Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I was looking at an X-Man comic a couple weeks back and it sort of stuck out to me that, like, Wolverine is the dirty guy who says bub sometimes, Cyclops is the bossy aryan ubermensch who is sad about being able to shoot death rays out of his face, and that's really the whole of the consistent thread of who they are in any of these things. It just feels like that'd get pretty boring to read about after a few issues, let alone identify with them deeply like a lot of people seem to. There was a guy at work who was really into The Flash and owned a Flash costume he liked to dress up in, but even talking to him every day I got no idea of what made the Flash interesting except he presumably saved the universe a whole bunch, just like every other superhero. I think he thinks I'm wierd now because I called Spiderman one of the angsty heroes (from the movie) instead of one of the ones who makes lots of jokes (from the comic books I guess? But not the newspaper ones). But they're all Spiderman and they call them all Spiderman without any distinctions and they're supposed to be the same guy, and there's like comic books based on the movie where Spiderman is really mopy and doesn't make jokes too. It sort of seems to me like the fortieth time Superman saves the world from ultimate annihilation, or dies but not really because it was a clone or they went back in time, you could write a much more interesting story about the things he saw going down to the corner store to get a gallon of milk, but then it's not really a story about Superman anymore. Which maybe is the point. Does it matter if you save the universe if there's a dozen parallel people saving the universe three times a week, and also they all seem to have crossovers so you have to buy dozens of comic books to have any clear idea what's going on for like a twenty-page stretch? What if the world got destroyed and they just left it that way and never changed it back, I think that'd be kinda cool, give actual weight to everything being superhumanly powerful and bigger than a city. Like someone was trying to explain to me why Darkseid was supposed to be a really big deal because he's always almost beating all the heroes and taking over everything, but he's a goof in a bad suit who seems less menacing than any kid with his dad's gun because the kid can shoot someone and they'll stay dead forever, and nobody they know will ever be able to bring them back, and that person probably had a life that was more than a design doc of vocal quirks and a CV of times they saved the universe anyway. IDK if there's something I'm missing where it's only the comic books I read that suck or if I just missed the boat because I didn't get into the habit of buying them all at age 8, I know I was really into lego then and a lot of people don't really 'get it' when I get all excited about spring steel now, am I the comic books guy of buggy frames and robot parts and I just don't know it, I just wanted to have a fun conversation with that dude at work

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
makes u think

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

There was a guy at work who was really into The Flash and owned a Flash costume he liked to dress up in,

Where do you work that you can dress like superheroes?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm out of the loop, now GBS is doing prank treads making GBS threads on the other band forums and giggling about owning people in their own thread?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

BoredDG posted:

Where do you work that you can dress like superheroes?

I don't think he ever wore it at work, could be wrong tho. Nobody really gives a poo poo what you look like in the crappier federal agencies

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm out of the loop, now GBS is doing prank treads making GBS threads on the other band forums and giggling about owning people in their own thread?

My questions were 100% sincere albeit written from an 'outsider' perspective, what is the terrible thing you think could happen if you made a good thoughtful post here. I cannot give you a noogie, and would not.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

My questions were 100% sincere albeit written from an 'outsider' perspective, what is the terrible thing you think could happen if you made a good thoughtful post here. I cannot give you a noogie, and would not.
I'm sorry you put more time into making a shitpost honeypot than the other guy but are still getting fewer replies. Your internet friends still respect you I bet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Comic books are terrible. There is no point.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm sorry you put more time into making a shitpost honeypot than the other guy but are still getting fewer replies. Your internet friends still respect you I bet.

We do respect him, and get this: we respect you too, Edge & Christian. You'd be a happier person if you stopped looking at this at an invasion and started looking at it as an attempt to loosen up a bit and maybe even engage with some topics and questions from a perspective you wouldn't otherwise think to.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I too think wall of text no one reads is a valid perspective.

But to honestly answer the question, the point of comics is butt stuff.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

enigmahfc posted:

But to honestly answer the question, the point of comics is butt stuff.

