Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013
Diary of Helios:

The rats were nice enough all things considered. I have always been fond of their work, although i could never afford their lovely pocket watches. I was surprised we took one aboard though. Not that I am against rats, and this one was particularly polite. He even seemed interested in hearing about the Sun!! He had never seen it, and was shocked to find the Sun was brighter than his Rat Star. I help him with whatever he needs doing, as he is polite company.

Better than Jones in any case. He says it was meant as a joke, but his idea that I should taken the Rat Star as my tattoo was too smug for my tastes. I have no idea why its so offensive, after all there are worse tattoos in the zee. I even saw one of an overgoat once, but i digress. Doc was in low spirits when we got to Station 3, apparently the incident with jillyfleur bothered him. He even partook of some of laudanum, which was surprising. I needed a good swig of it myself when I saw station 3, that miserable place. The air smelled wrong, and I felt nauseous as they dragged the coffin out of the ship.The captain seemed happy though!

So am i come to think of it. After all, that miserable coffin is gone and we are leaving Station 3! I would celebrate but I have to nurse the rat. He wanted to try laudanum too and it didn't seemed to sit well with him. I have to get some more when we return to London. At the rate we are going, the whole crew is going to drink a tankard of the stuff just to make it through the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Captain, can I throw Sunny overboard? Pretty please?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So do any of these vignettes like the autopsy with the metal sphere ever really get explained or elaborated upon or is the general trend "a weird thing happened, oh well onto the next weird thing"? I admit I've poked around Fallen London a couple of times but each time been turned off by both the very obvious grinding and the fact that a lot of the atmosphere seems to boil down to throwing as much weird poo poo at the wall to see what sticks without ever really going into much detail on any of it. I mean, I can appreciate having weird, unexplained details in fiction, but this, uh, universe I guess seems to be like 90% weird, unexplained details.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yes, they do. Quite comprehensively. You just need to keep chipping away at them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Legitimately, that's good to hear then. I don't think I'm ever going to really get into Fallen London but I've been reading along with this thread, and so maybe now I'll actually understand some of this stuff (eventually).

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Was torn between getting this or Darkest Dungeon a while back. Glad to see this is getting an LP. I may have to offer myself up as Crew in the event something... unfortunate happens.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The metal sphere's a bad example because literally all you have to do is hang around Station III until Something Awaits You and then just bumble in and do stuff. Rinse, repeat.

You're kinda intended to be drip-fed this stuff, though - the assumption is that you'll sail off somewhere once you're finished with a port, and maybe your route will take you past Station III again so you drop in, continue the story, sail off...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
For what it's worth, those of you who were talking about brokering peace? Yeah that is impossible on Pigmote. If you try, both sides basically go "Oh yes quite so I'm delighted someone so enlightened could come by and help us work out all of our blood-soaked differences :jerkbag:"

And then you gain 1x Terror for thinking this is a Bioware game.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

my dad posted:

Captain, can I throw Sunny overboard? Pretty please?

No throwing people overboard unless they've done something to deserve it! Or are already dead. Or are secretly a Snuffer.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

The metal sphere's a bad example because literally all you have to do is hang around Station III until Something Awaits You and then just bumble in and do stuff. Rinse, repeat.

You're kinda intended to be drip-fed this stuff, though - the assumption is that you'll sail off somewhere once you're finished with a port, and maybe your route will take you past Station III again so you drop in, continue the story, sail off...

That's not entirely true - you also need to deliver more Longboxes, and get a certain officer to get the WHOLE story.

But yes, many ports are designed to feed their stories over multiple visits, or only when you're on certain quests. Which is good, because we'll be visiting these ports many times. You will notice the red dotted lines of our voyages getting longer as this LP continues.

Coolguye posted:

For what it's worth, those of you who were talking about brokering peace? Yeah that is impossible on Pigmote. If you try, both sides basically go "Oh yes quite so I'm delighted someone so enlightened could come by and help us work out all of our blood-soaked differences :jerkbag:"

And then you gain 1x Terror for thinking this is a Bioware game.

We DID take the 'Paragon' path, for what its worth. Although, if this was a Bioware game, the Cavy would have been clearly wearing rat-pelts at at some point called the rats 'chattel'.

Their rewards are superior, though.

