-types, and all of them are faster than standard walk/run speed of all other types, often flying in the face of the actual "movement speed" statistic. Perhaps because of this, they cannot effectively perform a boost-dash themselves, as it'll cause them to go airborne instead. Yet this can still be advantageous, as long they don't stay airborne for long and stay near the ground, their momentum from standard movement carries with them to move even faster, until the momentum from standard movement bleeds off, anyhow. Another detail is that this type can utilize back-mounted cannons on the move without Human Plus upgrades, however they can only do so while on the ground. Considering that this is where they should be fighting, and that cannons have blind angles below them, that isn't as much of a negative as one would think. They also get to share a unique attack motion for laserblades; instead of slashing, they stab forward with them, which actually results in higher damage as the blade is striking the target for a longer period of time. While they don't have enough legs to truly be a Spider, and that the movement of their legs is more of a hovering, floaty-thing, the comparison is apt. Add cannons and a spider will have a nasty bite. Add proper thrust and the spider will make a series of evasive short-hops to evade and confuse predators. Spin large webs of missiles to force enemies to fight on your terms -- the ground. Just like real spiders. Hence the nickname of "Spider Legs".

Like most types, they have their downsides. They're a big target with a large profile, made even worse when targeted from above or below. Steps can be taken to mitigate an airborne attack, but there's little they can do to targets beneath them. Stay on the ground. Quads are pretty terrible for platforming, or anything to do with airborne maneuvers. But don't let the low load capacity fool you -- even the lightest of the quads are heavy, equivalent to the heavier middleweight bipedals. Likely due to the weight, and having twice as many legs, the drain on Energy is also very high -- the highest in the game, in fact. All quads are require vast amounts of energy from generators, and with a lesser generator, its quite easy to go over the cap even if you're not using the drainiest parts. Not only are they hard to lift, but they'll drain your bar quickly, and the subsequent recovery of said bar will be much slower. It doesn't help that, aside from their low-altitude boost-hops, they handle like a tugboat in the air. Speaking of air, since they're are a bigger AC by nature, it also means airborne enemies have an easier time hitting you, even with short-hop evasion patterns. Just to hammer the point hard, they are exceedingly bad when airborne after their ground-based momentum is gone. Their mobility advantage is taken away from them, they require too much energy for air-based antics, they're heavy to the point where their rising ability suffers greatly, and they cannot fire their cannons. Most of which are heavy, and difficult to fit on the poor load capacity. They're even worse than reverse-joints in that respect, and the heaviest, drainiest, biggiest set can only carry 5000 units whatever measurement of weight they use in Armored Core-land. I can't stress enough how terrible they are while in the air. If I'm remembering correctly, cannon use is completely disabled in the air even with human plus upgrades! But checking on that would require me to actually boot up the game, start a new file, and build a cannon-quad to test that again, which I am unfortunately too lazy to actually do to verify for sure.

Defensively, I've already talked about their mobility potential, suck at air and good at ground, but how do they fare when they start eating bullets? Not well, actually, but not as bad as one would think. Their armor is not paper-thin like reverse-joints and other lightweights. Even the smallest and lightest quads have higher solid round defenses than the smallest and lightest bipedals, but all types of quads have a relatively low defense vs. solid round weaponry. Luckily for them, most of the really damaging stuff, like bazooka rounds, grenades, missiles, and rockets can be evaded, but those little plinks and pokes from small, difficult-to-evade weaponry such as rifles, machineguns, and hand guns will add up to cause severe damage if something isn't done about it. You might have noticed I didn't really say much about energy based weapons, because they generally perform quite well against them. Only the most e-defense-specialized ACs will outperform quadrupeds when taking fire from lasers and plasma. Due to their floaty nature on the ground, high-stagger weapons will push them around quite easily, impairing accuracy and leaving them vulnerable.

