Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Yggdrassil posted:

Im not going to drama school, no. I'll be taking acting classes.
We'll be staying at whatever we can find for the lowest price possible until we get a job. Recommendations on accomodation and our best options would be very appreciated. Then, after we get a job, we would start looking for a flat or a share, depending on our budget.

It's like you're reading what people are telling you and metaphorically sticking your fingers in your ears going "la la la, i will still be able to do this, just tell me WHERE i should look for cheap accommodation and high paying shift work already!"

I've lived in London for 28 of my 31 years. I'm a small business owner in a rather affluent area in SE London, I just about make minimum wage and live in a shared flat in a room smaller than the average prison cell.

I have seen degree holders job search for 2+ years (not post grad jobs, but shift work / bar work / retail / paper rounds / shoe shining / literally anything!) and still be unemployed living off of measly benefits and only surviving because of the grace of their parents.

You will find road blocks every step of the way here, if you plan to just land and rock up at a hostel with all your worldly belongings, no bank account, no job. Well, then you're gonna trust whoever else is in said hostel not to steal from you for the many, MANY months you may be there before finding gainful employment. When you do start interviewing you're gonna be competing with tens, if not hundreds of thousand of unemployed and better educated / qualified people than you. Should you some how get one of these jobs then you're gonna need a bank account for your employer to pay in to, to get a decent one of them you need a permanent living address (I'm not sure they'll accept a hostel as a living address), which starts a nice catch 22 scenario where you cant get an address without the job, you cant get the job without a bank account, and you cant get a bank account without an address. Basically, without having a close friend already living in London willing to put you up in a spare room and allow you to get some kind of papertrail going that's gonna be pretty drat hard to over come.

Your average bar work will see you doing just around 20 hours a week, normally on a zero hour contract and never more than part time hours so that you don't get any decent employment benefits. Hotels might be a good place to look, but unless you have some real qualifications you'll probably be overlooked for those with plenty of them as well as a service record of customer service experience, but again, you'd probably still be on the above contract and as previously stated, you'll be out bid by the 'government programs' which is pretty much giving big corporations slave labour.

If you manage to get a bank account, a job, and then start looking for more permanent accommodation then you're gonna be poo poo out of luck with any estate agents, no credit history means a 6month downpayment (remember where average rent is about 1k a month inner city, that's £6k for a downpayment). Of course you could try private renting, they'll probably want a 2 month down payment and a ton of personal references and come with zero security that an estate agent provides. Which really leaves your only option as being a tenant in someone else's house, they'll still want a deposit but you'll be looking at around 500 a month, bills included for a tiny single bedroom, shared bathroom and kitchen. The average wage on those zero hour contract jobs that you're looking for, you'll make around 600-750 a month. Take off your travel expenses, food, little personal luxuries and you'll see why we're saying you wont be saving anything here. Let alone paying for these acting classes you're talking about.

This city will beat you down hard, it is soley designed to have the working class serve the upper class, you're paid just enough to afford to work and not a penny more. Unless you come from wealth, inherit some financial stability, have some sought after skills and qualifications then you're pretty much hosed out of living here with any plan to thrive. Even people born and raised here that move to another city in the UK have a hard time getting back inside the M25, it's just too hard to come up with the money to get started and then gamble on getting a job before whatever little money you have burns up.

So yeah, in summary, unless you have about £10k in the bank already, a willing friend to act as a living address for you, a job already lined up, and many other things, this is quite the pipe dream you have going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

As you'll see from most the replies here, a lot of us already live in London so may not be the best people to ask on cheap housing (I know there is one goon living in a long term hostel situation but i'm not sure they'd want to be named or even frequent the site any more).

Perhaps try finding some travel forums or something for references on that front.

As for jobs.

The job centre is a good start in getting your NI number and get on their books, at which point you will be given precisely ZERO opportunities at getting a job, they will try funnelling you into unpaid internships and volunteer work to get valuable career and interview experience (while stacking shelves at multinational supermarkets because we all know that's great experience for any career).

You'd be better off signing up to any and all job agencies you can find, both big chain ones, and, once you find out where you'll be living, some local independent ones.

You talk about sending off hundreds of emails a day, yeah, you'll be doing that here, along with the literally tens, if not hundreds of thousands of unemployed job seekers. When I returned from living 3 years abroad it took me 9 solid months of job hunting, sending out just as many cv's, signing up to all sorts of scams, sales pitches for training with no real job at the end, etc etc. And that's WITH qualifications and experience in my field, AND before we hit this global recession bullshit.

