Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yggdrassil posted:

I think there's a misunderstanding here. I see that some of you guys got the idea of me trying to rent a flat, while i have been trying to tell you that im looking for flatshares. I know that flat renting goes for about 600 pounds, but im refering to sharing a house with other people beside my friend, renting a room that might be shared with others. That's what im talking about, and that's why i was speaking of 100 quid a week for flatshares.

I think people have corrected your misunderstanding, but basically a room in a flat goes for about £600.

Lady Gaza posted:

l live in East London (Stratford to be specific) with my girlfriend and each pay £550 rent a month. It's not too bad round here. It's about mins on the tube to central London, but if you were to move somewhere like Leyton it'd take a little longer but be cheaper in terms of rent.

Yeah living on the central line is pretty great. You're far out, so rents are cheaper, but it gets you into zone 1 in around 20-25 minutes (plus walking). Leyton and Leytonstone are perennial favourites (read: they used to be full of Aussies and South Africans back in the day). Leytonstone is also where Alfred Hitchcock was born and raised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah living on the central line is pretty great. You're far out, so rents are cheaper, but it gets you into zone 1 in around 20-25 minutes (plus walking). Leyton and Leytonstone are perennial favourites (read: they used to be full of Aussies and South Africans back in the day). Leytonstone is also where Alfred Hitchcock was born and raised.

I actually get the jubilee line (best line) in which is great, it's fast and since stratford is the terminus it's not too busy. It's getting expensive to rent round here though (we're buying a place in (South London) so somewhere a little further east should be cheaper.

One nice thing about this area is the local butchers and Indian/Chinese shops that sell cheap vegetables and spices, not the mention the cheaper supermarkets like Morrisons that have the space to provide a wide range of food.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
South London is generally poo poo. But I live Zone 5, South East. It takes me 18 mins by train to get to Victoria which is a main terminal in central and from there you have quick access to everywhere.

However while you definitely could find a flatshare for 100p/w, or even less, i believe the 1-5 monthly travel card on an oyster is over £200 now so what you save in rent goes on travel.

This is what we are saying about how London is designed to eat you alive.

I seriously think you should look into neighbouring cities where you could live and work comfortably and still able to come in to the city on a semi regular basis for networking, auditions, scouting jobs and other accommodation and hell, you could genuinely save money just by living 50-100 miles out side of town.

Also, it takes about 1hr 20mins to get from Portsmouth to Victoria. It can take more than that to get from zone 4 east london to zone 4 west london via the tube at times. London is an overwhelmingly HUGE metropolis. Location is everything here.

I do begrudgingly agree that North London is the place to be though. To me, a born and raise SE London i find the north of the river to be a different country altogether, but as far as entertainment, opportunities, social life, and general experience of London proper, it is ALL north of the river. Though we are a bit weary of late night travel, a little snobbish, etc, at least some of us have the balls to go north, i've been a goon 6 years and i think we have had just 2 goon meets south of the river in that time cos all the northern scum are scared to cross the bridges (i think they may be vampires what with their love of late nights and fear of crossing running water!)

The north / south divide is generally a friendly rivalry.

P.S. stay away from Brixton.

dpack_1 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 3, 2015

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

You should check out https://www.spareroom.co.uk/ to get a better grasp of prices. Yeah the numbers I was quoting are for sharing a flat, often with up to 8! people. Having a place to yourself is overwhelmingly the exception rather than the norm and you have to either go out really far or be earning fat stacks of £££ to afford it. Bear in mind its pretty difficut to find a good deal without actually being physically present in London. The LSE also has an alright map to see where the cheaper area's are.

For what it's worth im not trying to discourage you, just inject some realism. London is an amazing city but like people said it can eat you alive if you let it.

Saros fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 3, 2015

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Saros posted:

For what it's worth im not trying to discourage you, just inject some realism. London is an amazing city but like people said it can eat you alive if you let it.