Anyway! Gameplay is done for the next post, I'm working on writing the journal. Should be up in a few hours.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
The fact that the cavies were militaristic monarchists and the rats were anarcho-syndicalist refugees was pretty much a tip-off as to which were the bad guys anyway. :v:

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Journal entry 5 – The Mourn and Mutton

The Journal of Captain Petra Blackwood

December 15th, 1887

We left Station III in the late afternoon, as our chronometer reckoned. As we left the station, a steam-pinnace bore down on us. Perhaps a confederate of the last one we sunk? If I'd ran, I could have outpaced him, but he likely could have fired several times from behind us. Instead, I charged him; we exchanged one volley, and then I fell into pursuit and he sank without further difficulty.

We then continued west; we could see the pillars of Corsair's Forest looming in the darkness. Our goal was within.

December 16th, 1887

Slightly before midnight, we crossed into the Corsair's Forest. I ordered double watches. A fleet of pirates are known to operate between these enormous stone pillars, and I would not have us caught off-guard.

My precautions turned out to be for nothing, however – we made it all the way to Gaider's Mourn without seeing a single other deck lamp. My father used to tell me stories of this place – that it was rough-and-tumble and not a place for proper British men and women. My crew, however, seemed eager to spend some time ashore. Perhaps we are not as proper as we would like to be.

My first order of business was to track down my contact – he demanded a small sum of Echos as hazard pay. Hazard pay! Where does he think he is, the Khanate? The Admiralty's spies are not what I thought they would be.

While the Mourn is not the kind of place that normally interests me, I admit reluctance to simply depart. Partly because I think my crew would like a little more time ashore, and partly because standing in this place my father so vehemently wished I would never be gave me a small thrill. I decided to explore the spire a little before we left.

It was not a terrible time. I had to step quickly to avoid one or two pedestrian brawls, and I purchased lunch from a street vendor.

Petra has a lower-than-20% chance of passing the other options. She's not going to be too wild, today. The second option is locked behind a trait called 'Unaccountably peckish'. However would we get that?

I then went to check on the remainder of my crew. They had been drinking at an establishment called the Arrant Limpet. However, most of them were already departing by the time I arrived. Galaxia informed me they didn't 'Care for their type'. I noticed Jones had bruised knuckles on our way back to the Correspondence. It might be wise for us to be departing, now.

We could try for a port report, but doing so requires a Veils check. Petra is no good at those, so we'll pass for now.

December 17th -

The crew did not complain when I maintained double watches on our way out of the Forest; I think they were on edge after the encounter at the Limpet. This time, it proved prudent; as we left the Mourn, we spotted a Steam-pinnacre coming around one of the pillars. I had our deck light extinguished – we snuck up on it in darkness and then proceeded to destroy them before they could turn about on us.

We had barely disengaged from the Pinnace when we encountered a frigate, having some sort of navigation issues. I considered showing mercy, but then considered what they would have done to our ship, in the same situation, and took appropriate action.

The AI is sometimes really bad. That said, the Corsair's Forest can be tricky. The enemies spawn close enough that you can agrro 2-3 of them at once if you're not careful, but the frigates that spawn here do wonders for flagging stores.

We encountered no other difficulties leaving the Forest. I think keeping the crew away from the wine and honey we took from the pirates will be a greater challenge than the pirates themselves, so I've told everyone that any that is missing without my personal approval shall be deducted from the collective wages of the crew. I will approve Snark's use of a little honey, if he approaches me. The man has not been well since he saw the Jellyfleur. Perhaps the face reminded him of someone?

Hmm. I should ask him about that.

December 18th -
We arrived in the sovereign waters of London today. We paid a small stop outside of London to visit Mutton Island.

Also visiting Mutton Island was a large (but not extremely large) crab. It did not bother us as we put into port.

I kept our visit short. I, at least, was eager to return to London. I questioned the fisherman about enough information that the Admiralty would be interested, and then set my zailors back to work. They were displeased, but the news that we would be in London by early tomorrow appeased them.

You might be wondering about why I didn't do the other options at Mutton Island. Well, that's because of a little mechanic called 'Something awaits you at port'.

The 'Something awaits you at port!' mechanic is designed so you can't sail around in tiny little circles at certain ports and just generate almost unlimited supplies. Many options at ports require you to have, and consumes, the 'Something awaits you' quality. Its represented by a little house shrouded in green fog – clearly seen on the 'Explore the shore' option on Mutton Island.

When you use it up, it will return after you have sailed for a while. The length of time it takes to return is variable; sometimes, it seems to happen almost instantly. Other times, it seems like you can go halfway across the Neath without it coming back. Whenever it returns, it comes with the sound of a bell and a snippit of text – and the appearance of a streetlight at the edge of your log. You can clearly see it happen in the first two screenshots of December 16th.

