Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Get up and leave the ale cellar and go find the Thieves Guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 2 posted:

There is an uneasy silence in the ale cellar. Tyutchev looks across at you and says, 'I don't like your face.' Cassandra nods agreement.

If you retort, 'At least, unlike you, I am wholesome to look upon,' turn to 294.
If you meekly reply, 'I'm sorry, I was born that way,' and leave the ale cellar, turn to 305.

: No hard feelings, I'd be a bit ill-tempered too if I was born so ugly that my mother used to tie me to the fence to scare away the crows.

Character Sheet posted:

Skroddy the Former Potionist

Skill: 11+1/12
Stamina: 17/17
Luck: 10/11

Provisions (+4 Stamina): 9
Torches: 5
Potions: 1 Luck Potion (restore Luck to [Initial Value +1]), Willow Sap (+4 Stamina at any time)
Gold: 5
Jewels: 0

Equipment: Denim and Flannel Armor, Sword, Flint and Tinder, 3 bottles of concentrated senna, 10 oz brick of bubblegum, NO TALISMAN OF DEATH!!, Shades, Ring of Skill (increase Skill +1), jade rose

Kills: a sinister branch, the Envoy of Death

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We were warned about these guys. If you meekly reply, 'I'm sorry, I was born that way,' and leave the ale cellar. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a jewellery robbery to prepare.

Silent Banana
Aug 24, 2009

Tell him to shove it! 294

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Comstar posted:

We were warned about these guys. If you meekly reply, 'I'm sorry, I was born that way,' and leave the ale cellar. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a jewellery robbery to prepare.

Definitely seconded.

Abort abort abort.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
We were born this way because we are from an alien planet.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 305 posted:

As you walk across the sawdust-covered tiles towards the door, you hear Tyutchev say to the barman, 'Who was that frightened rabbit?' He walks over to the thieves.

Do you want to hurry out of this den of thieves, thankful to be alive (turn to 289), or draw your sword and shout 'Who's frightened?' (turn to 294)?

If anyone is particularly keen to head back in, I'll consider a side-update, but I'd prefer to keep things moving over tiny increments for each update.

Page 289 posted:

You step out, squinting against the bright light of the late afternoon sun. Add 1 LUCK point for visiting the Red Dragon Inn and living to tell the tale. You are back in the Street of Seven Sins.

If you have met a Sage and he has invited you to dinner, you may turn to 229.
If you have not been invited, or do not wish to go, you may go down a side street called Cobbler's Walk, heading west (turn to 195), or go down Merchant Street, heading north-west (turn to 394).

Luck is maxed out now, and we have met the Sage (though we can choose to not meet him).

Character Sheet posted:

Luck: 11/11

Potions: 1 Luck Potion (restore Luck to [Initial Value +1]), Willow Sap (+4 Stamina at any time)

Equipment: Denim and Flannel Armor, Sword, Flint and Tinder, 3 bottles of concentrated senna, 10 oz brick of bubblegum, NO TALISMAN OF DEATH!!, Shades, Ring of Skill (increase Skill +1), jade rose

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If you have met a Sage and he has invited you to dinner lets go have dinner.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Never turn down a free meal. Let's head back to the Sage.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Accept the offer of yummies.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Y'all are no fun :(

Page 229 posted:

On your way towards the Sage's house a small boy runs up to you and asks if you would like to help a very clever scholar and make some money doing it. 'It won't take long,' he adds, tugging at your sleeve.

Do you want to thank him, but decline and go on your way (turn to 273), or will you go with the boy (turn to 216)?

Gonna push us through this decision, as the option to decline is the same in the next page.

Page 216 posted:

The boy leads you to the Guilds of Learning. You hurry down a cloister, which surrounds a square of tall grass speckled with scarlet poppies, and on towards a huge greenhouse made of tarred wood and glass. Two scholars wearing the pale blue robes of the Sages come out to greet you. One is spindly and bald, the other is very chubby and peers at you through his pince-nez. They are obviously pleased to see you and introduce themselves as Moreau and Polonius. The fat one, Polonius, asks you to come with them, if you would like to earn twenty gold pieces for twenty minutes' work.

Will you go with them into the greenhouse (turn to 182), or politely decline and go back to the Sage's house (turn to 273)?

