Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced

RattiRatto posted:

I worship the teapot orbiting in the solar system. There is even a theory behind that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

if you seriously think there's a chance people who clicked on this thread don't know about Russel's Teapot you're still scrub-tier athiest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
teapot around the moon hm no god i guess, nice one bert

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
philosophy? i have enough of it from the Book of Russell to live and die by , tyvm

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
nice point fag aids death fag, nice mutton chops huxley wannab,e masturbator++++

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80oLTiVW_lc

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

this rules

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this is the most smug thing in the world. incredible

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

quakster posted:

this is the most smug thing in the world. incredible

bertrand russell is a lot smarter than you and has the right to be smug

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

he's p cool in fact about everything but atheism. on that he's bland

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Pascal's wager is p dumb.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Ben Smash posted:

*doesn't bring up godlessness on first date*
*has a fun conversation about pop culture*
*gets laid*
*brings it up when the date asks*

lol if you don't get laid regardless

the biggest red flags in dating are horses, cats and jesus, in which case run while you can

ymmv in the us but in scandinavia everyone who is religious to the point where they feel the need to express it is crazy and not worth the effort

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Zen Punk posted:

if you seriously think there's a chance people who clicked on this thread don't know about Russel's Teapot you're still scrub-tier athiest.

alright

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
by god, do i love dick

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
take me to church quotes hitchens in the lyrics aint that something

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

ur dumb

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

by god, do i love dick

same

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lol if you think anyone takes it seriously. Not even pascal took it seriously, it comes from his disca4 pile

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Dave Concepcion posted:

take me to church quotes hitchens in the lyrics aint that something

Yeah, it's a dumb song and it's not even the tiniest bit metal.

Wait, wait, gotta get in character.

*reminds you every five seconds that I am, in fact, and athiest and therefore smarter than you*

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EoTTyCU8Rs

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Russell is like half a smart guy, half a quack.

Its pragmatically sound, but you can't really troll people with it so functionally useless.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
take me to church is a bad song but god is also not real meeting in the middle here

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Mange Mite posted:

Lol if you think anyone takes it seriously.

I've met people who do. Also, there are people in this thread who take it seriously

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

my mom works w/ a lady in her sixties who just concluded god doesn't exist and is thinking of joining an atheist group to "hone her argument".

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
For a couple thousand years people have been telling the same stories because they feel that they're really important.

Like tons of dudes dedicated their whole lives to transcribing these things. People die for it pretty frequently too.

But nooooooooooooooooo it's such a grevious injustice to simply coexist with this stuff, much less to spend an hour of your Sunday, with a huge chunk of your immediate community, listening to these really old stories that connect you with the earliest of written history and tradtion.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
ever notice how its usually darkies and wogs who believe in god?

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Russell's pretty dumb because someones either gonna find some iron meteorite/teapot of youth between the sun and mars, or nothing.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

bluewedge posted:

ever notice how its usually darkies and wogs who believe in god?

i didn't play witcher 2

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

solaranus posted:

For a couple thousand years people have been telling the same stories because they feel that they're really important.

Like tons of dudes dedicated their whole lives to transcribing these things. People die for it pretty frequently too.

But nooooooooooooooooo it's such a grevious injustice to simply coexist with this stuff, much less to spend an hour of your Sunday, with a huge chunk of your immediate community, listening to these really old stories that connect you with the earliest of written history and tradtion.
this seems like a good point to ask if anyone has the paradol ex "star children" post

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It is easy to not believe in God because we live in a world filled with easy orgasms, obesity, and football. Take away our amazing lifestyle by adding daily adversity and sure enough we'd all be praying to the sky lord's to make our lives less dreary. I am not super religious now by any means, but place throw me into prison or send me back in time to the dark ages and I'm sure I'd end up praying just as hard as the next guy.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

solaranus posted:

but theyre made up. they didnt happen so why listen. im with stephen fry on this one. we should have atheist 'churches' where everyone goes, we sing maybe some john lennon or listen to a classical number. instead of celebrating the mass, we read the latest discoveries in science to each other and discuss what they mean to us. there are no priests because everyone is equal, right. we might read the bible, but itd be the jefferson bible. we could do this. it's easy if you try.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't stand religious people, they're so backwards and cling to stupid ancient poo poo and illogical hateful customs. Muslims are all sexist and christians hate gays, god drat how pathetic to have these deep prejudices and be blind to the fact that they're just religious constructs. Anyways, let me tell you about the friend zone, why women make terrible engineers, and why there's no FEMALES in my 40 person campus skeptics society. No this isn't sexism it's just a basic truth, like in science, which I know nothing about but man did you read these sick Dawkins quotes?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

solaranus posted:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
pascals wager lol
pretend to believe a god exists for no other reason than why not and pick a random one that you can trace the roots of as a man made creation
because picking what is almost certainly the wrong god according to the same logic pascals wager stands on and living according to those fake religious practices would be any better to a real god than just living your life well
"christian philosopher" :jerkbag:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAShx8scZe8

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

but theyre made up. they didnt happen so why listen. im with stephen fry on this one. we should have atheist 'churches' where everyone goes, we sing maybe some john lennon or listen to a classical number. instead of celebrating the mass, we read the latest discoveries in science to each other and discuss what they mean to us. there are no priests because everyone is equal, right. we might read the bible, but itd be the jefferson bible. we could do this. it's easy if you try.

Really what the the hell do atheists talk about? Their entire ideology consists of pretending a major part of their symbolic reality is not worthy of exploring on the premise of it's "not real", yet it moves mountains. Give some credit to the guys, they were only a couple hundred years separated from having to fight off big cats with wooden sticks and stone, and yet they managed to forge communities of tens of thousands of people with these ideas.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

gary oldmans diary posted:

pascals wager lol
pretend to believe a god exists for no other reason than why not and pick a random one that you can trace the roots of as a man made creation
because picking what is almost certainly the wrong god according to the same logic pascals wager stands on and living according to those fake religious practices would be any better to a real god than just living your life well
"christian philosopher" :jerkbag:

I'm with you. We should all just live our lives well. *games for ten hours*

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Agag posted:

+1 hour spent in church
oh good an improvement i connected with the beliefs of ancient middle eastern people for historical value less than that what wouldve been acquired in an hour of a lecture at uni
which is the excuse used when the actual reason people go to church is to continually reinforce the conditioning you received since you were a child and any modern church is just what any cult looks like after x thousand years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Agag posted:

having not left this chair in so long would be considered a feat of discipline in enlightened circles.

• Locked thread