Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone try Joyent Smart Datacenter? It looks really nice and pretty easy to setup compared to Open Stack.

Too bad I don't have some spare machines :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

adorai posted:

I have played around with smartos. It works well, but is not exactly user friendly.

I just found this: http://blog.smartcore.net.au/smartos-gui-project-fifo-0-6-0-demo/

Looks really slick.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

adorai posted:

i am mostly interested in how you convinced the other techs that it was a good move. I am considering a split move to aws and azure, and while I can effectively make it happen, i want to know how to not make my infrastructure guys (who will still have jobs) hate me.

What are the benefits for the move? And do they weigh up? I mean, every TCO study I've seen concludes that you pay more for the cloud in the long run. Meanwhile hardware is getting cheaper and cheaper and you need less and less of it because it does get faster.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

ahahahaha look at this guy

?

Vulture Culture posted:

Running your own physical hardware is like running your own electrical grid -- there are certain kinds of businesses it makes sense for, but you'd better be prepared to rationalize it nowadays.

This is also why every decent service provider (AWS, Azure, GCE) continuously gets cheaper and adds newer, faster hardware types.

Sorry we haven't all jumped on the cloud bandwagon, maybe it is different in the states.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm laughing because you're talking about "the TCO" like it's remotely the same for any two companies. Everyone has vastly different methods of operating their IT services -- some people have 10,000 square feet of datacenter space that they've already paid for, and some companies have a wiring closet with a Netgear switch in it. Some companies run strategic IT in tandem with the front-end line-of-business, and others operate it as a cost center to try to squeeze out better efficiency than cloud at the cost of business agility and service focus. Any study that tells you what "the TCO" is for cloud -- in either direction -- is pulling a fast one on you. You need to calculate this for yourself.

Now that wasn't so hard now was it. ;)

Seeing Adorai's postings in the past I assumed we are not talking about a closet with a single switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

MagnumOpus posted:

I'm 100% anecdotally sure many of the problems we're running into are due to intermittent network failures, but since we're using an Openstack IaaS provider I don't have access to logs at that level. I've got TCP failures and retransmits in my metrics pipeline, but I'm looking for something more compelling. What would be perfect is a small agent app that can constantly monitor links and track failures explicitly, because what I expect is that we're getting frequent jitters rather than hard link failures. Basically I just want to be able to prove if this IaaS is too brittle for production. Ideas?

Something like PRTG? If you have a Windows host you can install it there and the free version will monitor 100 sensors over SNMP, ping or whatever. It will show almost everything concerning latency, bandwidth, bandwidth usage etc. It is also pretty great for home use.

• Locked thread