Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

quote:

Im moving to London in a few months, and im in search of work oportunities (m looking forward to work my rear end off so i can save up). I was thinking in going for dog walking, since i've done some in my city. I would like some advice on it, information on current employment conditions in London and on the highest paying jobs i could get (non qualified).

Thanks in advance!

Afer a year and a half of saving up, and almost two months of living in London, I can happily say I'm established and living merrily under London's grey skies :)

Before I start babbling about my experience, I want to really thank all goons who stopped by and gave their advice. You played your part in the development of my plan, and I appreciate your help :)

So... there were many reasons for me moving to London. Mainly because of acting, but you could also count in my passion for history, my love of rain, the fact that my country (Argentina) is a chaotic shitstorm, etc.

Before coming here, I had two main objectives that were changing thanks to your input. First one and most important was to get my German passport, and the second one was, of course, money. Thanks to goon input I went from thinking about moving with about 2000 U$S to moving with about £3500. In the end, I did spend less than half of that amount to settle in, but you can never go wrong with just going with more money, right?

A good recommendation for me to goons that want to move here or, I guess, anywhere would be to move with return tickets in hand, and for those return tickets to be "open" to date change, so you can adjust your return to ASAP if you gently caress up. Until the time you settle, get your paycheck, and are able to sustain yourself, this whole thing is just an experiment.

Once I was here, I knew that my objectives were clear; get a NINO, get a bank account, get a job (that's actually the order in which I got them). The NINO was quite easy to get, if you can legally work here, you get it. Just be sure to call and book your appointment as soon as possible, since it can take a while before they give it to you.

The bank account was, for me, the hardest. The whole "proof of address" thing is your main problem. Basically, to open a bank account you need something to prove that you are living in the UK, but it can't be a proof of address sent to a hostel. I went to a Lloyds branch near me to get mine, the first time they asked for that proof of address, I didn't have one, and they rejected me. The second one, I went with a proof of address, and (at the same branch) they didn't ask for it >_>

On getting a job, many people in this thread told me it would take ages.

In my experience though, I moved here with an interview lined up to work at a pub. In the span of one month, I worked at the pub for a week, didn't like it, changed to a different job at a callcentre, and then moved to a much better project within the same callcentre. I'm currently earning about £1350 p/m after taxes, and it works out perfectly for me.

The main two expenditures you'll have in London are:

1) Rent
2) Commute

I cannot stress this enough, if you can do it, MOVE AT WALKING DISTANCE FROM YOUR JOB. It will not only save you a lot of money, but you will not have to use the tube, which can get pretty tiring if you do it everyday. Commuting is expensive as hell and you should avoid it if possible. It's worth it to move near your job even if rent is higher, in my opinion.

Regarding rent, you'll be sharing a flat/house with other people. I basically set my priorities as;

1) I definitely won't share a room
2) I won't pay more than £560 a month for a room.

I used only spareroom.com and found a room pretty fast. The fact that you are new in town and that you will need to rent a room ASAP gives you an advantage over other people that might just be looking for the same room to move in a while, so do make sure you set your priorities and don't sign a long term contract without a short term break clause (or anything that allows you to move out in the short term). My contract is for a year, but has a break clause after 5 months. I'm not sure if that's short, medium, or long term for most people here but I consider that a good deal.

So, I got a job at Canary Wharf and moved to Poplar, just 10 blocks away from work. Food, luckily, is quite cheap compared to rent and commute expenses, but don't just eat cheap because you can. Make sure you eat well, it's one of the most important considerations you should have. I'm eating seafood, salads, meat, having my breakfast, drinking juice, etc. for about £150 a month, and I'm quite happy with what I eat. Just try to avoid eating out.

Luckily, I can't give an advice on alcohol and expenditures related to it since I don't drink, but after working at a pub, and seeing the same people coming day after day for drinks, I can figure that some, or many people who do drink let go of big chunks of their salary on booze, so... yay me! :D

As for how I am doing, I got into a pretty chilled out call centre that only recruits creatives (actors, filmmakers, musicians, etc.) and that has this weird way of scheduling your work hours, in which you can choose when you come to work, and you can leave immediately if you get called for an audition. The pay is good (at least for me), the networking side of it is great, and the job is not really stressful.