So basically do not expect to find a job within a few days of looking, it can and will take weeks, if not months, and possibly years.

Bar staff, wait staff, kitchen porters and house cleaners are gonna be your best bet (though house cleaning normally requires a car as you'd need to tote around all your own supplies). Come prepared with as many copies of your CV as you can print, get yourself a cheap PAYG mobile phone so any where you apply can contact you, and just start handing them things out in every bar, cafe, restaurant, whatever, you come across. Just remember, they would have already been handed 10 CV's that morning before you even got in there, so again, don't think that's a dead cert way of getting a job. Recommendation letters don't really mean poo poo over here, but personal recommendations go a long way. If you have any contact with someone in London already that works in a bar / restaurant chain, and they are hiring, you've a far better chance with that then cold calling anywhere. The ol' "it's not what you know, it's who you know" thing.

As you'll be living in a hostel for the first few months you will have no way of storing perishable or frozen food, so your budget of 2k is gonna disappear VERY quickly when buying food daily, travelling to job hunt daily, getting back and forth to a Job Centre (I can guarantee getting a NI card is far harder than you think, you'll be going back and forth for a while before they tell you they've lost all your details and you need to start over), living costs, etc etc. All up I'd say your daily outgoing will be somewhere around £20 a day if you factor in travel, food, lodging and the occasional top up on a phone. And that's if you're super frugal and know exactly where you're going, what shops are where, don't get lost anywhere or stuck in the rear end end of town after buses / trains stop running. So with that said, you'd last 3 months at best on 2k. Though honestly, and more realistically, you could halve that due to the nature of London and it's ability to sap cash from your pocket in ways you've never imagined.

If your end goal here is to attend an acting class in London you may fair far better looking to start off your life here in a town outside of London, getting yourself established, getting a paper trail going, and then dedicating 1 or 2 days a month on coming into the city to do the job / accommodation hunt.

Places like Brighton, Portsmouth, Canterbury, all big student towns, all around 1-2 hours outside of the city by train, but the living costs are basically halved, you can walk around them towns with next to no public transport costs needed, you'll find cheaper housing, and generally wont get run through the poo poo mill that is city life in London.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Yggdrassil posted:

Very interesting, what about the job opportunities on those towns? I would still need to, eventually, move to London because of acting job opportunities, but if moving first to a smaller town in the periphery gives my plan more chance of succeeding, so much the better.

They are all student towns, so the turn over of staff is much higher than those that absolutely need a regular paycheck in London. A lot of students just do jobs temporarily while it's term time, then quit to go back home for breaks. As you'll be getting here just around summer you will find a lot more opportunities for bar / shift work in a student town than you will in London.

The commute is around 2 hours by train (but will cost you around £40-£50), or around 3-4 hours by bus / coach which can be had for under £10 if you shop around / book in advance.

One major thing not really being factored in here is the cost of your acting class, I'll assume it isn't free (and if it is then it wouldn't be valued by any reputable scouting agency) so you're gonna be paying for this. Even local evening courses in things like photography can run up to £100's a month, it's a luxury that very few people can afford. You'd need to be saving for a VERY long time to even consider starting a course and then hope that you don't lose employment for the duration of said course as even those of us living here 'comfortably' can last maybe 10-30 days without income before we're homeless.

London is a very scary knife edge to live upon.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

opus111 posted:

The rent in London is absurd, there's no way that can be overemphasized.

The fact it is literally cheaper to rent a flat in Barcelona and literally fly into London every day than it is to live in a similar sized accommodation in the city highlights this fact.

As for shaving living costs:

Get a bike. - seriously, if you dont drink and can cycle home from networking in bars / clubs / events then do so. Same with commuting to - from work. This will be your biggest way to save money and you can pick up a roadworthy bike on craigslist / gumtree / freecycle easy enough.

Freecycle - drat good service in finding cheap furniture and other goods. Sign up to it and use it for all you can til you can afford better.

Be prepared to eat poo poo. - When i first moved back to London after 3 years in the states i managed to live off of a loaf of bread, processed meat slices, a tub of cream cheese, and some sausage rolls every day at work. Cost around £7 a week. Evening meals were basically frozen chips and chicken nuggets for a further £10 a week. Spending <£80 a month on food for a few months was great for my budget but it was bland and horrible.

