Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
History and hopefully read nothing about how the aliens did everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Read about history so we can avoid repeating it. Unless, y'know, of course, it's beneficial for us to do so.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Well...I think I'm just going to spoil y'all here because I'm a fan of the Orb lore. I haven't had the chance to pick back through Way of the Tiger, but does anyone know offhand if Avenger visited Greyguilds at any point?

Page 336 posted:

The sage directs you to The Book of the Gods, a large leather-bound tome, inlaid with gold leaf. Turning the gilt-edged pages you realize the Gods of Orb are many. You recognize a symbol on one of the pages as being the token borne by the warrior-women. Their goddess is Fell-Kyrinla, swordsmistress of the heavens. She is sworn to oppose Rocheval the Good, God of Paladins. To your excitement you discovers reference to the Talisman: Some believe that it can be used to command the undead minions of Death. Turning the page you come to a reference to the All-Mother, Nature herself, preserver of life, who cares for all. Then you see a bizarrely illustrated page dealing with Anarchil, breaker of edifices, who spurns order. You are just learning of Avatar the One, essence of light, when you realize that it has grown dark while you were reading. You thank the Sage and leave quickly, hoping to find a safe place to sleep-

Turn to 186.

The italics are idiosyncratic in the original as well, recreated here for your vicarious CYOA appreciation.

Page 196 posted:

The Sage shows you to a side room, full of reading desks. A few are occupied by students of history, young and old . With an expansive gesture he points to a wall lined with shelves, which are filled with scrolls and tablets. You choose a set of scrolls called Greyguilds Revisited, by Nyleve. It is the story of a dissolute young nobleman who failed to take advantage of the education offered by the Guilds of Learning. You are able to glean much interesting information about the city. The religious orders hold all the power. You are astonished to find that Vagar, the God of thieves, liars and cut-throats, has most followers within the city. There is a temple to Death in the city as well. Indeed it seems that Greyguilds is not the tranquil city that it once was. The armed forces protecting the city come from two groups, the warrior-women who worship the evil goddess Fell-Kyrinla, and the followers of the All-Mother. Greyguilds lies on the edge of a large plain, called the Manmarch, or lands of men. It is just one of many cities in this part of the world. As you are wondering whether you will ever visit Doomover, or the Spires of Foreshadowing, the other students begin filing out. With a start you realize it is already dark and you leave quickly, looking for a safe place to sleep.

Turn to 186.

Consider y'selves well-larned.

Page 186 posted:

You leave the building and continue on down Booker's Walk. The streets are already deserted and there are few lights in this part of the city. You search for the welcoming light of an inn. Then, without warning, the steel teeth of a hidden man-trap snap shut round your leg, ripping your flesh. You are in terrible pain. Lose 2 Stamina points. Shadowy figures loom out of the murk all around you. Their faces glow with a sickly pallor in the moonlight. They are wearing black robes clasped at the neck by shrunken human skulls.

Do you still have the Talisman of Death?

If you have, turn to 162.
If you have not got it, turn to 150.

: OW! What kind of city has loving bear traps lying around in the streets?!?

Page 162 posted:

'We are the priesthood of Death,' says one of the figures. 'We have come for what is ours!' Your arms are held and you are searched. The Talisman is torn from you by their leader. 'I have it, brothers, I have it,' he exclaims in triumph. 'Now may our Lord enter his kingdom!' They cheer loudly, oblivious to the approach of a large group of riders. 'Stand, make no move,' a woman's voice rings out. It is the Watch. One of the priests mumbles an unholy incantation. You see a wave of fear break over the women and their steeds. Some cannot control their horses, others flee, but the bravest charge the priests with loud cries of battle. The priests are unprepared: some are knocked to the ground, others make good their escape, as silently as they came. The Talisman falls to the ground, its bearer decapitated as he turns to flee. It is caught up by one of the Watch, who announces her intention of taking it to the temple of Fell-Kyrinla. They wheel their horses and ride away, leaving you to rot. You have lost the Talisman. Cursing bitterly, you resolve that if you escape you will not rest until you have regained it.