The key for these is to think like a spider. Stay on the ground, make quick, short hops for evasion, spin webs made of missiles to keep the enemy grounded, and bite hard when the opportunity presents itself. Don't use low-power, efficient boosters. Ideally they should move as fast as possible during short hops. While weaponry is the true determiner of your ideal range, a quad can effectively fight from any range from anywhere except in the sky. Keep in mind though, that it is not wise to plant yourself face-first into machineguns or high-stagger weaponry like handguns, they will shred quads. It is also not wise to enter battle without some type of missiles. It is likely best to equip for all ranges. While airborne targets can be dealt with sans missiles, it certainly makes the task far easier. I cannot recommend them for novices, and I cannot recommend them for middling pilots either. It takes a lot of practice to get a good feel for their rather unique mobility performance, and breaking the habit of boost-dashing everywhere can be difficult. It takes a good sense to effectively use the large cannons they can mount, as does being mindful of range when using missiles in general. While flying is a fun and very tempting option, the sky is not a good place for a spider. Ravens, after all, will eat spiders.

The videos this update definitely show off the ground mobility potential of quad leg ACs as described above. Even with powerful energy weapons you gotta get that angle right so the blast doesn't just completely miss.

Oh, and again, gently caress large missiles. gently caress having to fight against that bullshit.

Hopefully the tank treads category goes a lot smoother than this did for me.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Does the player's Armored Core mech have a different description on the leg-part-restricted arenas when viewed in Read Only mode that reflects the fact that the player's ineligible to compete until they change the part appropriately?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I imagine Four Legs lets you load more weight on, or maneuver faster? What's the benefit over two legs/reverse joints?

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Does the player's Armored Core mech have a different description on the leg-part-restricted arenas when viewed in Read Only mode that reflects the fact that the player's ineligible to compete until they change the part appropriately?
The leg-specific arenas are separate from the main-game. Your standing there has nothing to do with these.
e: sorry, misread from being in a hurry. as far as i know, there's no difference in the flavor text

Glazius posted:

I imagine Four Legs lets you load more weight on, or maneuver faster? What's the benefit over two legs/reverse joints?
In short, they have higher mobility, firing stability, and are mobile with cannons while on the ground. They make good missile platforms, long-range specialists, or hit-and-run style ACs by making use of their innate speed and can outrun many ACs without engaging boosters, saving on energy, and relying on short hops to evade danger.

quote:

Now, if you were wondering why exactly it took over two months for me to put out the last update and this one...well, this is the reason. The Four Legs Arena category for whatever reason chose to be a royal pain in my loving rear end thanks to a few rough battles. How rough exactly? To the point that even when I had a strategy that was efficient as possible, it was still not a sure fire win.
Glad to see it's forcing you to improve, but I do agree that the quad-leg arena is a royal pain. The Caterpillar arena is different, and arguably worse in a different way. Try out the energy slug gun you received in Project Phantasma (iirc it's WC-SPGUN). It would've demolished all your trouble spots in the quad arena, and if you can close distance + recognize close-range threats, it'll help you here as well.

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 18, 2015

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Seiren posted:

Glad to see it's forcing you to improve, but I do agree that the quad-leg arena is a royal pain. The Caterpillar arena is different, and arguably worse in a different way. Try out the energy slug gun you received in Project Phantasma (iirc it's WC-SPGUN). It would've demolished all your trouble spots in the quad arena, and if you can close distance + recognize close-range threats, it'll help you here as well.
Thanks, I'll be keeping these tips in mind. I just wrapped up recording footage for the next main part so I've yet to start the tank arena category. I can only hope it goes as smooth as possible.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Seiren posted:

In short, they have higher mobility, firing stability, and are mobile with cannons while on the ground. They make good missile platforms, long-range specialists, or hit-and-run style ACs by making use of their innate speed and can outrun many ACs without engaging boosters, saving on energy, and relying on short hops to evade danger.
I have a huge soft spot for quads, but I have to disagree about the mobility. While quads do have a very high base ground speed, it's not as fast as what most bipeds can do when engaging boosters. Correct me if I'm wrong - it's been a long time since I played the gen 1 AC games - but I'm pretty sure quads lack the ability to do a horizontal boost along the ground, and also can't jump while moving like bipeds can. Instead, if you hit jump/boost while moving, quads fire their boosters and rise into the air a bit but, crucially, don't get a sharp change in velocity from doing so. It feels like they are less effective at rapidly changing speed or direction, which is what's important when it comes to dodging fire and breaking your opponent's lock on you. This only gets worse if they get into the air above you, as your large footprint makes you easier to hit from above.