Megabus - if you decide to move to a neighbouring city use megabus services instead of trains. Literally 90% cheaper if booked in advance and at least 50% cheaper if booked on the day. And only adds maybe an extra 30-60 mins to the travel time (so long as it isnt rush hour)

Orange Wednesdays - im pretty sure these are a thing, but as you are looking to get into the entertainment world i assume you will be interested in cinema visits. Orange wednesday was / is a deal to get 2 for 1 tickets that you can share the cost with a friend.

All i can think of for now, also, if you do come check out the London Goon Meets. We are mostly good people, we sit around talking about how hard it is living under London's poverty line and the winner is the person thst comes up with something worse than in the 4 yorkshiremen sketch from Monty Python.

Just kidding, there are no winners at a goon meet (unless you can chug a drinking horn of Müller Rice.)

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Yggdrassil posted:

I think there's a misunderstanding here. I see that some of you guys got the idea of me trying to rent a flat, while i have been trying to tell you that im looking for flatshares. I know that flat renting goes for about 600 pounds, but im refering to sharing a house with other people beside my friend, renting a room that might be shared with others. That's what im talking about, and that's why i was speaking of 100 quid a week for flatshares.

Except they aren't 100 a week unless in a very lovely area or you are sharing with 11 other people, sometimes 2-3 people to a room with no common area.

I live in zone 5 and pay £500 a month for a room with someone else living in the other room in this flat. My room is literally smaller than your standard prison cell.

In zones 1-3 you will pay A LOT more than 100p/w.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

South London is generally poo poo. But I live Zone 5, South East. It takes me 18 mins by train to get to Victoria which is a main terminal in central and from there you have quick access to everywhere.

However while you definitely could find a flatshare for 100p/w, or even less, i believe the 1-5 monthly travel card on an oyster is over £200 now so what you save in rent goes on travel.

This is what we are saying about how London is designed to eat you alive.

I seriously think you should look into neighbouring cities where you could live and work comfortably and still able to come in to the city on a semi regular basis for networking, auditions, scouting jobs and other accommodation and hell, you could genuinely save money just by living 50-100 miles out side of town.

Also, it takes about 1hr 20mins to get from Portsmouth to Victoria. It can take more than that to get from zone 4 east london to zone 4 west london via the tube at times. London is an overwhelmingly HUGE metropolis. Location is everything here.

I do begrudgingly agree that North London is the place to be though. To me, a born and raise SE London i find the north of the river to be a different country altogether, but as far as entertainment, opportunities, social life, and general experience of London proper, it is ALL north of the river. Though we are a bit weary of late night travel, a little snobbish, etc, at least some of us have the balls to go north, i've been a goon 6 years and i think we have had just 2 goon meets south of the river in that time cos all the northern scum are scared to cross the bridges (i think they may be vampires what with their love of late nights and fear of crossing running water!)

The north / south divide is generally a friendly rivalry.

P.S. stay away from Brixton.

dpack_1 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 3, 2015

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

oliwan posted:

You people are fascinating. South London is the best London, especially Brixton. My teacher friends of whom I spoke earlier have just bought a flat in Brixton and it is amazing.

I got put off of Brixton when seeing someone get held at gunpoint for their shopping bags im broad daylight and people just crossing the street instead of getting involved (as in calling police, not being an action hero).

I was only 16 and did not have a phone at the time.

Also, OP, you will never have the means to rent a flat. Working 2 part time jobs to make ends meet will leave you with zero chance to save. If you look at a place with 1k per month you would need to put down 1k rent in advance, 1.5k security deposit and anywhere from 200-500 in agent fees. So a round £3k just to get through the door. And most places are unfurnished with white kitchen goods only, so you would get the keys for your shiney new flat and promptly sleep on the floor with no furniture at all.

It would take you around 2-5 years to save that 3k, while working them two part time jobs, assuming you have no unexpected bills. You will indefinitely find an unexpected bill in that time. Oh and thats while saving for your acting classes too right?

Yeah, you wont stand a chance renting a flat for a very very long time.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

I've had my jaw broke cos someone REALLY wanted my mobile phone in Clapham. Had what i assume was a knife held to my back at an ATM and forced to draw another £70 out at Tottenham Court Road and ushered down a side street and asked for money by a group of kids up near Camden once but they got scared off when a bunch of friendly aussie rugby players saw what was going down and intervened.

To be fair though im a scrawny looking gently caress and probably make an easy target.