Turn to 128.

: As much as this man trap pains me, I think I'm more put out by being bested by such a bunch of hapless yutzes.

Page 128 posted:

You are left alone to wonder how the law-keepers of this city could be so cruel as to leave an innocent person in such dire straits. You tear feverishly at the trap, terrified of some footpad slitting your throat for his own vile amusement. Soft footsteps approach. You look over your shoulder and see a man approaching. 'Here,' he says, 'let me rescue you from this trap.' He steps on the release catch, which had been out of your reach and the trap springs open. You step free and he walks along by your side. 'Have you a place to stay tonight? Perhaps you would like to sleep in my humble abode?' he asks, looking sideways at you. You are curious that he should be walking the streets alone at night, but you are also exhausted.

Will you accept his offer and go home with him (turn to 143), or decline his offer (turn to 107)?

: I'll be honest, you remarkably non-descript man, you. I have no idea what to make of you.

Character Sheet posted:

Skroddy the Former Potionist

Skill: 11/12
Stamina: 13/17
Luck: 10/11

Provisions (+4 Stamina): 9
Torches: 5
Potions: 1 Luck Potion (restore Luck to [Initial Value +1]), Willow Sap (+4 Stamina at any time)
Gold: 0
Jewels: 0

Equipment: Denim and Flannel Armor, Sword, Flint and Tinder, 3 bottles of concentrated senna, 11 oz brick of bubblegum, NO TALISMAN OF DEATH!!, Shades

Kills: a sinister branch, the Envoy of Death

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Why yes, I will follow you home late in the night, strange man.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Will you accept his offer and go home with him and hope he's got anti-beartrap bandages.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Let's follow the hag nice man.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!

Mikl posted:

Let's follow the hag nice man.

Stop that... you're giving me traumatic flashbacks. :stonk:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 143 posted:

The man's house is a small stone bungalow. He leads you into his bedroom and offers you a straw filled mattress behind a curtain. Thankful for the chance to rest, you go to sleep without asking any questions. You sleep deeply and regain 4 stamina points. You wake to find that your host is sitting watching you. 'I hope you are well rested. You talked in your sleep.' He smiles at you and says, 'Do you need help? Has someone stolen something from you? How did you come to be trapped, alone on the street late at night?'

If you want to tell him the whole story and ask him for advice, turn to 98. If you would prefer to say that you cannot answer, turn to 92.

: Guy, you are the creepiest samaritan I've ever encountered. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful, but for Avatar's sake it is NOT normal to just stare at people like that while they sleep!

Character Sheet posted:

Skill: 11/12
Stamina: 17/17

Potions: 1 Luck Potion (restore Luck to [Initial Value +1]), Willow Sap (+4 Stamina at any time)
Gold: 0

Equipment: Denim and Flannel Armor, Sword, Flint and Tinder, 3 bottles of concentrated senna, 11 oz brick of bubblegum, NO TALISMAN OF DEATH!!, Shades

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 7, 2015

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
If he were a bad sort, he would have cut our throat while we slept or something. Tell it all.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Spill our guts. Maybe he has a magic sword to give us!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If you want to tell him the whole story and ask him for advice, turn to 98 and ask him WHERE CAN I GET ME SOME BUBBLEGUM?

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
We already lost the Talisman, so it's not like things can get any worse. Let's tell him.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 98 posted:

You tell him everything and he listens with growing amazement. He introduces himself as Apothecus, a sage of history. 'I have heard of the Talisman of Death. You must recover it at ail costs.' He suggests that you enlist the help of the Thieves' Guild, as he doesn't think you can recapture it alone. 'It will be in the temple to Fell-Kyrinla by now, I'll warrant. Hawkana, the High Priestess, will be holding it there. Go to the Red Dragon Inn on the Street of Seven Sins. It is dangerous, but you may make contact with the thieves there.' He gives you a breakfast of savoury pancakes and invites you to dinner that evening, saying that he will try to discover more to aid you. 'In the meantime,' he says, 'take these.' He hands you five pieces of gold and a ring. It is a ring which increases your skill at arms.' Add 1 to your SKILL score while wearing this ring. As you leave he gives you a jade rose. 'When you return this evening show this and I will know that you are not a shape-changer.' You thank him for his help and leave the bungalow.