As an ending note, I think that there's nothing more valuable here than your connections. Network, network, network; every big achievement of my stay here so far has been due to getting in touch with people and learning important information. Stay connected!

That's that for today. Eventually, I might get back to you on how's the adventure going. I thank you all once more!!!

Yggdrassil fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Rolled Cabbage posted:

You might've been better of posting this in the England LAN thread. However, since you've made the thread, why do you want to save up money in London that you couldn't do somewhere cheaper elsewhere in the UK?

Rent in London is around £1.4k per month and minimum wage is £6.50 if you're over 21, so unless you're dog walking every hour of the day I don't think you'll be able to make any savings. You can get cheaper rent if you share a room and there's bunk beds or if you go further out, but transport is expensive in London and if you're dog walking you'll have to go back and forth to the richy rich areas.

Just about every unskilled job you can get pays around the same and most will be on a zero-hours contract, i.e. your employer can give you as many or as little hours as they like. Also bear in mind that a lot of companies that would have employed people for more casual or unskilled roles are now using free workers from the government or 'apprentices' who are paid a fraction of the minimum wage, so they're a lot less of them than there used to be. Also depending on where you're from you may not be eligible or may not be eligible until a certain number of months have passed for things like housing benefit, which a lot of people in these jobs use to stop themselves from starving (this is not hyperbole).

This post is not meant to be a deluge of negativity, but it is tough for many people to make ends meet in the UK at the moment and it's better you go to London with your eyes wide open about what might be waiting for you.

I'll try posting in that thread, thanks! Im going to London because the drama school i'll be attending to is located there. I do have some experience in customer service at a pretty important hotel (and a recommendation letter from there) so that was another option. Im fully aware of the cost of living, since i've done my research. Still, it is nice to be able to talk to people from the UK about this.
Im moving there with a German passport, by the way.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Hotels can be a good option because they often come with free accommodation. But you would struggle to fit that around a school schedule, and it will be easier to find outside London. Please tell me you have another means of supporting yourself while there, and weren't planning on trying to support yourself in London by working part time in between classes.

I've done some freelancer design in the past, so i could also resort to that, thou it all depends on my course's schedule. By the way, i was not talking about drama school -im talking about acting courses and training, since i've already gone through drama school at my home country. I understand drama school has a pretty thight schedule of about 8-10 hours a day, but this is not what im getting into.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

oliwan posted:

...you have no idea what you are getting into. Hint: it will not be freelance design work.

Actually i do have an idea, and i dont mind working shifts at restaurants, bars, or doing any kind of low pay job. I've done those and im sure i'll be doing that for many years. I was trying to get info regarding any job opportunities that i might be able to squeeze to save up. I asked for dog walking and hotel work because i've done that and it's more or less well paid here.

I live in Argentina -.-

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Lady Gaza posted:

I live in London and only moved here when I could guarantee I could afford it. I first came here as a student so I had my loans to pay for housing, and then I came back only once I had a job lined up. My landlord required proof of income before I could rent my flat; do you have somewhere to stay lined up? How will you pay for it?

I really hope it works out for you but to be honest without anything definite set up and no qualifications it'll be tough to get by. You'll likely be on minimum wage jobs, and considering rent would be £600+ a month you'd struggle.

If you have general questions about working in London I can try and help though. I live in East London and work in Westminster, so I'd say my commute is about 45 mins total which seems fairly standard. Travel with an Oyster card is quite cheap, I think my Zone 1-3 travel pass costs about £125 a month, which is OK considering you can use the tube/bus any other time. If you can, cycling is a great way to save money.
Westminster is a nice place to work although like all of Zone 1 the cafes/pubs/etc are getting really expensive so if you want to save money I'd suggest bringing your own food for lunch and not drinking a ton each night with coworkers.