I understand. I'll try searching for accomodation north of the river then. I do have a question thou: i know that most (if not all) flat shares list their price per person. Now, regarding the prices for flat rental (for example, renting a 2 bedroom flat) are those final? or are those also listed by person (for example, if we see a 2 bedroom flat for 1000 p/m, could we split that in 500 each, or would each of us have to pay 1000 p/m?)

Thanks in advance for all your support!! You guys are awesome :)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

If you are looking for a room it will be per person. If you are renting a whole flat it will be for the entire place split however you feel like it. I would strongly reccomend not renting a whole place initially as you can end out paying enormous amounts as an initial outlay. Its common to have a bond of at least 4 weeks rent plus 4-6 weeks rent in advance plus £200+ for "agent fees" plus whatever else the landlord/agent thinks they can sting you for (credit checks etc). Everything to do with property here is totally hosed.

Unless you have an 'all inclusive' rent you will also be responsible for council taxes, water bills and gas/power/net. Probably £20 a week each would cover them most places, you can avoid council tax if you are a full time student.

Other things off the top of my head,

https://www.listentotaxman.com/ <- Check your take home after tax

Try live in the north east and bike places. Tube links arent as great but that does make it cheaper and you will have access to the 'cooler' spots. I dunno where the acting stuff is concentrated these days other than the obvious theater distrcits. I do want to emphasise again that you are very very unlikely to get anywhere at all with acting. You will likely end out working two part time jobs to make ends meet and while that can be fun for a while you'll get sick of being crushingly poor pretty fast.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Saros posted:

If you are looking for a room it will be per person. If you are renting a whole flat it will be for the entire place split however you feel like it. I would strongly reccomend not renting a whole place initially as you can end out paying enormous amounts as an initial outlay. Its common to have a bond of at least 4 weeks rent plus 4-6 weeks rent in advance plus £200+ for "agent fees" plus whatever else the landlord/agent thinks they can sting you for (credit checks etc). Everything to do with property here is totally hosed.

Unless you have an 'all inclusive' rent you will also be responsible for council taxes, water bills and gas/power/net. Probably £20 a week each would cover them most places, you can avoid council tax if you are a full time student.

Other things off the top of my head,

https://www.listentotaxman.com/ <- Check your take home after tax

Try live in the north east and bike places. Tube links arent as great but that does make it cheaper and you will have access to the 'cooler' spots. I dunno where the acting stuff is concentrated these days other than the obvious theater distrcits. I do want to emphasise again that you are very very unlikely to get anywhere at all with acting. You will likely end out working two part time jobs to make ends meet and while that can be fun for a while you'll get sick of being crushingly poor pretty fast.

Yes, i know that deposits and initial fees for flat renting are prohibitive, yet in a future i would probably evaluate the chance if we see that we are established and have to possibility.

Again, i have read several books on the acting bussines and im very aware of everything you sacrifice when you go for an acting career. I can assure you that i won't only have economical difficulties, but social ones too (the typical "sorry, i can't go, i need to rehearse/audition/take headshots/edit showreel/etc.)

I've been planning this for months, you can be sure that i've already made my desicion.

Biking would be awesome, thou it depends a lot on where we are going to stay. Most of the entertainmen biz is located in zones 1-2, so if i can go by bike through those zones, i'll do it. Now, what i do have to ask is: isn't it dangerous to bike in London's more central areas? I've heard bad things about biking in zone 1.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You people are fascinating. South London is the best London, especially Brixton. My teacher friends of whom I spoke earlier have just bought a flat in Brixton and it is amazing.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

oliwan posted:

You people are fascinating. South London is the best London, especially Brixton. My teacher friends of whom I spoke earlier have just bought a flat in Brixton and it is amazing.

I got put off of Brixton when seeing someone get held at gunpoint for their shopping bags im broad daylight and people just crossing the street instead of getting involved (as in calling police, not being an action hero).

I was only 16 and did not have a phone at the time.