Since I can't guarantee it'll come back between here and London, and I really want it at London, I'm conserving it. Knowing where best to use your 'Something awaits you at port!' is a major part of surviving the on the Zee.

As we put back to see, I ordered us to leave with our light off. We followed the edge of Mutton Island and by the time the crab knew we were there, we were too far away to stop.

December 19th -

London theme music.

We arrived in London shortly after midnight. Not a single zailor had slept tonight; every eye was on the glittering gas-lamps as we approached. We put in at port, and the disembarking process started. We had a visit from the Customs men, but we had nothing of interest to them.

I then checked in with the harbormaster, who told me several messages had been left for me while I was away. News that a captain was voyaging far into the Unterzee had spread, and several individuals wanted to join me.

This is why I wanted 'Something awaits' in London. When you return to London with it, you get a chance to recruit an officer.

When I returned to check on my crew's progress at the ship, I discovered my bo'sun staring disapprovingly at a one-eyed man standing besides a pallet filled with coal and supplies.

He offered a gift that sounded an awful lot like a business proposal; I told him I'd think about it. He said he'd return another day. Grandalt said the man looked like trouble, and I agree, but so does Jones and I hired him. I'll have plenty of time to consider his proposal at zee.

The Blind Bruiser will only make this offer if you're below a certain threshold of supplies and coal; since I get above said threshold before I leave port, the offer is retracted, but will be offered again next time we're in London with an empty hold.

With unloading completed and their pay distributed, I released my crew into Wolfstack docks to enjoy some merriment before we departed again. I, however, had more business to do. Heavy is the head that wears whatever that kind of hat it is that captains always wear. I first visited the Admiralty office; I had much for me.

I'm only going to post these when they're noteworthy; most of them look an awful lot like that. You get 1 fuel, and between 5 and 40 echos, depending on how distant or interesting the port is. You can gather them more than once, but only get the Admiralty's Favor the first time you turn in any given port.

This report gives 100 echos, but can only be submitted once.

Eventually, I completed giving my reports, and told them I had picked up the information from the contact in the Mourn. It appears the clerk was not important enough to give that too, and instead ushered me upstairs to speak to the Admiral. I delivered my report, and then conversed with him about how I could further help London.

He told me he needed someone to visit Mt. Palmerston, home of the exiles from Hell. I told him it'd be my pleasure. He seemed unconvinced.

I then visited the Wolfstack markets, to sell the wine and honey we'd collected.

In case you're curious, here's all the things we can sell in London, and for how much. I'll go over what we can buy when we're a bit more affluent.

Finally, I set about finding the person who'd requested a space on my ship – I found her by the docks. She seemed to be in a hurry.

I have no doubt she'll be very useful.

Normally, I'd have us vote on which Officer to take. But we're eventually going to get all of them, and Maybe's Daughter is possibly the single best first officer to get, so we'll be taking her. The third option there, by the way, is 'Get 1 zailor for 1 echo', only useful if you can't afford or already have all other officers.

However! There is still a vote to be had. Should we accept the Blind Bruiser's offer?

Black Wombat fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 27, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Can anyone vote, or just the active crew?

Assuming we can all vote, I feel we should steer clear for now. Let's try to learn a little bit about the guy trying to get his hand in our pocket our would-be benefactor before we accept any handouts. We're not really hurting for the supplies at the moment, right?

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

RickVoid posted:

Can anyone vote, or just the active crew?

Assuming we can all vote, I feel we should steer clear for now. Let's try to learn a little bit about the guy trying to get his hand in our pocket our would-be benefactor before we accept any handouts. We're not really hurting for the supplies at the moment, right?

Anyone, of course.

Sadly, we can't learn anything more than I've shown here. We have to choose if we want to accept loot from a shady patron with this information alone. That said, if we say no, I think it means no forever. We could just keep him hanging until we need him, of course, if we hit a hard row.

