Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Run down the stairs ahead of you and get that jewel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Run!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Book it!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 180 posted:

You run down the stairs four at a time. You reach another landing before you hear the tramp of feet coming up from below. Thinking quickly, you hide behind an arras.

Test your Luck.

If you are Lucky, turn to 140.
If you are Unlucky, turn to 153.

Rolling...7. Lucky! Subtract 1 from Luck

Page 140 posted:

You can hear the clank of armour as a group of guards rushes past the arras, heading up the stairs. You continue down until you reach the double doors at the bottom. A guard remains on duty before them. She shouts a warning and runs forward to attack you. You must fight her.

TEMPLE GUARD Skill 7 Stamina 8

If she is still alive after five combat rounds, turn to 124.
If you win within five combat rounds, turn to 113.

Rolling:
(7+3)<(12+11): Temple Guard loses 2 Stamina.
(7+12)>(12+6): Skroddy loses 2 Stamina.
(7+10)=(12+5): drat, that's what you get for not killing the old man!
(7+6)<(12+9): Temple Guard loses 2 Stamina.
(7+7)<(12+7): Temple Guard loses 2 Stamina.
Testing our Luck for the last strike because this is round five - (3+4)<10, Temple Guard loses 2 Stamina and dies with the regret of becoming a Sword Maiden rather than a Shield Maiden. Skroddy is at 15 Stamina.

: Ugh. I don't think I'm quite the man for this job. Maybe I'll get reincarnated as a ninja the next time around!

Page 113 posted:

You step over the fallen guard and, pushing open the double doors, enter the Inner Sanctum of the temple. A tall raven-haired woman, Hawkana, the High Priestess, is praying at the altar, upon which lies the Talisman of Death. Beyond the altar is a large marble statue of the Goddess wearing chainmail, her expression arrogant and cruelly beautiful. Hawkana rises and turns. She resembles the statue and is wearing a long dress of black chainmail.

Turn to 222.

Page 222 posted:

'How dare you desecrate the temple. How dare you interrupt me when I'm speaking with the Goddess!' she says softly, white with rage. 'I dedicate your soul to the Goddess.' She drives her fist into the air and chops it downwards. A pillar of flame descends from the vaulted roof.

Roll one die.

If you score 1-4, turn to 105.
If you score a 5 or a 6, turn to 132.

Hawkana unleashes her most insidious attack - the Contagious Yawn.

Rolling...5

Page 132 posted:

You are engulfed in flame. The pain is terrible and you can hardly see. Lose 6 Stamina points.

If you are still alive you may wish to use one of the following, if you have any of them:

Vapours of Speed: turn to 76.
Unicorn Amulet: turn to 87.
Scroll of Agonizing Doom: turn to 59.
None of these things: turn to 50.

For what little comfort it may offer, the other option still has us losing 3 Stamina. Skroddy is down to 9 Stamina.

Page 59 posted:

After that display of power, you hurriedly use your Scroll of Agonizing Doom. Hawkana draws her sword and advances on you, snarling with tigerish ferocity. But the spell works and a crackling electric blue aura surrounds her. She throws back her head and howls with agony. She is very badly hurt and staggers, but then exerts her will and recovers. You must fight the High Priestess.

HAWKANA Skill 12 Stamina 6

If you win, turn to 44.

Hawkana is usually Skill 12, Stamina 14. The Vapors are a dud (more on their purchase in the post-book) and burning time consuming them loses us 2 Stamina, and the Amulet (unidentified upon acquisition) is an Amulet of Strength against Evil which modifies our skill by +2 for the fight.

: That amulet belongs in a museum! ...on Earth!

Rolling...
(12+10)>(12+6): Skroddy loses 2 Stamina.
(12+6)<(12+11): Hawkana loses 2 Stamina.
(12+4)<(12+8): Hawkana loses 2 Stamina.
(12+9)>(12+5): Skroddy loses 2 Stamina.
(12+8)>(12+6) Skroddy loses 2 Stamina.
(12+8)<(12+9) Hawkana loses 2 Stamina, is dismayed to learn that her death rattle is not as contagious as her yawn. Skroddy down to 3/17 Stamina.

: Ugh, that was the worst one and a half liner I've ever spit out. AND I CAN'T STOP YAWNING!

