Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

How is your English, OP? And by that I mean your convincing command of RP and other accents. I lived with a (trained, educated) actor who was northern and she kept practicing RP like mad because the hint of accent twang kept getting her screwed over for roles.

She is now living oop norf, fwiw.

What I'm saying is the industry seems racist as hell, so you have to either be completely transparently English (with the skills to accent switch) or eke it out with racist bit parts.

But hey, I'm pro south London (and have been). Transport links are great and though Brixton is a bit up its own arse these days, there's plenty places around it.

What area of London do Argentineans tend to live in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

So THAT'S how Sam Smith's pubs get clueless Aussie staff. It all makes sense.

"Brits love Aussie staff and our pub managers are super keen to employ you."
Err.

Also, "no experience? no problem!" is exactly the reason why you get bullshit service in so many pubs these days. "Oh I'll just pull some pints on the weekends here's my CV". That attitude makes me cringe.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

I'm English and have done a lot of bar work in London pubs, and so have a lot of Australian friends in the industry. There's no weird UKIP correlation between coming from down under and being 'clueless'. No experience really is no problem because literally anybody can learn how to do bar work so long as you have basic social skills. If you had a bad experience at a London pub it was probably because 1) the pub was understaffed for the amount of people coming in - busy shifts are really hard to predict and it happens sometimes - 2) the bar staff were either hungover, on a comedown, or in a bad mood. All those are acceptable because it's exhausting, thankless work, nobody tips in the UK and the wages are poo poo, and the person who served you had probably been working double shifts for the past few days. So it's fine for people to be a bit sloppy at the job. It's basically pulling levers for 10+ hours a day for poo poo pay.
I'm not sure what constitutes 'bullshit service', really. You get your drinks, and that's it really. It's not a profession like it is in the states, it's pretty casual labour. "Oh I'll just pull some pints on the weekends here's my CV" is exactly the right attitude to have.
Also, Sam Smiths pubs are the best! Cheap booze, in London!

edit: actually come to think of it the Aussie staff were always a LOT more chipper and motivated than British staff, because it was always a huge novelty for them to be working in a Real English Pub, and it felt worthwhile to them because it was in the context of living abroad on one big working holiday. Us brits on the other hand never really gave a poo poo.

I'm not English and work in the industry. There's a hell of a lot more to good service than just pulling pints. Beer knowledge is just the first step. The right attitude is the second, but just as important. Don't come to me with "it's okay to be arsey and on a comedown because wah wah". You're doing a job, and taking pride in your work ethic should be part of it. When I was doing bar work, I was doing 6-7 day weeks, easily 12 hours a day. All of us were, and we still provided ace service, all the time. The best pubs and bars you go to will have this. And it's funny you say nobody tips. Yes they do, for good service ;). Plus others working in the industry do, because they know what goes into doing the job right.
edit:
VVVVVVVVV

Squalitude posted:

That's less than 3%, I need a much higher alcohol-to-piss ratio.

When they had to change the recipe on the man in the box because they'd ripped it off someone else was the straw that broke the camel's back for Sam Smith's. Or then it was the price rises that sees them being basically the same price as other London pubs, completely defeating the point of drinking their dreck.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 7, 2015

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

But human beings occasionally get into poo poo moods, mess up orders, or whatever. It's fine, and I don't think I've ever bedgrudged a barman for getting an order wrong/being clearly overwhelmed with customer numbers on an understaffed day/being new and not knowing what they're doing. You can do the job well without taking it too seriously. Don't be that customer. At the end of the day, if you're in the pub then the person serving you is at work, and you are not. Give them a break.

When have I said that I'm "that customer"? If a barman gets the order wrong, that's one thing. If the barman doesn't give a poo poo, that's another. And I had that very experience this past week in a goddamn pub when the guy behind the bar stammered out that the difference in beers is that they go from left to right in increasing order of strength. :waycool:

I absolutely give a break to bar staff, after all it's the community in which I work. However, I have no time for holier-than-thou not-even-speaking-to-you nods of the head (encountered in a well-respected pub chain this week), bad service order management, "oh it's all on the menu" type responses when asking about beers/food/whatever. There is so much poo poo service out there that's allowed to continue unchecked. Yes, that person is at work, and you can cut them slack, but they are at work in a city that's suffering from a surfeit of labor and should be thankful they have that job. City cunts throwing their weight around in bars excepted

Mystery shoppers are some of the best things to have happened to the industry, and more places should do them like they do at Pret - one in every store, every day.

