Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Dude hands down right now is beef heart. Still under 1.50 a pound.

It's lean as hell so treat it like bison, clean it real well, trim it down into steaks. I like to soak mine for a bit in salty water to season it. Then pepper and sear the fucker and call it a day.

It's like concentrated beef flavor with a hint of gamey-ness. Goes great with a chimichurri or Gorgonzola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

KettleWL posted:

I very rarely eat red meat, but I called around and found a local spot with beef heart for $2 a pound, no idea how much of it I will have to trim off, but I placed an order. Giving this a shot next week when it arrives. Any advice aside from your general run down and this website/video google pointed me towards?

No ruhlman pretty much explains what to do. You might lose 10% to trim, it's all surface stuff you trim off.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Suspect Bucket posted:

6.99 A LB OXTAIL TODAY

Taking bets on how high it can rise, or if we have reached Peak Oxtail. Good glorious gently caress. For reference, neckbones and beef heart were right next to them for 1.99 a lb. Sirlon was 5 a lb.

Also need reccomendations for how to cook beef tounge, since I ordered one in on a whim.

I have seen oxtail here for 8-10 a pound and just laughed my rear end off. Tongue here is 6-8 which is loving stupid

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/04/tacos-de-lengua-recipe.html

There. That's what to do with tongue, also you can corn it or make it into pastrami.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I need to clear out my freezer. I can buy everything at restaurant depot for cheap per pound.. I just have to buy 40-50 lbs of it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

rj54x posted:

I'm assuming I know what a bung is, but does pizzle refer to the wiener?

The bung is the rectum. The pizzle is indeed the bull dillz.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Matt18001 posted:

Typically used in stews or soups. The little bits of meat on them are pretty good actually.

Anyone here tried balut? I hear it tastes good just can't get over eating a fetus.

I don't like the crunchiness of it. Taste wise it's fine, it's the texture that killed me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Laminator posted:

I'm officially declaring that jackfruit will be this year's hot "exotic" item. It's already popping up at Whole Foods in little slices.

Why little slices? Those things are bigger than footballs.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Republicans posted:

Head cheese sounds mighty good right now, and a cheap delicacy in its own right. Until some posh rear end in a top hat makes up a name for it that doesn't make most people gag, anyways.

Just say it in french Fromage de tete de porc. Or just tete fromagee

Also chicken heart yakotori is loving phenomenal.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 15, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Misogynist posted:

I just bought an 8-pound pork shoulder at BJ's for $10. Brisket's up to $6.50 a pound now, though. Ugh.

That's loving brutal. Even Sysco and RD are charging 4 bucks at least for angus or choice though. So it isn't just you getting hosed.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Sweetbreads are 45 cents a lbs at my local mart... I am so very tempted.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Yeah pork butt should be even cheaper and actually makes good sausage.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Made that one day for the wife. It's loving delicious. The vanilla is so subtle with just the one tap it's actually very good and works well,with the tomato sauce. Just think of Moorish style dishes with the nutmeg and cinnamon and whatnot an dots the same thing.

Make it. Eat it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I collect them all the time from the roads around here. They are delicious.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shbobdb posted:

I always want to do this. Stupid question, but how can you tell if they are ripe and do they ripen after harvest?

First off wear gloves the entire time, second off if they are reddish purple and slightly soft, they are good to go. The ones around here usually drop their spines when they are ripe as well. But be on he safe side and wear some loving thick rear end leather gloves.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Republicans posted:

If I can get 80/20 ground turkey I might believe you.

Grind it yourself. 80% turkey 20% pork fat back.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
A good fresh ground beef burger with Gorgonzola and sweet onions is better than any loving turkey burger any day.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Yeah chicken livers here are 39 cents a pound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I have bought the full stalks before but never seen one in the ground. What a weird rear end plant.

• Locked thread