Yeah, this answer is legit OP

edit: I gotta admit I didn't read the OP either

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 20, 2015

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

edge & christian seems like a cool guy

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I was looking at an X-Man comic a couple weeks back and it sort of stuck out to me that, like, Wolverine is the dirty guy who says bub sometimes, Cyclops is the bossy aryan ubermensch who is sad about being able to shoot death rays out of his face, and that's really the whole of the consistent thread of who they are in any of these things. It just feels like that'd get pretty boring to read about after a few issues, let alone identify with them deeply like a lot of people seem to. There was a guy at work who was really into The Flash and owned a Flash costume he liked to dress up in, but even talking to him every day I got no idea of what made the Flash interesting except he presumably saved the universe a whole bunch, just like every other superhero. I think he thinks I'm wierd now because I called Spiderman one of the angsty heroes (from the movie) instead of one of the ones who makes lots of jokes (from the comic books I guess? But not the newspaper ones). But they're all Spiderman and they call them all Spiderman without any distinctions and they're supposed to be the same guy, and there's like comic books based on the movie where Spiderman is really mopy and doesn't make jokes too. It sort of seems to me like the fortieth time Superman saves the world from ultimate annihilation, or dies but not really because it was a clone or they went back in time, you could write a much more interesting story about the things he saw going down to the corner store to get a gallon of milk, but then it's not really a story about Superman anymore. Which maybe is the point. Does it matter if you save the universe if there's a dozen parallel people saving the universe three times a week, and also they all seem to have crossovers so you have to buy dozens of comic books to have any clear idea what's going on for like a twenty-page stretch? What if the world got destroyed and they just left it that way and never changed it back, I think that'd be kinda cool, give actual weight to everything being superhumanly powerful and bigger than a city. Like someone was trying to explain to me why Darkseid was supposed to be a really big deal because he's always almost beating all the heroes and taking over everything, but he's a goof in a bad suit who seems less menacing than any kid with his dad's gun because the kid can shoot someone and they'll stay dead forever, and nobody they know will ever be able to bring them back, and that person probably had a life that was more than a design doc of vocal quirks and a CV of times they saved the universe anyway. IDK if there's something I'm missing where it's only the comic books I read that suck or if I just missed the boat because I didn't get into the habit of buying them all at age 8, I know I was really into lego then and a lot of people don't really 'get it' when I get all excited about spring steel now, am I the comic books guy of buggy frames and robot parts and I just don't know it, I just wanted to have a fun conversation with that dude at work

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

you should visit gbs sometime

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

A Wizard of Goatse is a really awesome username.

I was trying to remember what year FYAD was named FYAG earlier today and couldn't.

MyNameIsAlex
Dec 26, 2011

By jungle law
the ghost who walks
calls forth the strength of ten tigers
cawmics r kewl. *smiles*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

I assumed FYAD was leaking. Again. But I guess it could be GBS "owning" us.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

*giggles at having owned you*

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Endless Mike posted:

I assumed FYAD was leaking. Again. But I guess it could be GBS "owning" us.

I thought FYAD and GBS were the same thing now?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Seems like your problem is that you don't like that a character behaves differently when they're being written by different people. Maybe you should just look up who has the best long flash run and just read everything by that guy. Or you could stick to something creator owned where the writer isn't going to change, like astro city. Astro city is good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Don't read superhero comics, they're crap.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cabbit posted:

I thought FYAD and GBS were the same thing now?

FYAD is pink, GBS is gray.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I didn't read any of that, but I only read good web comics or independent graphic novels because of how smart I am.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Voted 5 because I'm for anything that ruffles E&C's feathers.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
this is why comics are:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I can't speak for anyone else, but the main draw for me is the men in skintight costumes with crotch bulges.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

A lot of superhero comics can be really boring and bad that way but some have interesting interpersonal drama, and also sometimes it just looks cool and you want an escapist story where the heroes save the day instead of an exploration of the human condition, and sometimes you luck out and get a story that is both and then it's cool and nice.

The problem with a lot of superhero comics especially is that there's so many of them and sometimes if you just try to pick one up it's in the middle of stuff or has a bad writer or bad artist and you think "wow this is bad" and it's kind of a genre where it's safer to just ask folks what the good stuff is instead sometimes. I guess this is also true for TV and movies too honestly in that there are a lot of bad shows and bad movies but not in quite the same way because a bad TV show getting canceled is different from a bad run of a comic, where someone else will just come along in a couple months and start using the characters you associated with 'bad' except now suddenly the guy writing it isn't bad????