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013
Journal of Sagacious and Sinister Gentleman:

Helios returned from his voyage today. He was quite happy to see me once he had gotten away from the crew, albeit exhausted. He wept in arms for a while but that is to be expected. He was never meant to be this far from me, at least so soon. The tattoo did not go over well, as I knew it would, but Academics are known for intelligence, not wisdom. He talked to me about the trip, mentioning Gaider's Mourn, and I pretended to be interested. Poor thing was so excited I hadn't the heart to ignore him

I was worried about the reserve of laudanum i gave him being less than expected, but he explained he had given some to his friends. friends. That's a dangerous word if i ever heard one. it is probably a delusion anyway, so I will let it pass. He still seems loyal, to me anyway. It almost pains me to do this to him, to give That to him, but its necessary. If IT can be given than surely IT can be taken away. I will take IT from Helios soon, so I will let him enjoy the zee for a little longer. To continue my experiment, I told him there was a way back to the surface, to see how he would react. He wept for a good hour before he calmed down, and I let him sleep in front of the fire. Lies of course, but I needed to see. IT is such a cruel thing, perhaps the Masters had the right idea.

He went back in the morning, before he left he told me of the Blind Bruiser, and asked what he should do. I suggested that the captain and crew should postpone the deal until they really need it

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Journal of Grandalt Nodingtion

We have finally returned to London. A shame that troubles are still even that city, but such is the nature of man. And the nature of that one-eyed man is nothing good, I would wager some of my precious tea on that. If we have to deal with him, do it later, when we have more men. On a better note, we have a first mate on the ship now, so the duties that I had are going to be shifted to their proper amounts instead of me handling the duties not handled by the doctor and the captain. A lovely lady, who knows a far amount of what needs to be done on the ship.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Black Wombat posted:

However! There is still a vote to be had. Should we accept the Blind Bruiser's offer?

In the interests of seeing all the game has to offer, we should. Unless you intend to give this ship a somewhat ignoble end in the near future so the next guy/gal in the captain's chair can take it up.

I like that they added fuel for port reports, that really alleviates some of the supply crunch. Also why is Maybe's Daughter the best first officer in your opinion? More engine power is okay, but I alway found fuel to be a big limitation for the starter ship and I hate burning more of it to go the same distance.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Black Wombat posted:

Sadly, we can't learn anything more than I've shown here. We have to choose if we want to accept loot from a shady patron with this information alone. That said, if we say no, I think it means no forever. We could just keep him hanging until we need him, of course, if we hit a hard row.

Then put off taking the deal until or unless we actually have a need for the supplies.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Keep the handout for when we need it!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Zeems legitimate, let's take his kind donation.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

RickVoid posted:

Then put off taking the deal until or unless we actually have a need for the supplies.

This seems like the safest option

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

akulanization posted:

I like that they added fuel for port reports, that really alleviates some of the supply crunch. Also why is Maybe's Daughter the best first officer in your opinion? More engine power is okay, but I alway found fuel to be a big limitation for the starter ship and I hate burning more of it to go the same distance.

Yeah, the fuel thing is required. I feel like a lot of people who complain this game is too hard might be ignoring port reports? You should never sail straight anywhere, in Sunless Sea; you should go port-to-port the whole way, and you'll regain like 75% of the coal you use at the end, most of the time. On long trips, it can earn a few hundred echos, too. If you avoid taking damage, port reports alone should make most trips profit-neutral.

Maybe's Daughter is good because, first, she gives Veils, which is probably the most important stat when you have a weak ship and slipping by enemies unnoticed is very important. Second, her quest line (which we will be starting next session) gives small payouts repeatedly, rather than one large one at the end, making it helpful for jump-starting your ship upgrades.

The other possible most-valuable officers are also engineers, interestingly. Maybe I'm biased, but one of them offers a good way to make echos, and the other offers a really good engine upgrade for their quests.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It's also worth noting that Veils comes up in storylets more often than any other stat by a wide margin, and your officer bonuses count toward the check. Engineers, therefore, are most useful just by buffing the thing you need the most of.

To be fair, though, there are simply MORE engineers than any other officer type aside from Mascots, which don't really count since their bonuses are generally so small. There are 3 Engineers that are fully implemented (e.g., not one of those weak as hell starter officers that give +1 whatever). There are 2 cooks, but one is kind of half-hearted and he's not really worth the trouble he takes to get him aboard. There's 2 Navigators, but one of them asks to retire at the end of his story, so after investing a lot of resources into the dickhead you often end up losing him. There's a way to keep him aboard but you really gently caress him over in the process. Gunnery Officers, there's only 2 again, and once more one of them has a colossally annoying story that frequently ends in you losing a valuable officer. There are technically 4 Doctors, but one of them has some untenably annoying conditions to keep aboard, and another simply doesn't give very good stats and wants to retire the second they step on board the boat. And a third, once again, has a really obnoxious story that can cost you way more than it's worth.

