Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

how me a frog posted:

You clearly don't work in insurance or law...

Sober guy: He ran the red light.

Drunk guy: No I didn't.

Witnesses: There are none get real you think anybody cares?

Who's going to be believed?

fair enough. but if there are witnesses or cameras they aren't just automatically wrong, right?

trouser chili posted:

There are high functioning alcoholics that could back a trailer through a slalom at .15, whereby I'm not safe at half-that reading .075, despite that being "legal" where I live. Legislation will always be imperfect, and BAC isn't the best measure of impairment. We're going to have to craft our legislation based on averages, and if that means a bunch of fuckups gently caress up the curve for the rest of everyone else, well we'll have to live with that.

:agreed:

i wish it was kosher to drive stoned but public policy can only be determined the way you're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Frog Act posted:

fair enough. but if there are witnesses or cameras they aren't just automatically wrong, right?

Prossibly not, but I can guarantee, unless it works super differently where you are, your insurance will pay exactly 0 and you will most likely end up liable to some degree because of how these things tend to work out legally. Even if you are only partially liable with a person injured you will end up owing a cool few mill if things go badly.

And if a pedestrian is involved you are actually entirely hosed even it they literally ran out into the street, so yeah. Maybe just don't drive under the influence, it's very easy.

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 21, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
I drive high all the time and I'm a safer driver than just about anyone with a cell phone, infotainment system, and valium housewives that nobody ever seems to complain about.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

HEY VAPER posted:

I drive high all the time and I'm a safer driver than just about anyone with a cell phone, infotainment system, and valium housewives that nobody ever seems to complain about.

Cite your sources, habitual unsafe driver. The fact that you haven't killed anyone yet isn't relevant.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

how me a frog posted:

Cite your sources, habitual unsafe driver. The fact that you haven't killed anyone yet isn't relevant.

I get better autox times when I'm smoking blunts

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
if weed makes u an unsafe driver get less pussified

if ur not smoking js on the road already idk what to tell u

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

how me a frog posted:

Prossibly not, but I can guarantee, unless it works super differently where you are, your insurance will pay exactly 0 and you will most likely end up liable to some degree because of how these things tend to work out legally. Even if you are only partially liable with a person injured you will end up owing a cool few mill if things go badly.

And if a pedestrian is involved you are actually entirely hosed even it they literally ran out into the street, so yeah. Maybe just don't drive under the influence, it's very easy.

i guess i feel like there needs to be some kind of precise way of determining weed intoxication, akin to BAC, so limits can be properly delineated. i feel like "under the influence" is a vague thing with pot. like, if you can drink two or three beers and legally drive, how much weed can you smoke and legally drive?

however i agree with you that it is not hard to drive sober + responsibly in general and that is not too much to expect from people

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Frog Act posted:

i guess i feel like there needs to be some kind of precise way of determining weed intoxication, akin to BAC, so limits can be properly delineated. i feel like "under the influence" is a vague thing with pot. like, if you can drink two or three beers and legally drive, how much weed can you smoke and legally drive?

however i agree with you that it is not hard to drive sober + responsibly in general and that is not too much to expect from people

There is no measure for THC akin to BAC that I know of because it is illegal in the first place almost everywhere. Whether or not this is a good thing is another issue. I would however hope that places which legalized it figured out a way to handle this question. Otherwise that would be grossly irresponsible by the local lawmakers. Generally any amount of "illegal substance" detected in any way is considered "under the influence" however laws are a lot different in different countries so take that as you will. It could be that while consumption is legal the framework has not changed so if you get behind the wheel and mess up you will get hosed. Which you deserve I guess.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
define "wrong," op.

("science" indicates it is not as dangerous to drive stoned as drunk, but you are still impaired compared to someone sober.)

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Frog Act posted:

my local news did a thing when my state made weed legal, where they took a bunch of stoners and put them through an autocross course sober, and then with increasing amounts of weed and just about every driver either hit the same or less cones until they got to the point where they were smoking 5 grams to the face right before getting behind the wheel.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jarvis cocker posted:

if weed makes u an unsafe driver get less pussified

if ur not smoking js on the road already idk what to tell u

I got probated in the weed thread in TCC for saying 'yeah I like to smoke a j on a long car trip'

"DWI glorification" lol

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
As long as you loving go. Stoners going 20 on the highway make me rage incoherently.

loving GO YOU STONER SHITHEAD!!!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

nomadologique posted:

define "wrong," op.

