Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryaath
Apr 8, 2003

Newish to openstack (we're using Mirantis fuel to get it off the ground). I have about a million questions, but lets start with:

Mainly, what are some fun/valuable things to do with yer cloud once you've got it?

Image baking is going to lead to some real poo poo in my company... how do you you do it well (hook it to app ci, etc...)? Most our development is lovely java webapps.

Not accessing each and every vm directly is a shift for us.... Log aggregating I get, but do people just not monitor the underlying vms of their services? Or do I just accept that I'm going to attach a floating ip to each vm?

We're missing some key services... dnsaas mostly, but the lbaas also isn't 'production-ready' (the haproxy objects only run on 1 controller and don't fail over)... do I just cry til these get added in what I assume will be 3 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaath
Apr 8, 2003

Thanks for the reply VC.

We're using packer already with the puppet configuration mgmt we already had. Creating the images is no problem. Managing the life cycle or the build hierarchy is where we're struggling.

I'll look into sensu and that lbaas article you linked. I found Graylog offers a vm appliance image, so I just shoved that into glance and I'll let our app teams (hopefully) figure out the application logging from there...

Ryaath
Apr 8, 2003

Anyone have any experience deploying and managing an open source Cloud Foundry? Any pitfalls I should avoid? Ours is up and running on Openstack with minimal effort. We even built a concourse thingy for CI/CD so updates seem to be non events... I'm impressed so far with zero apps/users...

• Locked thread