That said, some of the back-mounted cannon weapons are really powerful and being able to fire those while moving is a huge advantage at times. I think my usual loadout in AC1 (for any mission that didn't involve an serious AC fight) was the heavy quad legs that Arc's rocking in those arena videos, plasma cannon and chaingun on the shoulders used as primary weapons, and the dual plasma gun arms for when things had to die NOW. Strafing things with the chaingun is amazingly satisfying, as is overkill with the dual plasma guns.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

I have a huge soft spot for quads, but I have to disagree about the mobility. While quads do have a very high base ground speed, it's not as fast as what most bipeds can do when engaging boosters.
While the end-results always depend on the parts used, a moving quad can outpace a boosting biped somewhere around the heavier side of middleweights. Remember, your actual speed isn't based on just the legs, but also the total weight of the AC. The lightest combat-capable quad (that is, something you could actually use and has more than one weapon) is really fast. Easily fast enough to overtake boosting bipeds that lean towards the heavier end. The heaviest quad can still outrun the heaviest biped. To be totally fair, all bipeds can exceed quads if you slap the highest power boosters on them, but that speed won't be sustained for very long. On another note, quads will also move at full-speed when backpedaling. I probably shouldn't have said "many" in that summary, though, and the situations where it becomes relevant are rare.

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong - it's been a long time since I played the gen 1 AC games - but I'm pretty sure quads lack the ability to do a horizontal boost along the ground, and also can't jump while moving like bipeds can. Instead, if you hit jump/boost while moving, quads fire their boosters and rise into the air a bit but, crucially, don't get a sharp change in velocity from doing so. It feels like they are less effective at rapidly changing speed or direction, which is what's important when it comes to dodging fire and breaking your opponent's lock on you. This only gets worse if they get into the air above you, as your large footprint makes you easier to hit from above.
I'm going to quote a relevant snippet from the large text-chunk I made about quads some time ago in the thread:

quote:

...they cannot effectively perform a boost-dash themselves, as it'll cause them to go airborne instead. Yet this can still be advantageous, as long they don't stay airborne for long and stay near the ground, their momentum from standard movement carries with them to move even faster, until the momentum from standard movement bleeds off...
I actually have to correct myself here again, since I recently booted up the game for the first time in a long while. There is a definite increase in movement speed once they engage booster thrust, and it doesn't "bleed off" -- it stays consistent for as long as boosters are active. Course, you still want to stay low, but you can very quickly change location, and easily move quickly enough to defeat FCS shot prediction. The increase is much more noticeable when moving laterally. It isn't like quick-boost in AC4/AC5, though, if that's what you thought I meant. Furthermore, no types of leg can perform a jump while moving, and all types but Caterpillars have a Jump Function. Jump button is the same as boost button; if pressed while moving, bipeds will start a boost-dash, and go airborne with a 2nd press. Quads and Caterpillar types will simply go airborne on the first.

You're not at all wrong when you say they have a harder time sharply changing speed and direction, because they do. But the thing is, they aren't meant to be able to do those things. Quads have an entirely different movement paradigm from bipeds, and this necessitates an alternate style of play where you utilize the momentum to stay fast & low, using those "hops" to both increase speed and dodge attacks. They can sort of compensate by re-engaging their boosters in a different direction upon landing (as long as you don't land hard, that is), but there's still a notable delay in doing so.

Also, I bought Fraps, but I'm pretty loving clueless when it comes to making videos. I tried it out by recording a game of Heroes of the Storm, but it ended up being a ridiculously unusable 25gb. So if there's any advice on how to make them smaller, I can maybe do some demonstrations of some of these things I talk about from time-to-time.

e: after reading some quality tutorials, i learned the basics of video. maybe i can do something sometime!

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 23, 2015

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh snap, I had no idea that you could manoeuvre quads like that! Come to think of it, it's probably because I went mad at the idea of being able to run-and-gun with shoulder cannons that I'd weigh my quad down with as many heavy weapons as I could, plus the heavy core for durability.
Full speed backpedalling is something I'd never noticed either, but that would make a huge difference dealing with assholes trying to get around to your flank or rear.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

So in addition to Windows Movie Maker continuing to be a pain in the rear end trying to get it recognize the video file, I just realized looking at the resolution that I forgot to turn off the resolution downscale setting in OBS (I had left it on for a side project I was doing earlier in the week), so instead of 640x480, it's 424x320. And now I get to re scale all my screenshots so that they're consistent with the rest of the updates.