("science" indicates it is not as dangerous to drive stoned as drunk, but you are still impaired compared to someone sober.)

hm. i would say it's wrong if, on the whole, doing it is statistically unsafe and if you ask yourself "how would things be if everyone did this?" and the answer is "terrible", then it is a wrong thing

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
the only time i use cruise control is when i'm high

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

I got probated in the weed thread in TCC for saying 'yeah I like to smoke a j on a long car trip'

"DWI glorification" lol

hahahahahahahaha drat marijuana users

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Frog Act posted:

hm. i would say it's wrong if, on the whole, doing it is statistically unsafe and if you ask yourself "how would things be if everyone did this?" and the answer is "terrible", then it is a wrong thing

It's not that simple as driving is already statistically unsafe at the best of times.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

HEY VAPER posted:

the only time i use cruise control is when i'm high

It's called booze control and you use it when your coming home from the bar

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

HEY VAPER posted:

my local news did a thing when my state made weed legal, where they took a bunch of stoners and put them through an autocross course sober, and then with increasing amounts of weed and just about every driver either hit the same or less cones until they got to the point where they were smoking 5 grams to the face right before getting behind the wheel.

yeah virtually every stoner type person i know is as competent blazed as they are sober. sometimes better, since they don't rage out at other drivers or anything.

i think the NTSB should fund a large-scae long term study of this phenomenon and enlist members of the public to participate

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
there is nothing wrong with weed+driving unless u suck already

weed isn't debilitating (unless u suck already)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frog Act posted:

that's a pretty good definition but I think most people are loving terrible drivers and if smoking weed makes them chill out and stop being so entitled and aggressive on the road then it's a good thing

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

the inherent chill properties of the marijuana experience removes the rear end in a top hat tendency to be in a hurry at the expense of everyone else and therefore it is safer than driving while a dickhead

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I learned to drive stick but had an automatic for years. Yet when nicely baked and the jams are good, I'll try to shift gears.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Frog Act posted:

then the answer is: "probably"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As long as you loving go. Stoners going 20 on the highway make me rage incoherently.

loving GO YOU STONER SHITHEAD!!!

lol

i be driving 10mph and i'm like "ohhhhhhhhh gently caress i'm going soooooo fast"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

ps i don't smoke weed anymore and haven't for years

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
stoners drive like normals, if u cant handle weed stay off the road

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

if your definition of "wrong" includes "is impaired and more likely to cause an accident," then yes it's wrong

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/does-marijuana-use-affect-driving

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

if your definition of "wrong" includes "is impaired and more likely to cause an accident," then no it's not wrong

http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana-and-driving-a-review-of-the-scientific-evidence

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

decide who you trust and just side with whatever agrees with your previous moral stance

good job, you've rationalized like any decision-making adult

try not to kill anyone out there!!

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

if your definition of "wrong" includes "is impaired and more likely to cause an accident," then no it's not wrong

http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana-and-driving-a-review-of-the-scientific-evidence

asians should not bbe allowed to drive

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

to be honest i think the relevant question is

"is it wrong to... drive?"

and the answer is

"yes"

because driving is outrageously dangerous to yourself and to others, no matter what the circumstances

hope this helps op!

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

decide who you trust and just side with whatever agrees with your previous moral stance

good job, you've rationalized like any decision-making adult

try not to kill anyone out there!!

trust no one, run over all the people

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

and the answer is

"yes"

because driving is outrageously dangerous to yourself and to others, no matter what the circumstances

hope this helps op!

agree 10000%

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

that is a consistent moral stance

congratulations, you're a movie villain!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if increased chance of causing an accident is reason enough to make it illegal for a person to drive it's time to start taking licenses away from the elderly

source: florida

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

nomadologique posted:

and the answer is

"yes"

hope this helps op!

whoah

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

gggiiimmmppp posted:

if increased chance of causing an accident is reason enough to make it illegal for a person to drive it's time to start taking licenses away from the elderly

anyone over 55 should have to re-apply for a license.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

gggiiimmmppp posted:

what other metric is there though?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

bet you're really high on weed right now, bc otherwise that wouldn't have blown your mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buy a hotdog!
Oct 24, 2010
I've been stoned plenty of times while driving and still pay better attention and have more spatial awareness than all the white women in giant SUVs, also in icy/snowy conditions

• Locked thread