Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This settles it. I have to travel to SD this summer.

I have friends who transplanted there. Or I'm couch surfing on the goon couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Zurreco posted:

I would agree, except the Gulls are coming back soonish and they were the best sports team in San Diego bar none. Cheap seats, guaranteed fights, lots of promotional events like dog night and mullet night. Most locals don't even know about the Sockers.

Aztec basketball, bro

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Reminds me, Petco Park is a nice ballpark. Also my dad and I trespassed into the park when it was under construction. My dad pissed on home plate. Good times.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Zurreco posted:

Teaming up with the Raiders is a special kind of irony, though. No one in LA really gives a poo poo about the Chargers except for SD transplants, and forcing them to share a stadium with their rivals is basically going to crush any sort of fanbase for them.

Seriously. If you are a neutral fan and the Raiders and Chargers both come to town, in what world do you root for the Chargers? Sure the Raiders have sucked the last decade, but still, I'd be on their bandwagon in 3 seconds.

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
San Diego has an estimated 2 billion dollar backlog of infrastructure maintenance, last I heard an over 1 billion pension unfunded pension liability, poor bike and transit infrastructure, and is already working with a reduced government workforce and services. How can anyone support giving the Spanos family taxpayer money, government subsidies, or any sort of free ride to provide a football team that has a marginal if any economic benefit to the region? Good luck to them I hope they find another municipality to trick or maybe they'll actually have to take a risk and privately finance something.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The average person still buys that "economic benefit" of sports teams bullshit. As if Americans will save their money without a sports team, instead of just spending more at the bar or department store.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Man, fans of teams that will never move coming in here and talking about how awesome and cool at is that two fanbases are about to lose their teams is a special kind of hosed up.

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.

SA2K posted:

Man, fans of teams that will never move coming in here and talking about how awesome and cool at is that two fanbases are about to lose their teams is a special kind of hosed up.

I'd prefer the Chargers stay, personally. Why can't they renovate the hell out of Qualcomm, anyway? Is it just that too far gone?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So which team is moving to San Antonio?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

StarcraftM posted:

I'd prefer the Chargers stay, personally. Why can't they renovate the hell out of Qualcomm, anyway? Is it just that too far gone?

It's way too far gone. The amount of renovations you'd need to do wouldn't be cost effective

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Seems like we'd save ourselves a lot of grief if we built stadiums to last 500 years.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Frackie Robinson posted:

Seems like we'd save ourselves a lot of grief if we built stadiums to last 500 years.

just build the field in a valley and let the people stand on the grass and hills around it.

gently caress this concession stands and seats and video boards

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

SA2K posted:

The same Padres that can't fill one tenth of their stadium unless the Giants or Dodgers are in town?

Reseller markets up 81%. YOU HOLD YOUR TONGUE! :)

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Would the league step in and try to control the LA market if both the Rams plan and the Chargers/Raiders shared stadium seem like they're coming together? Do they even mind?

It seems like the Rams are the closest to actually moving but Oakland is also without any real traction on getting a stadium, but it just seems a little nuts that the league would be fine with two (and maybe three) owners just showing up in the same city in a year or two.

Considering how the NFL fought tooth and nail against Davis the first time this happened and that the pattern in other leagues is for the commissioner to do whatever backroom poo poo needs to happen to extract a stadium deal out of a city (unless you're helping your buddy move his new team to Oklahoma I guess), it just seems completely out of left field for Goodell to be totally fine with trying to transplant three different franchises to a new city nearly simultaneously.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
According to the LA Times

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I guess the moral is that only midwesterners who took off for LA to pursue an acting career read the LA times.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

SA2K posted:

THANK YOU!

By the way, judging fanbases by how many of their hats or whatever you see is dumb. Everyone in St. Louis owns a Cardinals hat (and loves wearing them). I don't even really like baseball and I own one. No one owns a Rams hat - really who owns football hats that aren't stocking caps?

the mean lunch lady fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 21, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Volkerball posted:

I guess the moral is that only midwesterners who took off for LA to pursue an acting career read the LA times.

:confused: There are a lot more Raiders fans in the midwest than Rams fans. It's not even close.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nail Rat posted:

:confused: There are a lot more Raiders fans in the midwest than Rams fans. It's not even close.

I know one Raider fan (yours truly) and 0 Rams fans 4 hours north of St. Louis, so this holds up.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

the raiders

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Blitz7x posted:

Brutal.

hallik
Aug 15, 2003
There's a rumor Mark Davis is willing to jump over to the NFC to move to LA. If there's any truth to that, it's a terrible idea.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hallik posted:

There's a rumor Mark Davis is willing to jump over to the NFC to move to LA. If there's any truth to that, it's a terrible idea.

It's an awful idea. But we're talking about Mark Davis here so I could see it.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

Old white people still associate the Raiders with the Rodney King riots so it's no surprise they don't want them back.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Volkerball posted:

They've been living off 1 year leases in one of the 2 or 3 shittiest stadiums in the entire league

So who has the worst stadium in the league than?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Yaws posted:

So who has the worst stadium in the league than?
Coliseum, Qualcomm, Sun Life, FedEx Field?

edit, hell, in that order.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
FedEx Field is so bad that Snyder already wants a new stadium less than 20 years after building it

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I would rather the Rams/Raiders come to LA and keep the Chargers in San Diego. Living in Orange County and not really having a hometown team (I know lots of people that don't think of the Chargers as a hometown team, despite them being an hour and a half away), I'll root for whatever team moves to LA. USC/UCLA football is way bigger around here than Chargers, I'm not surprised one bit by that LA Times poll.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Benne posted:

FedEx Field is so bad that Snyder already wants a new stadium less than 20 years after building it

To be fair that is largely self inflicted

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
I don't really remember anything being particularly terrible about FedEx Field. It's sort of lovely to get to, it's not in DC, and the Redskins are bad, but other than that it seemed perfectly acceptable the few times I went.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Would the league step in and try to control the LA market if both the Rams plan and the Chargers/Raiders shared stadium seem like they're coming together? Do they even mind?

It seems like the Rams are the closest to actually moving but Oakland is also without any real traction on getting a stadium, but it just seems a little nuts that the league would be fine with two (and maybe three) owners just showing up in the same city in a year or two.

Considering how the NFL fought tooth and nail against Davis the first time this happened and that the pattern in other leagues is for the commissioner to do whatever backroom poo poo needs to happen to extract a stadium deal out of a city (unless you're helping your buddy move his new team to Oklahoma I guess), it just seems completely out of left field for Goodell to be totally fine with trying to transplant three different franchises to a new city nearly simultaneously.

A supreme Court case related to I think the Ram's move to St Louis basically says the league can't do poo poo to stop a team from moving.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Good news for San Diego, the GULLS ARE BACK!

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

hey, it made a great av

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Good news for San Diego, the GULLS ARE BACK!

omg yes

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

i feel bad for how lovely everyone elses fan base is

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What's the backstory behind those photos?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

They actually witnessed raiders football.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NC-17 posted:

Raiders fans keep it real.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

NC-17 posted:

A lot of alcohol and a really bad team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NC-17 posted:

Raiders/Chargers season opener last year. The 2012 edition was better though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-59CrWrr4

• Locked thread