Im moving there with a friend, so we would share rent. We'll probably be staying at a hostel until we can get into a flat. I would like to save money by cycling, but that will depend on where i'll work. Nowadays, i have a 90 minute commute to my workplace -and im used to the lovely Buenos Aires transportation service. I also don't drink alcohol and never go out, so i have almost zero "going out" expenses.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Im not going to drama school, no. I'll be taking acting classes.
We'll be staying at whatever we can find for the lowest price possible until we get a job. Recommendations on accomodation and our best options would be very appreciated. Then, after we get a job, we would start looking for a flat or a share, depending on our budget.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
I'm sorry, let me explain my situation so I can give you the whole picture. I will be moving there in about 3 months with 2k pounds and a friend. There is a service which some friends living over there have talked me about (where you pay a fee prior to arrival and they help you out setting a bank account). Before moving we would get an appointment at JobCentre Plus to get a NINO. As soon as we arrive, we would need to stay at the cheapest place possible, maybe couch surfing, maybe a hostel, I was looking towards you guys giving me some sort of info on that. As soon as we have the bank acouny and NINO, we would start looking up for jobs. I'm not sure how fast the employment market moves here, but right now I'm used to send about 100-200 CVs daily to get me working ASAP. I have worked in customer service and at a very important hotel, from which I have a recommendation letter. As soon as I get the job, we would start looking for somewhere to live, which is something I was expecting you would give us some info too. After I get established, I would start taking acting classes. I have been referenced to several, I still don't know what the schedule will be, but I'll probably attend the one who better suits my daily routine and budget.

Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate cold hard truth, but sometimes I get nervous and defensive since this is a huge step for me. I would like advice on how to proceed to optimize our savings and to survive the process!

Yggdrassil fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 23, 2015

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Very interesting, what about the job opportunities on those towns? I would still need to, eventually, move to London because of acting job opportunities, but if moving first to a smaller town in the periphery gives my plan more chance of succeeding, so much the better.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Rolled Cabbage posted:

All the towns mentioned are very commutable for London, so if you did get gigs you wouldn't need to move. Most actors, presenters etc. don't actually live in London (unless they're a movie star). If you got a gig in a long running show the rent problem may solve itself, although... More than half of actors are under poverty line

Have you watched Toast of London OP? I feel like you may appreciate it.

That's interesting. Of course, i know about the normal living conditions of actors (i've read several books about the entertainment industry and networking for aspiring actors, and i recon that this is a problem worldwide, not just in the UK). However, im set on going for it in the UK, since i can't really act professionally in english here :) and i don't like the tv and cinema produced in Argentina. Acting classes are expensive, i see. Luckily i've already studied acting here, so i have what i need to start looking for opportunities once i get a job and establish myself.

Yggdrassil fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 24, 2015

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Haggis Heed posted:

No. Open door policy for EU Nationals.

This thread is ridiculous. Clueless goon moves halfway across the world to one of the most expensive, overly populated cities in the world with high unemployment and expects it all to be fine.

£2k in London is the equivalent of about £800 in the rest of the UK. And £800 won't get you much in the rest of the UK either.

I don't expect all to be fine, i already live in an overly populated city with even more unemployment than London and in a terrible country. I do appreciate a lot the effort of those that are trying to help me out, but if you are passing by just to ridicule me without even knowing my current situation or my reasons to go there, you should know you are wasting your time.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
I dont speak german :-). Of course, im traveling with a return ticket already bought.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
I know how usually people exagerate, however, i've been studying to be an actor for a couple years until now, and i've read enough networking, bussines and method books for actors to develop the mindset needed for it. Which is, accepting that i might probably be living the next 10 years of my life in a box eating noodles. Im not delusional, and i appreciate everyone's effort to convince me not to go there -thou that is not new to me.

Manchester might have the BBC, but people who actually know about the bussines will tell you that, today, London & Los Angeles are the biggest cities in terms of acting opportunities. I've already accepted the idea of how lovely my living conditions will be :P and still i will go there and do my best. I also appreciate those in the thread that actually contributed with ideas, such as looking for accomodation in towns near London where, due to being student towns, i might find a job faster (as im moving during summer).

I will continue to research and to welcome your comments on my project. To some of you i might appear as naive or almost non-informed; consider that you guys actually lived there. I can only trust you and the internet to get actual info, and i've heard from people giving all kinds of different opinions on the subject.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
In actually not concerned about fun. I dont drink alcohol, don't go out dancing, my normal social nights here ARE friend reunions at a house. I dont speak german and I'm going to London for the entertainment industry hub that it is.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Filthee Fingas posted:

Yeah don't come to London. This city thrives on drinking and the big social culture around alcohol. Not saying anyone will pressure you to drink but the majority of your social events will involve pubs/drinking

The fact that i do not drink does not imply im not going to socialize at pubs, it implies im not spending money on alcohol.
Also, WTF on that being a reason for me not to go to London...

