Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

electronic music and synths have always kind of interested me but i don't even know where to begin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
writing a big rear end effortpost on synth stuff is on my to do list, maybe tonight but idk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
somebody should get subtractive, somebody additive, somebody FM, umm extra credit wavetable?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my tips are as follows

fm synth sounds badass if you modulate with half and quarter values

add a sharply decreasing envelope of a sharper sound to your mellow sound for a plucking/attack effect

if in doubt go down an octave

clamp your midi into a scale if you know gently caress all about music theory

triangle waves own

thins almost always sound better with a doubled and detune synth

tbf the tunes I make bite but I'm gonna blame that on lack of taste rather than always using those tips

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
dibs on subtractive

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

if in doubt go down

text me

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

somebody should get subtractive, somebody additive, somebody FM, umm extra credit wavetable?

vector, phase distortion.....

i'll start

romplers: they're kinda poo poo, they're kinda cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQtiA6okPMI

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Clavavisage posted:

vector, phase distortion.....

i'll start

romplers: they're kinda poo poo, they're kinda cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQtiA6okPMI

Neat an FB-01, I have one of those. It's like a retarded module version of a DX-7

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Captain Foo posted:

electronic music and synths have always kind of interested me but i don't even know where to begin

get korg gadget if you have an ipad

garageband if you have a mac

fruityloops if you have a PC

watch the intro video and start the tutorials at http://www.synth.tk/ and play them back so you hear what each parameter sounds like

when you get bored or distracted, open up the music you want to put on in the daw (digital audio workstation), play it, and start cutting it up into sections

soon u will touch the hearts and minds of millions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CItEvQjMM7I

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Unless posted:

watch the intro video and start the tutorials at http://www.synth.tk/ and play them back so you hear what each parameter sounds like

when you get bored or distracted, open up the music you want to put on in the daw (digital audio workstation), play it, and start cutting it up into sections

soon u will touch the hearts and minds of millions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CItEvQjMM7I

quotin' this for thanks and also so i can find it later

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
you know what im not going to make a gigantic effortpost on how subtractive synthesis works, there's lots of places to find it which describe it better than i do and they use capital letters and everything

cliff's notes: subtractive synthesis was the first kind of synth invented, and it's common enough that when someone talks about a 'synthesizer' it's relatively safe to assume these days that it's a subtractive synthesizer, especially if it's one made prior to 1983 or so (before the DX7 came out, which was FM and also the most popular synth ever made saleswise). subtractive synthesis is kindof like making a sculpure: you start out with a big block of harmonically-rich waveform such as a sawtooth ('buzzy,' think of a trumpet) or square ('hollow,' think of a clarinet) and run it through filters to take out the frequencies you don't want.

if you really want to get into the nuts and bolts of how synths work (and you do cuz its fascinating), there's two real good series on sound on sound's website:

Synth School 12 parts, no graphics so it's hard to visualize how things like filters work but the info is good
Synth Secrets -- long as gently caress but comprehensive and owns, everyone getting into synthesis should read the whole drat thing, gordon reid is god

neither of those are flat-out 'turn this knob to do this' tutorials but instead give you what's going on behind the scenes which is important because the knobs on a polysix do pretty much the same thing as the knobs on a minimoog, they're just labeled differently and each has a few extra bells and whistles

if you want to go the book route, there's a couple good ones:

Refining Sound (covers the basics of all types of synths, not just subtractive)

How to Make a Noise (free book, i haven't read it but i have one or two of his others and they're legit)

as far as your first steps:

if you have an ipad, congratulations you own the gateway to dozens of cheap as gently caress synths. i think i would start off with caustic, which is a suite of like 15 synths and a relatively easy to use interface. Korg Gadget is great with the same idea as caustic (a bunch of little synths rather than one giant fuckoff synths) but it's like $30 or something. and Korg Polysix is probably my favorite synth of all time, the ensemble mode on it is so goddamn good

if you have a mac, you have garage band, which means you can use that to play synths. i don't have time to step through how to do this right now, but a good free starter synth is TyrellN6 from u-he, one of the best synth makers in the business. i think that has most if not all of the 'common' features most subtractive synthesizers have

on a pc? i don't know first hand but you need a vst host; looks like there's a free one here, then you can use the TyrellN6 synth listed above

finally, if you really want to learn what all the knobs and stuff do and are willing to spend $$, Syntorial is a real good mac/pc app that gives you a step-by-step of what every knob and slider does, with shitloads of practice exercises. it's $150 which is about the going price of a typical software synth but totally worth it.

if you're going to start the hardware plunge and :homebrew: the gently caress out, the microbrute is nice and at $300 or so is p much the cheapest synth out there. it's good

and if you want to get into modular and eurorack poo poo then eat a bullet you bougie gently caress

tyfr :tip shat:

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
here's the wavetable effortpost: buy a Korg 01/W and throw all your other lovely keyboards away

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
wave table synthesis makes me think of the ppg wave which makes me think of the ppg wave soft synth which makes me think gently caress iloks forever

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
does ppg stand for powerpuff girls