Page 44 posted:

Hawkana collapses to the floor, lifeless. You walk to the altar and take the Talisman of Death. It is cold and heavy. At last you have regained it. Gain 1 Luck point. You look back at Hawkana and your scalp crawls. Her wounds are healing. Even as you watch she tries to raise herself from the pool of blood in which she lies.

Will you go back to Hawkana (turn to 54), or run to the double doors (turn to 31)?

: I guess my particular thief associates aren't exactly the type of thief who'd coming swinging in on a chandelier to whisk me out of this mess, are they? I gotta be pickier next time.

Character Sheet posted:

Skroddy the Former Potionist

Skill: 11+1/12
Stamina: 3/17
Luck: 10/11

Provisions (+4 Stamina): 9
Torches: 5
Potions: 1 Luck Potion (restore Luck to [Initial Value +1]), Willow Sap (+4 Stamina at any time)
Gold: 5
Jewels: 0

Equipment: Denim and Flannel Armor, Sword, Flint and Tinder, 3 bottles of concentrated senna, 7 oz brick of bubblegum, TALISMAN OF DEATH!!, Shades, Ring of Skill (increase Skill +1), jade rose

Kills: a sinister branch, the Envoy of Death, Vivisect, Temple Guard, Hawkana (may not be fully dead at this time)

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 18, 2015

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Let's go through the dumbledoors.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Run to the double doors!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
FINISH HER!!!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Bravely run away!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 31 posted:

The doors are still magically sealed shut. You cannot force them open. You turn to see that Hawkana has risen to her feet and taken up her sword again. Her eyes are filled with malice. 'You cannot kill me. This time I will carve out your spleen.' She is slower than before but you must fight her again.

HAWKANA Skill 9 Stamina 6

If you win, turn to 54.

The above picture is from a possible earlier encounter with Hawkana, included here because.

Rolling:
(9+3)<(12+10): Hawkana loses 2 Stamina
(9+5)<(12+10): Hawkana loses 2 Stamina
(9+8)<(12+8): Hawkana loses 2 Stamina, lets out a thundering death yawn and dies spleenless.

: AND STAY DOWN!!

Page 54 posted:

You notice that a ring on Hawkana's finger is glowing with a green light as her wounds close up. Quickly you take it off before she comes fully back to life. You place it on your own finger. It is a Ring of Regeneration; regain 6 Stamina points.

Will you now try to leave through the double doors (turn to 16), or search the Inner Sanctum (turn to 137)?

Character Sheet posted:

Stamina: 9/17

Potions: 1 Luck Potion (restore Luck to [Initial Value +1]), Willow Sap (+4 Stamina at any time)

Equipment: Denim and Flannel Armor, Sword, Flint and Tinder, 3 bottles of concentrated senna, 6 oz brick of bubblegum, TALISMAN OF DEATH!!, Shades, Ring of Skill (increase Skill +1), jade rose, Ring of Regeneration

Kills: a sinister branch, the Envoy of Death, Vivisect, Temple Guard, Hawkana (double deaded)

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

We've got the Talisman, let's get out while we can.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Try the doors again!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Search the Inner Sanctum for loot.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

poo poo the temple guardians aren't disappearing once we grab what we came for this us not how this works guys book it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

loot

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Let's load up on loot.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Loot! And eat a provision if we can.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Time to go!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

That ring? Imbued with the evil will of Fell-Kyrinla, tightens until it severs our finger, and docs us 1 Skill and 2 Stamina. So let's exit its field of effect.

Page 16 posted:

The doors open easily. It seems the magic has faded now that Hawkana is truly dead. The thieves have been spying on you through the keyhole. Scarface says, The door was locked and we couldn't get in.' He leads the way back up to the skylight. If you still have Hawkana's ring, you feel it grow cold and see that it has tarnished to a dull grey metal. Its magic only works within the Inner Sanctum.

Suddenly, the alarm bell tolls loudly. As you reach the top landing, a group of warrior-women appears on the stairs behind you in hot pursuit. You all run for the rope hanging from the skylight. As you reach it, you sense a movement at your side and dodge the murderous thrust of Bloodheart's dagger just in time. Before he can strike again, the warrior-women let loose a volley of crossbow bolts. Bloodheart's body is peppered with quarrels, shielding you as you climb the rope. Leaving the stricken Bloodheart to his fate, the remaining thieves jump agilely from the temple roof to the roof of a nearby house. You will have to jump, too.