Also, OP, you will never have the means to rent a flat. Working 2 part time jobs to make ends meet will leave you with zero chance to save. If you look at a place with 1k per month you would need to put down 1k rent in advance, 1.5k security deposit and anywhere from 200-500 in agent fees. So a round £3k just to get through the door. And most places are unfurnished with white kitchen goods only, so you would get the keys for your shiney new flat and promptly sleep on the floor with no furniture at all.

It would take you around 2-5 years to save that 3k, while working them two part time jobs, assuming you have no unexpected bills. You will indefinitely find an unexpected bill in that time. Oh and thats while saving for your acting classes too right?

Yeah, you wont stand a chance renting a flat for a very very long time.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

dpack_1 posted:

I got put off of Brixton when seeing someone get held at gunpoint for their shopping bags im broad daylight and people just crossing the street instead of getting involved (as in calling police, not being an action hero).

I was only 16 and did not have a phone at the time.

Also, OP, you will never have the means to rent a flat. Working 2 part time jobs to make ends meet will leave you with zero chance to save. If you look at a place with 1k per month you would need to put down 1k rent in advance, 1.5k security deposit and anywhere from 200-500 in agent fees. So a round £3k just to get through the door. And most places are unfurnished with white kitchen goods only, so you would get the keys for your shiney new flat and promptly sleep on the floor with no furniture at all.

It would take you around 2-5 years to save that 3k, while working them two part time jobs, assuming you have no unexpected bills. You will indefinitely find an unexpected bill in that time. Oh and thats while saving for your acting classes too right?

Yeah, you wont stand a chance renting a flat for a very very long time.

Very well then, flat renting is out of question!

Brixton seems pretty much like most of my town :P im wondering how many of you have gone through an experience like that. If there's another good reason to move out of Buenos Aires is security (i've been assaulted at knife point & pickpocketed several times, even had to run from kidnappers once).

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I lived in brixton in 2010-11 and not once did I feel unsafe.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

I've had my jaw broke cos someone REALLY wanted my mobile phone in Clapham. Had what i assume was a knife held to my back at an ATM and forced to draw another £70 out at Tottenham Court Road and ushered down a side street and asked for money by a group of kids up near Camden once but they got scared off when a bunch of friendly aussie rugby players saw what was going down and intervened.

To be fair though im a scrawny looking gently caress and probably make an easy target.

Oh and an ex of mine got sexually assaulted in Brixton too so i guess that place just rubs me the wrong way.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Any of this stuff can happen anywhere in London. I really don't think it's a particularly good reason to choose not to live somewhere, although I completely understand that if something has happened to you somewhere that the associations will put you off. It is a relatively safe city, and you're coming from BA so I don't think you have to worry too much.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

sweek0 posted:

It is a relatively safe city, and you're coming from BA so I don't think you have to worry too much.

I guess that we all become extra carefull when in the street after this kind of stuff happens to us. Still, i'll move to where i can move, im not sure i will have some or even any say in terms of where im moving when im prioritizing getting the cheapest place i can find.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
It's much more dangerous to be a tourist in London than it is to live in Brixton or Deptford or wherever. The exception being Dalston which is mostly just shady, but an irredeemable shithole too which is much less forgivable. My only caveat would be that if you end up in an estate, go there beforehand, in the daylight and check out what the people living there are like.

I live on an estate in outer London now and everyone is fine. The only really terrible poo poo is when disabled residents kill themselves because the gov hosed with their benefits. However, my partner lived on an estate in inner London before and was persecuted by his direct neighbours because he wasn't white. Turned out one of them was convicted for the murder of the previous tenants (about 10 years back) because they were Turkish, but of course even though they're banged up the killer's scrotey brothers, kids etc. all live there still. The only reason I mention this is I'm assuming the OP does not look like an EDL poster-boy and that can sometimes have implications depending on where you are.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Rolled Cabbage posted:

However, my partner lived on an estate in inner London before and was persecuted by his direct neighbours because he wasn't white. Turned out one of them was convicted for the murder of the previous tenants (about 10 years back) because they were Turkish, but of course even though they're banged up the killer's scrotey brothers, kids etc. all live there still. The only reason I mention this is I'm assuming the OP does not look like an EDL poster-boy and that can sometimes have implications depending on where you are.