Me and my loving dumbass mistakes...

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

I wanted to wait until after the next update to post this, but, I'm riding a high after a series of several successful video recording tests. So for the next plunge into the deep end, I'm planning to run a stream of all three of these games in order* over the upcoming weekend** (August 28~30) if all goes well. The plan is for live commentary***, take suggestions on builds (within reason, and with option of override for particular missions) from chat/viewers, 100% all three games, achieve Rank 1 in all arenas, and do so without going Human Plus. I plan to finish before the end of the weekend, but would continue for as long as it takes to complete them all. I'm still working out a few kinks with it, I'm still very new to being able to show the internet moving pictures having a good enough PC to get into it. Early tests are promising.

*There may also be some surprises along the way
**Schedule subject to change based on a good time for me to dedicate large blocks of time to play videogames for the internet
***Commentary may be boring/dead/unnecessary/anything that can go wrong, will

It's still in the planning phase, so it could be postponed this until after the LP is over if ArclightBorealis wills it. Might be better timing that way. Just thought I'd share this a little while in advance.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Seiren posted:

It's still in the planning phase, so it could be postponed this until after the LP is over if ArclightBorealis wills it. Might be better timing that way. Just thought I'd share this a little while in advance.
I think postponing it until after I show the final boss and first credit sequence would be smart, which will be a few main parts from now and I want to give that moment some special attention when the time comes. All the post game content is gonna take me a while to get through anyway, so doing the streaming thing after that would be a good time.

Next part coming up later today. Finally got those technical issues sorted out.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

ArclightBorealis posted:

I think postponing it until after I show the final boss and first credit sequence would be smart, which will be a few main parts from now and I want to give that moment some special attention when the time comes. All the post game content is gonna take me a while to get through anyway, so doing the streaming thing after that would be a good time.

Next part coming up later today. Finally got those technical issues sorted out.
Sounds good. I just ran another test-stream and I'm dropping frames everywhere, did much worse than yesterday's test.

Time to upgrade my internet! :v:

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Part 8: Life Without Nest Support

So as we saw the end of last update, our support from Lana Nielsen has been officially severed. No new missions coming in from her. What's a Raven like me supposed to do now?

Kick more giant robot rear end in the Arena. Only gotta fight everyone else above us for another shot at Nine-Ball, so let's go. Not holding anything back with these laser arms.

Main Arena Ranks #9 - 7

Reward: 78000 C

The Double Take has got some impressive weapons in the form of a back laser cannon and linear rifle, the majority of which it uses the laser cannon similarly to how I tend to use it. Although after having gone through the hell that was the Four Legs Arena on the game's second disc, beating this guy with a leg type I'm most comfortable with served as a little bit of catharsis. Even with the few thousand points of damage taken it isn't that hard to stay on top of him.

Reward: 83000 C

The Charger's biggest threat are the gatling arm cannons, which combined with his tendency to go airborne and, well, "charge" at you becomes extremely tricky to deal with, hence why I fell back on the parking garage stage. And even then I only got out of there I alive with only 600+ AP remaining. I was firing blindly in a bit of a panic because I thought the fight would be a failure, but hooray for splash damage!

Reward: 89000 C

Carson's behavior with the Albatross is very interesting as it is very clear the developers set the distance slider for his behavior to far away as much as humanely possible. He stays true to his description and will rip you apart with the FINGER and other weapons in his arsenal once you've expended your ammo. Or he'll use them randomly whenever you get too close. This particular map saved me some of the hassle that comes with chasing him because the open green field with trees is actually a mine field, and when you can lead your opponents to land on a mine and blow themselves up (or set off surrounding mines as well), you can cut their health down pretty quick.

Now, you might have noticed during the last two matches I swapped out my back mounted laser cannon for something different. Upon Defeating Brothers, this is the item that you earn and I decided to give it a test run against Pascal and Carson. The results were very evident I had clearly never used it before, but hey you gotta give me points for actually doing different things every once in a while, right?