Oh and an ex of mine got sexually assaulted in Brixton too so i guess that place just rubs me the wrong way.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

As a whole the crime rate (and specifically violent crime) is relatively low. I do by and large feel incredibly safe about town in spite of them few instances as it is just an unfortunate part of inner cities.

My mentioning of what has happened to me was just a direct response to OP's line of questioning on the matter and not intended to be off putting in general.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Yggdrassil posted:

Im actually separating the genuine advice from the constant useless trashing that many of you seem so keen on posting. Which is a pity, since while you are doing that, you guys have no loving idea of the place where i come from, my reasons to do this, and what i had to do to be able to do this. I would like this to be the last time i address you about the derailing of the main topic towards your 'lamentations of how hard life is in London'. You can actually warn me and give me advice so i have a better chance, or you can just throw poo poo at me with no result whatsoever.

I've been a mix of "don't come here, London is shite" and "if you're hell bent on doing it then at least consider these things" in this thread.

But this. This has me in hysterics.

None of us really care where you come from, no we don't have an idea of what you've gone through, but you have no loving clue what it's like living in London and we actually do, what with living here. So that's a mighty big hypocritical statement you just made.

Those telling you this place is awful are actually giving you good advice as well as those saying you 'could' make it. But you need to understand you've got a very low chance of actually doing anything here other than minimum wage jobs in a lovely flat share with no common rooms and if your idea of a good night is to have friends over and play board games then you'll either be doing that on your own bed or not at all. You will go crazy without being able to socialise in that way, and that's why the majority of us all go out to a sam smiths pub and get drunk. We drink the pain away.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

opus111 posted:

The lads 22. I wish Id done more risky stuff at that age. Whatever happens he'll make good friends and grow as a person.

This.

I was fortunate enough to spend 3 years in America from the age of 20 to 23, it was fun as hell, being a city boy and moving to the country opened all kinds of opportunities for me and actually what started me down the path of owning my own business now. So i'm all about this experience stuff.

But goddamn you HAVE to have an exit strategy or a plan b or something, cos moving to the country in backwater Ohio cost pennies (i still own a house in Pennsylvania that cost me less than a year's salary for christ sake), but moving to London, drat... just ... drat.

So yeah, OP, come here, have fun, hope to whatever god you do or don't believe in that you find work before you get eaten alive, meet people, see places, travel, do all that good poo poo. But have an exit strategy, have a family member willing to come drag you out of the gutter, have a separate bank account with enough in it for a last minute flight home, buy a winning lottery ticket, something, anything. Just make sure you have a way out for when poo poo hits the fan.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

Hey OP, [Tell] me how it feels to say on page two that you're traveling with your return ticket already bought, and then have people constantly chide you to have an "exit strategy" for the next three pages of your thread.

Having a return ticket specifies an exact date of return, OP sounds like they have that as a plan, but the main goal is to stay here indefinitely and work as a movie star. If the return ticket is for 1 months time after their arrival they will most likely still be delusional about 'making it' here and thus forego using that ticket home.

We're suggesting they have a second back up plan, like keeping £XXX in a separate bank account in case they decide in 9 months time that we were right and living in London is not for them.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

Anytime Ticket:

There are several methods of travel which will let you purchase a (more expensive) ticket in advance, and hold on to it until you need it, rather than setting an exact date.

Well colour me informed. I knew you could do open returns on trains (but still usually limited to 'any time in the next 30 days') but with all the lovely fees and stipulations and hoops you jump through in getting airline tickets I had no idea that would even be a thing.

OP, spend the extra money and get one of them tickets.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Yggdrassil posted:

I've seen a lot of youtube videos on this, many of them come not even knowing english, thus getting into really lovely jobs and having lots of problems. The situation in Spain must be really bad :S
What do you mean by "looking at the lower 20's" ?

He was being generous saying you would earn £20-25k per annum.

Most reception work actually pays around £13-16k per annum and I dont see the bilingual thing adding too much more to it on the whole.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

opus111 posted:

3% is nice for the afternoon, get a nice buzz going, no need to go all out while the sun is still shining.

This is so horribly unbritish

Afternoon sun drinking should be done with the warmest, heaviest cider you can find. Old Rosie does the job well for a >7% pint in the sun.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Yggdrassil posted:

Still those last paragraphs are great. Im delving into the idea of biking... depending on location, just using the bike to go anywhere could be nice (not for the first month, because i need to get used to moving arround in the city, but once im established).

