Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

mweber posted:

Where in Cincinnati are you/willing to drive? I'd be surprised if Jungle Jim's didn't have hearts ready to go in their butcher shop.

They're who had it at $5/lb, which I think goes with their "exotic meats" angle of $20/lb kangaroo, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

kittenmittons posted:

I love goat, but there's only one place nearby that sells it. For loving 20 dollars a pound from their "exotic" meat freezer. :negative:

No arabic/halal/etc markets anywhere in your area? That's usually the place to go for the hookup on goat/mutton/lamb

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Archenteron posted:

No arabic/halal/etc markets anywhere in your area? That's usually the place to go for the hookup on goat/mutton/lamb

Haha no, I'm in central PA (aka pennsyltucky). Local butchers have beef, pork, poultry, for decent prices. One usually has some lamb, venison in the fall. Seafood selection is poo poo other than crabs in the warm months. Anything other than that I pretty much have to drive at least an hour for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I'm assuming I know what a bung is, but does pizzle refer to the wiener?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The real trick is to have your buddy text you the cut you want in either Chinese or Hangul, then show it to the butcher on your phone. If the place doesn't do English, you are in for major savings.

I have less luck at Halal markets because the meat is usually . . . Halal and there is a significant mark-up for that. Back in Indianapolis, I could go to an international market that had a Halal and a non-Halal butcher. So, you could get some choice meats for rock bottom prices. So good.

That said, I'll take the produce out here in California anyday. You want a real treat, that's where it is at. I'll take a real tomato over any cut of meat anyday.

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

KettleWL posted:

They're who had it at $5/lb, which I think goes with their "exotic meats" angle of $20/lb kangaroo, etc.

Findlays market.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I first tried chicken hearts from a Brazilian food truck a few years ago, marinated and grilled on a skewer. They were chewy, salty, rich, gamey, delicious. Nowadays, Publix sells them for $1.50 a pound, with very little in the way of any membranous material to cut off. I marinated them overnight in a local Italian restaurant's excellent house dressing, then sauteed them with thin-sliced onions and some finely-chopped cherry peppers and tossed everything with ditalini pasta. They were awesome, and I've since stocked up my freezer with more hearts.

They're low in fat, high in protein, and so much more flavorful than the bland boneless skinless chicken breasts I'm officially sick of. I greatly prefer thighs to breasts anyway, but my wife doesn't like any dark meat and wanted nothing to do with the hearts. More for me!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

rj54x posted:

I'm assuming I know what a bung is, but does pizzle refer to the wiener?

The bung is the rectum. The pizzle is indeed the bull dillz.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Suspect Bucket posted:

OXTAIL IS 6.50 A LB WTF

I bought a publix greenwise london broil for less. Holy balls.

By the way, london broil is fantastic marinated in italian dressing and soy sauce, then grilled rare. Get it on sale!

Yeah that's the price at all the white people grocery stores here. And to top it off it's almost always the lovely end pieces

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Neckbones, baby.

edit: if neckbones get expensive because I posted this I'm blaming all of you and will hold a grudge forever and ever.

Under the vegetable fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 28, 2015

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Also hog maws. It's pork stomach lining and it's basically a weird muscle. Good poo poo and probably less than a dollar a pound. Don't gently caress this up for me guys.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Yeah that's the price at all the white people grocery stores here. And to top it off it's almost always the lovely end pieces

White people, Hell, that's what is is at the asian grocers here.

Since we;'ve re-entered the gilded age of the 1%, I nominate marrow bones (and their spoons) to make a comeback. They're maybe $3 a kilogram even at the expensive grocer.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 28, 2015

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015
Pig snout isn't half bad, I can get them from my local butcher for 1.75$ each. Not sure exactly what they weigh. The same butcher will also sell and/or give away eyes.