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Saros posted:

It's not impossible, I moved here last August and worked in a hostel for two months while I searched for professional work (which I have degrees and years of experience in).

However you don't seem to have a realistic view of your chances of breaking into acting here (about zero). I met (in those 2 months) probably 30-40 people with quite literally the exact same story as you, (Sth America, Eu passport, acting/theatre). Literally zero of them have had any success in their chosen field and all have gone home broke and dispirited or are here eking out an existence on some 0-hour job or other. Many of them had experience and were extremely talented people.

The reason people are being so negative is that (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) people in your situation are a dime a dozen and we've all seen it a lot before.

You state that London/LA are the places to be for opportunity, and I don't doubt that but there is an enormous enormous glut of people desperate to get into the creative industries. The chances of you having any of that success yourself are slim to none.

That said it sounds like it's your dream and maybe you'll get lucky. So come just be careful to leave yourself a solid exit strategy.

Why do you say i don't have a realistic view? London is the best place to get into the entertainment bussines as an actor. The fact that competition is huge and the chances are dismal would be an excelent reason to get me rid of the stupid idea of pursuing an acting career. Unfortunately for me, that is not an option. Acting is my passion and i accept the suffering it will take to have a shot at it. It might be difficult to understand to you or others, since you might not be the artist type and we come from different cultures. Showbussines is as random as it an get, the key to actually having a shot is for you to take control of those variables you can actually control. I think that the dedication of an aspiring actor should be 40% skill 60% networking and branding. This later part is not only the most important, but also the hardest one for actors to get since their profile (artistic, creative) does not line up well (usually) with the cold, rational aspect of what networking, branding and bussines research implies.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

opus111 posted:

op how old are you?

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

opus111 posted:

the HISTORY - this is one of the main points for me. I love history and london is chock-full of it.
museums and art galleries being free - I spent like 3 months going to the V&A every saturday and still didnt see everything. this ties into history though.
and i just love the feeling of beings somwhere vital, important and pulsating with activity.
I have zero interest in sunny weather, gardens, owning a car etc.

Interesting, we have some things in common...

I took a shot at history in University (i love history). Museums and London History are a big pull for me.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
I saw that the other day at a bookstore, it caught my attention. I'll see if i can get it in exchange for another book at Parque Rivadavia (it's like a huge used books exchange market we got here).

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
You guys can discuss that freely, but keep in mind; i don't go to pubs nor drink. My ideal afterwork probably would be walking arround, going to a museum, and then inviting friends over to eat and play tabletop rpgs. Or watch a movie/series. Or just chat :P. And that's actually pretty ideal: most days after work i'd expect to be partaking in a school project, or at an audition, or doing something related to my acting.

Yggdrassil fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 28, 2015

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

oliwan posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should do what they want to do. However, you will not be able to network or meet people or be noticed with this (attitude to) social life. How are you going to change this?

You jump too soon into conclusion by thinking that my attitude towards social life (which you don't actually know about, since i just described my preferred social activities) limits my networking capabilities. Im very versatile when it comes to blending in with people, im extroverted and have friends and acquaintances coming from very different backgrounds.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Jeza posted:

This thread is taking a turn for the downright moronic. I love drinking but to suggest that it's impossible to network without it is not only stupid, it reflects pretty pathetically on your social lives if you think that you can't without it. Like, London is just about the most multicultural city in the world. Can't see any successful Muslims here, no sir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_teetotalers

Go figure. People way more successful than you ever will be. Calvin Harris is even teetotal lmao, who would have thought that.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/jul/10/daniel-radcliffe-ferne-cotton-teetotalism

Thanks, Jeza.
Getting back on topic, i wanted to see if any goon could tell me about various living expenses they usually pay, and any suggestions you might have to make things cheaper. For example, I heard that being younger than 26, I could get a discount on the oyster car, do you guys know about that and other benefits I might be able to reap?