I should use monster.co.uk, thou reed.co.uk has given me good results.

I don't know what a limited company nor being contracted is. ¿Could you explain me? Bear in mind i dont have qualifications -my situation is radically different from yours.

Thanks again!

You absolutely do not need to worry about becoming your own company. That's a ridiculous statement.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

opus111 posted:

QUADRUPLE POST

MULTI KILL

Seriously, everything you post in this thread is tripe. Just stop now.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Did you have too many of your 3% piss waters in the sunny weather we had today or something?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

It's also worth noting that when someone says they live in the 'Greenwich area' they probably mean somewhere like Plumstead or Woolwich, which are utter loving dives, they just happen to come under the borough of Greenwich but not Greenwich proper.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Yggdrassil posted:

How much time do you people usually spend going from home to work? If i were to live, for example, at zone 5, having to travel to zone 2 for work, how much on average would it take me to get there? (by tube).

Also, regarding work hours: full-time comprises 7 hours of work and 1 hour for lunch, or 8 hours of work and 1 hour for lunch?

As said above, not really easy to answer as it depends on all sorts of things, but it's not uncommon for most people to commute over an hour each way.

As for working hours, you'll be doing shift work, not regular stuff, so could be anything from a 3 hour shift to a 12 hour shift. In those kind of industries you can sometimes spend up to 16 hours including commuting and 'cleaning' (some places insist you work after hours, off the clock, as in completely unpaid, to help with cleaning / locking up etc, if you don't wanna do that, tough luck, you do it or you don't get given any more shifts).

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Yggdrassil posted:

I'll mostly be looking to nail a call center job that requires spanish skills or something like that. I see that many of these jobs are listed as permanent & full time. Is that different to what you just described? Also, what you stated there is a standard example of a zero-hour contract, am i correct?

Yep.

Call centre work will often be performance based, make X calls within Y time. If you meet that mark you don't get a bonus or anything, they just go "Well done, next week make X+1 calls within Y time now!", and repeat that til it's actually impossible to meet that target and then be dragged into a performance review to discuss why you aren't meeting targets and why you're getting put on probation.

Lower end jobs are so poo poo over here.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Anti-Derivative posted:

London can be a lot of fun, but financially it can be a harrowing experience if you don't have money. It's worth giving it a go if you are able to fly home if poo poo all goes to hell. There aren't a lot of safety nets here so you'll need to know that if you fail, you can get the hell out.