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don't remember so yes

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Unless posted:

i should point out in case there are production nerds who'll say poo poo like "garageband + fruityloops are idiot garbage", the daw or gear you use is incidental in the creation of music. you can make great music out of a tin can.e. been said
a lot of my (live or recorded) poo poo is made on large amplifiers w/ loopers (and trackers in addition to physical instruments), trackers in particular are because my brain is broken(only use *nix operation systems, grew up with trackers so other workflows aren't as natural). my setup is constantly in flux as i've needed to liquidate my gear time and time again. i've been meaning to catch up with this thread but i've been very sick with some bullshit since friday. that synth.tk link is cool some good info in this thread so far =)

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 25, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

daft punk railroad posted:

here's the wavetable effortpost: buy a blofeld and throw all your other lovely keyboards away

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i rly wish i hadn't sold mine :(

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

and if you want to get into modular and eurorack poo poo then eat a bullet you bougie gently caress

or just get Modular for the ipad and save yourself literally thousands of dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUNgCSW4WmU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
if anyone wants to get into deep synth sperg territory and really start building your own synths from the math up, audulus is available on the ipad and it's pretty nice. for actual computers i'd probably still go with reaktor though. not as pretty as audulus but drat is it flexible

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
were there even any unix trackers i thought it was all dos until like 95

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
i should REALLY get into reaktor

it's just sitting there

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wayfinder posted:

i should REALLY get into reaktor

it's just sitting there

it's great to just find some tutorials and work through. you learn a lot, but i'm not sure i'm ever going to be "hmmmm i want to make such-and-such sound" and then go to reaktor for my first attempt. it's a lot of effort

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
same

but it does have like 50 other synths already built in :shrug:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I could have saved the money I paid a friend to code a custom effect for me probably

i mean it was just twenty bucks but i own reaktor already

edit: on the other hand, takes time to learn that poo poo

don't get me wrong i love learning but it takes time

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

wayfinder posted:

don't get me wrong i love learning but it takes time

musicasahobby.txt

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
we're to the point where a single person can pretty much make an album start to finish in an apartment, except for maybe vocals

except that means one person needs to know how all the instruments work, effects, recording techniques, mixing poo poo like compressors and EQ, balancing, mastering etc etc etc

the technology is there but the time to learn all this poo poo just isn't

fun as hell to try tho

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

we're to the point where a single person can pretty much make an album start to finish in an apartment, except for maybe vocals

except that means one person needs to know how all the instruments work, effects, recording techniques, mixing poo poo like compressors and EQ, balancing, mastering etc etc etc

fun as hell to try tho

p much how i've done all of my albums in the last 15 years. it's great because you have infinite time to tweak and polish, but it sucks because you have infinite time to tweak and polish

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

musicasahobby.txt

hey now i have 1 (one) official release out on a label im technically not a hobbyist any more!!!!

also i have really approximately 0 interest in recording physical instruments but the rest of this stuff is so loving fascinating

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Tayter Swift posted:

fun as hell to try tho

as a result from doing it by myself only for like 10+ years, i cant work any other way now. its very rewarding to do everything yourself.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

reaktor is really easy to learn. the only difficulty comes from the fact that the programming environment is absolute garbage and you'll spend most of your time doing really tedious wiring and re-wiring of modules together and double clicking on the tiny little ports to rename them and if your structure has any kind of feedback or iteration happening then lol good luck debugging that poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if somehow you could peice together a synth the way you piece together visual code in ue4 i would be absolute fuckin heaven

maybe someone should make that

or maybe thats what reacktor is and i dont have a clue

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
it owuld be cool to have an app that you coudl wire everything up with pretend wires including your pc mic and speakers and headphones

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wayfinder posted:

hey now i have 1 (one) official release out on a label im technically not a hobbyist any more!!!!

also i have really approximately 0 interest in recording physical instruments but the rest of this stuff is so loving fascinating

Same, I had a track signed to a record label. It sold literally one copy on Beatport. I'm a pro!

and im the exact opposite, im bored of synths but give me a jazz bass and a rack of fx and i will entertain myself until end of world

bobbilljim posted:

it owuld be cool to have an app that you coudl wire everything up with pretend wires including your pc mic and speakers and headphones

kX drivers for audiopci used to do this

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
make everything with 808s ONLY

alternatively,

making big room out of the sound of a dick hitting a toilet seat

e: this came up in my recommended https://soundcloud.com/antonymo/busta-the-tank-engine

bobbilljim fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 26, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

if somehow you could peice together a synth the way you piece together visual code in ue4 i would be absolute fuckin heaven

maybe someone should make that

or maybe thats what reacktor is and i dont have a clue

that's p much what reaktor and audulus are yeah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the "oh i'd love to build stuff up" thing only works if you almost obsessively go at it from a modular level and save your components in libraries for building blocks later

if you try to build a good sounding synth from scratch every time you will a: get burnt out or b: end up writing "'"chiptunes"'" cause you're sick of connecting blocks and say ehh a square wave's good enough

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Trig Discipline posted:

or just get Modular for the ipad and save yourself literally thousands of dollars
it doesn't sound warm enough :colbert:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
lol one of my friends is complaining on facebook about the new ableton that's in beta not supporting xp, vista or older mac oses because "some people" (written as if he's not talking about himself but i honestly can't tell which is more likely) might still be running that poo poo to use older programs that break on modern systems or they're just scared an os upgrade will break their delicate setup

i was like "maybe if they're running an out of date os to support out of date software they won't mind keeping an out of date ableton" but he wasn't convinced :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Jonny 290 posted:

Same, I had a track signed to a record label. It sold literally one copy on Beatport. I'm a pro!
linku

• Locked thread