Roll two dice.

If the total is less than or equal to your skill score, turn to 163.
If it is greater than your skill score, turn to 56.

Rolling...1,3<12

Page 163 posted:

You land safely next to the thieves. Scarface looks surprised to see you. 'Bloodheart?' he inquires. 'Failed, you treacherous dogs,' you reply, brandishing your sword. Jemmy the Rat turns tail and flees across the roof-tops. Lord Min looks at Scarface and shrugs. 'I'm not fighting the killer of Hawkana,' he says. They swing under the eaves and climb like spiders to an open window. Not wishing to attempt this climb, you make your way back to the safe house across the roof-tops, and climb down to the street, where you stop to regain your breath before leaving the city.

Turn to 235.

: Well, that could have gone worse. Now what?

Page 235 posted:

As you catch your breath three shadows appear on the road before you. Looking up, you see Tyutchev and Cassandra, with a hideous squid-like creature hovering in the air between them. One of the squid's tentacles is curled loosely around Cassandra's waist. 'We meet again,' says Tyutchev. 'Young Lord Min tells me you have been successful. Congratulations, you have done us a favour. Now you'll be glad, your peril is over. We are taking the Talisman.'

Grimly, you draw your sword. 'I see,' says Tyutchev. 'Then let me introduce Thaum,' he continues, gesturing towards the squid-like monster. Its form dissolves and becomes the man with the gold ear-ring arid flowing grey robes you saw producing flowers out of the air for the crowds. He is a Master of Illusion. At that moment a huge and ugly Troll appears from within the safe house. 'Here is Harg,' says Thaum. Harg raises a huge hammer ready to strike you.

Is he real, or is he one of Thaum's illusions?

If you attack the Troll, turn to 45.
If you allow his hammer to strike you, turn to 141.

: You really couldn't be bothered to summon a taller grunt?

Character Sheet posted:

Equipment: Denim and Flannel Armor, Sword, Flint and Tinder, 3 bottles of concentrated senna, 6 oz brick of bubblegum, TALISMAN OF DEATH!!, Shades, Ring of Skill (increase Skill +1), jade rose, Ring of Hawkana

Kills: a sinister branch, the Envoy of Death, Vivisect, Temple Guard, Hawkana (double deaded)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I can't help but want a third option, 'assume the troll is a disguised electric elemental and will instantly kill you if you hit it'.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Time for the troll to get some hammer time

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Might as well take one for the team (which only includes us).

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
It's probably a child with a knife, trumped up to look ugly. Kill it.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Let the hammer strike you! What could go wrong?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 141 posted:

Harg disappears before the hammer lands. 'Very good,' says Thaum. 'Now, what about this?'

Turn to 171.

We somehow lose 2 Stamina to the illusion if we trade blows with it.

Page 171 posted:

While Tyutchev draws his sword, Thaum points at you. From his finger a ball of multi-coloured fire flies towards you.

Will you try to avoid the fireball by running at Tyutchev (turn to 244), or hold your ground (turn to 225)?

Character Sheet posted:

Equipment: Denim and Flannel Armor, Sword, Flint and Tinder, 3 bottles of concentrated senna, 6 oz brick of bubblegum, TALISMAN OF DEATH!!, Shades, Ring of Skill (increase Skill +1), jade rose, Ring of Hawkana

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Stand your ground although I'm not even 100% clear on why we're fighting them.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Stand your ground although I'm not even 100% clear on why we're fighting them.

They are dicks who want the Talisman.

Umm... Charge?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Avoid the fireball by running at Tyutchev by err...running towards them!

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Closing in the gap seems like the best thing to do if we want to eventually shut him up, anyway, so let's do that.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 244 posted:

The fireball bursts behind you, but a burning pain sears your back and you smell charred cloth. Lose 3 Stamina points. If you are still alive, you press home your attack on Tyutchev.

Turn to 265.

Stamina now at 6/17.