: Sages galore! Are we having a sleepover tonight?

Character Sheet posted:

Equipment: Denim and Flannel Armor, Sword, Flint and Tinder, 3 bottles of concentrated senna, 9 oz brick of bubblegum, NO TALISMAN OF DEATH!!, Shades, Ring of Skill (increase Skill +1), jade rose

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
A scholar with the name of Moreau, you say? I, uh, forgot I had something very important to do. Sorry, guys!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Hell yes! Time to become the beast master! Or get polonium poisoning, depending on which name this guy cleaved to.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Hey thread, would you like to have an adventure [y/n]?

:geno:

Seriously? Well, we're not missing out on this one.

Page 182 posted:

'We are scholars,' says Moreau excitedly. 'Vivisection is our field of study. We use surgery and magic to create new forms of life. Just wait till you see our creation.' They take you to a large sunken pit in the middle of the massive greenhouse. The pit is ringed at the top with downward pointing spikes. They lower a ladder and you all descend into it. In a barred cage at the edge of the pit is a most loathsome sight.

The scholars' creation is a massive beast with the body of a giant cockroach, six giant arms for legs and two heads, one above the other. The top one is the head of a crocodile and below is the warty face of an ogre. 'Isn't she beautiful?' says Moreau. Polonius says, 'We need a valiant warrior to test her. We want her to be used as a war-beast. Do not worry, though; the minute she looks like harming you, Polonius here will put her to sleep with a special spell.' The ogre face, which looks distinctly male, roars and slavers.

If you want to say. 'Thank you, no, I'm not fighting that,' and leave immediately, turn to 201.
If you would rather say. 'This should be interesting,' and prepare to fight the beast, turn to 189.

This choice is a false one with nearly identical results, so we'll go to 201 for completion's sake.

Page 201 posted:

'Ah well, that's a pity,' says Polonius, and presses the far wall of the pit. With a great clang bars spring up between you and the two scholars. To your horror you see that at the same time the bars separating you from their awful creation have slid into the ground. The beast comes towards you, intent on turning you into a meal. You must fight the VIVISECT. The scholars produce wax tablets and begin to take notes.

VIVISECT SKILL 8 STAMINA 12

You may appeal for help at any time.

If you do, remember this reference number and turn to 158.
If you do not appeal, and win, turn to 176.

It's a nested false choice too:

Page 158 posted:

You ask the scholars to use their spell. 'Something appears to be wrong,' mumbles Moreau guiltily. The spell is not working. Out of the corner of your eye you can see him gesticulating as if casting a spell, but the beast is unaffected. You must fight it to the death. Return to the paragraph you came from.

You may not appeal for help again.

: It's time to put you out of your ugly. I'll include misery too, no added charge.

Rolling:
(8+10)>(11+4): Skroddy loses 2 Stamina
(8+3)<(11+7): VIVISECT loses 2 Stamina
(8+8)=(11+5): Grimace-off, nothing lost but dignity
(8+10)<(11+10): VIVISECT loses 2 Stamina
(8+7)<(11+8): VIVISECT loses 2 Stamina
(8+12)>(11+3): Skroddy loses 2 Stamina
(8+6)<(11+9): VIVISECT loses 2 Stamina
(8+10)<(11+10): VIVISECT loses 2 Stamina
(8+6)<(11+4): VIVISECT loses 2 Stamina and is smashsected.

: Awgh! I'm covered in...awful. I...awgh!

Page 176 posted:

The vile monstrosity sinks to the ground, squelching in a pool of blood and green ichor. The stench of its spilled entrails is nauseating. The sages are woebegone at the death of their creation, but they help you out of the pit. 'I'm sorry,' says Moreau, 'my spell did not work. What a shame you had to kill her.' You shake your head at their madness and ask for your gold. Polonius dives his hands into various pockets and folds of his robes, a look of consternation crossing his features. He is about to make some excuse, when he sees your growing anger. Eventually, he offers you a magic scroll as payment instead. It contains a Spell of Agonizing Doom, which you can use once only. You accept, take your leave, and head for the house of the Sage.

Turn to 273.

: HER? How could you tell?