I also regularly travel to remote communities and I can usually trade relatively inexpensive items for large cuts of meat, or whole fish. If you have that opportunity try it out.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Matt18001 posted:

Pig snout isn't half bad, I can get them from my local butcher for 1.75$ each. Not sure exactly what they weigh. The same butcher will also sell and/or give away eyes.

I also regularly travel to remote communities and I can usually trade relatively inexpensive items for large cuts of meat, or whole fish. If you have that opportunity try it out.

my sister shoved 3 caribou worth of meat into a gigantic used freezer she got because she'd be given whole caribou (broken down, and including the hide) by locals when she worked out in remote bush communities

we made caribourguignon every week for like 2 months and hardly put a dent in the supply

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

wheez the roux posted:

my sister shoved 3 caribou worth of meat into a gigantic used freezer she got because she'd be given whole caribou (broken down, and including the hide) by locals when she worked out in remote bush communities

we made caribourguignon every week for like 2 months and hardly put a dent in the supply

Burg and jerky that summbitch, hooah. Expect full report by next month's end.

Cariburgin it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Pig feet is real cheap, but I have no idea what to do with it other than to weird out my roommates by leaving it in the fridge.

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015

Leper Residue posted:

Pig feet is real cheap, but I have no idea what to do with it other than to weird out my roommates by leaving it in the fridge.

Typically used in stews or soups. The little bits of meat on them are pretty good actually.

Anyone here tried balut? I hear it tastes good just can't get over eating a fetus.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Matt18001 posted:

Typically used in stews or soups. The little bits of meat on them are pretty good actually.

Anyone here tried balut? I hear it tastes good just can't get over eating a fetus.

I don't like the crunchiness of it. Taste wise it's fine, it's the texture that killed me.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It's amusing (also depressing) seeing the cycle of a new popular fish hit the market at a decent price (tilapia in 2008/9, swai in 2012/2013) and then see the price double or triple in short order. I wonder what will be the next one.

I'm personally hoping its some invasive species so that they can just be eradicated and eaten in short order like lionfish.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's amusing (also depressing) seeing the cycle of a new popular fish hit the market at a decent price (tilapia in 2008/9, swai in 2012/2013) and then see the price double or triple in short order. I wonder what will be the next one.

I'm personally hoping its some invasive species so that they can just be eradicated and eaten in short order like lionfish.

Swai was my go-to whitefish before the prices jumped. Now I use flounder, as it's still about half the price of other white fishes.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

Asian Carp

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

White people, Hell, that's what is is at the asian grocers here.

Since we;'ve re-entered the gilded age of the 1%, I nominate marrow bones (and their spoons) to make a comeback. They're maybe $3 a kilogram even at the expensive grocer.

How long till we can buy parts of the 99% and eat them?

Derek of the Andes
Dec 10, 2009

Snakeheads

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Unfortunately, invasive food items sometimes become a bigger problem once popular. Like wild hog. Some people out to make a buck release a pair of pigs on their land, pigs get out of hand, there goes your ecosystem.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Leper Residue posted:

Pig and chicken feet are both used in Adobo dishes.

Recipe:
Meat
One part shoyu
one part apple cider vinegar
one part water
a few smashed garlic
Some peppercorns
two bayleaf
boil it all together then simmer until liquid is almost gone.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Gardenator posted:

Pig and chicken feet are both used in Adobo dishes.

Recipe:
Meat
One part shoyu
one part apple cider vinegar
one part water
a few smashed garlic
Some peppercorns
two bayleaf
boil it all together then simmer until liquid is almost gone.

Pig's Foot Souse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I1YAVrFtpg

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Filipino cooking in general is poised to be the next "big" thing. It's already reached local saturation. Get on that bandwagon while it is still cheap and awesome.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nohearum posted:

How long till we can buy parts of the 99% and eat them?

"In a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court of the United States..." :v:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Under the vegetable posted:

Neckbones, baby.

edit: if neckbones get expensive because I posted this I'm blaming all of you and will hold a grudge forever and ever.