Random thoughts from someone who originated in another country and has been in London for ages:
Housing:
- As a North American i was not particularly used to the whole "living with flatmates well into your 30s" thing. That seems to be par-for-the-course here. If you come from a place where living with people at your age isn't common, get used to it unless you are going to be making > £60k. It's a good way to meet people anyways.
- Assuming you aren't incredibly lucky, for a nice place in a decent area in zone 1-2 living with 3+ people you're looking at around a minimum of around £700+ a month not including bills/tax which is probably another £100 a month. You can take that down to £500 if you're willing to live in a a dump, further out, or both. Going lower than that and you're going to have to deal with some really dodgy stuff (large groups of kids outside your door setting barrels on fire and rolling them down the pavement, or your 50 year old flatmate abruptly moves his wife and 2 kids into his room), or share a room. If you want a 1 bed to yourself in a decent area you're looking at a minimum of about £1400-1500+ a month.
- Be very careful if your flatmate is the landlord. If that's the case you're considered a lodger and not a tenant and all the property rights are in favour of the landlord. Unless you have a written contract stating otherwise if things go awry you could be forced out with as little as 7 days notice.
- Landlords are legally obliged to put your deposit in an official tenancy deposit scheme. That scheme administers the deposit and can adjudicate on whether you get it back or not in the event of a dispute once you leave. Many landlords still don't do this and just keep the money in their own account and give you grief if you try to get it back.
- Obtaining housing is very scarce and competitive. If you see a place you like, you basically should just take it right there and then. Don't take a few days to 'have a think' because it will be gone. The place I live in now, I was the second viewing after it went on the market. There was a queue of people with other letting agents waiting at the door to view it after me. I told my agent (who worked for the landlord directly) I would take it during the viewing. If the agent doing my viewing didn't work for the landlord directly there would've been a bidding war, in person, on the steps of the property. This was the 3rd time i've seen this sort of thing happen.
- That being said, never take a property without seeing it, and if you wire the rent via western union you are a moron and will never see the money again. You want an AST (assured shorthold tenancy). If there's a break clause (6 month break clauses are common in ASTs) make sure it's mutual, some landlords will try to get the break clause on their end only.
- If you have a pet then the pool of available properties you can live in has basically dwindled down to gently caress all, pretty much every landlord forbids them.
- Don't be one of those people who is afraid of "Hackney". It's super-gentrified now. There are still many dodgy parts but it's mostly a place to be.
- The art students appear to be living in Peckham now so it's the new edgy up-and-coming (maybe already-came) place to be.
- Get a pay membership to spareroom.co.uk if you plan to use it. The free account will just break your heart since you'll never see the properties quickly enough.
People:
- Lots of interesting people, generally at the top of their game. Since everyone flocks here, employers have their pick of the pool, so everyone who has been here for a protracted period of time appears to be really successful at whatever they do and probably is.
- That being said, if you're good looking and social you can probably get jobs at restaurants and bars pretty easily. These pay poo poo and are full of drama but are better than nothing. You'll probably change jobs often in this case.
- Can be difficult to maintain a large group of friends because people are constantly leaving (financial issues, visa issues, or just homesick). It's a very transient city, people are arriving and leaving all the time. You'll make lots of great friends, but see lots of them leave.
- I'm still not sure why wooden jewelry is so popular with the spanish and only them.
- People who wear polo shirts with popped collars live south of the river.
Transport:
- The overground is luxurious compared to the tube. The carriages are newer, air conditioned, have more space.
- Black cabs are very expensive. Minicabs (which are pre-booked) can be cheaper unless you are on a night out and trying to get home - at that point they hose you on the rates. Uber is popular here now but get-me-home-after-a-night-out rates can be severe as well.
- The tube generally closes around midnight (although there are some lines which will be 24 hours now). You will likely want to familiarise yourself with night bus services. These are the buses that run 24 hours. You can get from anywhere to anywhere at any time using these buses, although they generally will take forever to get there. Far cheaper than a taxi. Night buses are denoted on bus stop signs with the letter "N", for example N38, or a little (24 hour) symbol next to the number. If neither of those are on your route, that bus doesn't run 24 hours.
- At the top of every bus stop there is a sign with a red letter on it. There's a map at each stop. If you look on the map all the red-letters are plotted on it. Use the combination of map + stop-letter to figure out if you are waiting at the correct stop and if not how to find the right one.
- For plotting tube and bus journeys use http://www.tfl.gov.uk. Google maps works too but TFL incorporates up-to-date construction works and re-directions so will be more accurate.
- The bus-times iphone app hooks into TFL's system and tells you when the next buses are arriving at whatever stop you're using. Can be helpful if it's a stop that doesn't have a screen showing the same.
- If you ride a bike, you can probably get wherever you are going faster than using a bus or the tube. If you survive.
- If you leave your bike outside over night, it will get stolen.
General:
- It does rain a lot, but it's less than people think. London can be really lovely in the summer.
- When the weather is good, everyone will be in a park drinking cans.
- Hampstead heath is a very pretty park. There are ponds there that people swim in, however they are so utterly saturated with people at all times that I expect the water is mostly dead skin and cum.
- If it's past 1am, you're drunk and you want to pull, the late night meat-market bars I know of are the Jazz Bar in Dalston, the Dolphin in Hackney, or the Swan in stockwell. I cannot vouch for the quality of mate you will find in these places though.
- Every single person (and some who aren't) in London is on Tinder. Your future boss is on it, so is your landlord. Everyone.
- Every band you've ever hoped to see will come to London. The show will be sold out before you can manage to get tickets though.
- Australians are everywhere. It seems like every Australian will spend a year in London at some point so there's always a lot of them coming to visit. If you get an Australian flatmate, expect to wake up every two weeks and find a different Australian visitor staying for 2 weeks cooking eggs and hanging his underpants in your kitchen to dry.
- If you are on an escalator, do not loving stand still on the left side. The right side is for standing still. Left side is for people who are going to walk up/down it.
- Brick lane curries are overrated, but will do the trick. I recommend avoiding and going to Tayyab's across from the hospital in Whitechapel. Prepare to queue though. Good mixed grill.
- best coffee is at Prufrock on Leather Lane.
- 'street food' markets are just a front operation for selling pulled pork.
- If you own an unlocked smartphone, don't bother with the usual companies. Use the 'giff-gaff' network (they use the O2 infrastructure so coverage is good). Their rates are very low providing you bring your own device.
- Never, ever go out around Piccadilly circus.
- Foxes make the most hosed up sound when they shag. And you can hear it from blocks away. They also like pizza.
- On the top floor of Harrods there is a pet spa. It has glass walls so you can watch people in lab coats giving massages to pugs. Mesmerising.
- There is a famous quote you will likely hear, "If you are bored of London, you are bored of life." The man who said this wrote dictionaries for a living.

