Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

wow, i thought it would be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
memy easily claims the first post

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

memy posted:

memy easily claims the first post
WELL DONE!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Is it like most of these games where the concept is super pimped when people talk about it but the actual gameplay is shallow and limited?
I hate that poo poo. Burned me when I finally played FTL, and Teleglitch.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
ftl owned though

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

JebanyPedal posted:

Is it like most of these games where the concept is super pimped when people talk about it but the actual gameplay is shallow and limited?

yes, definitely.

its very atmospheric and even kind of disturbing in some ways, but the gameplay is essentially managing resources on a never ending series of fetch quests punctuated by multiple choice text events. it's also incredibly easy to get killed by bad luck or bad planning.

i like for it's atmosphere but if that sort of gameplay doesn't sound like your kind of thing it's probably not for you.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

JebanyPedal posted:

i think most of the games these days are either block based, survival games, zombie games or all three put together for the ultimate selling game

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

what a dumb name. all seas are sunless. the sun lives in the sky.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Pitdragon posted:

yes, definitely.

its very atmospheric and even kind of disturbing in some ways, but the gameplay is essentially managing resources on a never ending series of fetch quests punctuated by multiple choice text events. it's also incredibly easy to get killed by bad luck or bad planning.

i like for it's atmosphere but if that sort of gameplay doesn't sound like your kind of thing it's probably not for you.

pretty much. Atmospheric and fun, though i think it lacks the replayability to back up the multiple death component. Excellent music though.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Pitdragon posted:

yes, definitely.

hmm that sounds aight

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

easily val kilmer's most mediocre film

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Concerned Citizen posted:

ftl owned though

It was super simple and tedious and had a massive lack of content which is a death sentence for roguelikes. I never understood the hype for that game.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
If you want a game with good atmosphere and also good gameplay get Darkest Dungeon.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

JebanyPedal posted:

It was super simple and tedious and had a massive lack of content which is a death sentence for roguelikes. I never understood the hype for that game.

lmao get a load of this guy

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
yeah i bought into sunless sea early and put like 11 hours total into it now im like eeeeeh. see also: invisible, inc.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

all i need is one more [adjective][noun] to complete the [adjective][noun] quest

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
for a cool game for cool people why not try batman?

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Some faux nerds say that it's all about the writing, but actually it's not. If you were to take away the overly complex excel related RPG wank it'd be a pretty sweet game to play on the iPad with metal gfx.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
it's all about the writing

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i played it and posted about it in games and now i dont play it that much i like it and dislike it at the same time

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

anyone else get the secret ending where you gently caress hitler?

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Harald posted:

anyone else get the secret ending where you gently caress hitler?

one of the best uses of qte this year imho

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

JebanyPedal posted:

It's not nearly as bad as FTL but it's basically "Fetch Quests: The Game".

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

lonesomedwarf posted:

one of the best uses of qte this year imho

ur a qt :bigtran:

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...
try darkest dungeon, it is more of an actual game with the same kind of oppressive atmosphere

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

JebanyPedal posted:

the main appeal of FTL is the actual mechanics of controlling your ship and crew. if you're not into that then it probably won't be a very appealing game.

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
OP im sold i just got it and im waiting on it to install now and if it isnt poo poo im coming for you broe ill find you i fuckin will

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

osietra posted:

Some faux nerds say that it's all about the writing, but actually it's not. If you were to take away the overly complex excel related RPG wank it'd be a pretty sweet game to play on the iPad with metal gfx.

Are you saying that the people who say this aren't really nerds or do you not know how to use 'faux' in a sentence (in which you accuse people of being fake)

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

it would be made a lot better by:
1) a note system so you could remind youself to take 5 widgets to a place
2) storage in london so you didn't fill you ship up with poo poo you got but didn't want to use right away

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
mods plz change title to the "game" sunless sea.

its a good choose your own adventure novel/slot machine but I hate how all the "gameplay" systems were balanced by a satanist chimpanzee.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

interesting choice of words because you do indeed meet a bunch of soulstealing apes ingame

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BeefThief posted:

why? it looks like bog standard steampunk lovecraft poo poo to me, bolted onto a clone of FTL

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Oberleutnant posted:

lmao get a load of this guy

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

icantfindaname posted:

why? it looks like bog standard steampunk lovecraft poo poo to me, bolted onto a clone of FTL

the actual meat of the game is almost entirely divorced from the game part. Every sixty seconds of sailing you are allowed to play one (1) storylet in any port. Which storylet you get is mostly random at best, black magic at worst. Some storylets are stuff like "take these tomb-colonists on a charter tour" and let you actually "play" the quest, but most are little vignettes, like the browser game version. The vignettes are cool but they are not what you spend most of the game doing. Instead you'll be spending most of your time waiting for your storylet OK light to turn back on, and making the money it takes to keep going while doing that. But that's not really very fun or interesting.

FTL, on the other hand, at least had a fun core experience.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

BeefThief posted:

same. likewise darkewt dungeon.aybe we just need to accept a good lovecraft thing is nevwr gonna happen.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Laughing Man posted:

try darkest dungeon, it is more of an actual game with the same kind of oppressive atmosphere

lol you buy early access games

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Mr. Wednesday posted:

If you want a game with good atmosphere and also HORRIBLEHORRIBELHORRIBLE gameplay get Darkest Dungeon.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

call of ktulu by metalloca owns so many bones though, so it is possible. then again despite the name its inspired by innsmouth and that features cthulhu not at all?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Laughing Man posted:

it's bad too, mainly a game by spergs who crow about the joys of punishing the player, as if arbitrary difficulty is a good rewarding gameplay feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
sell your steam account on the black market and use the money for a vacation or something

the only game you need is dwarf fortress

• Locked thread