Dirt cheap turkey neckbones are my favorite part of Thanksgiving. Also the one year I worked the holidays at a barbecue restaurant where we brined and smoked some 500+ turkeys I was allowed to take home all the neckbones and giblets I could ever want.

You can still get tilapia and swai really cheap at restaurant supply warehouses if you're okay with buying 10-20lb at once. My local Cash & Carry has a 15lb case of 5-7oz portion swai filets for $31.

Pork butt is still real cheap, too.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Leper Residue posted:

Cook it like in the most famous pig feet restaurant in Paris

Simmer for 4 hours in broth, coat in breadcrumbs and finish in oven.

Way cheaper than veal liver and way better than pig liver:

chicken livers

don't let them overcook though

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I first tried chicken hearts from a Brazilian food truck a few years ago, marinated and grilled on a skewer.

Unprepared chicken gizzards are also cheap and delicious, but they do require proper cooking otherwise they are just too chewy (slow cooking, marinated or the best: confit)

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 4, 2015

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
Manteca brand Lard on toast, or as a sandwich.

Feel free to add a couple pieces of bacon jerky and some shredded cheddar cheese to make it even tastier.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Unprepared chicken gizzards are also cheap and delicious

I challenge this statement, they are gross as gently caress.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I'm officially declaring that jackfruit will be this year's hot "exotic" item. It's already popping up at Whole Foods in little slices.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Laminator posted:

I'm officially declaring that jackfruit will be this year's hot "exotic" item. It's already popping up at Whole Foods in little slices.

Why little slices? Those things are bigger than footballs.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Why little slices? Those things are bigger than footballs.

Do you think people that shop at Whole Foods would know what to do with a spiky 10kg jackfruit monstrosity?

(full disclosure, I shop at Whole Foods)

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Jakcson posted:

Manteca brand Lard on toast, or as a sandwich.

Feel free to add a couple pieces of bacon jerky and some shredded cheddar cheese to make it even tastier.

manteca isn't a brand, it's spanish for lard

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

wheez the roux posted:

manteca isn't a brand, it's spanish for lard

I was waiting for someone to catch that. ;)

Seriously though, that stuff is great when you are really hungry and haven't eaten anything for a couple days.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Millow posted:

Asian Carp

I think I read something where a Chicago fishmonger delivered a bunch to various top chefs around town and challenged them to do something with it. I remember the conclusion being that the Asian Carp is just a really lovely fish to butcher, cook, and eat.

E: found it http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/asian-carp-cooking-chicago-chefs/Content?oid=1571974

quote:

Paul Kahan's crew didn't try that hard. "After a few attempts at butchering, we were adequately creeped out and will not go any further," he e-mailed.

E2: lol http://michiganradio.org/post/michigan-chefs-experiment-asian-carp

quote:

“Once we pulled all the meat off, you kinda see the bone structure – there are bones going through the center of the meat. A pike has got that kind of Y-bone, so it’s got that Y-bone thing but it’s also just got these bones in the most bizarre places.”

There was a lot of talk about how to deal with bones.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

So I made that heart! First time cooking heart, and first time cooking red meat in a really long time. Turned out pretty well I think, was a delicious meal at least. Sauteed up some summer squash, zucchini, and mushrooms, then broiled tomatoes and a piece of spinach and feta pretzel bread in the cast iron (with the grease and aromatics left behind from the steak) while the steak rested. It was perfect medium-rare when I pulled it, but I didn't think to snap a pic until I'd already eaten half of it, so the carry-over let it get a little too done. It was pretty delicious, but by the time I trimmed the fat/silver-skin it worked out to be about the same cost as the mark down meat at Kroger, except much more of a PITA to get it ready. I'm not sure if I'll mess with it again any time soon, but it was definitely a fun experience. Anything else that might be cheap and fun to try? I'm thinking chicken livers might be next, I've only ever had them deep-fried, and that feels like cheating.

• Locked thread