Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

anime avatar makes poor life choices/is dumb, news at 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i have a p. cool mickey mouse watch from the 80s, i should start wearing it

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Dave Concepcion posted:

alright, that's one beautiful watch

black or brown leather?
choosing the color of the face was excruciating. The black, white, and blue were all awesome. I went with blue face black leather band

Some days I wish I had gone with the black, but I have a movado which although pretty common now, is still a cool black faced dress watch

Bishop fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 21, 2015

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

no because only sperglords or old dudes still wear those

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a Citizen Eco-Drive and an analog Fossil I really like.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
watches are basically just bracelets with some marginal practical value.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
I worked in a couple places that don't allow cellphones also I've had some labs where the emissions from cellphones can disrupt measurements. They are always a dozen feet away from me during most of my work hours. So I embraced a wristwatch renaissance. I really dig my Tissot. A good warranty and that thing just doesn't scratch.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
what do u guys feel about pocket watches

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Watches are jewelry that are useful but not necessary. Unlike women's jewelry they are complex.

A good suit, firm handshake, and good watch goes a long way in the world.

E: I find them kind of gimmicky but there are some nice pocket watches out there.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

what do u guys feel about pocket watches

the same rules apply for them as for fedoras

basically, it's ok to wear if you're super old

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Do people still wear watches?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

RattiRatto posted:

Do people still wear watches?

adults with a soruce of income often do

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
having a chronograph strapped to your wrist for work-out/sports is super useful

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Adults wear watches, you can get Seikos for less than $125 and modded Seikos that are homages to expensive brands for $200

Adults wear watches much like they wear hats when they go outside. Decades ago.
The wristwatch is the fedora of the future. There is absolutely no point to a watch that does not lord your disposable income over people you interact with. If it costs less than €500(0) who are you even trying to impress?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

The wristwatch is the fedora of the future.

literally every guy I know 27-31 wears a watch

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I want this precursor to Quartz watches

Spaceview accutron. Tuning fork watches were used in lunar module equipment, even though the astronauts all wore speedmasters

I have quite a few watches, including one of these. However, it doesn't work. It was left to me by my Father-In-Law. I really need to get it worked on. I also have a Russian pocket watch that was made as a tribute to the Apollo/Soyuz mission (Referred to as the Soyuz/Apollo program in Mother Russia.) I have 10 different Mickey Mouse watches. Mrs. Genesplicer got me one for each of our first ten anniversaries. Then she stopped, and on our 12th anniversary, when we were in Switzerland, she got me my favorite watch, my Omega Speedmaster Professional. Great watch.

I like watches. But then, as many have pointed out in this thread, I'm an Old Fart, and therefore allowed to enjoy watches.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
What do you guys think of smart watches?

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

psyopmonkey posted:

NihilismNow posted:

the fedora of the future.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Dave Concepcion posted:

literally every guy I know 27-31 wears a watch

The only people i know who wear watches wear those watches that look like a diving watch.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

psyopmonkey posted:

They remind me of casio calculator watches

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

There is absolutely no point to a watch

it's beautful to look at and gives the wearer pleasure, you can check time discretely in fractions of a second and in situations where a phone would be cumbersome to pull out if you keep it in your pants (on a bike, walking fast), great during exercise when the phone is strapped to your upper arm

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

NihilismNow posted:

The wristwatch is the fedora of the future. There is absolutely no point to a watch that does not lord your disposable income over people you interact with. If it costs less than €500(0) who are you even trying to impress?
by this logic there is no point in wearing anything but a sweatshirt/sweatpants every day.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i had a terrorist casio when i was a kid, it was the coolest thing ever

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Bishop posted:

by this logic there is no point in wearing anything but a sweatshirt/sweatpants every day.

or eat anything but soylent

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

SKX173

It's very readable at a glance, it's everythingproof, the mechanical movement is pleasant to watch, and the rotating bezel makes a nice tea timer. Even if I wanted to start carrying a phone, we aren't allowed to have any electronic devices at work so welp.

GW-M5610

Sometimes I wear this one. I dunno, it just owns.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Bishop posted:

not quite. a wristwatch w/ no other functions that just showing time is going obsolete, much the same way as pocketwatches or pocket squares or canes or top hats

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

not quite. a wristwatch w/ no other functions that just showing time is going obsolete, much the same way as pocketwatches or pocket squares or canes or top hats

mechanical watches have been obsolete for over 40 years if anything they're more popular now

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Bishop posted:

Except that is not the social norm, unlike not wearing a watch.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dave Concepcion posted:

mechanical watches have been obsolete for over 40 years if anything they're more popular now

i'd say they are not more popular now since everyone wore a watch in the 80s. everyone, it was the only way to tell the time.

the other things i mentioned have gone obsolete, and the wristwatch is going there slowly. it's gonna take a few decades since cheapo wristwatches sell in the 3rd world but it will happen.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

Except that is not the social norm, unlike not wearing a watch.

dressing like a slob is the social norm though (in large parts of the us and britain at least)

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

i'd say they are not more popular now since everyone wore a watch in the 80s. everyone, it was the only way to tell the time.

I meant mechanical watches, the 80s were all about quartz

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dave Concepcion posted:

I meant mechanical watches, the 80s were all about quartz

well, watches in general. i honestly don't think smartwatches are gonna go big until they come up with a battery that lasts for at least a week.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

Today you have to work very hard to not have a clock in your field of vision. Car has a clock, gym has a clock, all computers have a clock on screen, clocks all over the streets, church towers.

If you get really desperate you can even have your cellphone tell you the time by a voice command if it is such a hassle to remove it from your pocket.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

NihilismNow posted:

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

and the wristwatch is going there slowly. it's gonna take a few decades since cheapo wristwatches sell in the 3rd world but it will happen.

I don't think so

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's a fashion thing rather than a practical thing though

Yeah no poo poo I have a clock on my phone, I wear a watch because I think it looks cool

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dave Concepcion posted:

I don't think so

well, on that we disagree. watches will continue to be popular status symbols for a while, maybe a few decades but i don't think the kids now will ever be that much into watches, smartphones and other gadgets are their status symbols.

brotato
May 14, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

the other things i mentioned have gone obsolete, and the wristwatch is going there slowly. it's gonna take a few decades since cheapo wristwatches sell in the 3rd world but it will happen.

My shop's best customers were all Chinese. Apparently watch culture is on the rise over there.

Also doctors buy a lot of watches, I guess to check the time while doing a surgery or w/e.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
butbutbut the time is right there in the corner of my computer monitor why would I ever wear something beautiful that makes me smile every time I look at it when the time is right there, it's highly illogical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

wristwatches evolved after pocketwatches as they are more convenient to check. a phone serves the same purpose in a time checking context as a pocketwatch; they're not going to replace wristwatches

• Locked thread