Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ogodei_Khan posted:

The problem is how people read or interpret what IQ is. The concept came from Alfred Binet in the early 1900s. It was not designed to test how smart you are but designed to test who would benefit from interaction and who could not. All of the tests following Binet's sought to extrapolate how well you could deal with being educated in a certain type of setting. There are still lingering concepts of difference and the value of certain type of abstract thinking over other types of abstract thinking. This pops up especially in weird ways with causal patterns in the ones that have more culture dependent variables. Things like direction of language in reading, visual abilities and other things all influence your score passively. The test and other tests developed in its vein attempt to derive a rate of learning by sampling behaviors, visual discrimination, pattern following ,motor behavior, and other things. Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences was also meant to work in a similar way.You are actually not supposed to rely upon one test alone to figure things out. Diagnosticians often interpret them in line with other things too. The TONI is another test that attempts to acquire IQ solely through pattern recognition and assessing relations in shapes. I know many of these style tests are partially used to help identify things like placement in special education.

Why not just say IQ was made to spot retarded kids and is pretty good at that, not s much anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
It's ok to be an atheist, no one on the internet cares.

But if you talk about it at all you are on the same level of a sperglord furry MRA truther.

Goons really dislike when people don't agree with what they consider normal.

Ogodei_Khan
Feb 28, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

Why not just say IQ was made to spot retarded kids and is pretty good at that, not s much anything else

Because it was not made for that. It is now used to find intellectual disabilities but that is sorta a use we found for it. Its original use came up when we had a very different view of human development. Things like fears of urbanization and food damaging human growth and things like that were still issues when it was developed.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i have an iq of 50 000

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i find the idea of god rather... amusing

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
is there like an inverse pascals wager where you decide if there is any form of higher power it probably cares more about you being a good person than getting the specific words and thoughts you have about it correct or it wasn't worth worshipping anyway so im going to spend that hour on a sunday blowing nazis away on wolfenstein/helping clear trees in the park?

cos if there isn't i'm calling dibs on this important philosophical thought

XMNN fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 23, 2015

CrimsonSaber
Dec 27, 2005
Metaphysicist

Orkin Mang posted:

i have an iq of 50 000

Is god powerful enough to create a person smarter than himself?

Also, everyone knows that Ancient Aliens are the origin of human life.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

God schmod.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

XMNN posted:

is there like an inverse pascals wager where you decide if there is any form of higher power it probably cares more about you being a good person than getting the specific words and thoughts you have about it correct or it wasn't worth worshipping anyway so im going to spend that hour on a sunday blowing nazis away on wolfenstein/helping clear trees in the park?

cos if there isn't i'm calling dibs on this important philosophical thought

Be a decent human being and be respectful of others? It'll never catch on.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hi im an atheist, i believe that what is involved in being a decent human being is just perfectly obvious, if you just think about it for a sec, i dont see what the big deal is. just be nice haha duh!

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

hi im an atheist, i believe that what is involved in being a decent human being is just perfectly obvious, if you just think about it for a sec, i dont see what the big deal is. just be nice haha duh!

*2,000 word screed on the burden of bearing a cross of niceness"

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Kanthulhu posted:

It's ok to be an atheist, no one on the internet cares.

But if you talk about it at all you are on the same level of a sperglord furry MRA truther.

Goons really dislike when people don't agree with what they consider normal.

Atheist goons really dislike when people are brown or believe different things than they do.

Orkin Mang posted:

If you find any of my escaped slaves do the nice thing and return my property to me, will you? Thanks.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

Be a decent human being and be respectful of others? It'll never catch on.

SOMEBODY was crucified for suggesting this...

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Agag posted:

SOMEBODY was crucified for suggesting this...

Don't tell me what to do DAD!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
rip spartacus too beautiful for this world

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

XMNN posted:

rip spartacus too beautiful for this world

"And if any man should strike you on the cheek, cut his face off with a sword so the front of the face slides off the rest of his skull in slow motion..."

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agag posted:

If you find any of my escaped slaves do the nice thing and return my property to me, will you? Thanks.

np publius, i caught him loitering around my salt mine

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Fishy Joe posted:

were all sikhs now, mutha fuckers got fancy hats and swords and poo poo its just like our wow characters

that's tru, whenever sikhs come up the goon Sikh script unfolds wherein

a poster posts a photo of a sikh saying they're a muslim
another goon says it is actually a Sikh person and they're really cool guys
more goons come in and talk about the kirpal and their hair and other cool poo poo about sikhs

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Atheism is a mental illness like pedophilia.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

imagine :pranke:ing somebody into displaying your corpse like a piece of art and you're just sitting there owning them while dead

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Professor Tomtom posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Professor Tomtom posted:

• Locked thread