London is a world city, and i guess there are certain social conflicts due to the cultural diversity therein. Those conflicts are almost non-existant in Argentina, and i will have to get used to them (and will of course experience a cultural clash due to what i previously mentioned).

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

As a whole the crime rate (and specifically violent crime) is relatively low. I do by and large feel incredibly safe about town in spite of them few instances as it is just an unfortunate part of inner cities.

My mentioning of what has happened to me was just a direct response to OP's line of questioning on the matter and not intended to be off putting in general.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

im convinced this thread is a big troll

The_Bends
Nov 13, 2010
I moved to London 6 years ago. Some of the first responses here are insane. Judging by this thread nobody would survive in London. Just from my direct friends and family I know 11 people that have moved to London cold. All with very small amounts of money (I had £1800 when I moved down).

Speaking for me and my two brothers and sister I know none of us had parental help in moving down, or jobs before we started.

What's more the company that I work for employs a ton of new movers to London, some with degrees, some without. The idea that moving to London is impossible is just so far from my experience of the place. There are plenty who don't like it but I literally know nobody who came and couldn't make it stick due to not being able to find work or a home.

A two minutes search finds rooms for £450 pm in zone two right next to really good transport links and in this case an awesome park as well http://www.gumtree.com/p/single-room-flatshare/brilliantly-located-single-room-in-battersea-%C2%A3110pw-including-all-bills/1102779127

Yes when you arrive you'll be looking at a job in one of sales or service. That's where most of the entry points are. However if you have several languages there are jobs out there in the £15k to £25k range where companies will want to take advantage or that (e.g. data research).

My youngest brother works a pub job for ~£13k per year. Is he tight with his money, yes but he goes out more than I do. Again the whole idea that you'll be living in a hole with no social life scraping by for food is a complete fabrication. If you have no family to support your outgoing will be £300 for food, £120 for transport and £500 for rent & bills. If you're earning £15k you're fine.

That said if you're coming for drama/acting that's a difficult road. However there are loads of people doing the same so if you start making friends on your course or at your school you should at least have a good time trying.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

http://www.squatter.org.uk/squatters-handbook/

hope this helps

also here are some meet ups that might help

https://nelsn.wordpress.com/practical-squatting-evenings/

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

The_Bends posted:

I moved to London 6 years ago. Some of the first responses here are insane. Judging by this thread nobody would survive in London. Just from my direct friends and family I know 11 people that have moved to London cold. All with very small amounts of money (I had £1800 when I moved down).

Speaking for me and my two brothers and sister I know none of us had parental help in moving down, or jobs before we started.

What's more the company that I work for employs a ton of new movers to London, some with degrees, some without. The idea that moving to London is impossible is just so far from my experience of the place. There are plenty who don't like it but I literally know nobody who came and couldn't make it stick due to not being able to find work or a home.

A two minutes search finds rooms for £450 pm in zone two right next to really good transport links and in this case an awesome park as well http://www.gumtree.com/p/single-room-flatshare/brilliantly-located-single-room-in-battersea-%C2%A3110pw-including-all-bills/1102779127

Yes when you arrive you'll be looking at a job in one of sales or service. That's where most of the entry points are. However if you have several languages there are jobs out there in the £15k to £25k range where companies will want to take advantage or that (e.g. data research).

My youngest brother works a pub job for ~£13k per year. Is he tight with his money, yes but he goes out more than I do. Again the whole idea that you'll be living in a hole with no social life scraping by for food is a complete fabrication. If you have no family to support your outgoing will be £300 for food, £120 for transport and £500 for rent & bills. If you're earning £15k you're fine.

