Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

anchoress posted:

just use weather.gov you fruits. they're the guys who get the weather data in the first place, weather.com just makes it into stupid charts and graphs and surrounds it with human interest stories

That's called context and without it, the weather has no meaning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I gave up on weather.com when they decided they were going to start naming winter storms and were all like "winter storm gandalf is coming with two inches of snow" and all the other meteorologists were looking at them and going "you stupid goddamn nerds"

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
or unix

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

kazmeyer posted:

I gave up on weather.com when they decided they were going to start naming winter storms and were all like "winter storm gandalf is coming with two inches of snow" and all the other meteorologists were looking at them and going "you stupid goddamn nerds"

its really a disgusting milestone in the ongoing entertainment-ification of the news. now winter storms are discrete media events which can be specifically hyped, advertised, and marketed. its no longer "a big storm coming to new england" its "WINTER STORM ICEFUCKER, CORNHOLING A TOWNSHIP NEAR YOU THIS SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!!"

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

our society's ability to commodify the loving weather into an entertainment-news product is as depressing as it is impressive

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
The weather man is a corporate loving shill

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

i'm too cool to have watched television for years now, is the weather channel full of reality TV and shows analogous to this lovely clickbait nowadays too

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

i can't believe anyone other than me saved that gif

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Sojenus posted:

i'm too cool to have watched television for years now, is the weather channel full of reality TV and shows analogous to this lovely clickbait nowadays too

aliens cause the weather. also hitler.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Sono posted:

aliens cause the weather. also hitler.

I knwe it

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

op your local news station probably lists local weather on their web site

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Natural progression of weather.com.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

haha yeah that's pretty wild op

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

time is a wastin posted:

The weather man is a corporate loving shill

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about! This winter has me freezing to loving death already, and then some piece of poo poo loving 'meteorologist' posts something like this

and I'm like, thanks, guy! I'm up to my rear end in fluffy white bullshit, and now you've got me straight in the eyes with your garbage pseudo-journalistic masturbation! You loving hacks!!!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

I LIKE FROSTYS posted:

They should change the name. Give Weather.Com to the people who just tell you the temp. They can move to OctopusNews or SnowOcean.net. Just my opinion, no flames please

Yeah! They loving should!!! Jesus christ, why doesn't someone put you in charge? You cunts!

e: sorry, gonna take a break for a little bit. sorry about that

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
do you know about Adblock plus op?

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Shadow posted:

do you know about Adblock plus op?

weather.com clickbait is hosted on weather.com

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Sojenus posted:

you

wouldn't

believe.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

:( did the seal die?

yeah, i don't want to check out weather.com.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Darkman Fanpage posted:

go to weather underground

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Every time I go to weather.com all the ads are for horrifying news stories. Like I just want to know if I should wear my jacket to work or not and it's all "YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW THIS BRIDE DIED ON HER WEDDING DAY" or "17 children drown after school bus plunges into lake" or something and then I'm sad. hosed up, imo.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
I use weather.gov op they let u know when obama is going to turn on the cias machines, bery nice

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Fat Guys in the Noods

Also weather.gov rocks for everything except amazing scaremongering headlines, at least until Rick Santorum tries to ban the taxpayer funded organization form giving data to the public again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Weather_Service_Duties_Act_of_2005

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Accuweather: There will probably be a couple inches of snow tomorrow.

Weather Underground: There will probably be a couple inches of snow tomorrow and here's a bunch more detailed information about that for weather nerds

Weatherspark: ooh pretty graphs and maps of the couple inches of snow we will probably get tomorrow

Weather.com: YOU ARE GOING TO DIE WINTER STORM "BAAL" TO DEVASTATE 2/3RDS OF THE COUNTRY Did you know your home is filled with poison? Learn More

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Thanks OP now I have to go to weather.com to find out what happens if you put snow in the ocean.

Edit: Ok I found out for you guys, heres the jist of it:

In Boston they are going to put some snow they've cleared from roads into the Boston Harbor and other waterways. Some people asked, "could this mess up the ocean?". One scientist said that its theoretically possible but you'd need like a whole bunch of snow because the ocean is big. Another scientist commented: "you guys do realize this happens anyway when the snow melts right?"

That's the story for you guys, hope I saved you some time. Brb gonna go try to spot the octopus.
edit2: you cannott spot the octopus, its camouflage is flawless.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 21, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hot Jam posted:

Edit: Ok I found out for you guys, heres the jist of it:

In Boston they are going to put some snow they've cleared from roads into the Boston Harbor and other waterways. Some people asked, "could this mess up the ocean?". One scientist said that its theoretically possible but you'd need like a whole bunch of snow because the ocean is big. Another scientist commented: "you guys do realize this happens anyway when the snow melts right?"

That's the story for you guys, hope I saved you some time. Brb gonna go try to spot the octopus.

I think the problem is more that the snow in question is often full of crud that was scooped off of the road along with it. It is preferable not to dump oil, trash, etc. directly into the ocean.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Earwicker posted:

Accuweather: There will probably be a couple inches of snow tomorrow.

Weather Underground: There will probably be a couple inches of snow tomorrow and here's a bunch more detailed information about that for weather nerds

Weatherspark: ooh pretty graphs and maps of the couple inches of snow we will probably get tomorrow

Weather.com: YOU ARE GOING TO DIE WINTER STORM "BAAL" TO DEVASTATE 2/3RDS OF THE COUNTRY Did you know your home is filled with poison? Learn More

Weather.gov: here are the unvarnished, real statistics regarding the weather which the rest of these chumps gin up to sell ads

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rambling Robot posted:

seal won, pussy rear end octopus had no game

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Darkman Fanpage posted:

go to weather underground

They recently have had ads on weatherunderground that automatically open your app store to game DLs. Yeah, not bothering with them anymore.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

They recently have had ads on weatherunderground that automatically open your app store to game DLs. Yeah, not bothering with them anymore.

forecast.io is good

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

withak posted:

I think the problem is more that the snow in question is often full of crud that was scooped off of the road along with it. It is preferable not to dump oil, trash, etc. directly into the ocean.

The ocean already IS everyone's ultimate trash can/dump so whatever damage this will do is already being done.

Oh well. Cities don't last forever. Eventually Boston, NYC and other lower sea level coastal cities will go away. Changing weather patterns will result in increased migration. What was once inhabitable will be habitable and vice-versa. And a poo poo ton of people will be casualties while it all sorts itself out.

exciting really :dance:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shadow posted:

The ocean already IS everyone's ultimate trash can/dump so whatever damage this will do is already being done.

yeah we have filled up the centers of the ocean with tiny plastic particles and have only begun to see the damage this is going to do, I don't think snow - a thing that naturally falls into the ocean all the time - is much to worry about in comparison, even dirty snow

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well if you are in a third-world country where storm drains run straight into the ocean instead of being treated, then you should at least make the trash do its own homework. Paying someone to scoop up junk off the street and dump it directly into the ocean is cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rambling Robot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwSKkKrUzUk

• Locked thread