Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Frog Act posted:

i've met some cool detectives who were complimentary about the quality of weed, and just took it and were like really obvious about going to smoke it. but most of the time the police are all uncritical and serious when they look you in teh eyes and say something like "you know pot dealers will sell pot to kindergardners, right? all they care about is the cash, those bastards"

that is verbatim what my friends were told when the cops smelled weed while asking them to move their car off the street and then brought like fifteen dudes in to execute a search warrant and completely ruin their poo poo over nothing

the only cop i know is my sister in law and shes a belligerent drunk that lives in a 40 year old trailer, prior to that she was a grocery bagger at 40 years old thank you for your service to the community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Clitch posted:

Nah. Congressmen are mostly installed puppets these day.

Rising to the level of your incompetence, as a phenomenon, is mostly an extension of that old GBS favorite, the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

I;m not a psychologist but that doesn't really seem to be the case. The Dunning-Kruger Effect has to do with self perception and the Peter Principle has more to do with how others evaluate you.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

looking at cops and feeling safe is "i am white and bitchmade 101"

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Frog Act posted:

the police have always been very forgiving with me as a white man in a southern city

Same but everywhere

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

i have a friend who once confessed to me how me how great judge dredd would be if it was "real life"

he's a police officer now

he's not a bastard though, just a well-meaning civics failure

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

them duke boys done it again

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Otto von Ruthless posted:

I;m not a psychologist but that doesn't really seem to be the case. The Dunning-Kruger Effect has to do with self perception and the Peter Principle has more to do with how others evaluate you.

They don't correlate, if you assume others evaluate you objectively. That's a very poor assumption.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

i have a friend who once confessed to me how me how great judge dredd would be if it was "real life"

he's a police officer now

same lol although he was a coworker and i didnt like him

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Clitch posted:

They don't correlate, if you assume others evaluate you objectively. That's a very poor assumption.

Well sure, an incompetent person could also have others fooled about their abilities, but that doesn't mean the two ideas are directly related.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

My one roommate's life dream was to be a cop but he kept getting dinged by departments for Smoking Weed Every Day when he was in high school/early college. It was kind of sad because he's definitely not too much of a fuckass to be a cop and weed will be legal in like ten years

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Fat Lowtax posted:

My one roommate's life dream was to be a cop but he kept getting dinged by departments for Smoking Weed Every Day when he was in high school/early college. It was kind of sad because he's definitely not too much of a fuckass to be a cop and weed will be legal in like ten years

If he wasn't comfortable with just lying he probably wouldn't make a good cop anyway

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I agree that something seriously needs to be done about bad cop behavior and culture but holy poo poo these threads are loving depressing

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I don't think this dude actually smoked the weed. His wife kinda wears the pants and I could tell he wasn't really happy she made him do it. You never know though, he may have toked up a bit.

He's a really cool guy to party with. I imagine though that if I didn't know him, and he pulled me over. He'd be the stereotypical piece of poo poo cop.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

proof of concept posted:

gently caress da police

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
I've met poo poo cops who were looking for any excuse to exercise their authority over me, and I've met good cops who were good guys that treated me fairly and were just trying to do their jobs. If it weren't for some of those good cops actually giving a drat my life would be a lot shittier in a lot of ways.

So I don't think all cops are bastards. Just some cops. Of course those bastard cops can get away with murder, so that sort of unbalances the scales in favor of them because good cops cannot resurrect the people that bastard cops murder, or even really call them out because the system is hosed.

Also I once met a lady cop that had a serious fetish for dominating men, she literally got off on it. I don't know why I decided to add that, but there you go. Thanks for reading.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

This rear end in a top hat even won a settlement as compensation for "mental trauma" resulting from people hating his guts after this: $38,055, which was more than the $30,000 each of his victims got.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

amityville anus posted:

The only good cop is a dead cop

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Well sure, an incompetent person could also have others fooled about their abilities, but that doesn't mean the two ideas are directly related.

It doesn't just work from the bottom up. Incompetent people will promote other incompetents.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

this_is_hard posted:

If he wasn't comfortable with just lying he probably wouldn't make a good cop anyway

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

lol

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Mr.48 posted:

This rear end in a top hat even won a settlement as compensation for "mental trauma" resulting from people hating his guts after this: $38,055, which was more than the $30,000 each of his victims got.

Glad to hear there was a happy ending.

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

the very smart detective who cant type on the 5 hr long "Dragon Naturally speaking" commercial stated:

"This photo contains a depiction of the living room."

also that little fuking kid writing on whether we should have wars to keep our peace ... Freedom. gently caress you you're like seven and you cant even type u bitchboy

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)

Pitdragon posted:

I've met poo poo cops who were looking for any excuse to exercise their authority over me, and I've met good cops who were good guys that treated me fairly and were just trying to do their jobs. If it weren't for some of those good cops actually giving a drat my life would be a lot shittier in a lot of ways.

you should ask those "good" cops for their opinion on whether any of their racist rear end in a top hat coworkers should be fired

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

gently caress THE POLICE

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
cops are subhuman scum

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
A coworker I was training got shot on the job today, and I had to give a statement to the cops. I really had to stop myself from just oinking at them.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

If I were a cop I'd be rust cohle

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
An off-duty lady cop in England frenched me once because she liked the hat I was wearing. Would've hosed that police.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

A coworker I was training got shot on the job today, and I had to give a statement to the cops. I really had to stop myself from just oinking at them.

what do you do that there is a risk of being shot?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jst0rm posted:

probably delivered a pizza to the police station

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Jst0rm posted:

naacp

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I am a fingerprint guy that does engineer stuff.

Today at work I got a boner after I sent like 20 people to prison by fixing their stuck transactions. They have to sit in jail until all that shits done, so often they're waiting on us to fix our garbage system.

I love sending people to jail. I am better than everyone else.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Jst0rm posted:

There isn't a risk of being shot really. Some jackass came in today and was in the bathroom. He had a gun on him and he must have accidentally fired it somehow while he was in there. Bullet went through the bathroom door, through the wall, and then through the girls ankle. She's new, only been there a few months, only 19 or 20 years old, one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Dude took off running instead of owning up to it too.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
sounds like a bad day at IHOP imo

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Daedra posted:

Puh-lease. I work at Texas Roadhouse.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Puh-lease. I work at Texas Roadhouse.

I LOVE MY JOB

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Daedra posted:

my town has had two automobile deaths inside the Sizzler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
OP have you ever consider all the good cops are shot by criminal because they are weak? it's basic darwimian selection

• Locked thread