This quote here is a work of art.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Yggdrassil posted:

That was Awesome.

I have a few questions, and thoughts...
-I'm finding lots of accommodation options (always to share) for <400 p/m including bills, at spareroom and gumtree. Is it really worth it to pay the fee for spareroom, being that i can actually find stuff in both websites?.

As he states, most of what you're seeing has probably already been taken. Try calling the numbers and find out for yourself. That or they'll go "£400p/m with bills included? That must be a typo, it's £1,400 a month, still interested?" much like the 'trick' on ebay to list a dozen items that is NOT the thing you're selling just to garner a bunch of interest.

Yggdrassil posted:

-¿How scarce are bar/restaurant jobs? I'm average looking, and pretty social. I've experience in the service industry, and would be really interested in getting a job in a bar/restaurant, since the shift mechanic would allow me to go to auditions when i need to.

High turn around, you'll find bar work easy enough. But good luck ever trying to convince a boss to change the rota so you can go to an audition. You either shift change with a colleague or you just accept the days and times you'll be working. They aren't negotiable and if you whine about it then you find next week you have no shifts. Hence the high turn around.

Yggdrassil posted:

-Regarding transport, i'll be looking to get that discount for the Oyster card that you can apply to if you are under 25. Once i get established, i should check if getting a bike is convenient, though i don't want to end up with black lungs.

Far more likely to get sick on public transport than you are cycling.

Yggdrassil posted:

-You mention several places to buy cooked food, though i was actually thinking of avoiding buying pre-cooked food altogether and cook myself. Isn't it cheaper if i cook my own food? Maybe the price differential is small enough to make buying pre-cooked food worth my money...

Where are you going to store this food before it's eaten? A shared flat with 4-5 people and 1 fridge/freezer leaves you about 1ft cubed for your goods. That and it's often cheaper to eat fast food for one person than it is to cook for one person and hope the rest doesn't go off before you can eat it. If you get lucky some of your flat mates might be into sharing nights with who cooks and you can all have regular meals in the way we do rounds in a pub (one person pays and cooks everything one night, next person does it the following night, and so on)

Yggdrassil posted:

-I remember reading that quote. It's great :)

Another good quote: "Nothing is impossible, except skiing through revolving doors"

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Anti-Derivative posted:

It is far cheaper to eat food you make yourself.

Counter point:

Literally just ordered that.

Less than £20 and there are what, 8-10 meals in that.

Sure it's poo poo food with little to no nutritional value. But it really is inexpensive to eat out if you have a cast iron stomach / don't mind suffering gut rot.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Anti-Derivative posted:

where the gently caress are you ordering this from?

http://www.just-eat.co.uk/restaurants-marloschicken-se12/menu

The chicken burgers and chicken strips are surprisingly not that bad.

The chips are usually soggy.

The rice is just a standard boil in the bag thing with some cut up chicken strips thrown in it.

The burgers are bottom the line kebab shop style burgers.

The whole / 1/2 / 1/4 chickens are full of fat.

But as I said, it feeds the 5000 for pennies.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Goldskull posted:

For £20 I could go to Sainsbury's and get far more good, healthy food that would last more than a week than that terrible shite. How do you even stand to eat a kebab shop burger sober or (I assume) reheated? Also we know each other through a mutual friend and have a met a couple of times.

To answer your barwork question, yep, it's easy enough to find a pub job. I wouldn't expect to walk in and start trying to swap shifts around for auditions immediately, but once you've been there a while and proved yourself reliable/able to cover other staffs shifts none of that would be a problem. Don't expect tips either, unless you're a stunningly attractive female, in which case you'll get tips and all kinds of lairiness. A number of the Brewery chains do job alerts on Twitter too, I know Fullers do at least. Whether or not you'd want to subject yourself to their stupid training and tests is another matter though.