It's just a hobby that some people like and enjoy and it is not always good or enlightening but sometimes it is just fun, and sometimes it's fun to laugh at the bad stuff, and sometimes it's even sort of fun to get angry at and make fun of the stuff that's very bad. I know that I am having a nice time reading comics and I like to look at the pictures and read the stories and talk about them with friends and with the internet. But not everyone likes doing these things! We live in a world where it is OK not to "get" things and to just go enjoy other things instead.

Anyway I've never really read any Flash comics so I couldn't tell you what ones are good or not but I guess someone else here could try or maybe not! Maybe the guy at work is just bad at expressing himself. Did you ask him why he likes the Flash and all he did was list off a litany of times Flash saved the world? Maybe that is just what he likes and he thinks the costume is cool or the going-real-fast power is cool and he doesn't care about other things. I think that is fine even if it's a boring reason, to me, to like a hero.

Good luck and please have a nice day.

Also someone else said you might like creator owned things and I think that can be a good route for starting to read comics, if you want to start to read them, but if you don't that is also cool and chill.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Voted 5 because I'm for anything that ruffles E&C's feathers.
Congrats on being in support of human trafficking and spelling "a lot" "alot"!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

lyke dis if u cry evrytme

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

I like to imagine he's just said some incredibly terse Batman type thing and she's thinking of that to relax herself.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cnut the Great posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but the main draw for me is the men in skintight costumes with crotch bulges.

most artists flatten out the bulges :(

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So far as I can tell, the point is for them to be made into TV shows that are better than the comics in p. much every way, see Batman: Brave and the Bold

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel this. I'm not really into comics, but I really like the idea of comics. I read a lot of newsprint trades when I was a kid, so like, when the first X-Men movie came out, I knew all kinds of backstory. I also watched the spiderman animated series (not good) and Batman The Animated Series (pretty great). Every so often, I think "I will get into comics! it's a cheaper hobby than drinking..." but then I pick up a few books and so much of it is really, unreadably juvenile. Some comics are good though,but it's hard to have good timing. A new comic book store just opened on free comic book day, (which was yesterday, I guess) and I went there and it was terrible. I mean the staff was nice, and it was a clean store, but they didn't have much selection and I looked at their new releases section and there wasn't a single thing I was interested in. I thought when I was walking in "I don't care if I have to jump in the middle of something, I'll just grab the newest batman, or something recognizable" but I guess there's some big event called "Convergence" going on now in DC, and all the DC books were part of that. Marvel titles are all "Superior" something, which sounds like some other continuity like "Ultimates".

I really wish I'd gone to the old comic book store, but whatever. I picked up the penultimate issue of Iron Fist: the Living Weapon and thought it kicked rear end even though I had no context for what's going on, so I ordered the first volume of that, as well as Immortal Iron Fist vol 1 right after I read it. Also after poking around here I think I really want to check out the most recent Hawkeye series. I need to catch up on TMNT, which I really liked the first 16ish issues of.

But if I hadn't gotten lucky and found Iron Fist, or seen the origin of pizza dog on these forums, I would still feel completely alienated from this weird world of comic books that can be really hard to penetrate.

You can't get around the fact that a lot of comics are pretty simplistic appeals to juvenile and adolescent interests. But really, TV and movies are the same way. When comics are good, they are character dramas pared with impactful art. And it's subjective, but just like television, there's a lot of comics out there. When you find the one where you relate to the subject matter and the art grabs you, it's every bit at good as discovering a new show that you like.

Even then though, if you're like me and not familiar with the world of comic books, it can be hard to proceed. I can't believe how hard it is to find what comic series are available and ongoing. I want to find a book that I can buy ever issue as it comes out. To have a book to look forward to, rather than one to buy up back issues of online. Still working on that.

edit: haha I just now found on Marvel's website where I can brows series's. I tried for like 20 minutes the other day to figure out how to do that but somehow never saw the popout menu. Maybe I'm too dumb for comic books...

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 4, 2015

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
As a filthy hairy short man who says bub a lot I

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Snak posted:

edit: haha I just now found on Marvel's website where I can brows series's. I tried for like 20 minutes the other day to figure out how to do that but somehow never saw the popout menu. Maybe I'm too dumb for comic books...