Page 273 posted:

You come to the door of the Sage's house and knock. After a few moments a manservant opens the door. You explain that you have come to see the Sage. The manservant asks you for the token.

Do you have the token?

If you do, turn to 6.
If not, turn to 131.

I haven't found a page where you can lose the jade rose, so...I guess this page is just to keep people honest if they try to cheat...?

Page 6 posted:

The servant says, 'Ah yes, you are expected. Please come in.' You follow him into the parlour. The dining-table is laid for three. Apothecus rises to greet you and introduces you to his friend, Diodorus, a Sage who is an expert on travel between the planes of existence. He tells you that there are portals or gates, allowing travel between Orb and other worlds. He suspects that you may have been brought from Earth to Orb by means of such a portal, 'When you recover the Talisman,' he says, 'you must leave Greyguilds and walk south-east until you come to the Great Plateau. Mount Starreach, the tallest mountain on the plateau, has, at its summit, one of these portals, through which you must pass if you wish to return to Earth.'

'And now to more immediate matters,' says Apothecus. 'You can leave the city by the postern gate in the cemetery. If you get into serious trouble you may be able to call on the All-Mother for aid. To do so cry, "All-Mother, nature herself, preserve me.'" He makes you repeat the words and you commit them to memory; note them on your Adventure Sheet. He explains that the All-Mother is the Fountain of all Life, the opposite of Death. She may be prepared to help you, but only once, at the time of your greatest need. 'However, remember this: no deity can intervene in another's temple.' You thank them both and turn in early after the sumptuous meal of peacock basted in Spirits of Ra, and other exotic dishes. You wake up refreshed - gain 4 stamina points. You bid Apothecus farewell, thanking him for all his help and hoping that you won't let him down. You set out to find the Thieves' Guild.

Turn to 64.

: Thanks for the infodump, Dio-dude and Apothesage!

Page 64 posted:

As you set off, you see a small group of people clustered around a man wearing a flowing grey cloak and one dangling gold ear-ring. He is making huge bunches of flowers appear and disappear to cries of delight and amusement from the crowd.

Will you:

Try to find a way into the Thieves' Guild? Turn to 83.
Try to regain the Talisman on your own? Turn to 383.
Stay and watch the magic? Turn to 106.

Character Sheet posted:

Equipment: Denim and Flannel Armor, Sword, Flint and Tinder, 3 bottles of concentrated senna, 8 oz brick of bubblegum, NO TALISMAN OF DEATH!!, Shades, Ring of Skill (increase Skill +1), jade rose, scroll of Spell of Agonizing Doom

Kills: a sinister branch, the Envoy of Death, Vivisect

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 14, 2015

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Maaaaagic!

Let's hope this Magic Man isn't a jerk.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Try to find a way into the Thieves' Guild. I'm sure it's a hag in disguise.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Break in to the Guild.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
oh yea, we're ready to go, and nothing is gonna sto-Oooh, magic show! let's watch!

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Let's talk to the thieves. Again.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I believe in magic. Do you?

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Don't be late! Punctuality among theives!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 83 posted:

Have you been told about the storm-drain?

If you have, turn to 183.
If not, turn to 149.

If our introduction to the thieves goes...poorly, then they tell us about the storm-drain (trap) instead of the coal-chute (real entrance).

Page 183 posted:

You turn left down Hornbeam Road, looking for the coal-hole. You see what looks like a coal-cellar at the back of a dilapidated warehouse. You duck into it and find a small crawl-way hidden on the other side of the pile of coal. You craw! down a chute and out into a small passageway that winds for some distance beneath the city. You come to a door and push it open. You step into a magnificently furnished room; evidently the Thieves' Guild lacks nothing. A group of men is waiting for you, lounging on sofas. Some of them you recognize from the Red Dragon Inn, in particular the one with a scar running from ear to chin.

Turn to 209.

Page 209 posted:

Scarface looks you up and down for a moment. Then he says, 'Right, I'll get the Guildmaster, we'll see what he has to say.' There is an uneasy silence before he returns with another man. Scarface says, 'This is Vagrant, Guildmaster of Thieves.' Vagrant is a handsome, middle-aged man wearing an ermine jacket. Twirling his moustache, he asks you the purpose of your visit.