Anyway, I'll stop this derail of the thread where we really should be encouraging the OP to have marketable skills that he can use to leverage working in whatever field he wishes to be in before he makes the big time in acting.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 7, 2015

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Also yeah, getting jobs here frequently involves networking like wossname with his party. I just offered someone an interview because we were drinking in the same pub.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

You'll still pay tax if you get a job. Nobody actually survives on minimum wage in London.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

What's with the upside down question marks?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Saros posted:

^^Spainish/Portuguese thing.

Oh I know what it is, just that it looks really out of place in English and that is a thing that the OP should probably be aware of.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Sorry to hijack the ops post but theres a decent chance I will also be moving to London in the next few weeks. Given we have a nice collection of london goons here what are some good things to do/see once you get bored of the super obvious tourist traps and big national museums?

The bottom of your pint glass.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Wait, OP is in this country now isn't he?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Pie n mash shop opening hours tend to be pretty crummy though. I had a decent pie and parsley sauce at the Birdcage when they first opened, and they do more people-working-poo poo-jobs friendly hours.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

There are a few decent holdouts in Soho. Garlic and Shots is fun. He says belching out garlicky indigestion fumes

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Camden? Why would a tourist area be cheaper?

That said absolutely true, markets are the way to go for shopping for groceries. If you can get there early enough in the day.

(Does anyone else get weirded out about buying e.g. salad on the roadside?)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yggdrassil posted:

Any suggestions then? I said Camden because that's the one I know by name :P

Camden market isn't a food market. It's a market selling cheap plastic crap to people who think Kurt Cobain is cool.

Look up food markets near you. I mean, I'm lucky to have easy access to Brixton market and to Peckham. But then again I also have a job that lets me get there on weekdays to avoid bullshit crowds.

Started drinking yet?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

On market chat - any good ones round Lambeth or Vauxhall? Only seems to be vast quantities of corner shops.

Brrrrixtaaaannnn

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

toiletbrush posted:

I buy fish from the fishmongers opposite Franco Mancas on Market Row but I'm poo poo with money, are the stalls around there/the Village/Electric Avenue/Farmers Market etc decent value? Camden's a total tourist trap but I dunno of Brixton's that far off either.

I bought pork and beef mince from the butcher's in the arcade that's staffed for ladies for a massive chili I made. Think I paid £4 for two giant bags. I also buy my tomatoes and avocados from within that bit. Always ripe, always cheap.

If it's cheaper and better quality than the supermarkets, I'm all for it.

That said, I tend to buy my steaks from McCanna's in Holborn because I work near there.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

6 months is more in the serviced apartment territory imo.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yggdrassil posted:

Nope. Not drinking. And I'm working at a pub :-P

Dude, how can you work at a pub and not know what the beers etc taste like?

oh it's one of THOSE pubs isn't it

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Oh man, that's... dedication and work ethic, that.

(The first question we ask is what your favorite beer is)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I mean it's cool and all that you've gotten a job in a pub not drinking, but I think it says more about the pub willing to hire you to tend bar rather than you.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

It totes gives rail routes as well.

If you're in London. The clue is in the postcode. Croydon doesn't have London postcodes.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yggdrassil posted:

I'm really trying to narrow down my options to get a place where i don't have to spend money on commuting to my job. I think i prefer to pay 530 ppm and not having to pay to commute than paying 400 ppm. In my first month i've seen that transportation expenditures really add up, so I'd really like to cut out those 4 or 5 pounds a day of transportation fees.

You'll still have to cough up for transport to your auditions though

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Poplar is still all menial squats though.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

glitchkrieg posted:

finishing up a Blood Bowl tournament (next one starts in December)

Argh do not tempt me.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

glitchkrieg posted:

Dooo it. Or come down for a friendly against my Orcs (and soon, Dark Elves) at least.

I don't have any minis here. So luckily, won't have to.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

glitchkrieg posted:

Bah, you're no fun Kai.

I'll play Fumbbl with you.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Some University libraries give you access to study, e.g. https://www.lse.ac.uk/library.

You can also join the British Library.

(I am out of academia now so it doesn't apply to me but be prepared to fight for seats)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Laverna posted:

To the people saying that quality of life in London sucks what would you consider the cities worth living in just for the experience? My main reasons for picking London are English-speaking country, pies, and I have some friends there. So it's not like it's set in stone yet.

Bristol.

You never answered whether you're allowed to work/stay in the EU, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

That's only because you don't make the pub any margin because you're not drinking the booze.

• Locked thread