Compare this to the 3 engineers, who all want to do something cool and will get better stats and poo poo for doing cool stuff.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
WELP.

There's an issue with the save file. I forgot that turning on manual saves turns off auto-saving, by all appearances.

So, what does this mean? Not a lot. I save at every major port, so I only have to replay from the Mourn. Not a lot has changed - the frigate was even ramming himself into a different column, bless their scurvy-addled brains.

In effect, only two things will change -
1 - Where the Admirality wants us to collect information from.
2 - Which officers we have to recruit.

I'll be updating the changes in the next journal. But in short, we now have two reasons to go to Port Cecil, and we're getting a different Engineer, because the other option is the worst guy.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Black Wombat posted:

Yeah, the fuel thing is required. I feel like a lot of people who complain this game is too hard might be ignoring port reports? You should never sail straight anywhere, in Sunless Sea; you should go port-to-port the whole way, and you'll regain like 75% of the coal you use at the end, most of the time. On long trips, it can earn a few hundred echos, too. If you avoid taking damage, port reports alone should make most trips profit-neutral.
Well, I did most of my long runs in the beta, 1-2 each before and after the steel update, and you never got fuel from port reports then. As I said it's a welcome change, 40 units of hold doesn't allow for a lot of fuel and 10 units doesn't go very far unless you sink a lot of pirates. It is a ton easier to make money though, if you have Abbey Rock anywhere near your start, or the Corsair's Forest, you can make major bank just throwing rations at them. It's really cool that you no longer have to sail in a long rear end circle to get any money. By the way, when you get the riddle event please list or show the chances; since unless you need an item it gives or have a pages approaching 100 that event might as well blank your "something awaits you." Also I'm a big fan of being a street urchin because You can instantly complete your tombcolonist request for 200 echoes, which with salts attention from the sisters lets you get 750 echoes from the Sphinxes and with that + port reports and a strategic information you can get the nice early upgrades for the starter.

As far as doctors go, the annoying one was way easier to keep around in beta because terror built at about 3-4 times the rate it does now and killing things didn't lower it automatically. Back then you really needed to rely on London's ability to take your terror down to 50 for free, because any trip that didn't just hug the coast would rack up a huge amount. Also one of the engineers, as cool as he is, can commit suicide for no readily apparent reason. Also that navigator that up and leaves without warning can be recruited outside of the return to London without taking a lot of resources, so they have a use at least.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
The image of submitting Hunter's Keep report has Quality: Table-Breaking, unfortunately.

I didn't know you can ignore the Bruiser and save the offer for later! Let's do that.

Fuel chat: 40 hold allows you to take 20-25 fuel and leave enough space for supplies; in my experience this is good enough to go to the farthest reaches of the zee and come back safely - unless you spend fuel getting into long fights. I won't say I've never been stranded without fuel, but usually when it happens it's not because I zailed too far.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Lokapala posted:

The image of submitting Hunter's Keep report has Quality: Table-Breaking, unfortunately.

I didn't know you can ignore the Bruiser and save the offer for later! Let's do that.

Fuel chat: 40 hold allows you to take 20-25 fuel and leave enough space for supplies; in my experience this is good enough to go to the farthest reaches of the zee and come back safely - unless you spend fuel getting into long fights. I won't say I've never been stranded without fuel, but usually when it happens it's not because I zailed too far.

Whoops, fixed that.

And I agree, 20-25 fuel is a safe amount. But it leaves little room for loot you collect near the start of the trip, so I usually depart with less and trust that I'll come across some at zee. I usually leave with about 15 coal, and I've yet to run out (although I did once get back with 0 coal and 2 supplies left. Close one, that.)

Also, I usually roll with the light off. Don't tell the crew. They'll be finding out soon enough. :ssh:

I wanted to ask, how do people feel about the length of the posts? I'm going to be phasing out things we've seen a lot, but there's simply still a lot of bulk to be had.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Black Wombat posted:

Whoops, fixed that.

And I agree, 20-25 fuel is a safe amount. But it leaves little room for loot you collect near the start of the trip, so I usually depart with less and trust that I'll come across some at zee. I usually leave with about 15 coal, and I've yet to run out (although I did once get back with 0 coal and 2 supplies left. Close one, that.)

Also, I usually roll with the light off. Don't tell the crew. They'll be finding out soon enough. :ssh:

I wanted to ask, how do people feel about the length of the posts? I'm going to be phasing out things we've seen a lot, but there's simply still a lot of bulk to be had.

