Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Black Wombat posted:

I honestly don't know if which of the Sisters you dine with, or what order you do it in on subsequent visits, changes the fate of Hunter's Keep... But perhaps it does.

It doesn't.

Lunch with Cynthia! She seems fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yes, they do. Quite comprehensively. You just need to keep chipping away at them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The metal sphere's a bad example because literally all you have to do is hang around Station III until Something Awaits You and then just bumble in and do stuff. Rinse, repeat.

You're kinda intended to be drip-fed this stuff, though - the assumption is that you'll sail off somewhere once you're finished with a port, and maybe your route will take you past Station III again so you drop in, continue the story, sail off...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my dad posted:

The answer is the Dutch.

Christ, give it a rest already, that's always your response.

Incidentally, one thing I always found a bit funny about Fallen London is how the Unterzee is possibly the safest place in the game. Like, while you're sailing I haven't found many opportunities to pick up Menaces (nightmares, wounds, etc.), and if you're on one of the islands and you go over the insane/dead threshold of 8, you don't go insane or die. You either get cured or you keep on truckin', until presumably you get back to London and keel over.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The tomb-colonist violinists were playing Pop goes the Weasel? Are they out of their minds!?

Hopefully your comatose ferret is considered different enough to be safe from that musical scourge, OP.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Coolguye posted:

It has a psychic scream attack

They recently updated the animation to make it a bit more obvious but it's not a psychic scream per se, it's yelling at you in the Correspondence.

I mean it still makes your mind boil but it's less "Mars Attacks" and more having "AN-EXCHANGE-WHICH-IS-MONSTROUS-YET-SCRUPULOUSLY-FAIR" inscribed on your forebrain with words of fire.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I played the Fate-locked option. Guess what it says.

Innocent_Bystander posted:

Viric and Apocyan get! To Venderbight!

Gant. Apocyan's much, much more useful.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Well, you've been able to go to Polythreme in Fallen London way before Sunless Sea. And there's a shitload more to do there in the browser game

nweismuller posted:

Don't forget various Surface powers! Both the Russians and the Dutch are definitely elbows-deep in the Great Game in London, and I have no doubt others are as well.

Pretty sure drat near everyone is involved. Wilmot's End has the Belgians as players, although in fairness they were a pretty major colonial power.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tetrakarn posted:

They took Mr. Eaten's content out of the game didn't they? Is there any timetable on more or is it gone for good?

Check the Echo Bazaar thread in Games, this was dealt with quite recently.

We now have three threads in which lore discussion is happening, which is quite amusing; this one, Echo one, and the main Sunless Sea one.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Either the Violant Arc or the Very Angry Vole.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

So where, exactly, do your officers sleep?

I mean, you can sail around with only the one crew member and a full complement of officers, so they're not represented by the crew number. But that also means that you can have up to twenty-five people on board the tramp steamer, if they're in addition to your crew. Or about fifteen, plus pets, on the steam launch.

Do they... actually exist?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Black Wombat posted:

The first part of this is REALLY trending into spoiler territory. Please tag appropriately!

It's not a spoiler for Sunless Sea, though. None of it makes sense in the context of the game unless you're already deep into Fallen London.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Not really. You get the Attention of all three gods, which is chiefly used to get decent stat bonuses in the View from Above storylet, and to counter their curses, but really most of their curses do gently caress all anyway. The gods are surprisingly underdeveloped in terms of gameplay, and really weirdly asymmetrically developed in terms of lore.

Also the Bat mask is only really offered to newcomers, and is explicitly a... brief visitor. Visage doesn't seem to officially account for the idea of people shedding their mask and legging it, it already has capacity for swapping masks with people, so the idea of a dedicated secret batassassin mask is a bit of a weird one.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pretty sure it's the thing you dig up that blasted through the roof from the Surface. It will become more clear once we see the description in-thread.

And yeah it might be celestial, but space in the Fallen London universe is... not quite as barren as in ours.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Really weird disconnect between Sunless Sea and Fallen London. In FL this would be a colossally big deal; in Sunless Sea it costs you an item you can get in exchange for sorting some post.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah it's not like getting your own ship is a FL endgame goal or anything

Fallen London PCs are arguably more influential than poxy little zeecaptains; you get Destinies, things your character are assumed to later take part in (once they're not your character anymore), which can include anything up to and including The Liberation of Night

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Devils are actually all kinds of hosed up and you will never eat honey again once you realise. Someone's gotten quite close to the truth in the above posts, though.

Neruz posted:

Also getting that Searing Enigma was a little more complicated than sorting some mail :v:

Searing Enigmas are actually really valuable and are the second highest tier of 'knowledge' goods, the highest being a Dread Surmise.

Nah. You go there, click a few options, set off a flare, boom. A thousand echoes.