Page 265 posted:

Tyutchev's bastard sword, almost as long as you, hums through the air as he parries your first attack with the agility of a cat. The black cloak he wears makes it difficult for you to tell exactly where he is. Cassandra and Thaum, looking confident, stand back to watch. You fight Tyutchev.

TYUTCHEV Skill 10 Stamina 12

After your first successful attack on him, turn to 301.

: At least you bastards have the good graces to take turns.

Rolling...
(10+7)>(12+4): Skroddy loses 2 Stamina
(10+9)>(12+4): Skroddy loses 2 Stamina
(10+6)<(12+7): Tyutchev loses 2 Stamina

Page 301 posted:

As soon as you wound Tyutchev, you notice Thaum gesturing. Tyutchev becomes invisible. As you start back in surprise, Cassandra is upon you, her sword darting at you. Tyutchev reappears behind you, raising his sword to strike and Thaum is gesturing again. You feel threatened from all sides and you are hard pressed to defend yourself.

Do you wish to call upon a God for aid (turn to 330), or do you think you can triumph by the skill of your own hand (turn to 292)?

: Seriously? One little knick and you're piling on too?

To keep things rolling, please vote for either our skill or a specific deity listed below:

Page 330 posted:

Which god will you call on?

Lifespirit Turn to 284.
Rocheval, God of the Paladins Turn to 361.
The All-Mother Turn to 248.
Fate Turn to 389.

Character Sheet posted:

Stamina: 2/17

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 21, 2015

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

All I need is a little HELP from my friend

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Using the health potion now would be good too.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
The All-mother hates Fell-Kyrinla and these guys, right? Let's call upon her.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Help me mother!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
One more hit and we're done for.

MOM PROTECT ME FROM THESE BULLIES!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I want my mommy!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

We've had one vote to consume our healing sap, and I think I'll throw in a provision on top of that unless there are objections.

Page 248 posted:

You are swept up in the talons of a great white eagle.

Your assailants are soon specks below you on the street. Rising high above the roof-tops you look to the south-east and see, far away, a mountain on top of a large plateau. A voice speaks in your head - the voice of the All-Mother. 'That is Mount Star-reach, your goal. At its summit lies the portal that will take you back to your own world.' For a moment it seems the eagle will bear you to the mountain, but the Talisman seems to weigh like a ball of lead around your neck and the eagle is forced to land in a deserted alley of Store Street. Before you can thank it, it takes to the air again and is soon soaring far above the city.

Are you wearing magical chainmail?

If you are, turn to 375.
If not, turn to 258.

: Oh c'mon Mom. You're dropping me off here?!?

Page 258 posted:

Store Street is an extension of Moorgate.

Will you hurry down Store Street to the end of Moorgate (turn to 237), or, if you had dinner with a Sage, ask the way to the cemetery (turn to 261)?

Dinner we have indeed had. To refresh your memory of the advice offered at that time - "'You can leave the city by the postern gate in the cemetery. If you get into serious trouble you may be able to call on the All-Mother for aid. To do so cry, "All-Mother, nature herself, preserve me."' Not sure why this particular phrase didn't make its way into the last page, but whatever, we got to fly through the sky and that doesn't suck.

Page 261 posted:

You stop a passing student who directs you to the cemetery. You run down Pallbearer's Row, anxious to escape from the city. As you approach the cemetery, an ox-cart, returning from the market, loses a wheel and overturns, almost blocking the road. You run for the gap between it and the cemetery wall, but it is blocked by a man with a shaven head.

He wears baggy scarlet trousers which end just below the knee and a loose scarlet jacket tied with a black cotton belt. On his forehead is a tattoo of a scarlet praying mantis. He doesn't seem inclined to let you pass.

Will you:

Ask him politely to let you through? Turn to 338.
Tell him to get out of your way? Turn to 311.
Attack him? Turn to 288.

: The urge to hunt down a loofa to see if I can scrub that...thing...off his forehead is startlingly strong.

Character Sheet posted:

Stamina: 10/17

Provisions (+4 Stamina): 8
Potions: 1 Luck Potion (restore Luck to [Initial Value +1])

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Ask politely

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Flies, honey, etc. The whole tough-guy act might be just a test. Plus he probably knows some sort of ancient art centered around kicking rear end.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I get the impression this is another call out to Way of the Tiger!

Attack him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

No harm in being polite!

• Locked thread