That said if you're coming for drama/acting that's a difficult road. However there are loads of people doing the same so if you start making friends on your course or at your school you should at least have a good time trying.

On the last week i nailed some sales which will probably allow me to go there with about 4k pounds, so im way better than when i said i could get arround 2k. I do speak 2 languages and are keen on learning more (it's usually not hard for me to learn a language, thou it's a pity i had to stop studying russian and japanese when i got into college).

I really don't think squatting would be a good idea :S

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rolled Cabbage posted:

The only reason I mention this is I'm assuming the OP does not look like an EDL poster-boy and that can sometimes have implications depending on where you are.

Ayup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Jean_Charles_de_Menezes

But more realistically, just avoid the far edges of London, where significant numbers of people vote for the BNP/UKIP (and coincidentally, are more white).

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Holy poo poo

Lead out in cuffs posted:

But more realistically, just avoid the far edges of London, where significant numbers of people vote for the BNP/UKIP (and coincidentally, are more white).

That's sad... is it true that UKIP is growing everyday, and that some conservatives are defecting to it?

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I'm assuming the OP does not look like an EDL poster-boy and that can sometimes have implications depending on where you are.

Im caucasian. Argentina is kind of an exception in Latin America where the sheer ammount of european immmigration that happened throughout the last century left us with just a fraction of our native population (im from German, Czech, Armenian and British descent :P talk about nationality potpurri!). Also, the fact that we sent all our african-american citizens to die in the war against Paraguay resulted in Argentina having almost zero african-american population.

Yggdrassil fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 3, 2015

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
What kind of acting work are you going to be looking for?

Film is mostly going to be out at Pinewood, Shepperton, or anywhere else on location around the country.

TV will be at the BBC drama production centres in Salford, Cardiff or Elstree, or the ITV drama studios in Salford. Or wherever the production is happening because it's being made by an indie and is all on location (glamorous Belfast for Game of Thrones and so on).

Theatre there's a load in central London but there's a bunch of touring stuff all around the country. I don't know much about it though.

Also yeah +1 to the "it's going to be hard as gently caress" crowd in here. I've spent 8 years working in the TV industry in London and it's a bit bollocks.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

What kind of acting work are you going to be looking for?

TV and film, although at the begining i'll be looking mostly for startup jobs, like school projects, webseries... the things you have to look for to start rolling (which are, most of the times, unpaid)

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I've spent 8 years working in the TV industry in London and it's a bit bollocks.

Are you still working in it?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Fwiw I've never once had trouble in London and I've lived in some lovely areas.

The guy who hates london recommends livin in south London lol that should tell you all you need to know. Btw Brixton is ok but it thinks it's way cool. You should try finsbury park imo. East is good, loads of my friends live there, but the lack of tube access does get old pretty fast. i think Tottenham might be a good shout for a bargain.

The last true bargain I got was living just off seven sisters road. My friends were terrified for me but again, I never ran into trouble. Just don't shuffle about like a beta and you'll be fine.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

opus111 posted:

The last true bargain I got was living just off seven sisters road. My friends were terrified for me but again, I never ran into trouble. Just don't shuffle about like a beta and you'll be fine.

Seven Sisters Road sounds awesome for a horror story :P

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

It was fun! I remember seeing a black van come screeching round a corner and brake outside a shop and thinking 'oh poo poo what's happening here?' and preparing to watch a robbery but the doors flew upon and a bunch of lads jumped out with a PA system and started rapping until a police car drove up and told them to scram.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Tony Montana posted:

Kebabs are greasy fat people food and if that's 'good food' for you then we're from different planets.

opus111 posted:

should have gone north, bruv,.