Will you go to the Red Dragon Inn (turn to 57), or head for the temple (turn to 221)?

: All is forgiven! Except the pancakes. Those were weird. But besides that you're an OK guy, Apothecus!

Character Sheet posted:

Skill: 11+1/12

Gold: 5

Equipment: Denim and Flannel Armor, Sword, Flint and Tinder, 3 bottles of concentrated senna, 10 oz brick of bubblegum, NO TALISMAN OF DEATH!!, Shades, Ring of Skill (increase Skill +1), jade rose

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Let's hope that there's honor among thieves in Greyguilds-on-the-Moor.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Go to the Red Dragon Inn and form an adventuring party!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

"You all meet in an inn" is a standard RPG cliché.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Follow the sage's advice, to the temple!

Vote changed, please see below

sunburnedcrow fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 7, 2015

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!

sunburnedcrow posted:

Follow the sage's advice, to the temple!

He's telling us to get some thief buddies at the inn first, though.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Corzanth posted:

He's telling us to get some thief buddies at the inn first, though.

Oh okay, read that too fast.

to the Inn then.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 57 posted:

You take a side-street which leads towards the Street of Seven Sins and are almost pushed aside by a couple of students in blue togas. They are quarreling and begin fighting in front of you. It seems one of them disagrees violently with something the other has said. As they tussle, you notice that the angry young man has dropped a small brass tiger charm.

Will you:

Interrupt the quarrel and give the charm back? Turn to 47.
Ignore them and go on your way? Turn to 156.
Pick up the charm? Turn to 32.

Character Sheet posted:

Equipment: Denim and Flannel Armor, Sword, Flint and Tinder, 3 bottles of concentrated senna, 10 oz brick of bubblegum, NO TALISMAN OF DEATH!!, Shades, Ring of Skill (increase Skill +1), jade rose

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Yoink.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ignore them and go on your way (I remember what happened last time we tried this).

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Give it back.

We're helping!

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Let's keep walking. I have a feeling this charm summons hags or something.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 156 posted:

You come out into the Street of Seven Sins and soon find the Red Dragon Inn. Steps lead downwards and the sound of raucous laughter floats up from the smoke-filled gloom below. You enter and walk over to the only part of the dive where it is light enough to make anything out. Passing tables and stools, you come to the bar, behind which stands the bulky proprietor of the inn.

Do you have the brass tiger charm?

If you do, turn to 11.
If you do not, turn to 3.

: I don't even have a brass tiger charm, much less the brass tiger charm. Nuts.

Page 3 posted:

You ask the barman for a mug of ale. While he pours you your drink, your eyes adjust to the gloom and you survey his customers. You have never seen a more disreputable bunch of villainous-looking cutthroats. The barman says, 'That will be a piece of gold.' You hand over the money. As you replace your money-pouch a dozen pairs of eyes watch closely. The only one who doesn't watch is a stooped old man, cleaning slops off an empty table.

Will you:

Talk to the barman? Turn to 88.
Walk over to the old man? Turn to 19.
Approach six surly-looking men, who look like thieves? Turn to 280.

: It takes a special something to look like a thief even amidst the most disreputable bunch of villainous-looking cutthroats I've ever seen.

Character Sheet posted:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

My good barman, I'm sure you're the propietor of a watering hole of no ill repute. Would you happen to know where we might hire some thugs?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Talk to the barman and ask where we can find a wizard, cleric and thief.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 88 posted:

The barman says, 'You're not like my usual customers. A rough lot comes in here, most days. These fellows don't rely on charity for a crust, you know.'

