Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

http://www.tmz.com/2015/02/19/harris-wittels-dead-parks-and-recreation-producer-dies-drugs-overdose/

I figured one thread would be best for this.

This is some real terrible poo poo. He was a real obvious comedic talent and only 30 years old. It's a real shame to hear that his addiction issues finally caught up to him. RIP Jack Sjunior

A few Foam Corners to dull the pain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AweVgPJhVFQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnmiykb6NGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrQj3LOBEcw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qAAh91GJSM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwZlgJnbAVk

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

That guy liked chemicals so much he was Walter White over here. :(

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I clicked this expecting a joke thread.

Why wasn't this a joke :smith:

quote:

Wittels performed stand-up Wednesday night at The Meltdown -- an L.A.comedy theater. During his set he talked about being clean and sober ... and said he was in a good place.

Christ.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I remember in that You Made It Weird episode where he talked about his addiction he kept talking about how he felt like nothing actually mattered and it didn't matter if he lived or died, so he might as well do heroin. I don't really want to speculate about his death or his personal mental state, but that just stuck out to me even at the time.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 20, 2015

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
This is some real lovely news. Analyse Phish is going to be a seriously sad and weird listen now :smith:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
he Should Have Stopped And Now He Died

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I am inconsolable and I hate everything

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

This really hits hard. I don't know how many times I've listened and re-listened to his appearances on CBB and Analyze Phish and all the other podcasts over the years but it really felt like I knew him in a way I could never know say Robin Williams or another big celeb. He and Scott Aukerman were a big reason I got interested in the "alt comedy" scene and it's such a shock to see him gone so young. RIP.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

This sucks so loving hard goddammit.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

drat. I was looking him up and thought the IMDb page was falsely edited. This poo poo sucks.

totempoleman
Jan 20, 2005

Make a jazz note here.
This is literally the saddest celeb news I have ever read. The podast era makes us all feel so close to the people we don't know at all. I feel like I have grown up with Harris and grown up with his career. His episode of You Made it Weird a couple months ago super depressed me but I thought he was on the mend... The only other podcast death I can think of is Andrew Koenig. I can't imagine the future when these people we have all listened to hours a week for decades start dying.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

I talked to him on the phone on the call-in Analyze Phish. They didn't use our bit because we just chatted about Texas and basketball, and also he hated the song I suggested he play for Scott.

He made me laugh all the god drat time.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I started getting into Earwolf podcasts around 2010 or so. As an aspiring tv writer who had yet to return home to LA for college, I really looked up to his career and all the success he had at such a young age. I was so happy when I read he was working on season 2 of Eastbound and Down, one of my favorite shows. I remember coming home from a poo poo night of telemarketing work to find my roommates watching the latest episode of Eastbound. I only caught the last ten minutes but even out of context I could tell right away that this had to be Harris's even before the credits. It's the super surreal episode where they go to Ashley Schaeffer's plantation and there's Korean businessmen and slave-era mammie and a cannon and really casual murders. It's loving nuts but it ends with Kenny and Stevie (dressed as a Geisha because the Koreans were all set to rape him) making their escape in the back of a pickup truck but then they look into each other's eyes and start cracking up and call each other retards and the episode ends. It was so wild and ridiculous but still had that sentimentality that he learned while writing under Mike Schur. I just wish we had a chance to see what touching insanity he could create if given the chance at an HBO or the like to make his own show. I can't believe we'll never hear him on a podcast again.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

drat, I'll have to listen to his episode of You Made It Weird now. I used to listen Comedy Bang Bang regularly and loved the Foam Corner, Analyze Phish, and Don't Stop or We'll Die. This really sucks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea this is weirdly hitting me harder than I expected. Maybe it's the heroin factor and the 'there but for the grace of god' aspect I always feel when that's brought up, or maybe it's because I like JUST listened to his You Made it Weird episode where he was so honest and open about his struggle or something, but this is kinda hitting me worse than 'a guy who wrote stuff I liked and did funny podcast things' 'should' be. I think I just have to listen to a bunch of his poo poo and watch some Parks and Rec or something.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

He really is a tour guide through the cosmos, now.

Sorry. :smith:

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

caligulamprey posted:

...lol.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

I love this so much. Of course the joke everyone couldn't stop talking about was a dumb Harris joke....So talented.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

totempoleman posted:

This is literally the saddest celeb news I have ever read. The podast era makes us all feel so close to the people we don't know at all. I feel like I have grown up with Harris and grown up with his career. His episode of You Made it Weird a couple months ago super depressed me but I thought he was on the mend... The only other podcast death I can think of is Andrew Koenig. I can't imagine the future when these people we have all listened to hours a week for decades start dying.

I spent so much time laughing at Harris's lovely jokes that I felt like he was one of my friends. I love the fact that podcasts allow me to feel like I have a close connection with comedians I love and respect, but it's a lovely side effect that their passing feels like a close friend dying. :(

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

It must feel so weird/amazing to come up with a joke and hear it delivered by the President.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
gently caress. I always loved the Comedy Death Ray/Bang Bang episodes he was on, his dumb jokes sounded like the kind of stuff you'd come up with bullshitting with your friends.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
This is the worst loving thing.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea this is weirdly hitting me harder than I expected. [..]this is kinda hitting me worse than 'a guy who wrote stuff I liked and did funny podcast things' 'should' be.
You're not alone. I don't even think I'm fully processing the news. I've listened to him for so many hours on CBB alone, I'm a huge P&R fan, I hate Phish and Analyze Phish is incredible. I just... gently caress.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

This loving sucks. I don't even know what to say except

a worthy uhh posted:

Don't loving do heroin, guys

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
Man, that is hosed up. Possibly my favourite CBB guest ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw1Va4yswi4

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Goddamn it :smith: .

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

he Should Have Stopped And Now He Died

Having met the guy this still quite funny

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Oh man whaaat :(

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
What an absolute disaster. When it came to comedy writing, Harris was a genius in the truest sense of the word. I couldn't be more bummed. And right when I'm trying to go to sleep!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
This sucks so much. Not only was Harris hilarious, he also seemed so sincere and earnest in his comedy.

Fake edit: gently caress I just realised he'll never go see U2 with Scott and Scott.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

drat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

rapeface posted:

I just realised he'll never go see U2 with Scott and Scott.

A small relief.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Those early CDR episodes where they were still figuring it out were huge for me. I hope his family and people not as familiar with the comedy scene get to understand people loved him and not just the things he worked on.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

This is stupid and dumb and while I wasn't as aware of his content outside of Parks and Rec, it's my favorite show. This sucks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ZentraediElite posted:

I wasn't as aware of his content outside of Parks and Rec, it's my favorite show.

You should check this out then http://www.earwolf.com/episode/farts-and-procreation/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 20, 2015

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
This is really lovely.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just want to say this blows chunks and I would have loved to see what he would have done at Louis CK's age. Being up on my podcast and just how amazingly funny and human this guy was (even in his Nerdist writer's ep, Wittels being so curious and pestering the drama writers on the panel with questions showed a curious and open mind) makes this probably the first time I've ever really felt on an emotionally level a celeb dying since I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

caligulamprey posted:

• Locked thread