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Thanks for that info, guys! I've nailed some sales yesterday, I might be able to go with 3-4k £!! Also, we are searching the low price flatshare pages from gumtree, mainly for flatshares for under 100 £ p/w, and emailing the owners about availability in June (which is when we will move). I've heard it's more plausible to get a good deal by arranging it in advance, so we'll see what we can do about it. I've read about the scams when searching for accommodation, we will try to prevent any of those to happen (not sending anyone money, checking and getting a copy of the contract, etc)

What other security measures do you guys recommend for flat hunting?

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

sweek0 posted:

Jesus Christ don't do this. There are plenty of ways to save money on food without loving up your health. Get your vegetables from cheap fruit & veg shops, shop late when there will be more supermarket offers on, eat together with your housemates, don't just throw away food past its best before date because it's probably still OK and you can read up on what's still safe to eat, read blogs on healthy but cheap recipes, cut out meat (or at least go to local butchers and reduce the amount you eat) etc. etc.

Don't worry, i wasn't going to risk my health doing that when i can make homemade pasta and use beans & vegetables to accompany -all cheap & healthy. I've heard good things about the farmers markets, are fruits and vegetables cheaper there?

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

sweek0 posted:

Depends on where you live. Most London farmer's markets are in gentrified areas and actually more expensive.

Oh, i see.

Francois_Dillinger posted:

Please bear in mind that you will be competing for work against many native English speakers, not necessarily British, who are also very highly educated and skilled. I'm not saying there's racism involved in the hiring process but make sure that your spoken English is tip-top (your written English is great). It is very competitive but in my opinion, you should be able to find some work - just don't expect it to necessarily be in your sphere of experience...you're going to need money, quickly. The fact you speak Spanish might be of some help, look for job opportunities regarding this.

Regarding english, my spoken is as good as my written; i've worked at Hewlett Packard, Avaya and the Faena Hotel, all jobs in which i had to speak english 100% of the time. I don't even have Argentinian accent, thou i don't know if that's actually good... maybe for some jobs?

The Grumbles posted:

Debbie downer here has a fair point about London being expensive, but really you'll probably be fine. If you're doing cultural artsy stuff as part of your course then you'll end up networking plenty - even just by working in hospitality jobs you'll end up making interesting connections because most bar/waiting staff in this city are absurdly overqualified for their jobs.
My rent is £600+, I currently earn barely £1K a month. I'm not managing to make any savings, but I'm doing good, interesting work, can afford to feed myself and keep the lights on and still have money left over for boozin'. I actually worked behind the bar in a pub full-time before this, and managed to make rent and save money too. If you have bar experience you can get work at a nice bar or gastropub and make alright money. I'm working a 'real' job now and I'm actually earning a lot less. You sound young - don't worry about what this guy here said about getting into expensive clubs or whatever. You'll doubtless end up at plenty of (free) theatre-crowd houseparties. But nobody goes out to clubs to 'network' so really I have no idea what this guy is talking about. You'll end up networking plenty by virtue of working in hospitality most likely.

I've heard i could actually spend months exploring the museums, which are mostly free, so that's definitely something i'll be doing :)

Yggdrassil fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 2, 2015

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

The Grumbles posted:

*Awesome stuff*

Thanks a lot for that info, man! We will be checking out those places, specially that Chapel Street Market and Chatsworth Rd/broadway :)

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Saros posted:

For £100 per week in zone 2-3 you'll probably be sharing a (too small) room with someone just FYI. Going out further it gets cheaper but transport costs and time also increase a lot.

Expect to pay £600/month for rent unless you live in a total shithole or zone 4+

I think you still need to work on managing your expectations.

I think there's a misunderstanding here. I see that some of you guys got the idea of me trying to rent a flat, while i have been trying to tell you that im looking for flatshares. I know that flat renting goes for about 600 pounds, but im refering to sharing a house with other people beside my friend, renting a room that might be shared with others. That's what im talking about, and that's why i was speaking of 100 quid a week for flatshares.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

dpack_1 posted:

Except they aren't 100 a week unless in a very lovely area or you are sharing with 11 other people, sometimes 2-3 people to a room with no common area.

I live in zone 5 and pay £500 a month for a room with someone else living in the other room in this flat. My room is literally smaller than your standard prison cell.