Another FL/SS disconnect is that the Dread Surmise is worth less than a Searing Enigma in FL. The top-tier knowledge item is an Impossible Theorem, which would have in fact fit with the Alarming Scholar even better; it makes sense that a scholar would want to pay so much for it, whereas a surmise is just 2spoopy4u.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lokapala posted:

Those are shiny sort of genetically engineered pseudo-crustaceans from another planet. Bits of their chitin is what we use in our prow lamp! Also, their creators? Flukes.

To expand on the false stars a bit, they're called moon-misers, they shed glim, and when strapped into horrible steampunk devices they can be electrocuted/milked to give a substance that makes people fall in love with the first thing they see once they take it. Which is why the Masters are pretty interested in them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lokapala posted:

Wouldn't that be artificial love and thus of no use to the Bazaar?

Presumably! I've not played through that Ambition myself, I don't know why the masters care so much about them. Still, there's a big thing with a box where two of the Masters are at cross purposes, so there must be some reason they care.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

No. gently caress the spiders, in the pejorative sense.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Neruz posted:

I still can't get over the fact that being a cannibal is strictly a buff and has no downsides. This game :v:

Well, it sort of is in real life as well. Getting caught is the problem.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

for fucks sake, dude

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ousire posted:

Yeah, I suppose I phrased it slightly poorly. I certainly didn't mean to imply that he was just fine and dandy, he is for all intents and purposes dead to us folks in the Unterzee. However, I had been under the impression based on my experiences in Fallen London, than when you enter the dream world, you actually do enter there with your body and everything, and vanish from the waking world. After all, in FL, when you go insane and enter the Mirror Marshes, when you return to London your clothes are muddy and stained like you had actually been there. And when you ate the magician, it described him as tasting strange (And as you mentioned you didn't get any points of Peckish), which I took to mean that it wasn't actually, you know, human meat, but a Dreamsnake in human form.

Yeah, my take on it is that the Magician's mind and body are in the same dreamland place, and what came back was a Twin-Peaks style mirrorsnake doppelganger. Contrast to the Sigil-Eaten navigator, where his his body is in fact animated by his Eaten personality.

Fathomking can't bring back Maybe's Daughter from the Wicket because she didn't die at Zee and thus he'd have to lean on the Bazaar to return her. Which is unlikely, for a variety of reasons.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Specifically, it was probably a shipwreck. The crew and her parents all got aped, but the apes who have her parents souls still watch over her to keep her safe.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

e: actually you can see previous updates so it's probably not that

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Captain Bravo posted:

That was a reference to the achewood strip where Philippe imagines himself getting turned into dog food. :v:

Which is, of course, the first thing you think of when thinking about sharks.

Really, I've no idea about the bound sharks, but there's a certain faction in the Neath whose "thing" is kinda rigid, unyielding, painful order. They seem like likely candidates, although the "why" escapes me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tell her to gently caress off

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Well, bung in a higher-tier soul, then :q:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

You sold the diamond?

Christ, I can't believe you sold the diamond.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The thing that's eating the candles is                                         u                                           

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Especially if you want a lot of cellars of wine.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

:gonk:

Jesus Christ, flukes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

She's got enough to claim it now, I think.

Trenchcoat guy is just a fallen london player scouting for the rarest item in the game. He has a secretarial training facility for these blemmigans.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

He does say his imagination is rather literal, and he has previously said he's hidden a secret in Frostfound. What he's probably pulled out is, y'know, the secret for creating a stone pig. Hence, something that isn't a stone pig yet. A stone piglet.

The fact that the engines are quasi-living makes it all a bit more complex, though.

No idea what the leviathans are.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

MikeJF posted:

The thing that kinda bugs me, especially in Sunless Sea, is how much you're not told of the common knowledge that basically everyone in the setting should know. Not even the hidden mysteries, just the things that your character would know from the start about the basic situation but the player doesn't.

You are not your character.

Like, that's the whole conceit. You interpret things through your unreliable narrator of a character, who won't necessarily feel the urge to explain and the Clay Men are basically golems, you see to themselves.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hmm before i heard this i was fine with devils trading souls, but now,

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

What's happening to the crew members that we leave behind there?

UN THE SUN THE SUN THE S

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

8_Escape posted:

The tigers can talk?
Call me unobservant and poor with patterns but I thought they were just regular tigers, still probably would have gone for London though since I am unsure of what said tigers could offer captains that come to them bare a place on the dinner table.

nothing in the neath is regular

literally everything can talk, even if there are mute versions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Brute force the puzzle, like the Towers of Hanoi one.

Failing that; for the first line, there are five cities, which I reckon are Ur, Alexandria, some Mayan place called Hopelchén, Xanadu, and London. Paris will be the sixth, possibly, and if the seventh doesn't do the job then the Bazaar's in trouble

Second line - the only river I can think of where you don't fear drowning is the Styx, because you're already dead. That's the seventh river of the underworld, isn't it? Or ninth?

Third line's pretty straightforward, we've seen four.

Fourth line, no idea.

Fifth line, seek the name.

Last two, no more directions!

• Locked thread