Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Tayter Swift posted:

does it input either one? And how does that weird midi out on the top work, looks like it's a mini jack or smth?

don't think you can use it as a converter like you're thinking, but I haven't tried. the only ins the thing have is the USB (for sync) and a minijack sync-in thing you can use with stuff like the volcas. i actually kinda a miss a midi in for syncing it ,so i could use it without a computer, but whatevs.

the midi out is a minijack, but the unit comes with a mini jack -> midi converter dongle thingie. same as the one that comes with the arturia beatstep (which i also have, awesome to use it to control stuff like the cv on the microbrutes filter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i have 2 of these on order, i'm excite

http://axoloti.be/

these would be perfect for interfacing different kinds of nerd things together. its a board that you program with a bill gates microsoft windows computer and then its a standalone thing. it has audio i/o, midi i/o, and lots of general purpose i/o for knobs, buttons, leds, robot dongs

the programming environment is graphical so hooray, none of that stupid code nonsense

quote:

Axoloti is a platform that blends sketching of digital audio algorithms with the musical playability of standalone hardware.

The Axoloti Patcher offers a “patcher” environment similar to Max/MSP, Pure Data or Reaktor.

there are plenty of ways to make your own solution but this is cool because it works out of the box. i have all kinds of microcontrollers lying around but i cba. this suits my needfuls

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Granbar posted:

don't think you can use it as a converter like you're thinking, but I haven't tried. the only ins the thing have is the USB (for sync) and a minijack sync-in thing you can use with stuff like the volcas. i actually kinda a miss a midi in for syncing it ,so i could use it without a computer, but whatevs.

the midi out is a minijack, but the unit comes with a mini jack -> midi converter dongle thingie. same as the one that comes with the arturia beatstep (which i also have, awesome to use it to control stuff like the cv on the microbrutes filter)

hm that's a bummer. i know it does midi-cv conversion without the sequencer running

Wonder if I can build one with little bits and/or and arduino but i probably can't be arsed

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Granbar posted:

been playing around with the demo version of that, and it kicks asssss. gonna buy it i think

also recently got a microbrute. the only other new analog ive owned is the slim phatty (sold that b/c of the lovely interface) and im really digging it! sounds so differen compared to all the other old poo poo i have. think im done with vintage synths for the time being. too expensive/restrictive/possibly faulty for me to bother with. ive been toying around with the idea of starting to build a eurorack modular, but im not sure
im rdy for that rabbit hole with my current economy......

also got a korg sq1 which im mainly using with my mono/poly atm. very musical step sequencer, totallt recommend it!
friend snagged a mono/poly back in high school for like $75, i loved using that thing

please to enjoy my pile of things:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have no where near enough money to buy those things i am jealous. at least piracy is very cheap

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Trig Discipline posted:

we used to gig with these guys back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roIKiIgV_RE

their guitarist had a floor "synth" that was crazy old and weird looking, and it only produced two notes. you could switch between notes by pressing a button. he had a ton of different stories about where it came from and who originally made it but eventually he confessed that it was actually two walkmen in a box tarted up to look like a synth, with each tape loop just having a single synth note going forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKtZwWLMp8

devo used a weird synth with capacitative metal floor pedals. at about 3:30 in it goes nuts from condensation and you can see crew guys over there trying to get it to work again.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

i have no where near enough money to buy those things i am jealous. at least piracy is very cheap

this is why i like my sampler angle. true, i dont have the analog oscillators and all that, but i get a: really good filtering (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNH2g6Q_RgA)

and the ability to use it, well, as a sampler.

and it was 37 dollars plus shipping because nobody thinks samplers can do anything any more

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
pro click: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eigT6DvHJo

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je_wpznrqbM

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

echinopsis posted:

buy broken poo poo, 90% of the time its just a blown fuse or something

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i've got a Casio CZ101 with a bad power plug and a Roland S-10 sampler with a bad floppy drive and a box of 2.5" floppies full of samples. casio synths had a unique sound. exhibit A

i wish i had the S-50 with video monitor output

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 21, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKtZwWLMp8

devo used a weird synth with capacitative metal floor pedals. at about 3:30 in it goes nuts from condensation and you can see crew guys over there trying to get it to work again.

lol awesome

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Clavavisage posted:

buy broken poo poo, 90% of the time its just a blown fuse or something

i bought a roland handsonic used from mf for $400 that had some sensitivity issues. funny thing is they sold it to me with a warranty so i basically took it home and immediately sent it in to be repaired for free and got a more-or-less new handsonic for way cheap

i lurv my handsonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDvSXmSHKKE

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Chris Knight posted:

friend snagged a mono/poly back in high school for like $75, i loved using that thing

please to enjoy my pile of things:

I'd love a mono/poly but I'm convinced that any synth that old has serious issues and leak battery acid or some poo poo, or they're two grand plus

the soft synth monopoly is great fun tho, wish korg would make an iPad app of it

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
also is that a vectrex

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

I'd love a mono/poly but I'm convinced that any synth that old has serious issues and leak battery acid or some poo poo, or they're two grand plus

the soft synth monopoly is great fun tho, wish korg would make an iPad app of it

i wonder if they'll do a mini-version of it, like with the MS20 and Odyssey.

korg pls tell me now so I can sell my mono/poly while it's still worth a lot!!!