Will you try to make friends and ask him how he keeps order (turn to 119), or ask him how they get their money (turn to 102)?

: Well, of course they don't. Charity's not from around here. She works at the Horny Unicorn over in Wargra-oh. That's not the "charity" you were talking about, was it?

Character Sheet posted:

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Let's be friends!! :downs:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

So how often do you have to crack some skulls to keep order?

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
You got a big stick underneath that bar?

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Being friendly with the barkeeper is usually good or harmless.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 119 posted:

'I manage, mostly,' he says; 'but it puts me in mind of one time not so long ago when things really got out of hand.' He goes on to tell you a story about Heimdol the Mighty. It seems that Heimdol was one of the strongest and most unpleasant men ever to have swilled beer in the Red Dragon. One day a stranger, Tyutchev, accepted his invitation to a bout of arm-wrestling. Heimdol lost for the first time in his Jife. He was furious and threatened awful reprisals if Tyutchev ever returned. A few nights later Tyutchev did return and began methodically to insult Heimdol and two of his friends. In the inevitable fight which followed Tyutchev killed them all and carved his initials on Heimdol's forehead. 'He worships the God of insane chaos, Anarchil, and since then none has dared gainsay him here, even though they are all thieves and murderers.' You decide the time has come to introduce yourself to the thieves, and you walk over to their table.

Turn to 280.

Way of the Tiger call[back/forward]! Although, in fairness, there's a lot that carries over from this book to AVENGER!

Page 280 posted:

You introduce yourself to the motley group of villains. They do not reply. You persevere, saying that you only wish to speak to them for a few moments. One of them, whose face is marked by a jagged scar, running from ear to chin, fixes you with a stare and grates, 'We don't care for the law, so watch yourself. You could be dead before you knew we'd moved.'

Will you:

Ask them the way to the Thieves' Guild? Turn to 145.
Say you need help with some unfinished business? Turn to 246.
Boldly retort that their threats don't scare you? Turn to 167.

: Schwertfisch!

Character Sheet posted:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Ratatozsk posted:

: Schwertfisch!

I see what you did there.

Anyway, talking about unfinished business seems least likely to make them think we're (a) a cop or (b) an idiot.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Say you need help with some unfinished business!

What was the call out to the Way of the Tiger books?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Unfinished business

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Which way to your secret hideout? :downs:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

What was the call out to the Way of the Tiger books?

One of these days I plan to update the second post of the thread with links (will require archives, sorry) to WotT cameos for places and people. All of the gods referenced so far as well as the Shieldmaidens of Dama came up in that series, as well as the city of Serakub and the Rift itself.

Page 246 posted:

They appear interested and offer you some ale. You accept a mug and do not drink. You suggest that in helping you, they might gain a great deal. They agree to meet you and tell you to come to the Thieves' Guild at midday tomorrow, via the disguised coal-hole in Hornbeam Road. You begin to chat to them.

Turn to 169.

But last update specifically name dropped a pair of thorns in Avenger's side that popped up in at least 2 separate instances...

Page 169 posted:

Two newcomers enter the Red Dragon ale cellar. The first is a very tall, wiry, man whose frame is draped in a black cloak. The only hint of colour is his hair, very curly and dyed bright corn-yellow. The second is a handsome young woman dressed in a bizarre patchwork of armour. The barman mutters under his breath, then forces his face into a smile. 'Tyutchev, Cassandra, welcome!' he shouts obsequiously. The thieves move away from you to sit at another table. Tyutchev strolls to the bar and orders a drink. Cassandra sits opposite you, at your table. She ignores you and Tyutchev joins her.

Will you:

Say nothing? Turn to 2.
Introduce yourself? Turn to 374.
Get up and leave the ale cellar? Turn to 363.

: Speak of the Anarchil(ists)!

Character Sheet posted:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

[...]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Just minding my own business here.

• Locked thread