I don't mind a good sized update.

But I also like frequent updates.

Good sized frequent updates would be best. [/joke]

Honestly, just go with whatever cut-off point feels best to you.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Journal entry 6 – The Inner-Sea Loop, part one

The Journal of Petra Blackwood

December 19th, 1887 - Morning

I lead our new officer, the Genial Magician, back onto the ship. I showed him his quarters, which I think he found adequate, and the engine, which I think he found barely satisfactory. In any case, it will be good to have someone with serious engineering know-how looking after the engine full-time. And who am I to hold only having one hand against someone? And perhaps he will lend a certain air of style to the ship we otherwise lack.

While he got settled, I did a little catching up on the news about London. A promotional sent me to Mrs. Plenty's provisions, and while there, I laid a few echos to bolster our supplies. We didn't have enough for a longer trip.

My crew came back in the wee hours of the morning, mostly under their own power. I, of course, was eager to be back to Zee, and wasted no time in casting off, regardless of the grumblings of my crew.

One small thing that makes it hard to keep narrative flow – no time passes in port except for a very specific few events. I could rest in my lodgings ten times, and no time would pass. Let's add this to the pile of things we blame the Zee for.

December 19th, 1887 – Afternoon

As we set out, I spoke a little while to my new officer. He seems capable, and very polite, but something about him is setting the crew on edge and they won't tell me what.

Yes, you can, in fact, sleep with most (non-mascot) officers – including two of the five starters. Each one has a 'X must be 20 higher than Y' requirement. Maybe Petra will find her soul-mate someday.

We spoke for a while about his old profession. It was an illuminating discussion. Sometime, when we're less busy, I'll have to inquire more about his past.

I burnt 5 Secrets to improve our veils by 5.

On the way out of London, I stopped by Hunter's Keep to pay the sisters a visit, Once more, they offered me lunch, and I chose to lunch with Cynthia. She reminds me of myself, in a way – If I had permitted myself to be consumed by the loss of my father, and my isolation, and the comfort of books. Those things strengthened me, while similar things seem to have hollowed Cynthia out inside, and filled her with darkness.

Perhaps I will lunch with her again. We will be traveling north-east from here, to Pigmote island.

December 19th, 1887 – Evening

We have come across a very particular place! Between Hunter's Keep and Pigmote Island is a small collection of islands, upon which seems to have been built some kind of maze. Grandalt told me it was called the Labyrinth of Eels, but would not offer any reason for why. That caused every zailor on deck to come forth and give me a reason.

This persisted until we saw the shark.

It was half as long as the ship, and bound in the most particular irons. As soon as it saw us, it turned and headed straight for us. With the Labyrinth hemming us in, we had little choice but to fight it – and to kill such a beast is a mercy, besides.

Once it realized that we weren't helpless, it tried to flee – it got precariously close to a nearby whirlpool. It ran us nearly to Pigmote and back. But in the end, we won the day – Kraken, in particular, seemed pleased, even as the hunt drug on. But everyone was proud when we pulled the largest of its teeth free as a trophy.

They were less happy about my choice to have some of the less-than-prime cuts served as a victory celebration. Some of them even claimed they screamed as they cut in! Hogwash. Mine was perfectly silent.

This fight is like all others – rub your face against them until they're dead. When defeated, if butchered, larger zee-beasts give a random quantity of 'An unprepossessing mass', with stronger ones having higher ranges. The more you get, the better your reward. You don't get anything interesting until you hit a pretty high level, though – Most levels give supplies, at best.

Also, repair and resupply in London? No time. Fight a shark? Two days. That's the Zee for you.

With that, it was on to Pigmote isle.

December 21st, 1887 – Morning

Things had changed since our last visit. It appears the supplies we gave to the rodents was enough for them to dethrone the king of the Cavies. And while I wasn't foolish enough to ask about the fate of the leaders, it seemed the rank-and-file had been adopted into ratty civilization. They didn't look terribly happy about it, but I saw them and rats working shoulder-to-shoulder, rebuilding the cavy's tent city.

The Chief Engineer was happy to see me. He was eager to show me and my crew around – he wanted to share all the amazing things we'd made possible. He even offered to have some of his rats repair our ship while we waited, and how could I say no to that? We spent a few comfortable hours under the glow of the Rat-Star, listening to their plans for renovating the island. The entire island. With machines. It sounded outlandish, but I've heard crazier stories.