In zones 1-3 you will pay A LOT more than 100p/w.

I see. How much travel time do you have from zone 5 to 1-2 with the tube? Do you know how much is the monthly pass for that zone range?

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Saros posted:

For what it's worth im not trying to discourage you, just inject some realism. London is an amazing city but like people said it can eat you alive if you let it.

I understand. I'll try searching for accomodation north of the river then. I do have a question thou: i know that most (if not all) flat shares list their price per person. Now, regarding the prices for flat rental (for example, renting a 2 bedroom flat) are those final? or are those also listed by person (for example, if we see a 2 bedroom flat for 1000 p/m, could we split that in 500 each, or would each of us have to pay 1000 p/m?)

Thanks in advance for all your support!! You guys are awesome :)

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Saros posted:

If you are looking for a room it will be per person. If you are renting a whole flat it will be for the entire place split however you feel like it. I would strongly reccomend not renting a whole place initially as you can end out paying enormous amounts as an initial outlay. Its common to have a bond of at least 4 weeks rent plus 4-6 weeks rent in advance plus £200+ for "agent fees" plus whatever else the landlord/agent thinks they can sting you for (credit checks etc). Everything to do with property here is totally hosed.

Unless you have an 'all inclusive' rent you will also be responsible for council taxes, water bills and gas/power/net. Probably £20 a week each would cover them most places, you can avoid council tax if you are a full time student.

Other things off the top of my head,

https://www.listentotaxman.com/ <- Check your take home after tax

Try live in the north east and bike places. Tube links arent as great but that does make it cheaper and you will have access to the 'cooler' spots. I dunno where the acting stuff is concentrated these days other than the obvious theater distrcits. I do want to emphasise again that you are very very unlikely to get anywhere at all with acting. You will likely end out working two part time jobs to make ends meet and while that can be fun for a while you'll get sick of being crushingly poor pretty fast.

Yes, i know that deposits and initial fees for flat renting are prohibitive, yet in a future i would probably evaluate the chance if we see that we are established and have to possibility.

Again, i have read several books on the acting bussines and im very aware of everything you sacrifice when you go for an acting career. I can assure you that i won't only have economical difficulties, but social ones too (the typical "sorry, i can't go, i need to rehearse/audition/take headshots/edit showreel/etc.)

I've been planning this for months, you can be sure that i've already made my desicion.

Biking would be awesome, thou it depends a lot on where we are going to stay. Most of the entertainmen biz is located in zones 1-2, so if i can go by bike through those zones, i'll do it. Now, what i do have to ask is: isn't it dangerous to bike in London's more central areas? I've heard bad things about biking in zone 1.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

dpack_1 posted:

I got put off of Brixton when seeing someone get held at gunpoint for their shopping bags im broad daylight and people just crossing the street instead of getting involved (as in calling police, not being an action hero).

I was only 16 and did not have a phone at the time.

Also, OP, you will never have the means to rent a flat. Working 2 part time jobs to make ends meet will leave you with zero chance to save. If you look at a place with 1k per month you would need to put down 1k rent in advance, 1.5k security deposit and anywhere from 200-500 in agent fees. So a round £3k just to get through the door. And most places are unfurnished with white kitchen goods only, so you would get the keys for your shiney new flat and promptly sleep on the floor with no furniture at all.

It would take you around 2-5 years to save that 3k, while working them two part time jobs, assuming you have no unexpected bills. You will indefinitely find an unexpected bill in that time. Oh and thats while saving for your acting classes too right?

Yeah, you wont stand a chance renting a flat for a very very long time.

Very well then, flat renting is out of question!

Brixton seems pretty much like most of my town :P im wondering how many of you have gone through an experience like that. If there's another good reason to move out of Buenos Aires is security (i've been assaulted at knife point & pickpocketed several times, even had to run from kidnappers once).

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

sweek0 posted:

It is a relatively safe city, and you're coming from BA so I don't think you have to worry too much.

