Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
high six
Feb 6, 2010
I think a lot of it needlessly complicates things where it doesn't need to be used and causes a lot of unneeded issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high six
Feb 6, 2010

MagnumOpus posted:

This could be said about any poorly-considered operational expenditure or architectural decision. If your computing needs are mostly big ERP applications with a ton of vendor-supported data sources cloud is probably not in your future. However there are use cases where some cloud concepts are the right solutions architecture: a SaaS company with unpredictable usage patterns, scientific orgs that can make use of on-demand Hadoop clusters, etc.

Some of the enterprises sprinting to the cloud are certainly doing so prematurely and for the wrong reasons. Many more severely underestimate the development effort and, I think more importantly, development philosophy shifts that are required to make cloud actually work for you. But for a great many common scenarios some form of cloud architecture is absolutely worth at least doing a proof of.

Oh, I am sure it is.

As a background thing, I got my first IT job about six months ago at a MSP that provides cloud services and whatnot in addition to the normal tech support/engineering sorta thing. We mainly work with healthcare companies, and a great many of these have very complicated setups for what I think could be done much simpler. Maybe I'm just missing something because of my experience, but it does make my job a whole lot harder than it has to be, I think.

• Locked thread