Eventually, our repairs were done, and we returned to Zee. It's nice to know, however, we have a safe port here, even if it is among rats. We continued east, looking for Port Cecil.

December 21st, 1887 – Afternoon

Half a day east of the rats, we encountered a Lighthouse boat, amid a shoal of stones and fog.

We had arrived just in time. A pirate pinnacre had been about to try an unwise attack; unwise, of course, because we were present. They were no challenge to us, and soon sank, leaving valuable supplies for the picking.

I'm going to go ahead and stop covering fights with things we've already seen unless they manage to do a fair amount of damage. Like the two bat swarms I've run into.

I have also issued an order for us to change course and head south, instead. A.J. Kalan insists that the Zee-bat is implying that the Khanate lies due east of us. How she knows that the bat thinks its the Khanate, and not some other port, I couldn't tell you, but she seemed insistant and she's always been right before about these things. I don't want to get too close to the khanate. They dislike Londoners profoundly, and I would rather not get caught up in their politics if I don't have too.

December 23rd, 1887 – Morning

We arrived at Abbey Rock today, home of The Sisterhood. They're an order of militant nuns that are supposed to be the best fighters in the Neath – possibly a few Tomb-colonists and Elder continent detizens who've had centuries to practice.

Neither me, nor any of my crew, felt like disturbing them without good reason. Instead, we checked near the dock for signs of activity, while I watched the Sisters training upon the battlements of their abbey (Do most abbeys have battlements? This one certainly does.).

Doc found something tucked away under the dock. The remains of some poor soul wearing a frog mask, holding a map. It looked like he'd been here quite a long time. In any case, though, I collected what remained of him – that which might be of value, at least – and returned to the ship.

The last event there used up our 'Beginner's luck', which lets us do something cool, once. I'd never used to here before. This one is... Decent. At least all that can be turned around quickly.

We went south from here, still seeking Port Cecil.

December 23rd, 1887 - afternoon

Ignore the date on the second one – I missed it on the first pass and had to go back and get a better screenshot.

Not long after, we arrived at the Abbey's southern neighbor, the Shepard Isles. I was told they have no shepherds, I saw they had no real industry or production, but what they did have was enormous quantities of absolutely ridiculous stories.

While listening to the men, I couldn't help but notice someone who did not fit in. He was quiet, and had a very unusual tattoo. I recognized it, vaguely – while I did not know the exact symbol, I was certain it was a sigil of the Correspondence! How could he have had it committed to his flesh without combustion? I could barely contain my eagerness when he approached me and asked to come aboard my ship! He's even useful, a skilled navigator. While I do decently, having a dedicated professional will help immensely. Oh, I'm so excited to find out the man's secrets! For now, though, I have my duties, and we were due to leave the island, with only one or two of the Zailors asking to investigate Thornwell Croft.

Our Officer list is starting to fill out nicely!

December 25th, 1887 -
Christmas has happened, day of the birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ, savior of all the damned who live by his rules. It all seems so far away, down here, in the Neath, although the Bishop of Southwark wouldn't agree. Someone smuggled aboard something alcoholic. I don't have it in my heart to take it away from them. We stopped briefly near the Bonny Reef, and someone started singing carols. Most of the crew joined in. We swapped tales of Christmasses past, and many of them were surprised to learn that I'd been born and raised in the Neath. Helios looked horrified. But no matter.

I insisted we get zailing again before too long passed; the deck lamp burns fuel, after all, and we don't want to be stuck out here in the dark.

December 26th, 1887 -

We've arrived at Demeaux island, home of the Iron and Misery Funging station. The name couldn't be more appropriate, as a small army of workers wages a constant war against a fungal forest to cut and process the morels that keeps London going. It's hard to tell if they're winning.

The whole place has an air of desperation that I find off-putting. It also has air filled with spores that my crew objected too. And while I could tolerate it well enough, I felt it might cling if we dawdled too long. With our supplies of fuel dwindling, we had no choice but to turn west and head back towards London.

I hope the trip home is as relatively uneventful as the trip out.

Black Wombat fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 28, 2015

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I think you linked the wrong final screenshot for December 23rd - it's the same as the preceding one.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the thread so thanks for creating it. I've heard good things about this game but I don't really have time to play anything anymore so LPs are my only means of experiencing new releases.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Maugrim posted:

I think you linked the wrong final screenshot for December 23rd - it's the same as the preceding one.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the thread so thanks for creating it. I've heard good things about this game but I don't really have time to play anything anymore so LPs are my only means of experiencing new releases.