I guess that we all become extra carefull when in the street after this kind of stuff happens to us. Still, i'll move to where i can move, im not sure i will have some or even any say in terms of where im moving when im prioritizing getting the cheapest place i can find.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Rolled Cabbage posted:

However, my partner lived on an estate in inner London before and was persecuted by his direct neighbours because he wasn't white. Turned out one of them was convicted for the murder of the previous tenants (about 10 years back) because they were Turkish, but of course even though they're banged up the killer's scrotey brothers, kids etc. all live there still. The only reason I mention this is I'm assuming the OP does not look like an EDL poster-boy and that can sometimes have implications depending on where you are.

London is a world city, and i guess there are certain social conflicts due to the cultural diversity therein. Those conflicts are almost non-existant in Argentina, and i will have to get used to them (and will of course experience a cultural clash due to what i previously mentioned).

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

The_Bends posted:

I moved to London 6 years ago. Some of the first responses here are insane. Judging by this thread nobody would survive in London. Just from my direct friends and family I know 11 people that have moved to London cold. All with very small amounts of money (I had £1800 when I moved down).

Speaking for me and my two brothers and sister I know none of us had parental help in moving down, or jobs before we started.

What's more the company that I work for employs a ton of new movers to London, some with degrees, some without. The idea that moving to London is impossible is just so far from my experience of the place. There are plenty who don't like it but I literally know nobody who came and couldn't make it stick due to not being able to find work or a home.

A two minutes search finds rooms for £450 pm in zone two right next to really good transport links and in this case an awesome park as well http://www.gumtree.com/p/single-room-flatshare/brilliantly-located-single-room-in-battersea-%C2%A3110pw-including-all-bills/1102779127

Yes when you arrive you'll be looking at a job in one of sales or service. That's where most of the entry points are. However if you have several languages there are jobs out there in the £15k to £25k range where companies will want to take advantage or that (e.g. data research).

My youngest brother works a pub job for ~£13k per year. Is he tight with his money, yes but he goes out more than I do. Again the whole idea that you'll be living in a hole with no social life scraping by for food is a complete fabrication. If you have no family to support your outgoing will be £300 for food, £120 for transport and £500 for rent & bills. If you're earning £15k you're fine.

That said if you're coming for drama/acting that's a difficult road. However there are loads of people doing the same so if you start making friends on your course or at your school you should at least have a good time trying.

On the last week i nailed some sales which will probably allow me to go there with about 4k pounds, so im way better than when i said i could get arround 2k. I do speak 2 languages and are keen on learning more (it's usually not hard for me to learn a language, thou it's a pity i had to stop studying russian and japanese when i got into college).

I really don't think squatting would be a good idea :S

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Holy poo poo

Lead out in cuffs posted:

But more realistically, just avoid the far edges of London, where significant numbers of people vote for the BNP/UKIP (and coincidentally, are more white).

That's sad... is it true that UKIP is growing everyday, and that some conservatives are defecting to it?

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I'm assuming the OP does not look like an EDL poster-boy and that can sometimes have implications depending on where you are.

Im caucasian. Argentina is kind of an exception in Latin America where the sheer ammount of european immmigration that happened throughout the last century left us with just a fraction of our native population (im from German, Czech, Armenian and British descent :P talk about nationality potpurri!). Also, the fact that we sent all our african-american citizens to die in the war against Paraguay resulted in Argentina having almost zero african-american population.

Yggdrassil fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 3, 2015

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

What kind of acting work are you going to be looking for?

TV and film, although at the begining i'll be looking mostly for startup jobs, like school projects, webseries... the things you have to look for to start rolling (which are, most of the times, unpaid)

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I've spent 8 years working in the TV industry in London and it's a bit bollocks.

Are you still working in it?

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

opus111 posted:

The last true bargain I got was living just off seven sisters road. My friends were terrified for me but again, I never ran into trouble. Just don't shuffle about like a beta and you'll be fine.

Seven Sisters Road sounds awesome for a horror story :P

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

glitchkrieg posted:

I've got a mate who's been trying to get an acting career in London for the past decade. He's been in broadcast ads and one of the largest campaigns in Germany last year. He's just moved to Manchester because he wasn't getting anywhere in London.

Tough luck man. Im sorry for your friend. However, this thread will be updated (and is being updated) by those that genuinely want to help me.
I will update it in the future thou, so i can thank all of those who wrote some lines here that made the trip easier, safer and more enjoyable.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Kaiho posted:

How is your English, OP? And by that I mean your convincing command of RP and other accents. I lived with a (trained, educated) actor who was northern and she kept practicing RP like mad because the hint of accent twang kept getting her screwed over for roles.