Yeah, this.

oliwan posted:

Going out in London: race to the pub after work, get drunk as quickly as possible, leave at midnight because you have to catch the last tube. Alternatively, you can go to a "late night" club after this, pay 30 pounds to get in and enjoy yourself watching strippers with other sad sacks. And even these clubs close at like 5-7 am. Doing all this, you have lost at least 100 pounds.

This is the post of someone who doesn't know how to go clubbing. Everything you've mentioned about Berlin I've done in London (and in Berlin, so I can compare) - aside from clubs being open from Friday to Monday. Even then I've been at a club on Friday, carried on the party and then gone back to the same club hosting a different night on a Saturday, followed by an afterparty on the Sunday.

Yggdrassil posted:

I've been planning this for months, you can be sure that i've already made my desicion.

I've got a mate who's been trying to get an acting career in London for the past decade. He's been in broadcast ads and one of the largest campaigns in Germany last year. He's just moved to Manchester because he wasn't getting anywhere in London.

Good luck. Please update the thread when London has broken you.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

glitchkrieg posted:

I've got a mate who's been trying to get an acting career in London for the past decade. He's been in broadcast ads and one of the largest campaigns in Germany last year. He's just moved to Manchester because he wasn't getting anywhere in London.

Tough luck man. Im sorry for your friend. However, this thread will be updated (and is being updated) by those that genuinely want to help me.
I will update it in the future thou, so i can thank all of those who wrote some lines here that made the trip easier, safer and more enjoyable.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

How is your English, OP? And by that I mean your convincing command of RP and other accents. I lived with a (trained, educated) actor who was northern and she kept practicing RP like mad because the hint of accent twang kept getting her screwed over for roles.

She is now living oop norf, fwiw.

What I'm saying is the industry seems racist as hell, so you have to either be completely transparently English (with the skills to accent switch) or eke it out with racist bit parts.

But hey, I'm pro south London (and have been). Transport links are great and though Brixton is a bit up its own arse these days, there's plenty places around it.

What area of London do Argentineans tend to live in?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Just dropping in as an actor living in London. I work a full time job because that's what being an actor is - sitting in an office and auditioning occasionally for a Chicken McNugget commercial. Best of luck to you, but god drat my advice is "Do not do this thing".

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Yggdrassil posted:

Tough luck man. Im sorry for your friend. However, this thread will be updated (and is being updated) by those that genuinely want to help me.

It's a shame you're not listening to any of them then.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Kaiho posted:

How is your English, OP? And by that I mean your convincing command of RP and other accents. I lived with a (trained, educated) actor who was northern and she kept practicing RP like mad because the hint of accent twang kept getting her screwed over for roles.

She is now living oop norf, fwiw.

What I'm saying is the industry seems racist as hell, so you have to either be completely transparently English (with the skills to accent switch) or eke it out with racist bit parts.

But hey, I'm pro south London (and have been). Transport links are great and though Brixton is a bit up its own arse these days, there's plenty places around it.

What area of London do Argentineans tend to live in?

Im not sure where Argentineans live if they actually do live in a certain area. Regarding english and accents, i've met lots of people from Europe / North America and they all asked me if i was really Argentinean, due to the fact that i don't have an Argentinean accent. I'll see if i can upload something to soundcloud later, so you can judge for yourself.

Flint_Paper posted:

Just dropping in as an actor living in London. I work a full time job because that's what being an actor is - sitting in an office and auditioning occasionally for a Chicken McNugget commercial. Best of luck to you, but god drat my advice is "Do not do this thing".

glitchkrieg posted:

It's a shame you're not listening to any of them then.

Im actually separating the genuine advice from the constant useless trashing that many of you seem so keen on posting. Which is a pity, since while you are doing that, you guys have no loving idea of the place where i come from, my reasons to do this, and what i had to do to be able to do this. I would like this to be the last time i address you about the derailing of the main topic towards your 'lamentations of how hard life is in London'. You can actually warn me and give me advice so i have a better chance, or you can just throw poo poo at me with no result whatsoever.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Yggdrassil posted:

Are you still working in it?