What will you say:

You need help to steal something? Turn to 315.
You want to steal the Talisman of Death? Turn to 276.
You will lead them to a hoard of priceless jewellery? Turn to 291.

: Your moustache is captivating. Can I have a minute to just appreciate it before making my case?

Character Sheet posted:

Equipment: Denim and Flannel Armor, Sword, Flint and Tinder, 3 bottles of concentrated senna, 8 oz brick of bubblegum, NO TALISMAN OF DEATH!!, Shades, Ring of Skill (increase Skill +1), jade rose, scroll of Spell of Agonizing Doom

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 14, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Better to be up front now and have them turn us down than to get caught in a lie later. Who wants to help me steal an artifact of doom?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Nobody wants to steal an artifact of doom, but since they are a Thieves' Guild, I imagine they have no problem hunting an individual, high value object of an unspecified nature. I'd imagine they wouldn't bother if we told them they could get rich, they'd just toss us out or kill us for too brazen a lie.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I've got a hot tip on some unspecified object!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I need your help in stealing something.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
You want to steal the Talisman of Death and stop the Nazi's from taking over the world! Oh right, wrong movie. Um, there MAY be a giant snake involved.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
The talisman of death is our quarry!

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Fancy stealing this artifact called the Talisman of Death?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 276 posted:

There is a hushed silence, broken by Vagrant. 'That is indeed beyond price.' He suddenly barks out an order 'We'll mount an expedition before they move the Talisman. It is market-day - a good time. Scarface, Jemmy the Rat, Bloodheart and young Lord Min, you will accompany our friend here.' Some hours later, when they have finished their preparations, you set off.

As you leave, you see a piece of graffiti scrawled in blood on a wall: There is no honour among thieves! You resolve to be on your guard.

Turn to 241.

I don't know if I ever really noticed the incidental illustrations in WotT, but holy bells are they padding the heck out of this book. The crow, page 276, and the claw holding a brazier or whatever constitute a full page.

Page 241 posted:

Scarface leads you through a maze of back alleys into a building that Jemmy the Rat tells you is a safe house. You climb on to the roof and continue running across the roof-tops of the city. Soon you are on top of a tall house, just below the top of the temple to Fell-Kyrinla. Bloodheart, a hulking, silent fellow, takes a rope and grappling hook from his shoulder. He effortlessly throws it round the top of one of the temple columns. He secures his end to a chimneystack and walks across on the tightrope he has created. You all manage to cross hand-over-hand and join him in the temple eaves. Jemmy the Rat, a wiry man with fingers like spider's legs, finds a skylight and, true to his name, prises off the bars and picks the lock. Reaching inside he disarms a trap containing a poisoned dart. You marvel at his nimble-fingered skill. They lower a rope and you all drop down to the top of a staircase. You catch sight of an old serving-man passing a doorway on the landing. The others have not noticed him.

Will you silence him, in case he has seen you (turn to 217), or ignore him, hoping he didn't see you (turn to 228)?

: Evidently CQC wasn't part of the Potion Shack pre-employment training.

Character Sheet posted:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Let the nice old man live

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I bet he's a boss. Kill him!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
If we leave the man alone, we may go undetected. But if we kill him, we will definitely raise an alarm. Masters of stealth we ain't.

Leximancer
Oct 24, 2010
We need another kill, our list is looking a bit scanty.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

If we leave the man alone, we may go undetected. But if we kill him, we will definitely raise an alarm. Masters of stealth we ain't.

This.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ignore him, hoping he didn't see you and pray the RIGHT gods are on my side.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

If he's a man, he's not a hag. Leave him alone.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 228 posted:

You hurry on down the stairs but the old man has seen you.

Turn to 283.

Page 283 posted:

You are padding silently along the landing towards the stairs which lead down, when a loud pealing of bells fills the air. 'The alarm!' snarls Scarface. You freeze. Looking back you are astonished to find that you cannot see the thieves, who you thought were behind you. All you can see are shadows. You are on your own.

Will you go back to find the thieves (turn to 213), or run down the stairs ahead of you (turn to 180)?

: Stealing away, eh? Just what I'd expect from a bunch of thievin' thieves the likes of you!

Character Sheet posted:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Charge on ahead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Goddamn man-hags! To the stairs!

• Locked thread