The item in question is the WM-X15-EX, a weapon that is described in game as a Plasma Dispenser and is the only one of its type in the game. It fires bolts of Plasma like a mortar shell, firing upwards with a trajectory and landing on the ground to deal damage to anything in its radius. Naturally, a vertical weapon would be very useless on something like the parking garage arena, but even without ceilings this weapon still requires a fair amount of knowledge and skill to use properly. Its place in the inventory selection when in the garage is sandwiched between the various rocket weapons, which do not have lock on capability and require users to lead their shots in order to hit their targets. In the case of the Plasma Dispenser, the trick is more in knowing the range that the shots fire and how you can also use your position in the air to even further influence it. It's challenging for players that are used to weapons with lock on targeting, but if used effectively, a single direct hit from a plasma shot is almost equal to a single shot from the KARASAWA.

Anyway, never mind that, we've been kicked back out of the Arena after only 3 rounds as we got a new message in our inbox.

We have an urgent request regarding
a mission for you. Please read the
request description for more info.

Yep, even with no more mission report coming from Lana, our sponsors over at PROGTECH are more than willing to give us some extra work (by taking away our Arena license as incentive to get poo poo done).

We're requesting you to assist our transportation team. They are now moving from the Marine Laboratory to our HQ, but
they have come under attack

The transportation team is being guarded by our Escort Team, but they are being overwhelmed by the enemy's forces.

You must be careful...all units, both friend and foe, send the same signal. You'll need to make visual contact before
initiating an attack. Otherwise you might hit our team.

Attacking blindly may lead to friendly fire casualties. Be selective and save as many of our units as
you can.

Remember way back when in the first Armored Core when there was mission involving the Isaac City Guard, and how you had to deal with walker MTs in the sewers while covering the asses of the guard's walker MTs? Remember how fun that was when an enemy managed to blow up one of your allies but they were still all so spread out.

Depending on how good of a player you are, this mission could end up being way worse or way better than the old one I had just described. The difference comes in whether or not you have the right approach and can execute it quickly. Which you shall see.

Right from the start, we see our first friendly Stinkbug coming under attack by three enemies, all to the left of the player's start position.

We got three units we need to protect, but as word from experience, it's drat close to impossible to keep all three alive so just focus on the grey Stinkbugs in finishing them as quickly as possible.

Clear out the first half of the enemy forces then book it north. For low visibility maps like this underground city it makes me glad I have a good enough radar to keep track of where everything is.
Also by the point you're ready to move to the next half of the enemy forces, the first ally should be dead. Can't help 'em all.

The three remaining enemies are spread out, attacking the ally MT from the front, left, and right. I focused on the left and center MTs, but any two is good, just to keep numbers low for what else is needed during this mission.

You see, there is a hidden AC part on this level, and it is hidden behind a single large building standing out in the northwestern area of the map. Just blow up the building for start.

Just drop down the hole in the ground and follow a tunnel. There comes an intersection with three possible paths, but only left is the correct one.

And there goes the second ally MT, the being attacked from three angles. There was still the one enemy nearby and he finished him off. Though at this point the plan is set and we're safe for the rest of the mission.

Now, I said left was the correct path, but all these pathways have a wall at the end. The one on the left however can be blown up...

...to reveal a secret room.

The secret part on this mission is a new FCS, something that we haven't really seen in a while what with all the unique arm and back weapons we've been getting. Now it's back to the surface.

Now, the strategy behind my approach this mission worked because while the MTs will eventually kill each other once they start shooting, they are extremely lousy at moving to other targets. By isolating the last enemy MT and keeping it as far away from the first ally we saw at the start of the mission, things are assured that the last ally won't be killed and the mission forfeit. The enemy I left behind in particular was surrounded by multiple buildings so that provides extra obstructions between the two just in case it happened to enter some range that the weapons were still viable from far away.

And at the end, even with one surviving MT, we don't get any special deductions for the other two being killed, making this by far the best protection mission in the series up to this point because they won't charge you for bullshit that was out of your hand like Isaac City.

We made it back, we can do more Arena matches, and we got a follow up email on that assignment we just finished, from a familiar face. Well, as much as there are "familiar faces" in a game where everyone talks to you via text email or radio chatter.

Thank you, once again. I can't
imagine what might have happened
had you not been there to assist.