Yeah, but I do factual / current affairs production, I've never done drama (did get an interview for one once, but the pay was poo poo)

Also Transpontine is best.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Yggdrassil posted:

You can actually warn me and give me advice so i have a better chance

People have been doing that since the first page,

quote:

with no result whatsoever.

quote:

you guys have no loving idea of the place where i come from, my reasons to do this, and what i had to do to be able to do this.

The exact same could be said about you ignoring the experiences of people living in London, some of whom are/know actors living in London (or have moved on for Reasons).

Good luck to you because having drive and desire to succeed isn't enough to make it in London. Money makes it easier, but even then a lot comes down to luck.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Yggdrassil posted:

Im actually separating the genuine advice from the constant useless trashing that many of you seem so keen on posting. Which is a pity, since while you are doing that, you guys have no loving idea of the place where i come from, my reasons to do this, and what i had to do to be able to do this. I would like this to be the last time i address you about the derailing of the main topic towards your 'lamentations of how hard life is in London'. You can actually warn me and give me advice so i have a better chance, or you can just throw poo poo at me with no result whatsoever.

I've been a mix of "don't come here, London is shite" and "if you're hell bent on doing it then at least consider these things" in this thread.

But this. This has me in hysterics.

None of us really care where you come from, no we don't have an idea of what you've gone through, but you have no loving clue what it's like living in London and we actually do, what with living here. So that's a mighty big hypocritical statement you just made.

Those telling you this place is awful are actually giving you good advice as well as those saying you 'could' make it. But you need to understand you've got a very low chance of actually doing anything here other than minimum wage jobs in a lovely flat share with no common rooms and if your idea of a good night is to have friends over and play board games then you'll either be doing that on your own bed or not at all. You will go crazy without being able to socialise in that way, and that's why the majority of us all go out to a sam smiths pub and get drunk. We drink the pain away.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

dpack_1 posted:

I've been a mix of "don't come here, London is shite" and "if you're hell bent on doing it then at least consider these things" in this thread.

But this. This has me in hysterics.

None of us really care where you come from, no we don't have an idea of what you've gone through, but you have no loving clue what it's like living in London and we actually do, what with living here. So that's a mighty big hypocritical statement you just made.

Those telling you this place is awful are actually giving you good advice as well as those saying you 'could' make it. But you need to understand you've got a very low chance of actually doing anything here other than minimum wage jobs in a lovely flat share with no common rooms and if your idea of a good night is to have friends over and play board games then you'll either be doing that on your own bed or not at all. You will go crazy without being able to socialise in that way, and that's why the majority of us all go out to a sam smiths pub and get drunk. We drink the pain away.

I understood, before getting into this thread, that i might spend the next decades living in a lovely apartment working a lovely job. I did my homework regarding the things you sacrifice by pursuing this career. And i told you guys that. So from that moment on, i know there's info in this thread that is very useful (like the cheap market list, the info regarding the different zones, the rent pricing, etc) and info that, not only im already aware of, but has been posted here in a very rude way.

Im sorry if i started spewing poo poo about where i come from; what i say about you is also true about me. I don't know your history, and im sure that many of you are also talking from your own experience when expressing your anger on how London broke you. I apologise for that, and will try to look at it from a different way in the next posts.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

What's your specific plan? Find somewhere to live before you arrive, or go to a hostel first then look around for flatshares? Finding work will be easier if you have an address.

Regarding location, you'll likely be looking for jobs in Zone 1; most places are easy enough to get to but bear in mind that since you don't know exactly where you'll be working your potential commute could vary quite a bit depending on which train/tube line your flat is near.

I suppose if you find a job you won't have the urgency to get an acting gig. I think a lot of the more negative replies here are predicated on you not finding any work or a place to live and just wasting all your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

The lads 22. I wish Id done more risky stuff at that age. Whatever happens he'll make good friends and grow as a person.

• Locked thread