She is now living oop norf, fwiw.

What I'm saying is the industry seems racist as hell, so you have to either be completely transparently English (with the skills to accent switch) or eke it out with racist bit parts.

But hey, I'm pro south London (and have been). Transport links are great and though Brixton is a bit up its own arse these days, there's plenty places around it.

What area of London do Argentineans tend to live in?

Im not sure where Argentineans live if they actually do live in a certain area. Regarding english and accents, i've met lots of people from Europe / North America and they all asked me if i was really Argentinean, due to the fact that i don't have an Argentinean accent. I'll see if i can upload something to soundcloud later, so you can judge for yourself.

Flint_Paper posted:

Just dropping in as an actor living in London. I work a full time job because that's what being an actor is - sitting in an office and auditioning occasionally for a Chicken McNugget commercial. Best of luck to you, but god drat my advice is "Do not do this thing".

glitchkrieg posted:

It's a shame you're not listening to any of them then.

Im actually separating the genuine advice from the constant useless trashing that many of you seem so keen on posting. Which is a pity, since while you are doing that, you guys have no loving idea of the place where i come from, my reasons to do this, and what i had to do to be able to do this. I would like this to be the last time i address you about the derailing of the main topic towards your 'lamentations of how hard life is in London'. You can actually warn me and give me advice so i have a better chance, or you can just throw poo poo at me with no result whatsoever.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

dpack_1 posted:

I've been a mix of "don't come here, London is shite" and "if you're hell bent on doing it then at least consider these things" in this thread.

But this. This has me in hysterics.

None of us really care where you come from, no we don't have an idea of what you've gone through, but you have no loving clue what it's like living in London and we actually do, what with living here. So that's a mighty big hypocritical statement you just made.

Those telling you this place is awful are actually giving you good advice as well as those saying you 'could' make it. But you need to understand you've got a very low chance of actually doing anything here other than minimum wage jobs in a lovely flat share with no common rooms and if your idea of a good night is to have friends over and play board games then you'll either be doing that on your own bed or not at all. You will go crazy without being able to socialise in that way, and that's why the majority of us all go out to a sam smiths pub and get drunk. We drink the pain away.

I understood, before getting into this thread, that i might spend the next decades living in a lovely apartment working a lovely job. I did my homework regarding the things you sacrifice by pursuing this career. And i told you guys that. So from that moment on, i know there's info in this thread that is very useful (like the cheap market list, the info regarding the different zones, the rent pricing, etc) and info that, not only im already aware of, but has been posted here in a very rude way.

Im sorry if i started spewing poo poo about where i come from; what i say about you is also true about me. I don't know your history, and im sure that many of you are also talking from your own experience when expressing your anger on how London broke you. I apologise for that, and will try to look at it from a different way in the next posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

Lady Gaza posted:

What's your specific plan? Find somewhere to live before you arrive, or go to a hostel first then look around for flatshares? Finding work will be easier if you have an address.

Regarding location, you'll likely be looking for jobs in Zone 1; most places are easy enough to get to but bear in mind that since you don't know exactly where you'll be working your potential commute could vary quite a bit depending on which train/tube line your flat is near.

I suppose if you find a job you won't have the urgency to get an acting gig. I think a lot of the more negative replies here are predicated on you not finding any work or a place to live and just wasting all your money.

We have the following 3 months until june to continue to do what we are currently doing: sending emails to shared flat owners so we can get the chance of booking one in advance. If we don't achieve that, we will go to a hostel and look around for flatshares, as you said. 3 weeks before setting off, we'll be calling JobCentre Plus to arrange an interview regarding our NI. We will also send an email to 1stContact (it's a kickstart service that has good reviews in regard to setting up a very basic bank account).

Getting a job is a top priority, and i won't be focusing in getting anything done regarding acting until we find a job. Once we are stablished and with all things in order, i'll start by grabbing some work as an extra and in school productions. After that, i'll register in Spotlight (which is the standard auditions, agents, and acting jobs listing in the UK). The rest is too far off to be worth writing down :P

• Locked thread