I heard that Nine-Ball did not
appear this time. Some peculiar
things have been discovered about
this elusive character...I will
relay this information to you.

Here is what we know about the
NEST-registered pilot, Hustler One.
No one has ever actually met him.

Another interesting item, is the
fact that a great deal of
information pertaining to Nine-Ball
and Hustler One has been erased.

This has piqued my curiosity and I
will be looking into the matter
further. I'll let you know if I
discover anything of interest.

Now, I know I've dropped mentions every now and then across these LPs about the actual canonicity of these games, particularly Armored Core 1 as it relates to the current events of Master of Arena, and Nine-Ball is at the center of them. Depending on how you look at some of it, this might just further confuse the matter on whether or not MoA is just reimagining the events of AC1 or if they are separate events and that a lot of things in universe had to be done inbetween titles to facilitate Nine-Ball's return and heavy prominence in the game.

For start, there is the information that states no person has ever seen the pilot Hustler One in person. While Armored Core has never really gone out of its way in the series to show what the pilots actually look like, there is an actual image from a Japanese artbook for the very first game that shows what Hustler One actually looks like.

As for whether or not these images were to be taken as canon at the time or simply there originally as personal reference for the designers, I have no real clue. Only resource I really have to go off of is the AC Wiki which has this image and description in the first place, but given all the effort spent there on pages for each individual enemies and parts per generation, you can all be the judge on its validity.

Which then leads into the second piece of info from Elan's report in that the majority of information about Hustler One was erased. What information might that have been? Well...based on the fact we ran into 2 Nine-Balls at the end of the first game and the reveal there was an AI calling the shots on everything, I wouldn't be surprised if the image was just there to give people at the time the false perception that he's a real person and Nine-Ball as he is now is just another machine connected to some sort of AI. No one's seen him in person, and actual images of his likeness being erased would add to that fact.

But I've speculated enough. I still think this game is on some level a re imagining of the events from AC1, but even that has its own holes and threads that will make the rest of this update way longer than it needs to be if I keep rambling.

To finish things up, here's a closer look at the FCS we picked up in the last mission. The lock type is standard so the view box would square instead of horizontally rectangular like our current one. And it is tied with the QX-9009 for the heaviest FCS in the game, and has considerable energy drain on top of that.

With no discernible special abilities or gimmicks, the shape of the view box mixed with special energy weapons doesn't make for a good combination so I'm sticking with the TRYX-QUAD.

We'll continue to bash heads against giant robots in Arena battles and further unearth the mystery behind Nine-Ball. Payoff will come soon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Funny, I'd never considered MoA to be a soft remake of AC1. Interesting. I figured there was enough grey areas and "well, maybe" room for the AC1-PP-MoA-2-AA universe to have a coherent continuity to it, but to expand on that any more is all spoilers for what's coming up in the final quarter of the game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Funny, I'd never considered MoA to be a soft remake of AC1. Interesting. I figured there was enough grey areas and "well, maybe" room for the AC1-PP-MoA-2-AA universe to have a coherent continuity to it, but to expand on that any more is all spoilers for what's coming up in the final quarter of the game.

Honestly, even though each game in the series is kind of a soft remake/reboot, it always kind of made sense to consider it all in the same continuity.

Big disaster happens, humans survive, crawl out of the ashes, find old tech, rebuild, and mech themselves into oblivion all over again, and you're probably to blame a bit. Not a bad formula, since it allows for all sorts of nice callbacks and references without worrying about dumb stuff like "canon" or "timelines".

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And also helps setting up massive gameplay changes, like the change from AC4/4A nexts to AC5 wanzers.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

SIGSEGV posted:

And also helps setting up massive gameplay changes, like the change from AC4/4A nexts to AC5 wanzers.

They're actually called wanzers? I thought that was a Front Mission thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They were Wanzers in all but name in AC5.

I just assumed that every non-2 numbered AC game was a complete universe reboot. The only one I can sort of see being a continuation is the 3 series games following the 1/2 series games. It's pretty much the series's thesis statement that mankind is horrible and will simply destroy more things faster as it creates better weapons. So yeah I can see it nuking itself back underground after Another Age and setting up another Super AI to act as a leash and then subsequently exterminating itself once it crawled back to the surface for a second time.

• Locked thread