Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks for this thread, I will be watching it intently. My employer is about to rack a bunch of servers in a DC to run hosted services on top of vSphere and I can't help but think they're a decade out of date with how they should be approaching this sort of problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I understand the pet vs cattle distinction, but presumably you need a system to deploy the cattle and manage the configuration templates centrally as well as keeping track of how healthy your cattle are. Are those systems considered pets or are we now seeing projects emerging that amount to cattle managing cattle?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bear in mind that your AWS costs aren't just hardware and include staff wages, power and cooling costs, datacenter construction etc.

You can't compare the costs of putting your infrastructure in AWS to just the hardware cost of buying servers without including a load of other costs in your on-premise calculations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AWS can offer dedicated hosts now (well, soon):

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/dedicated-hosts/

I think there was a guy here running a VoIP application and pretty much resigned to running on dedicated hardware. This might be interesting.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Last week I spent a couple of hours explaining AWS to someone developing web apps, I explained what part EC2, S3, RDS, VPC, Elastic Beanstalk etc. played in the overall solution, showed them some documentation as it related to Wordpress in terms of where to store static content. A pretty good overview I thought.

Today I'm getting emails telling me that Bitnami LAMP stacks are ready to use :eng99:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Related to the above, I'm struggling with IAM.

Is it possible to give access to a developer to let them create new users but restrict those new users to certain permission levels? I don't want them creating new user account with full admin privileges or granting their own account full access. At the moment they have a policy applied which prevents access to IAM, billing, and some sensitive DNS zones.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That sounds ideal, I will look into it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So I have this so far:

code:
{
    "Version": "2012-10-17",
    "Statement": [
        {
            "Effect": "Allow",
            "NotAction": [
                "aws-portal:*modify*",
                "iam:CreatePolicy*"
            ],
            "Resource": "*"
        },
        {
            "Effect": "Deny",
            "Action": [
                "cloudtrail:DeleteTrail",
                "cloudtrail:StopLogging",
                "cloudtrail:UpdateTrail"
            ],
            "Resource": "*"
        },
        {
                "s3:*"
            ],
            "Resource": [
                "arn:aws:s3:::<redacted>"
            ]
        },
        {
                "iam:*policy*"
            ],
                "arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/AdministratorAccess",
                "arn:aws:iam::<redacted>:policy/PowerUserAccess*",
                "arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/IAMFullAccess"
            ]
        },
        {
                "iam:*"
            ],
                "arn:aws:iam::<redacted>:group/Administrators",
                "arn:aws:iam::<redacted>:user/<redacted>",
                "arn:aws:iam::<redacted>:user/<redacted>"
            ]
        }
    ]
}
Which as far as I can tell is working - users it applies to shouldn't be able to apply pre-existing policies that grant them more access than they have at the moment, they can't create a new policy that grants them that access, and they can't edit the Administrators group to add themselves to it.

I'd like to neaten up the two users at the end though - they are members of the administrators group and the IAM Policy Simulator showed that ChangePassword was still allowed. Is there a way to evaluate group membership in the policy?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 14, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use Route 53 for your DNS and use an alias entry?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there an HTTP header you can send to get Chrome to gently caress off with the caching? Phone posting but this seems to be a Chrome thing and not necessarily something that can be resolved in your DNS setup.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's the Microsoft Excel of the virtualization stacks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Either run the VPN back to your office and terminate client VPN there, or deploy one of the SSL VPN virtual appliances into your VPC.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hardware token and a webcam :getin:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's great because it implies that a medical devices company doesn't have any sort of support contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it in "Backup vaults (classic)"?

https://portal.azure.com/#blade/HubsExtension/Resources/resourceType/Microsoft.Backup%2FbackupVault

• Locked thread