Naw, the Marvel website is goddamn atrocious and sucks really hard to try and navigate, don't worry. (Browsing series is a really frustrating experience too! Yaaay.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Naw, the Marvel website is goddamn atrocious and sucks really hard to try and navigate, don't worry. (Browsing series is a really frustrating experience too! Yaaay.)

Thank god it's not just me. And even with the browse feature, the fact that, for example, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon has been cancelled, and while it says 2014-present, there's only going to be, I think one more issue.

Also, what the hell are publishing dates? Why are they in the future? or rather, why are they in the future on marvel.wikia.com? for example Iron Fist: Living Weapon #11 says "Published June 2015" well it's out (I own it), and oh next to that it says "Released April 1, 2015" what the gently caress does that mean? How can something be released before it is published? I thought maybe "oh they are saying the compilation vol , containing issues 7-12 will be released in June, and that's just how they say it in this industry" but no, issue 10 says it was published in May, but it came out March 4th. On Marvel.com, the dates listed on marvel.wikia as release dates are listed as publishing dates, which makes sense, since it's when they were published. I would understand if there were just mistakes on the wiki, cause wikis are prone to those, but they also have the right date, so why did they do it that way?

It's mind boggling to me that, even when I find a comic I think I like, it's really hard for me to actually find any information about it. Why is this industry so unfriendly to newcomers?

I would really like for this thread to keep existing for awhile. Before finding it, I was tempted to start a "newbie questions" thread, but I think this might encompass that, because my questions aren't just about comics themselves. but about why this industry is so loving weird, even in 2015...

surc
Aug 17, 2004

OP its because you get the joy of reading and also the joy of cool art.

Also there's stuff that just works in the medium that wouldn't work elsewhere even though a lot of it is crap. For example I thought the watchmen movie blew largely because it was a totally faithful adaption and so much of what makes watchmen great is the ways they take advantage of the comic book medium to tell the story. Like for real I think it is the Citizen Kane of comics, although better because it's also a cool story written by a drugged out British anarchistic wizard on top of the technical mastery of the medium and pushing the limits of what you can do with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Regarding marvel.wikia.com, I don't think that's maintained by Marvel, so blame the people who edit it for any weirdness. THAT SAID, publication date is the date displayed on the interior indicium, while release date is exactly that. It's a weird tradition that comes from the magazine industry where you post-date the magazine so that 1) it looks current when people see it and 2) retailers know when to remove it from the stand. I think you're making a bigger deal about something than is really necessary.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Regarding marvel.wikia.com, I don't think that's maintained by Marvel, so blame the people who edit it for any weirdness. THAT SAID, publication date is the date displayed on the interior indicium, while release date is exactly that. It's a weird tradition that comes from the magazine industry where you post-date the magazine so that 1) it looks current when people see it and 2) retailers know when to remove it from the stand. I think you're making a bigger deal about something than is really necessary.

I see. I'm not trying to "make a big deal out of it", it's just strange to me that there are so many little things that make comics hard to get into as an entertainment medium.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess I am just not getting what about publication dates makes it difficult, especially when it's something that other, more mainstream mediums do without confusing anyone. Other things being confusing, sure, but the date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Snak posted:

I see. I'm not trying to "make a big deal out of it", it's just strange to me that there are so many little things that make comics hard to get into as an entertainment medium.

Comics have been around for a while and had time to pick up a lot of weird stuff. Think of how TV shows bounce around between slots, or how lovely IMDB was for a while. Organizational problems are just the nature of trying to organize masses of media. :shrug: Publishing date isn't a problem for me because I just ignore it and go to the comic store every week or two to see what's out. (E: Again, think of that like checking the TV listings to make sure your favorite show hasn't been moved due to playoffs or whatever. You could also just call in instead of going into a store if there's none close by)

Any time there's been a run I've wanted to read, I basically just google "X reading order" and there will be like 5 results on the first page with exactly what I need (except the batman inc stuff, I didn't pick that up as it was coming out and for some reason I've never found a list that gave me the full reading order surrounding that, but that's the curse of having like 30 batman titles running at once :argh:).

If you're having trouble figuring out reading order on older stuff, just pick up TPBs/digital collections. That's probably cheaper than going the individual issue route anyway, and will really simplify things for you unless it's for a current story-arc.

surc fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 4, 2015

• Locked thread