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

jony ive aces posted:

anklepants' music is annoyingly munkeycheez but he gets points for effort

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ios has some really rad synths, sunrizer is a really quality va with super thick sounds

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

also is that a vectrex

yep!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
for the dw8000 I did the battery holder mod and then reloaded the factory patches that some guy had on his site in wav files. hooked it up to the line out on my computer to simulate a tape drive and the thing's right back to a fresh state

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
my gear collection is just an illogical jumble of stuff i bought secondhand from friends or won in contests - some big midi keyboard (no synth, controller only), some janky behringcrap BCR2000 knobs thing, and a 3 channel (6 if you want to sperg about stereo) mixer. not a whole lot of use for an analog mixer if i just use the other stuff to do dumb digital things on my laptop :buddy: (e: actually i also have a 3 channel usb soundcard so could maybe do something with it if the latency isn't hosed) but they're all just sitting in boxes atm

but when i was a kid we had a casio keyboard - no midi, just your standard cheapo casiocore pos but it also had this badass paula abdul cover as a "demo" that you couldn't actually reproduce with the real thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJibcKP9kE8
i hope my parents still have it somewhere :allears:

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 22, 2015

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

jony ive aces posted:

my gear collection is just an illogical jumble of stuff i bought secondhand from friends or won in contests - some big midi keyboard (no synth, controller only), some janky behringcrap BCR2000 knobs thing, and a 3 channel (6 if you want to sperg about stereo) mixer. not a whole lot of use for an analog mixer if i just use the other stuff to do dumb digital things on my laptop :buddy: (e: actually i also have a 3 channel usb soundcard so could maybe do something with it if the latency isn't hosed) but they're all just sitting in boxes atm

but when i was a kid we had a casio keyboard - no midi, just your standard cheapo casiocore pos but it also had this badass paula abdul cover as a "demo" that you couldn't actually reproduce with the real thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJibcKP9kE8
i hope my parents still have it somewhere :allears:

just put that BCR2000 on the kerb and i'll come and pick it up

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMMnj5FfgHU

:smugmrgw:

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThLZanhneb8
sick computer

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

I got one for Christmas in like '86 with the same demo song :getin:

I should do a vaporwave cover

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
my setup is a korg sv-1 which rules rules rules but no real synth gear other than software. i bought a dam drum but it's waiting at my mom's house for me to swing through that hemisphere and pick it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw_I5QuhcWk

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
software > hardware anyway

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

wayfinder posted:

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
altho its nice to have dedicated buttons and knobs for things

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flat Daddy posted:

like a woman

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i need a new laptop timb ship the new macbook pros

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just ordered a $700 had drive for my kontakt samples wheeeee

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
i never understood "speedcore"

like they claim it has eleventy billion bpms but structurally it's as if it's at a more "normal" (for hardcore) tempo like 180 or whatever but with a bunch of other poo poo thrown in at fractions of a beat. or it is that fast but has hundreds of beats in a bar

true speedcore tracks would be only a few seconds long

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 23, 2015

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

wayfinder posted:

Flat Daddy posted:

:agreed:

i have big respect for people who do weird modular things but for me personally i'm more interested in doing things in software with extra knobs and buttons as input devices (sorry honked, i kinda said bad things about my BCR2000 but i'm going to keep it. i'd better start actually using it soon or it will be a waste tho)

p. much my to do list for music at the moment is
  • buy a novation launchpad or two

• figure out what software to use (probably just buy ableton live lol)

• find time to actually do stuff

• e: find space to actually set up all my equipment :(

i also have a anroid tablet i could use as a button grid in place of a launchpad, which would have the advantage of allowing more colours and actual text displays, but i like having literal physical buttons to play with :3: (that ableton push thing looks interesting but idk)
could still use the tablet for other stuff like xy pads or i guess i have a conspicuous lack of faders atm unless i go full retard on behringer gear and buy a BCF2000 to go with the BCR

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
oh wait for faders this looks better

they're not motorised but it's cheaper :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
trouble with hardware w shitloads of knobs and faders is they aren't labeled so I never remember to use them

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

what's that?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

is it like a miniature midi synth inside the plug because that would own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evacuate meatspace
Jun 26, 2014

there is a monster at
the end of this thread

Jonny 290 posted:

ableton's looper is integral enough to my live music thingy that yeah i beat the hell out of it

since my crackhead tenants trashed all my poo poo i have to build a new pedalboard
but i can do it better this time

i'd be interested to see what you come up with. do you do that multiple looper/chain select thing?

I found a neat max4live plugin for looping without a pedal. it records instantly upon input and then plays back without intervention: http://maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=1007

I use this when I want to avoid count-ins and to leave no chance of introducing silence at the start of the loop.

Nothing amazing, but ableton's looper is pretty limited and looping software seems scarce. i had a bad time with mobius looper

• Locked thread