So I did. It's been fixed.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! We've still got a long way to go, but Petra is getting close to being out of the dying-early stage of the game. Sometimes things just get arranged such that it's hard to get started.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Welp, I've started playing Fallen London now. It's one of the better brower games I've played.

I'm on there as Ricard Void.

Edit: Thought it would be a good idea to look into a mirror at the house of mirrors. Now I'm "Somewhere Else" with a full Nightmares gauge. Whoops.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
I'm on there as Mcclay if our good ship ever needs another loyal crewwoman.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'm there as " VolticSurge ".

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I've been enjoying this thread and playing along, but the Zee has been far less kind; I'm on my 3rd captain, and struggling every time I return to London to have enough fuel and supplies to set out again.

Do you have tips on how to make money? I've done the Admiralty missions as I can, I'm on my 3rd and this time I don't know where the island is. They're getting farther away.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Kacie posted:

Do you have tips on how to make money? I've done the Admiralty missions as I can, I'm on my 3rd and this time I don't know where the island is. They're getting farther away.

Yeah, the first one is always nearby, and after that it's always a random island that isn't on a tile adjacent to London.

As for making money, well... I'll be honest, I never had a huge problem with this game? It's all about being very efficient. Visiting a lot of ports, with as little resources spent as possible. I advise you to do the Sphinxstone quests early, if you can scrape together 200 echos. Avoid damage as best you can, of course - Hopefully you should know how to fight things without really getting hurt by now, and you can get some serious loot that way. Run with your light off a lot - it's easier to lower terror than find fuel, since fighting things lowers terror.

In short, get good at fighting. Learn to exploit the dumb, dumb AI. It gives you every resource AND lowers terror. Charge face-first into danger.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Kacie posted:

I've been enjoying this thread and playing along, but the Zee has been far less kind; I'm on my 3rd captain, and struggling every time I return to London to have enough fuel and supplies to set out again.

If you just need to get over the hump of your first few outings, here are some tips:
Starting as a urchin makes your tomb-colonist a former criminal. If you help them you can get a cool 200 echo without a chance for failure. Lunching with the oldest sister on Hunter's keep gets you the attention of Salt, with 200 echo and Salt's attention you can get 20 units of cargo you can sell for 500 echo and a item that the university will buy for 250 echo from the Salt Lions. With those and port reports you can get 750+echo, which is more than enough to get you provisions. When you buy stuff, concentrate on fuel in London, between hunter's keep and pirates you should be able to keep in supplies. If you want things to trade, coffee is valuable on the surface (expensive to get up there, but always in the same place) and you can run trade goods, which will turn a profit with luck (Bring a 10/10 crew and 30 fuel, supplies are cheap on the surface, but people die a lot). Godfall or the Sisters can get you some early money, wine to Godfall is the ur trade route, and the sisters will hover up the extra supplies you get from pirate killing at a fair price. Even with just the first you can get enough to buy some good stuff in London, I recommend upgrading your cannon to the 500 echo model since it makes combat faster and the 100 echo lamp is a tiny bonus but at only 50 echo long term and with no penalty. Never upgrade engines, the only worthwhile one to slap on the starter is the serpentine and you need to do an officer quest to get it. Port reports are important, always try to get a decent amount for when you return to London. Otherwise just engage officers when you find them, keep about 200 echo on hand for repair and resupply, and push back the fog on the map and you should start to see opportunities to get wealth and story advancement show up.

Also fighting pirates is super easy, you'll take at most a shot or two and rip them up as you settle into their blind spots. Zee monsters are a bit tougher, since if their charge activates they will actually damage you on any contact, so hold off on fighting a lot of them until your comfortable with maneuvering.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Also, one of the monsters recently was altered to be able to accelerate to attack speed super fast if you aren't hugging it nonstop.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
A minor question: Why exactly is it referred to as the 'zee' in this game, and not the sea? Is it just the developer's way of representing an accent?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ousire posted:

A minor question: Why exactly is it referred to as the 'zee' in this game, and not the sea? Is it just the developer's way of representing an accent?

The "sea" is what bordered London before it was taken below. This is the Unterzee, an entirely different thing, upon which zailors zail. It's a horrific cthonian ecosystem with no real relation to geography above, like pretty much everything else Beneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It turns out strange things happen when a city gets stolen by bats. One of the strange things is that the letter Z suddenly starts appearing in a number of places it previously had no business being found.

• Locked thread