Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
*decries global poverty* *becomes missionary*

*exposed to Pascal's wager* *doesn't continue to alienate themselves from 90% of the world*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

I don't understand the missionary one sorry

Christian churches are really big on going to other countries and helping people. They might ask you to go to church when you're waiting in their soup-line though

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
*acknowledges religion is a real world phenomena that precipitates concrete actions*

*joins local church and becomes more integrated in the community*

*gains a few extra years of life*

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A misanthrope posted:

so you don't believe in god but join a religion to facilitate some agenda? are you a politician??

Are you a willing receptacle for gods seed?

Mustard seed that is :smug:

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
reminder that without religion tribute.avi would not exist

only a hell where stochastically determined interactions of matter occur for eternity

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
do those really look like people capable of creating caricatures of atheism?

in all actuality it is a religion of victim-hood hth

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
*realizes the irony in claiming god-like knowledge of the fundamental nature of reality*

Man in the Sky: It's okay my son tried to live up to a perfect standard too, and lookit what happened!

*has a good chuckle*

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
For a couple thousand years people have been telling the same stories because they feel that they're really important.

Like tons of dudes dedicated their whole lives to transcribing these things. People die for it pretty frequently too.

But nooooooooooooooooo it's such a grevious injustice to simply coexist with this stuff, much less to spend an hour of your Sunday, with a huge chunk of your immediate community, listening to these really old stories that connect you with the earliest of written history and tradtion.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Russell's pretty dumb because someones either gonna find some iron meteorite/teapot of youth between the sun and mars, or nothing.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

but theyre made up. they didnt happen so why listen. im with stephen fry on this one. we should have atheist 'churches' where everyone goes, we sing maybe some john lennon or listen to a classical number. instead of celebrating the mass, we read the latest discoveries in science to each other and discuss what they mean to us. there are no priests because everyone is equal, right. we might read the bible, but itd be the jefferson bible. we could do this. it's easy if you try.

Really what the the hell do atheists talk about? Their entire ideology consists of pretending a major part of their symbolic reality is not worthy of exploring on the premise of it's "not real", yet it moves mountains. Give some credit to the guys, they were only a couple hundred years separated from having to fight off big cats with wooden sticks and stone, and yet they managed to forge communities of tens of thousands of people with these ideas.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

what's it called when you've entirely given up on the argument because it's literally pointless?

bored

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

when you show me physical evidence of gods existence then i'll completely change my position and believe in god. that's what scientists do. when their theory is disproved they are HAPPY ABOUT it and they congratulate the person who proved them wrong. ever seen a priest do that? nope, you havent.

Haha, scientists can be far more petty assholes than your average priest.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

sorry but thats not how science works. maybe they get angry but its not because of science. give me one example of someone doing something bad and it's because of science. religion, i could name literally thousands; the inquisition, galileo, how the dark ages destroyed everything from rome and greece (destroyed all the science that was just getting going), snopes trial, that hitler was actually CATHOLIC which is why the church was on his side, i mean, need i go on?

I don't think Mengele, or unit 731 were experiments for the church. The anit-jew propaganda was nearly entirely couched in scientific rhetoric. How about that guy who starved half of Russia because he really did believe you could grow poo poo in winter, and had the science to prove it even though everyone called bullshit?

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

you're forgetting that sort of behaviour is not science, that's the religious emotions coming through

The purpose of prayer is to remember you're not god yo, you're someone that makes emotional mistakes. A sin is by definition an action coming from emotional weakness with consequences that are harmful to yourself and the community.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mange Mite posted:

So yoire saying posting is a sin

Yes, that'll be 10 hail Mary's before you can sleep soundly tonight.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

gently caress off catholic

Spend the rest of your life as nothing more than a complex bubble of water and calcium on a ball of iron being boiled by a star then

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

hi im an atheist, i believe that what is involved in being a decent human being is just perfectly obvious, if you just think about it for a sec, i dont see what the big deal is. just be nice haha duh!

*2,000 word screed on the burden of bearing a cross of niceness"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Professor Tomtom posted:

Atheism is a mental illness like pedophilia.

• Locked thread