I assure you that post of junk was not a single meal for a single person. I was post-tattoo couch bound so didn't feel like going out, instead had some friends over and for £5 each we chipped in to get that. It was a joke post on a comedy forum. I'm fully aware it is a horrific bucket of poo poo.

Though it is indeed possible to find a take away meal for as little as £2 and not starve to death. Try making a single meal for £2 in sainsbury's. A meal that doesnt actually cost £5 and create left overs. My point is that it is difficult to buy single serve amounts of healthy food to be cooked daily if you have limited storage space for said ingredients or to store pre-made meals ready to be reheated another day.

Also, who are you and how do you know me!? I'm pretty well known in my small neck of the woods due to my job, and a few goons know me too, but it's kinda creepy when told "I know who you are" and you've no idea who is saying that.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Goldskull posted:

It's currently undergoing a refurb, and no-one's quite sure how it'll turn out. Fuller's seem determined to make it food led rather than wet led, which is loving idiotic given there's a thousand places to eat in Soho. But as long as the staff and music remain the same, it'll be fine. No TVs, music decided by the staff and good beer. You might struggle once they put all the stupid new tables in depending on how many of you there are. I can let you know more once it re-opens on Tuesday.

That's a shame. Was always a good place to go that never seemed to get 'too' crowded no matter what.

The ongoing shift of the big name pubs trying to turn every little hole into a 'gastro experience' is annoying as gently caress.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

While I am aware how slow the NHS can be I've always been ridiculously lucky with my interactions with them.

I often have ambulance rides to A&E, get seen immediately, never left waiting around. Have follow up doctor visits within a week and sifted through Physio and a Pain Clinic within a couple weeks.

Preexisting conditions seem to help here as opposed to the states where you are penalised for losing the genetic lottery.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Ahdinko posted:

Nah you're definitely in another country, you can't be talking about England here.

About 3 years ago I took my dad to A&E because he was having chest pains, shortness of breath, and pains down the left arm (heart attack). He told all of this to the woman at the desk and he got treated like someone with a sprained ankle. We were sitting waiting in A&E for about an hour and 15 minutes before he got seen by a doctor, who said he definitely needed to stay in, did some tests, and told him he has had a heart attack. Luckily it wasnt one big enough to kill him right there and then, but they kept him in for a few days for surgery to put stents in.

Sitting and waiting in a loving queue while having a heart attack.

Well you see there's your problem. You went to A&E.

Call an ambulance (if it is genuinely serious, as most chest pains are) and you skip all that poo poo and get straight into a bed.

I tend to end up in hospital every 3-6 months due to chronic pain causing my heart to go into overdrive, sustaining 150BPM+ for hours on end. When it starts hurting enough that i notice that i'll call 111, they'll send an ambulance out and the paramedics will hook me up to an ECG, go "oooh... that's... yeah..." turn the blue lights on and 10 mins later i'll be holed up in a bed with enough cables hanging off of me to be part of a cheesy sci-fi and constant supervision for 12 hours before being given a bunch of opiates and told to follow up with a GP that week.

So yeah, with serious poo poo our medical service is pretty hot. Though I do agree the GP system is some circle of hell, and god forbid you have a mental illness, you'll be treated worse than you can imagine thanks to the fact the NHS pretty much refuses to believe mental illnesses exist.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Yggdrassil posted:

I forgot to erase that post once I saw there was no way I could commute from Croydon to the centre. Thanks anyway!

It takes 15 mins to get from Victoria to Croydon.

But why anyone would ever want to go to Croydon let alone live there is beyond me.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Yggdrassil posted:

There were a couple good offers in accommodation there.

Sure there were, in a recent survey more people in Croydon identified as being 'unhappy' than literally anywhere else in the UK.

It's the saddest place to live in the country.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Kaiho posted:

It totes gives rail routes as well.

If you're in London. The clue is in the postcode. Croydon doesn't have London postcodes.

Unless you living in the stupid south east.

London Borough of Bromley (Londons biggest borough no less) has a BR postcode instead of SE. Same as my old home town of Bexley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Yggdrassil posted:

Not on Paris, but my co-workers who come from Germany, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and even other parts of the UK say that London's life standard is really sub-par, mostly due to the high cost of living and the costs of rent & housing.

So pretty much what everyone that already lives in London told you in this thread before you came?

Yeah, it's possible to get a job and work you way into a multi-flatshare situation here in London, but if you had the choice then goddamn, choose ANY OTHER EUROPEAN CITY!

• Locked thread